g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Arsenal 2017/2018

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Really crazy. Winning nearly everything at home but losing everything away.

No one can say me, that this is only about Wenger. Poor mentality from players? Interesting if it will change next season.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
They've actually spent a fair whack in the last few years. Just very badly.

Rumours are there won't be much money to spend this Summer.
None of those rumours are from any source that is reliable.

Wish people would stop repeating random twitter nonsense. Truth is no one knows how much budget will be there but I'd bet dollars to dirt its more like 75-80

ravi2

Wish people would stop repeating random twitter nonsense. Truth is no one knows how much budget will be there but I'd bet dollars to dirt its more like 75-80
That buys 2 decent players max in this market. Arsenal need more than that to get top 4 next season.
And I anticipate next season to be more competitive than this one.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

In 2016-17 season Arsenal got around 65mil € from UEFA
This will be their 2nd season in a row without UCL football which means they've already lost over 120mil€.

edit: forgot to add I think the new manager will be lucky if he gets to spend more than 50mil on new players

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
That buys 2 decent players max in this market. Arsenal need more than that to get top 4 next season.
And I anticipate next season to be more competitive than this one.
What the money buys depends an awful lot on scouting skills. 35m got Liverpool Salah. It also got Arsenal Xhaka. 5m got Leicester Kante.

Spending money wisely is far more important than having extra few pounds to waste on poor signings.

In 2016-17 season Arsenal got around 65mil € from UEFA
This will be their 2nd season in a row without UCL football which means they've already lost over 120mil€.

edit: forgot to add I think the new manager will be lucky if he gets to spend more than 50mil on new players

And we are still sitting on close to 200m cash reserves in the bank. If the will is there the money is there to spend.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
So they will now mathematically finish with less points than us in the Moyes season.

Quite a feat.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
So they will now mathematically finish with less points than us in the Moyes season.

Quite a feat.
And people thought we shouldn't get rid of Wenger 3 years because we "might have a Moyes season". Just goes to show that fear of change almost always leads to worse results in the long run.

Kapardin

They have some silver linings. One big one is Aubameyang who is likely going to score a boatload of goals next season under a new manager. Class striker.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany

Don't know if those reports are true, but there is a good argument to be made about that.

Football clubs do budget planning on their investments in the coming year. In the last summer, Arsenal spend £50m on Lacazette. That sounds very much like the typical budget of Arsenal to buy a center forward. Less than what the richest clubs like Man Utd pay for a center forward (£75m) and still not a small amount.

Fast forward to January 2018 and suddenly, Aubameyang becomes available because he desperately wants to leave Dortmund and they don't want him to cause any more fuss. They are just looking for any buyer giving them a big chunk of money and there is very little competition for his signing, for several reasons. That means it was an easy opportunity for Arsenal, they saw a great striker become available while Lacazette didn't exactly set the world on fire during the first half of the season.

There is no way Arsenal planned for Aubameyang or any other expensive center forward in their budget for 2017 because why even bother with Lacazette if you can have Auba from the beginning?

That means Auba's transfer is actually part of Arsenal's spending in 2018 and there were some journalist's on twitter reporting just that.

You could now assume a net spend budget of £80m for Arsenal for the summer, which is very untypical for the Gunners historically, but still not far off reality when you look at the £150m net spend by Man Utd every summer. Normally, I would say £100m fits the bill better in comparison to other clubs like MUFC, but Arsenal will lose out on CL money for the second season in a row.

The winter net spend (Auba in, some squad players out) for Arsenal was something like £10m so if you discount that from the £80m budget, you get £70m net spend.

Things could look a bit better if Arsenal manage to get some money for Bellerin and Mustafi, but those two are like the only players left they could sell to generate some serious money and I don't think they would attract a bidding war after the disastrous seasons they just had. My prediction is Mustafi gets sold for £20m and Arsenal get 2 center backs in. There are some really big and substantial rumours in Germany right now about Sokratis to Arsenal for £15m and Soyuncu to come aswell for £30m. Mislintat loves the German market and his Dortmund players;)

£70m budget
+ £20m Mustafi sale
- £15m Sokratis (CB)
- £30m Soyuncu (CB)
= £45m left

That is the going rate for a good central midfielder these days and I could actually see this scenario play out very nicely. Of course it is based on assumptions etc, but it takes into account the most trustworthy chatter I know about and delivers a thought-out explanation for AFC budget predictions. Please feel free to correct me if some of the things I said seem to be way off the mark. I do not claim to be an Arsenal expert in any shape or form.:)

Reactions: golden_blunder

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
0 points away from home in 2018 is a hugely concerning stat for them, and indicates that there is an issue with more than just the manager. I don't think they can expect a huge improvement next year, but a gradual rebuild over the next couple of seasons.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Don't know if those reports are true, but there is a good argument to be made about that.

Football clubs do budget planning on their investments in the coming year. In the last summer, Arsenal spend £50m on Lacazette. That sounds very much like the typical budget of Arsenal to buy a center forward. Less than what the richest clubs like Man Utd pay for a center forward (£75m) and still not a small amount.

Fast forward to January 2018 and suddenly, Aubameyang becomes available because he desperately wants to leave Dortmund and they don't want him to cause any more fuss. They are just looking for any buyer giving them a big chunk of money and there is very little competition for his signing, for several reasons. That means it was an easy opportunity for Arsenal, they saw a great striker become available while Lacazette didn't exactly set the world on fire during the first half of the season.

There is no way Arsenal planned for Aubameyang or any other expensive center forward in their budget for 2017 because why even bother with Lacazette if you can have Auba from the beginning?

That means Auba's transfer is actually part of Arsenal's spending in 2018 and there were some journalist's on twitter reporting just that.

You could now assume a net spend budget of £80m for Arsenal for the summer, which is very untypical for the Gunners historically, but still not far off reality when you look at the £150m net spend by Man Utd every summer. Normally, I would say £100m fits the bill better in comparison to other clubs like MUFC, but Arsenal will lose out on CL money for the second season in a row.

The winter net spend (Auba in, some squad players out) for Arsenal was something like £10m so if you discount that from the £80m budget, you get £70m net spend.

Things could look a bit better if Arsenal manage to get some money for Bellerin and Mustafi, but those two are like the only players left they could sell to generate some serious money and I don't think they would attract a bidding war after the disastrous seasons they just had. My prediction is Mustafi gets sold for £20m and Arsenal get 2 center backs in. There are some really big and substantial rumours in Germany right now about Sokratis to Arsenal for £15m and Soyuncu to come aswell for £30m. Mislintat loves the German market and his Dortmund players;)

£70m budget
+ £20m Mustafi sale
- £15m Sokratis (CB)
- £30m Soyuncu (CB)
= £45m left

That is the going rate for a good central midfielder these days and I could actually see this scenario play out very nicely. Of course it is based on assumptions etc, but it takes into account the most trustworthy chatter I know about and delivers a thought-out explanation for AFC budget predictions. Please feel free to correct me if some of the things I said seem to be way off the mark. I do not claim to be an Arsenal expert in any shape or form.:)
You raise some important questions but theres a few important facts you aren't taking into your analysis re: Auba. First, Arsenal actually turned a net transfer profit of 17M this summer! Burnley and Newcastle pushed out more cash

Its crazy because we had been told for years that part of that 200M cash balance was allegedly so we could splurge in case of missing the CL. But then we miss the CL and our transfer business looks like a broke arse club fighting relegation rather than top 4 club that just missed the CL slot for the first time in 20 years.

And that brings me to my next point. We have been sitting on a steady ~200M cash in the bank for years. No one knows why. People are starting to think its Kroenke keeping Arsenal with a high cash balance to secure better interest rates on his billions of financing for his 500M ranch and 1 billion property development for his LA Rams. But fact is, Arsenal is sitting on massive cash in the bank (It was ~137M in January) that has been doing feck all for the last 5 years. The money is there for the club to push out had it the desire to do so.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
13 league defeats with a game to go. Wenger’s going out in style.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Man it really can.
How?:houllier:

We're comfortably ahead of teams lower than us and that is us without winning a single away game this year. Our away form won't be this terrible every year. Winning zero away games, the worst in the top four leagues in this country, is as worst as it gets.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
How?:houllier:

We're comfortably ahead of teams lower than us and that is us without winning a single away game this year. Our away form won't be this terrible every year. Winning zero away games, the worst in the top four leagues in this country, is as worst as it gets.
Comfortable? You're 6 points ahead of 7th and 10 points behind 5th.

Arsene Wenger hasn't been successful in recent years but he's still ingrained into every single aspect of your club. He ran the ship from top to bottom and it's going to take time to stabilize things before you can even think about pushing on and improving.

In my opinion, the next manager you get will be destined to fail. He'll have a lackluster squad, he'll probably have less to spend than all top 6 clubs bar Spurs and Arsenal fans will expect him to improve their position greatly. You're more likely to finish outside of the top 6 next season than inside the top 4, of that I have absolutely no doubt.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Comfortable? You're 6 points ahead of 7th and 10 points behind 5th.

Arsene Wenger hasn't been successful in recent years but he's still ingrained into every single aspect of your club. He ran the ship from top to bottom and it's going to take time to stabilize things before you can even think about pushing on and improving.

In my opinion, the next manager you get will be destined to fail. He'll have a lackluster squad, he'll probably have less to spend than all top 6 clubs bar Spurs and Arsenal fans will expect him to improve their position greatly. You're more likely to finish outside of the top 6 next season than inside the top 4, of that I have absolutely no doubt.
For us to finish below top 6th, not only will we have to lose every away game AGAIN for a second year running but also lose most of our home games (which rarely happens). We are ahead of 7th despite winning no away games in half a year, and a five nil walloping shows the quality difference. Had we even won TWO away games we'd been right next to Chelsea. If you think we aren't even capable of winning two away games in five months next year then more power to you for your delusions I guess :lol:

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
For us to finish below top 6th, not only will we have to lose every away game AGAIN for a second year running but also lose most of our home games (which rarely happens). We are ahead of 7th despite winning no away games in half a year, and a five nil walloping shows the quality difference. Had we even won TWO away games we'd been right next to Chelsea. If you think we aren't even capable of winning two away games in five months next year then more power to you for your delusions I guess :lol:
That is abysmal logic. You're the 2nd best team in the league at home. "All you had to do was drop 7 more points at home and you'd be 7th."

Pointless. It's the big picture that needs looking at.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
That is abysmal logic. You're the 2nd best team in the league at home. "All you had to do was drop 7 more points at home and you'd be 7th."

Pointless. It's the big picture that needs looking at.
We have always been good at home, and we have been okay away from home, not good nor poor. This year we have remained good at home but have been a disaster away from home ie losing EVERY away game this year. We don't even need to be better next year, we just need to win a couple of away games in five months and we'd stay where we are, ie sixth. The 'big picture' is the same old defensive mistakes which even any competent manager can correct but Wenger can't seem to. An example is the same old way which every team beats us ie counter attack which he hasn't fixed since 2006

Your logic is the one that is abysmal and your joy in your eagerness at seeing us become a lower mid-table side. It doesn't mean its true. A new manager of decent quality can't do worse than this. Though I am sure you can keep fantasizing about it and hoping it ends up true which as I said good luck with that.

I don't even know why I am wasting my time debating with you, thank you for the ignore list RedCafe.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Really crazy. Winning nearly everything at home but losing everything away.

No one can say me, that this is only about Wenger. Poor mentality from players? Interesting if it will change next season.
Has to be about the mentality of the players too. I watched the At. Madrid away match and tbh it was a pretty good performance apart from Ozil who kinda sucked.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Has to be about the mentality of the players too. I watched the At. Madrid away match and tbh it was a pretty good performance apart from Ozil who kinda sucked.
Ozil is like that in every big game sadly. He has all the talent but he vanishes. He only plays well if the entire team is in form or if he is surrounded by stars. Both things which our team lacks right now.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
We've seen the mentality issue from different teams of completely different players , the only constant being Wenger. So really its either Wenger started selecting players without killer instinct or his coaching has consistently failed to inspire that type of mentality.

Personally i think Jardim would go a long way to fixing it as he proved with Monaco.
Really dont think Allegri would do nearly as good at Arsenal as Jardim.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
We've seen the mentality issue from different teams of completely different players , the only constant being Wenger. So really its either Wenger started selecting players without killer instinct or his coaching has consistently failed to inspire that type of mentality.

Personally i think Jardim would go a long way to fixing it as he proved with Monaco.
Really dont think Allegri would do nearly as good at Arsenal as Jardim.
My brother remains convinced we will get Allegri, do you think it is concrete or just rumors in the press? Either would be an improvement on Wenger in my opinion.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Ozil was consistently good in big games for Real Madrid...it probably has to do with a manager giving him a kick up the arse instead of holidays every few weeks.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Stop! It's already dead!
Same feeling mate, he kept on going and I was like when feck is this article going to end? Anyways enjoyed it. Hope more agents take interests of players AND clubs seriously. Raiola on the other hand...

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
My brother remains convinced we will get Allegri, do you think it is concrete or just rumors in the press? Either would be an improvement on Wenger in my opinion.
I definitely think there is interest in Allegri and they are talking to him but I tend to agree with Ornstein(I think it was him who said it) that the Board hasn't made up their mind up so there are still 3-4 realistic possibilities though they have ruled out some of the rumoured candidates (like Klopp and Mourinho's no.2). I still personally think its between Allegri, Jardim and Rodgers but I have no inside info on that and thats just trying to read between the lines on what Gazidis has said.

Rajma

And people thought we shouldn't get rid of Wenger 3 years because we "might have a Moyes season". Just goes to show that fear of change almost always leads to worse results in the long run.
Such attitude is still prevalent around here. But yeah, anyone could see it long way out that he simply no longer was the same Wenger he once was. You can’t really go any lower than that on the positive side, no matter who ends up at your helm.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Came here to make a thread about this but since it's already being discussed: :lol::lol::lol:

He absolutely annihilated the guy on a personal and professional level. It's fecking magical.
It really is beautiful. He went through his entire career from player to coach to pundit.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Has Keown booked his appointment for plastic surgery yet, because he can't be seen in public after that complete takedown by Ozil's agent.

That's seriously one of the best rant ever in football.