Arsenal 2017/2018

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What are the chances of Sanchez actually leaving this window though?
To you? High. You're in win-now mode, you'll overpay and they will sell. Something upwards of £70M in transfer fee.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
He'll be sold if

A) He doesn't resign and
B) There's an appropriate offer.

With B it'd need to be pretty high given the probability of losing CL football is worth 50m alone.
Yeah no way he'll go for free next season. Need to sell now in my opinion.

To you? High. You're in win-now mode, you'll overpay and they will sell. Something upwards of £70M in transfer fee.
Not in his last year, no way. £50m I'd say.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They will not sell to you for that. They'll demand close to a world record fee, and you will pay it, because you can afford it and you want to win in 2017/18, not two years from now

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah no way he'll go for free next season. Need to sell now in my opinion.

But 50m is very low in this market and you can't get any type of replacement for that money. I'm not sure if it's worth selling him for that and potentially losing out on CL money in 18/19.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I'll be very surprised if City get Sanchez. He either moves abroad or doesn't move at all imo

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I thought the same but he's really developed that side of his game lately. A couple of years ago what you are saying was correct, now however I think he's developed enough to be ready for the move.
Please explain. I don't understand this. What has he developed?

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
But 50m is very low in this market and you can't get any type of replacement for that money. I'm not sure if it's worth selling him for that and potentially losing out on CL money in 18/19.
If he goes for free next season you've lost out on money anyway.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
They will not sell to you for that. They'll demand close to a world record fee, and you will pay it, because you can afford it and you want to win in 2017/18, not two years from now
It's possible because if not, he can go for nothing in one year.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's possible because if not, he can go for nothing in one year.
They can afford to lose him on a free. They will sell only if doing so would allow them to improve to team. And £50M is not nearly enough for that. I don't think they'd even sell him abroad for that

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
If he goes for free next season you've lost out on money anyway.
Right but we'll get CL football so we'll break even. Plus we'll have him play for another year on a lowish contract, where he'll play out of his skin to get the best contract. If we keep him we compete for the title, if we lose him we don't. Then whoever gets him next summer gets a 29yo Sanchez about to turn 30, who will have little of his prime left. If he doesn't have a great season next year does he get his 300k plus a week at another club at 29?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Imo, this is a goer.
City are playing the long game.
Sanchez is playing his part by pricing other suitors out.
What is clear is, ultimately Arsenal will not let him run down his contract.
City will be the only club lurking and Arsenal will be forced to negotiate.
What determines when it's done is how quickly Arsenal come to the realisation this guys isn't signing a new deal.
Imo, this will be done mid August as the season starts.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Right but we'll get CL football so we'll break even. Plus we'll have him play for another year on a lowish contract, where he'll play out of his skin to get the best contract. If we keep him we compete for the title, if we lose him we don't. Then whoever gets him next summer gets a 29yo Sanchez about to turn 30, who will have little of his prime left. If he doesn't have a great season next year does he get his 300k plus a week at another club at 29?
I can't see how Arsenal would let a £50m asset run down his contract. This is Stan kreonke we're talking about.
Arsenal and City will come to a compromise. I'm fairly confident that will be the case.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The only problem is that cl part is just hypothetical, if you keep him and don't get cl which is a big probability you lose 50 million

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
I can't see how Arsenal would let a £50m asset run down his contract. This is Stan kreonke we're talking about.
Arsenal and City will come to a compromise. I'm fairly confident that will be the case.
I suppose the 2 questions are:

A) Can playing hard ball with high wages retain him?
B) What's the least we'd sell said asset and the opportunity cost for? There's obviously a point where it's not worth selling him and another point where it is.

I won't saying he won't leave but 50m would be leaving on the cheap when you look at what Higuain went for and what Morata/Lukaku are being priced at. Plus on top of that it's City who pay 50m for defenders who can't defend.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
The only problem is that cl part is just hypothetical, if you keep him and don't get cl which is a big probability you lose 50 million
Maybe but it's likely we qualify with him with the re-inforcements we're signing and our late season form. City are less likely to qualify without signing him, so selling to them shoots ourselves in the foot somewhat.

Liverpool beat us by a point and will have to play twice a week instead of once. Chelsea will have the same problem and will probably lose Costa.

We also have 2 qualifying routes.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
When watching him for Portugal his passing seems to have gone up a notch from what I remember previously were everything was kept incredibly simple.
Ah yes, i agree. He was always a decent passer but he did improve. You are correct.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
10-20% at most and that's only because Kroenke is known to make some poor business decisions for his sports clubs.

I am firmly convinced Wenger is desperate to keep Sanchez for next season. I bet he prefers the risk losing him on a free to the risk to his legacy should we lose Sanchez and have another poor season.

I can almost guarantee Wenger does not want the heat he knows he will take if he lets City mug us off for Sanchez.

Last edited:

Nori-

Every time I talk to someone about Arsenals chances next season, they always say "They'll be good next season, no Champions League to worry about". Eerrmm They're in the UEFA Cup which means Thursday night games, which in my opinion are more of a burden than Tues/Wed night Champions League games.

Also if Lacazette joins, it doesn't automatically mean they will be better if it results in Sanchez leaving. The latter player is miles better.

We will see how this transfer window pans out for them but unfortunately I think its going to be another finish outside teh top 4 in 17/18.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Something like this?
Cech
Mustafi - Koscielny - Monreal(?)
Oxlade-Chamberlain - Xhaka - Ramsey(?) - Kolasinac
Mahrez - Lacazette - Ozil
No interest in any new CBs? I imagine Holding will be given a larger role, but with Mertesacker having barely even featured, do you not need another?
No, i hope we buy another CB, albeit i have a big hope for Holding. Looked good last season.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Every time I talk to someone about Arsenals chances next season, they always say "They'll be good next season, no Champions League to worry about". Eerrmm They're in the UEFA Cup which means Thursday night games, which in my opinion are more of a burden than Tues/Wed night Champions League games.

Also if Lacazette joins, it doesn't automatically mean they will be better if it results in Sanchez leaving. The latter player is miles better.

We will see how this transfer window pans out for them but unfortunately I think its going to be another finish outside teh top 4 in 17/18.
I agree, I think they'll struggle next season and should have got rid of Wenger as soon as the FA Cup was won.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
As an opposition fan, nothing comforts us more than seeing wenger is still at your helm. Great guy, keep on giving him contracts people! :lol:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I agree, I think they'll struggle next season and should have got rid of Wenger as soon as the FA Cup was won.
I revel in the fact I told Arsenal fans (on here mostly - they've all taken flights to somewhere :) ) that Wenger needed sacking about 6/7 years ago. And I listed out my valid reasons to which nearly every one has become reality. It was good to be mocked and ridiculed by all and sundry back then (yes including Utd fans). It meant Arsenal would keep Wenger for those 7 years and we're still counting. :D

Yes Liverpool have been largely shit in those seven years. But we've not stood still. Moving backwards to go forwards is still movement whether its successful or not. Standing still is bringing stagnation into your ethos, and happily accepting it as progress.

John_Jensen

I revel in the fact I told Arsenal fans (on here mostly - they've all taken flights to somewhere :) ) that Wenger needed sacking about 6/7 years ago. And I listed out my valid reasons to which nearly every one has become reality. It was good to be mocked and ridiculed by all and sundry back then (yes including Utd fans). It meant Arsenal would keep Wenger for those 7 years and we're still counting. :D

Yes Liverpool have been largely shit in those seven years. But we've not stood still. Moving backwards to go forwards is still movement whether its successful or not. Standing still is bringing stagnation into your ethos, and happily accepting it as progress.

Liverpool are shit & Arsenal will finish ahead of them next year after Klopp flogs your players to death by February.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Why? I would still take him here. Great winger, with trickery.
If he's a replacement for Sanchez or Ozil it's depressing. If he's signed as a squad player I feel like there are tonnes of better (and cheaper) options, or positions we could strengthen.

His last season was also pathetic. Vardy's been better for the last 18 months, and I don't want to sign him either.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
If there's one thing I'm certain of though, it's that we'll finish ahead of Liverpool next season.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Liverpool fans are so damn giddy. If you read their posts, you'd think that their team finished champions last season instead of holding on to 4th by the skin of their teeth and that was when they played the least of amount overall matches out of the top6.

Angelinho

Sanchez, Ozil and the Ox all down to the last year of their contracts and refusing to sign another. Would be very un-Arsenal-like to force them to see out their final year. Bellerin also reportedly wants out. Big summer ahead for Wenger - he can't afford to dither as he has done in previous summers. The Mahrez of last season playing alongside Ozil would see them likely go missing in more than a few matches. Tough season ahead.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Sanchez, Ozil and the Ox all down to the last year of their contracts and refusing to sign another. Would be very un-Arsenal-like to force them to see out their final year. Bellerin also reportedly wants out. Big summer ahead for Wenger - he can't afford to dither as he has done in previous summers. The Mahrez of last season playing alongside Ozil would see them likely go missing in more than a few matches. Tough season ahead.
Sanchez is off right now. I'm guessing Ozil would stay and see out his contract and then move somewhere else. Ox should really be staying considering his performances in the 3-5-2 system Arsenal used in the last few matches.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
If he's a replacement for Sanchez or Ozil it's depressing. If he's signed as a squad player I feel like there are tonnes of better (and cheaper) options, or positions we could strengthen.

His last season was also pathetic. Vardy's been better for the last 18 months, and I don't want to sign him either.
Different players and we know Sanchez is about to leave, despite Arsenal saying the opposite. We could still sign Lemar with Lacazette and Mahrez though.

John_Jensen

dumb post.

Arsenal are going to lose key players. They have a weaker squad than Liverpool.

btw Mourinho sacrificed league position to win the Europa Cup and a CL spot.

A dumb post in response to a dumb post. Liverpool are shit, their keeper is shit, their defense is shit, Klopps pressing will only get them so far and they won't finish ahead of Arsenal next season if even if we sell every striker we have and resign Sanogo.

And Mourinho didn't sacrifice the league, you were 6th all season because you were shit & Mourinho's no risk, 'stifle any game against decent opposition to death' mind-numbingly boring approach to football.

Needham

Seems that Sanchez draws a lot of the opprobrium that should be heading Ozil's way. No greater go-missing greedy disappointment in North London football today with his 300 + thousand pound a week new contract demand. Very very hard to be motivated to actually pay money to go watch such creatures, why does anyone do it?