Arsenal 2017/2018

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It must be the hot weather but I think you, Ban, and John Jensen should have a cooling off period with that bet. No need to lose money over an internet debate.

Ban

It must be the hot weather but I think you, Ban, and John Jensen should have a cooling off period with that bet. No need to lose money over an internet debate.
Here's a nice cool weather.

Unlike the whole week, boy that was hot as hell.

Ban

Tense? Your reading of my mood is as skewed as your football predictions. ;)
We'll see.

What's your prediction on Arsenal season? Good run in the EL, top 4 or maybe a title fight?

I mean, Liverpool looked better than Arsenal last season. What makes you think it will be different this season?

John_Jensen

We'll see.

What's your prediction on Arsenal season? Good run in the EL, top 4 or maybe a title fight?

I mean, Liverpool looked better than Arsenal last season. What makes you think it will be different this season?
Guaranteed top 4, hopefully a trophy. Depends on who comes in and where Sanchez goes.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Bit weird that Alexis would even want to go to City.
They are an unbalanced squad that is very top heavy and he didn't like getting rotated so much at Barca.
He won two FA Cups at Arsenal while City won feck all.
If he wants to win the CL Bayern and PSG are miles closer to challenging for the CL than City.
And I can't imagine he wants to play before sparse crowds half the size of what he is used to at Arsenal.

John_Jensen

They are an unbalanced squad that is very top heavy and he didn't like getting rotated so much at Barca.
If he wants to win the CL Bayern and PSG are miles closer to challenging for the CL than City.
And I can't imagine he wants to play before sparse crowds half the size of what he is used to at Arsenal.
Perhaps he'd prefer to play with Aguero, Jesus & Gundogan than Giroud, Walcott & Coquelain whilst doubling his wages?

Ban

Guaranteed top 4, hopefully a trophy. Depends on who comes in and where Sanchez goes.
Fair play. I think Arsenal will be even worse than this season. You can say it's skewed but its my opinion. :)

I hope you'll let go of that gloryhunting stuff in the future. ;)

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Perhaps he'd prefer to play with Aguero, Jesus & Gundogan than Giroud, Walcott & Coquelain whilst doubling his wages?
The more apt comparison would be Lacazette, Ozil and Xhaka for Arsenal.

John_Jensen

Fair play. I think Arsenal will be even worse than this season. You can say it's skewed but its my opinion. :)

I hope you'll let go of that gloryhunting stuff in the future. ;)
It was a cheap dig, granted. :angel:

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
I'm sure you'll get others in, but can't judge those as it's all speculation. The one that looks a done deal is Lacazette and he's seriously underwhelming for €53m plus add ons.
Prices have gone up, 53m is below market rate when you consider Lukaku is priced at 100m, Morata near enough 80m, Hugain cost 90m last summer

I don't think Lacazette is the best striker in the world, but could he be as good as Yorke/Cole? You won the title a load of times with those 2 and Sheringham and Scholskaer. So you don't necessarily need world class strikers to win things. Anelka wasn't world class for us either but we won the league with him.

History tells us you can't judge a signing until the seasons out anyway. Some we think will be great are poor and vice versa.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Commenting on Arsenal's repetitive failings has nothing to do with Liverpool..
That's an ignorant comment. We had a net spend for a decade because of stadium repayments that meant we couldn't compete in the transfer market and our objective was top 4. We weren't targeting the league or investing for it to happen. Wenger worked a miracle in that period to get top4 on sub zero net spend as Gary Neville will always state.

Since we've had money again that prior lack of investment has hampered us.

John_Jensen

Prices have gone up, 53m is below market rate when you consider Lukaku is priced at 100m, Morata near enough 80m, Hugain cost 90m last summer

I don't think Lacazette is the best striker in the world, but could he be as good as Yorke/Cole? You won the title a load of times with those 2 and Sheringham and Scholskaer. So you don't necessarily need world class strikers to win things. Anelka wasn't world class for us either but we won the league with him.

History tells us you can't judge a signing until the seasons out anyway. Some we think will be great are poor and vice versa.
Those are 5 excellent strikers you've listed, Anelka was excellent for Arsenal.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
He won two FA Cups at Arsenal while City won feck all.
I remember him and Guardiola not getting along that well. Here's an example:

Ban

With Arsenal it's not a problem with just additions anymore imo. It's about what can Wenger give anymore, about the atmosphere in and around the club which is poisonous.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
We'll see.

I don't think we can predict that until the transfer window is closed. Whether we can hang onto players or adequately replace. But our window looks very positive so far, we got the best left back in bundesliga last season and a prolific striker already.

But I'd guess now at top4 and maybe an EL trophy.

Liverpool looking better got 1 more point despite having full weeks rests between games. They won't look as good playing twice a week as fatigue sets in and their squad depth is weaker than the other top 4 contenders

John_Jensen

They were good, I think Lacazette is that level though. None were world class, the very competant level a little below.
Anelka was better, as were Yorke & Sheringham. Lacazette needs to step up a level to match their form at that time.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
With Arsenal it's not a problem with just additions anymore imo. It's about what can Wenger give anymore, about the atmosphere in and around the club which is poisonous.
You're right about negative energy from fans affecting players on the pitch. Wenger needs good signings and a good start to turn that around.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Giroud
Sanchez
Ozil
Welbeck
Walcott

Lacazette
Giroud
Ozil
Mahrez
Welbeck
And maybe Lemar as well (selling the useless Walcott)

Even if we lost Sanchez, i would consider our attack improved with these players.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Giroud
Sanchez
Ozil
Welbeck
Walcott

Lacazette
Giroud
Ozil
Mahrez
Welbeck
And maybe Lemar as well (selling the useless Walcott)

Even if we lost Sanchez, i would consider our attack improved with these players.
Is Mahrez perhaps a bit of a risk? He was quite poor last season. Thought he really did look like a genuine talent during 15/16, due to being a fantastic dribbler who was contributing regularly, but I'm not sure his form last year would warrant a big move.

Morpheus 7

You weren't the only club that had Europe to contend with and won't be next season either. Every club in Europe is fatigued because of the heavier schedule. Only Chelsea and Liverpool like Leicester the season before had the advantage of one game per week.

Who were the best sides you beat in these 2 trophies? City had their reserves out. Celta were a decent outfit. Ajax was a team full of youth players? Genuine question. Arsenal beat Chelsea & City's first teams to win our trophy.

No way you could have finished 3rd anyway. You created chances but were too easy to defend against, that's why you dropped points.

The acid test is next season, Mourinho has had his settling in period, will have had 300m+ to spend over 2 season and no Europa to fall back on (unless you finish 3rd in your CL group).
Don't demean United's achievements. United did get fortunate with the draws in the EL but they played many matches. This included loads of travel, extra games in Europe(extra round in knockout stage). This combined with the rescheduling and big cup runs was gruelling. Arsenal deserved to win the FA cup but they had luck in the earlier rounds playing non league opposition too. When is the last time Arsenal won two trophies? Thursday night football does effect league form, extra day of preparation matters. We didn't play much Monday night football either. We went far in the league cup and FA cup. Bringing up spending sounds simply bitter. United earned the revenue so they should be allowed to spend what they want. You are just annoyed that Wenger doesn't spend big.
The acid test for Jose? United are in a much better position going forward. We have areas to address ofcourse, mainly from wide positions and a clinical forward.

Arsenal have almost a civil war going on in the stands. It's absolute poison between Wenger/the board and the fans, first sign of trouble and they will turn on him again(not saying who's right or wrong). Thursday night will effect your league form. I would be worried, you'se need to keep Sanchez and bring in a few quality players.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Is Mahrez perhaps a bit of a risk? He was quite poor last season. Thought he really did look like a genuine talent during 15/16, due to being a fantastic dribbler who was contributing regularly, but I'm not sure his form last year would warrant a big move.
I think he just lacked motivations last season. Changing could do him well.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Anelka was better, as were Yorke & Sheringham. Lacazette needs to step up a level to match their form at that time.
In terms of being a goalscorer though Anelka's best return for us was 17. Yorke's most league goals was 20, Cole's most at United was 19, Sherringham's 15 at United. Lacazette's last 3 seasons league goals are 28, 21, 27, albeit with a fair share of pens.

John_Jensen

In terms of being a goalscorer though Anelka's best return for us was 17. Yorke's most league goals was 20, Cole's most at United was 19, Sherringham's 15 at United. Lacazette's last 3 seasons league goals are 28, 21, 27, albeit with a fair share of pens.
It's not all about numbers but a fair share of penalties in a less competitive league. Sheringham played quite deep in more of a support striker role, Yorke got 29 goals in all competitions including huge performances against the likes of Barcelona & Juventus in Europe.

Anelka came into the Arsenal team as an 18 year old when Wright was injured and kept his place leading the line as Arsenal won the Double, and won Young Player of the Year the following year when they went close to repeating it. Again making telling contributions against all the big rivals.

There are question marks about Lacazette, whispers he's a bit of a Higuain, he'll need to step up to match the players you mentioned. Hopefully he can.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Don't demean United's achievements. United did get fortunate with the draws in the EL but they played many matches. This included loads of travel, extra games in Europe(extra round in knockout stage). This combined with the rescheduling and big cup runs was gruelling. Arsenal deserved to win the FA cup but they had luck in the earlier rounds playing non league opposition too. When is the last time Arsenal won two trophies?
To clarify I'm not here to troll, but to have an intelligent football discussion. That said they're obviously the 2 worst trophies you were in for and you didn't beat top teams to win them. I don't think winning the FA Cup makes a great season but we beat better sides than you did to do so. All 3 competitions were nice trophies for each club to win and an achievement. It isn't a measure of where either club is in the grand scale of things.

We haven't been poor enough to qualify for the Europa League up until this season. So boasting about 2 cups in such circumstances is a bit off the mark.

No PL team other than United played anything other than reserves in the league cup either. Where as Mourinho had to pick up a trinket after knowing you were out of the league contention very early on. If he was in the title race no way he plays a first team in the league cup.

Thursday night football does effect league form, extra day of preparation matters. We didn't play much Monday night football either. We went far in the league cup and FA cup.
In Europa you can get away playing reserves though and you usually get the same amount of rest, ie 3 days. Plenty of CL games we play on Wednesday and Saturday. In the CL you can't afford to rest your best players. United clearly rested some of their top players in the Europa.

Bringing up spending sounds simply bitter. United earned the revenue so they should be allowed to spend what they want. You are just annoyed that Wenger doesn't spend big.
No it isn't every business expects a ROCE (Return On Capital Investment). If you spend 200m, you expect much more than 6th place. He's clearly being given a pass this season as he's a new manager.

The acid test for Jose? United are in a much better position going forward. We have areas to address ofcourse, mainly from wide positions and a clinical forward.
Well I suppose it depends if you think the team has more potential than last seasons league campaign illustrated. I thought you had clinical forwards in Ibrahimovic and Rashford and a great pacey forward in Martial and creative players like Mata and Mkhitaryan. For me the attacking talent was there, better attacking talent than Arsenal possessed if I'm honest. However I believe your attacks you didn't commit enough men forward to over run the opposition to score so you're easier to defend against. He also neglected certainly attacking talent like Martial and Mkhitaryan at times and that hurt your league campaign.

It looks like you're replacing the injured Ibrahimovic with Morata. Now for me that's a much less clinical striker but one who'll give you more pace, workrate and movement. I'm not saying it's better or worse. I'm not actually convinced it's a better idea than starting Martial as your number 9 either.

Arsenal have almost a civil war going on in the stands. It's absolute poison between Wenger/the board and the fans, first sign of trouble and they will turn on him again(not saying who's right or wrong). Thursday night will effect your league form. I would be worried, you'se need to keep Sanchez and bring in a few quality players.
We undoubtadly need to start strong regardless of the personel who show up.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That's an ignorant comment. We had a net spend for a decade because of stadium repayments that meant we couldn't compete in the transfer market and our objective was top 4. We weren't targeting the league or investing for it to happen. Wenger worked a miracle in that period to get top4 on sub zero net spend as Gary Neville will always state.

Since we've had money again that prior lack of investment has hampered us.
That's a myth. You consistently had the 4th highest wage bill in the league, and you consistently finished in the top 4, as would be expected of the team with the 4th highest wage bill

Wenger did well in those years, but he didn't work no miracles, son:cool:(:D)

And the last 4 seasons are hard to defend, even with FA Cup wins

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports

Those are 5 excellent strikers you've listed, Anelka was excellent for Arsenal.
Lacazette's style of play is closer to Ian Wright than any of these others mentioned tbf

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Arsenal AGM:

Gazidis: "Good evening, 'fam'. First, the good news - we've signed Lacazette!"
Fans: "Hooray! What's the bad news?"
Gazidis:"We've flogged everyone else."

Hawks2008

Even Arsenal have signed a top striker, meanwhile we're chasing a bench player smh