Arsenal 2017/2018

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal

Loke

Supports
Arsenal
would prefer lemar over mahrez, who seems more like a one season wonder than anything else. Also already got ozil to be lazy on the pitch, we really can't afford 2 players on the pitch jogging around nonchalantly and doing 0 defensive work

lacazette should be in the bag, though its a pointless signing if sanchez leaves.

Either way should be yet another drama filled season

Blind

It all depends on Sanchez, if he stays you could be looking at more than just a top four finish, if he leaves it's the same old story. Wenger seems to be targeting the right players which is a good sign. I still think you need a more intelligent presence in midfield, I don't think Cazorla's back until the end of the year and you could do with another centre back who's comfortable on the ball if you're continuing with the three at the back.

Angelinho

Will likely start the season with a weaker squad than last season, with Sanchez departing. His transfer will be deeply unpopular with the fans, many of whom didn't want Wenger to renew his contract. Arsenal need to start the season strongly, else the mood at The Emirates will turn toxic.

The early fixtures represent a tough start to the season. They could fall behind in the title race very early on.

First five fixtures
Leicester (H)
Stoke (A)
Liverpool (A)
Bournemouth (H)
Chelsea (A)

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Conversely they get three of their shittiest away fixtures done very early. Probably before the opposition are in full flight. Worked in our favour last season and no reason it can't for them this.

Morpheus 7

I honestly think Arsenal are in big trouble this season. The EL will mess up there league form, we know all about it and we had a stronger squad. You know it will be poison in the stands at the first sign of trouble, it's going to get ugly. I wonder how good the recruitment will be this window. They need to keep Sanchez.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I honestly think Arsenal are in big trouble this season. The EL will mess up there league form, we know all about it and we had a stronger squad. You know it will be poison in the stands at the first sign of trouble, it's going to get ugly. I wonder how good the recruitment will be this window. They need to keep Sanchez.
They'll play the kids in the EL. Their squad isn't strong enough not to.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
They'll play the kids in the EL. Their squad isn't strong enough not to.
Yeah, the Europa is actually easier to deal with than the CL in the fall, as you can play kids and bench players and still advance. In the spring, EL is more difficult bc you need to start playing your best eleven at some point. But Arsenal should know by then whether or not to prioritize the league.

Overall, I don't think the Europa will hurt Arsenal much. What will hurt is losing Sanchez, if it happens. There is no player we could realistically get that will be nearly as good. But if we keep Sanchez and Ozil and play the 3-4-3 with Lacazette up top then we should be competitive for top four, although not for the title.

Last edited:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Yeah, the Europa is actually easier to deal with than the CL in the fall, as you can play kids and bench players and still advance. In the spring, EL is more difficult bc you need to start playing your best eleven at some point. But Arsenal should know by then whether or not to prioritize the league.

Overall, I don't think the Europa will hurt Arsenal much. What will hurt is losing Sanchez, if it happens. There is no player we could realistically get that will be nearly as good. But if we keep Sanchez and Ozil and play the 3-4-3 with Lacazette up top then we should be competitive for top four, if not for the title.
You won't challenge for the title until you have some depth.

Your front 3 would all be nailed on starters whilst the back up options are vastly inferior.

Also for what seems like the 10th year running you need to add steel to that midfield. Willam carvalho would be perfect for you lot but doubt Wenger will pay the money for him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's all up to whether Wenger doesn't shoot out their kneecaps, as he's done for the past 3-4 years

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
would prefer lemar over mahrez, who seems more like a one season wonder than anything else. Also already got ozil to be lazy on the pitch, we really can't afford 2 players on the pitch jogging around nonchalantly and doing 0 defensive work

lacazette should be in the bag, though its a pointless signing if sanchez leaves.

Either way should be yet another drama filled season
We could have both, even because Lemar would more Cazorla's replacement, imo.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Will likely start the season with a weaker squad than last season, with Sanchez departing. His transfer will be deeply unpopular with the fans, many of whom didn't want Wenger to renew his contract. Arsenal need to start the season strongly, else the mood at The Emirates will turn toxic.

The early fixtures represent a tough start to the season. They could fall behind in the title race very early on.

First five fixtures
Leicester (H)
Stoke (A)
Liverpool (A)
Bournemouth (H)
Chelsea (A)
Now that we have finally beaten Stoke away, i am confident we have finally break the deadlock over there.

Bjerring

Above everything and all Arsenal have to keep Sanchez, it can turn ugly for them if he is not there. Always seems to be the one, who grabs the game by the neck for them. I kinda of feel like everybody bar Sanchez faded or went missing last season for Arsenal. The two primary signings they been linked with right now Lacazette and Lemar would really suit them, and would take some of the burden off Sanchez (if he is there).

I reckon they need a new centerback, especially if Wenger is going to play 3 at the back, as his go to backline. Koscielny looked at little under par at the end of the season, and with Gabriel being terrible at football and Mertesacker coming to the end. At new strong centerback would suit them.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Cazorla has started as AM and then become a deep-lying playmaker, tbh. But maybe Ceballos is already ready.
Cazorla's worth to you is as a DLP

Also, i'm not sure Lemar could work with Ozil. Interest in him only makes sense to me if you're expecting to lose the german

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Cazorla's worth to you is as a DLP

Also, i'm not sure Lemar could work with Ozil. Interest in him only makes sense to me if you're expecting to lose the german
I don't think we are getting both Lemar and Mahrez with Lacazette. So it's gonna be in this way:

1) Lemar Ozil

Lacazette

2)Mahrez Ozil

Lacazette

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don't think we are getting both Lemar and Mahrez with Lacazette. So it's gonna be in this way:

1) Lemar Ozil

Lacazette

2)Mahrez Ozil

Lacazette
Lemar and Ozil are too similar imho - neither scores enough. The two of them plus Alexis and Lacazette will create the same problems Iwobi did

It's no coincidence after you moved to 3 at the back your attack got so much better, you finally started giving Alexis, Ozil and Ramsey the space, freedom and movement they needed, with nobody stepping in their way while also having a better shape in spacing during build-up from the back and more men in midfield

I think unless Wenger sticks with a back-3, your biggest problem is in midfield

If he sticks with the back-3 on the other hand, midfield is fine and you should loom to upgrade LWB, one CB position and CF

Alexis and Ozil will need to be replaced accordingly if they leave, but that shouldn't be too difficult

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Looking forward to another season of Troopz, DT, Claude and Ty meltdown greatness:drool:

Djemba-Djemba

You won't challenge for the title until you have some depth.

Your front 3 would all be nailed on starters whilst the back up options are vastly inferior.

Also for what seems like the 10th year running you need to add steel to that midfield. Willam carvalho would be perfect for you lot but doubt Wenger will pay the money for him.
I don't think they'll challenge for the title as long as Wenger is manager.

If they sell Sanchez to City and endure their usual bad start the atmosphere is going to be absolutely toxic. It makes it all the more baffling Wenger has signed on for 2 more years of this.

I know he's going to be getting a lot of money but he's already a multi millionaire. As stubborn and deluded as he can appear to be surely even he knows how divided the fanbase is.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Lacazatte is a perfect Arsenal signing. Can't help but feel it's to cushion the blow of losing Sanchez. But what a replacement.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Lacazatte is a perfect Arsenal signing. Can't help but feel it's to cushion the blow of losing Sanchez. But what a replacement.
But if Arsenal wants to do anything this season they need to actually improve the current squad rather than just replacing players. Signing Lacazette without losing Sanchez means their squad has improved but without Sanchez it's just meh.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
If you get Lacazette and somehow keep Alexis and Golem then you should be pretty dangerous. Wenger is always a liability though plus you will need a bigger squad for the EL so it could be a mixed bag for you lot next season

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
I thought the same but he's really developed that side of his game lately. A couple of years ago what you are saying was correct, now however I think he's developed enough to be ready for the move.
Well I haven't watched him regularly enough but I always thought he was lethargic on the ball and in terms of distance he covered. We'll see how good he is when he moves to a better league. Either way it'd be a disaster for us paired with Xhaka who is also lethargic. Ideally we need a high energy B2B with great control under pressure.

Striker is probably more important that that though and Lacazette looks like very clinical if not world class.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
What are the chances of Sanchez actually leaving this window though?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If we kept on playing with a 3-4-3 Mahrez would surely replace Sanchez and Laca Giroud, with Kolasinac as LWB.
Something like this?
Cech
Mustafi - Koscielny - Monreal(?)
Oxlade-Chamberlain - Xhaka - Ramsey(?) - Kolasinac
Mahrez - Lacazette - Ozil
No interest in any new CBs? I imagine Holding will be given a larger role, but with Mertesacker having barely even featured, do you not need another?

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
What are the chances of Sanchez actually leaving this window though?
He'll be sold if

A) He doesn't resign and
B) There's an appropriate offer.

With B it'd need to be pretty high given the probability of losing CL football is worth 50m alone.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They had one job this summer.
Stop Sanchez going to City.
Seems they're going to bottle it.