Arsenal 2017/2018

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I don't think any sane Arsenal fan is expecting us to challenge seriously for the title next season. If United fans want to talk up our chances then more power to them, but it's misrepresentation to claim it's Arsenal fans bigging ourselves up
The basis for any optimism amongst United fans is likely the fact our manager is a serial winner. As it happens, I see morale as being pretty low amongst our fanbase at the minute. Most are having a stress about lack of transfer activity. Even though it's the same for all clubs. And it's July 2. :lol:

John_Jensen

Wenger was the third highest spender last summe and yet he finished fifth. All the clubs that finished above Arsenal bar City spent less than Arsenal. Wenger has been failing for more than a decade, Jose was a champ 2 seasons ago.
And since then he's been sacked whilst 16th in the table and finished 6th with the most expensively assembled squad in the history of the league.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
In terms of output (read goals and assists). Yes, he would be imo. Not significant improvement and he is severely overrated.
I rate him very highly and am fairly confident he will be a bit hit in the Prem. Great singing for them if it happens.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Don't think we are only getting Lacazette upfront.
I'm sure you'll get others in, but can't judge those as it's all speculation. The one that looks a done deal is Lacazette and he's seriously underwhelming for €53m plus add ons.

Mahrez would be a very good addition providing you get his title winning form, although he appears to have a mental fragility typical of an Arsenal player.

Retaining Sanchez is the best business Arsenal could do this summer.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
And since then he's been sacked whilst 16th in the table and finished 6th with the most expensively assembled squad in the history of the league.
Your slurs aren't even factually correct.

Anyway, I'll tell you what Mourinho also is - in the Champions League.

John_Jensen

Your slurs aren't even factually correct.

Anyway, I'll tell you what Mourinho also is - in the Champions League.
Slurs? :lol:

Unclench man, try to take things a little less seriously. You'll enjoy yourself more.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I'm sure you'll get others in, but can't judge those as it's all speculation. The one that looks a done deal is Lacazette and he's seriously underwhelming for €53m plus add ons.

Mahrez would be a very good addition providing you get his title winning form, although he appears to have a mental fragility typical of an Arsenal player.

Retaining Sanchez is the best business Arsenal could do this summer.
What are your opinions of Morata for €70/80M Euros?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
What are your opinions of Morata for €70/80M Euros?
Overinflated fee - which is the theme of the summer, so I'm not getting too worried about it. I do think that he fits the profile of what we should be looking for - good age, big club experience and the sort of centre forward that Mourinho has experience of getting beastly performances from.

Z_Wolf

He finished 16th because of players' revolt and the club not getting him the players he wanted. Not because of some tactical ineptitude. Even then he had won the League the season before.

At United, he only bought 4 players since he came to United, He's not responsible for poor buisness by previous managers. Funnily enough, Jose has won more european trophies at united than Wenger in the entirety of his career.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He finished 16th because of players' revolt and the club not getting him the players he wanted. Not because of some tactical ineptitude. Even then he had won the League the season before.

At United, he only bought 4 players since he came to United, He's not responsible for poor buisness by previous managers. Funnily enough, Jose has won more european trophies at united than Wenger in the entirety of his career.
Ouch.

:lol:

John_Jensen

What, or who, caused the revolt?

And Wenger hasn't won the league because not only would the board not get him the players he wanted but also sold all his best players to his rivals. He has underperformed in Europe, granted.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool fans are so damn giddy. If you read their posts, you'd think that their team finished champions last season instead of holding on to 4th by the skin of their teeth and that was when they played the least of amount overall matches out of the top6.
Commenting on Arsenal's repetitive failings has nothing to do with Liverpool.

They should have moved on from Wenger years ago and regardless of what happens with us, I think there's a good chance that they'll go through their annual drop off and the Wenger Out/Wenger In civil war will kick off again.

John_Jensen

Commenting on Arsenal's repetitive failings has nothing to do with Liverpool.

They should have moved on from Wenger years ago and regardless of what happens with us, I think there's a good chance that they'll go through their annual drop off and the Wenger Out/Wenger In civil war will kick off again.
They've repetitively won the FA Cup recently, what the feck have Liverpool done?

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
We will sell Sanchez to a rival, he will win them the league. We will sign one player, maybe scrape fourth. Wenger defenders will hail that as an improvement, he'll feel as if he's won a trophy. All will be well. Then next summer Wenger will sign another extension claiming we are ''ready'', we will sell Bellerin or some other top player and scrape fourth again or 5th and repeat.

This club is going nowhere under him, Sanchez is 29, he has no reason to stay a club that fails every year. Who can blame him?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
They've repetitively won the FA Cup recently, what the feck have Liverpool done?
That's great but they've consistently stood still in the league for years and can't progress anywhere in the CL. I don't think Wenger has it in him to get them competitive again.

Again I don't know why Liverpool are relevant in a conversation about Arsenal?

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
I revel in the fact I told Arsenal fans (on here mostly - they've all taken flights to somewhere :) ) that Wenger needed sacking about 6/7 years ago. And I listed out my valid reasons to which nearly every one has become reality. It was good to be mocked and ridiculed by all and sundry back then (yes including Utd fans). It meant Arsenal would keep Wenger for those 7 years and we're still counting. :D

Yes Liverpool have been largely shit in those seven years. But we've not stood still. Moving backwards to go forwards is still movement whether its successful or not. Standing still is bringing stagnation into your ethos, and happily accepting it as progress.
You revel in the fact that we've kept a manager that has finished above you nearly the last 21 seasons and will do the same next season because you have no depth and will be tired from the busier fixture list. OK buddy. All that despite paying a stadium off and having no money to spend for a decade.

Ban

You revel in the fact that we've kept a manager that has finished above you nearly the last 21 seasons and will do the same next season because you have no depth and will be tired from the busier fixture list. OK buddy. All that despite paying a stadium off and having no money to spend for a decade.
Still going with a stadium excuse?

I can bet you that Liverpool will finish above Arsenal next season. Despite the fact we like to laugh at them they're on a right path or at least a better path than Arsenal.

John_Jensen

Given all what happened in recent years and given they've kept Wenger they should hide somewhere and be quiet but no.
Hide from what? Gloryhunting foreign football fans who decided to follow by far the most successful team in the league and hilariously feel this gives them a better understanding of football?

John_Jensen

Still going with a stadium excuse?

I can bet you that Liverpool will finish above Arsenal next season. Despite the fact we like to laugh at them they're on a right path or at least a better path than Arsenal.
I'll take that bet, £200?

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
What are you on about, he clearly prioritised the EL at a crucial time of the season. We could have easily got third if we were fully focused on the league in the last two months. Shit sides don't win two trophies in a season, not to mention a European trophy.
You weren't the only club that had Europe to contend with and won't be next season either. Every club in Europe is fatigued because of the heavier schedule. Only Chelsea and Liverpool like Leicester the season before had the advantage of one game per week.

Who were the best sides you beat in these 2 trophies? City had their reserves out. Celta were a decent outfit. Ajax was a team full of youth players? Genuine question. Arsenal beat Chelsea & City's first teams to win our trophy.

No way you could have finished 3rd anyway. You created chances but were too easy to defend against, that's why you dropped points.

The acid test is next season, Mourinho has had his settling in period, will have had 300m+ to spend over 2 season and no Europa to fall back on (unless you finish 3rd in your CL group).