Arsenal 2017/2018

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
We should just celebrate the Community Shield because it's gonna be our last trophy for a while. The new manager can sort our tactical problems out, but forget about the trophies without splashing the cash.

Last edited:

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not a fan of the "Wenger is to blame" bandwagon. The problem with Arsenal is the board. They have shown for the last two/three seasons, heck even 5 seasons that their ambition is not strong enough to compete for big trophies. I don't agree entirely with what Roman does, but at least he will get rid when it's not working and has the ambition to challenge. The Arsenal board need to be ruthless, and they should have been more ruthless years ago after having won very little. Wenger is a top manager, but he is working with average players for the most part. If Wenger had the squad we had or spurs have, I truly believe he would have been challenging for the title the last few years. Everything has spiralled out of control there, and keeping Wenger and/or not investing enough into top quality players has showed their lack of ambition all these years and the reason why they lost Sanchez.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
I'm not a fan of the "Wenger is to blame" bandwagon. The problem with Arsenal is the board. They have shown for the last two/three seasons, heck even 5 seasons that their ambition is not strong enough to compete for big trophies. I don't agree entirely with what Roman does, but at least he will get rid when it's not working and has the ambition to challenge. The Arsenal board need to be ruthless, and they should have been more ruthless years ago after having won very little. Wenger is a top manager, but he is working with average players for the most part. If Wenger had the squad we had or spurs have, I truly believe he would have been challenging for the title the last few years. Everything has spiralled out of control there, and keeping Wenger and/or not investing enough into top quality players has showed their lack of ambition all these years and the reason why they lost Sanchez.
I agree in parts. But basic defending, not a single away win in 2018, losing to teams especially United, Chelsea the same way since 2006 ie counter-attack is down to Wenger.

I mean we all knew before this tie how it would go down. Arsenal would dominate in London but then let in an away goal and then huff and puff in Madrid. The fact it has become so predictable is down to Wenger.

Trizy

Poor auld Arsenal.

I'd rather see them be successful than Oil Money clubs Chelsea & City. Then again, their fans are toxic...

DanClancy

Its the worst Arsenal team I've seen and its crazy to think a manger has been allowed to spend over £100m on 2 centre forwards who can't play together and incapable of playing in other positions. Arsenal desperately need a new spine, new keeper, centre half and holding midfielder.

Its going to be tough for a new manager to get Arsenal back into the top 4 but not impossible, but when there's apparently only £50m of a transfer budget its going to be very difficult to attract the best manager for the job.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Think they are in for another tough season with the Europa league.

Gasolin

So no more Champions League football for Arsenal next year, since even the Europa League didn't work out?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal has been sitting on 4th since 2013/14 in terms of wages and transfer fee, so I won't blame the board for not investing in the team for the past 4 years.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I guess, they're investing enough for few years now and expect to do better than getting worse like they are
thank you. There are many reasons why Arsenal is declining for the past 4 years, but the board not investing in the team is definitely not one of them. I have lots of respect for Wenger, but it is time for new ideas.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
thank you. There are many reasons why Arsenal is declining for the past 4 years, but the board not investing in the team is definitely not one of them. I have lots of respect for Wenger, but it is time for new ideas.
The best way to phrase it is the board invested but it certainly wasn't "smart money" as they say.

Just as one example, - Arsenal straight refused to buy Kante when he cost only 5m and still in France. Then saw Kante get sold for 25m after Leicester season and meanwhile 30-35m was spent on Xhaka, a much inferior player. The blame falls on everyone in the organization for that those blunders.

Ultimately if a club lacks the structure to function effectively, as Arsenal has for 8 years, the blame falls on the owner. Things never should eroded to this point over the past 5 years and that is not solely on Wenger and much blame absolutely lies at the doorstep of Kroenke and his hand picked staff. Wenger never should have even been in the position of power he was in the 2010s and the fault there lies with Kroenke and his people.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The best way to phrase it is the board invested but it certainly wasn't "smart money" as they say.

Just as one example, - Arsenal straight refused to buy Kante when he cost only 5m and still in France. Then saw Kante get sold for 25m after Leicester season and meanwhile 30-35m was spent on Xhaka, a much inferior player. The blame falls on everyone in the organization for that those blunders.

Ultimately if a club lacks the structure to function effectively, as Arsenal has for 8 years, the blame falls on the owner. Things never should eroded to this point over the past 5 years and that is not solely on Wenger and much blame absolutely lies at the doorstep of Kroenke and his hand picked staff. Wenger never should have even been in the position of power he was in the 2010s and the fault there lies with Kroenke and his people.
as i said before, there are many reason why the club is in decline, and I never mention Wenger is the one solely responsible for it. All I can say is everyone can see that if Wenger is in charge next season the team performance and result will be more likely the same. I guess we can agree on that. I only pointed out the club's investment in the team sit at 4th for both wages and transfer fee in EPL for the past 4 years, so you can't blame the board NOT invest in the team. I do not know how arsenal management team works, but if i recall correctly, I remember Kroenke said that Wenger is responsible for ALL the footballing matter in arsenal.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I feel like Goalkeeper is the most valuable position today unless you have Messi or Salah and you just have to get that one right. One shaky choice and your whole team is shaky. The top clubs should buy goalkeepers every summer until they have a top one.
Wrong thread. The NHL thread is in the other sports section

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Wrong thread. The NHL thread is in the other sports section
I like this answer and have to admit I know nothing about the NHL. The only big american sport I have never seen a match of.

Still, Arsenal have goalkeeper problems since 2006. That is longer lasting than their problems in defensive midfield and I thought such thing didn't exist.
Just this week, Navas saved the day for Madrid and Ulreich on the other hand... (I am not saying Bayern should have bought another GK).

The importance of goalies is massively underrated in the public. Except for De Gea's at Man Utd, everyone knows that.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Ulreich only played because Neuer was injured. They had gotten that far with him, can’t say it’s strictly down to him, even though it was a howler the pass back did him no favors.

While I ultimately agree with your overall point, as defenders feel more secure with a DDG back there than say Mignolet, can you name a keeper that would be in Arsenal’s tax bracket that would be an upgrade on Cech? He’s a solid enough keeper, which would be difficult to upgrade on given their hesitance to spend. Oblak would cost 60 million easily in today’s market, and Arsenal were hesitant to pay that for PEA, a forward. Trapp has been up and down, Donna same as Oblak, and tbh I struggle finding other candidates off the top of my head, although maybe Lopes from Lyon, but don’t know how he’s been this season. The fix is not so simple for that.
I knew about Ulreich being back up, just wanted to highlight the goalkeepers being a massive factor in who went to the final.

I fear like I can't give you many names because you have to watch multiple full matches from smaller teams to rate goalkeepers and can't do them proper justice with just some highlights. However, I believe you can get great keepers with good scouting. Werder Bremen got Jiri Pavlenka from Prague for €3m and he is now the best Bundesliga keeper (except for Neuer).

Some suggestions without much scouting effort:

Rui Patricio - very reliable keeper for years, now rumoured to go to Napoli for €15m

Bernd Leno - has a release clause of €20m, good shot stopper, mediocre in the air but great at saving penalties, which is a big plus at Arsenal

Samir Handanovic - one of the best keepers in Serie A, not avaible now because he extended his contract in december. Would have been possibly available if Arsenal pushed hard for him because Inter was out of the CL the last few seasons and would have been cheaper than Oblak for sure

Mattia Perin - I won't bother pretending I have watched Genoa in any capacity. Anyways, everyone I talk to about Serie A says he has been one of the best keepers there in the last few years and he would have been the Donnaruma replacement at Milan if the latter one had left last summer, that is confirmed by his agent.

Lopes has been good this season apparently. Please keep in mind I only came to that conclusion by watching highlights of every Lyon game this season but no full match.

Oblak is indeed too expensive. Atletico said any buyer would have to pay the release clause, which is €100m, and I have a hard time believing the repeated chatter of Liverpool preparing to sign him. Only possible for Man Utd in case they lose De Gea or Chelsea if they get good money for Courtois.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
The problem with Arsenal is that they may not get access to the top tier of young keepers like Oblak, Courtois and Ter Stegen because they don't have UCL football so they really need to get their scouting right and find a gem from somewhere. Like the poster above said, Pavlenka has had a great season so maybe he can be someone they buy. Leno would fit in the same category of keepers, cheap but still hasn't completely proven himself (I don't rate him very highly).

Liverpool were in a similar situation and bought Karius, though that hasn't worked out very well for them. Arsenal will probably have to take a similar risk with a relatively unproven player.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I like this answer and have to admit I know nothing about the NHL. The only big american sport I have never seen a match of.

Still, Arsenal have goalkeeper problems since 2006. That is longer lasting than their problems in defensive midfield and I thought such thing didn't exist.
Just this week, Navas saved the day for Madrid and Ulreich on the other hand... (I am not saying Bayern should have bought another GK).

The importance of goalies is massively underrated in the public. Except for De Gea's at Man Utd, everyone knows that.
It's one thing to say great teams need a good goalkeeper. It's another to say GK are the most valuable players on the pitch. They're not, not even close.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Koscienly is out for 6 months, such a shame for him especially with the WC next month. I can't see a long term future for him at the club either whenever the new manager comes in.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
If there are Arsenal fans out there who expect things to immediately get better after Arsene is replaced then they're in for a serious reality check. It's more likely to get noticeably worse in the short-to-medium term future in my opinion.

Will be interesting to see how much cash they're willing to splash.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
If there are Arsenal fans out there who expect things to immediately get better after Arsene is replaced then they're in for a serious reality check. It's more likely to get noticeably worse in the short-to-medium term future in my opinion.

Will be interesting to see how much cash they're willing to splash.
It can't get any worse than sitting at 6th in the table when both wage bill and transfer fee are the 4th highest in the league.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
May be, but i remember people said the same thing for Liverpool and Spurs before Klopp and Pochettino are appointed too.
I was just making a joke because you said it couldn't get worse than 6th, in a table with 20 teams :D

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
They will have a struggle to get back into the top 4.

Outside of Boomerang and sometimes Ozil they have no genuine quality, their defence is midtable at best.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
0-1 Stoke
0-4 Liverpool
0-0 Chelsea
1-2 Watford
5-2 Everton
1-3 Man City
1-0 Burnley
1-1 Southampton
0-0 WHU
3-2 Palace
1-1 WBA
1-2 Bournemouth
1-3 Swansea
0-1 Tottenham
1-2 Brighton
1-2 Newcastle
1-2 Man Utd
1-3 Leicester

el3mel

Just noticed they're going to finish the season with less points than we got in Moyes season.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
This team can't even give Wenger a graceful end of the season, they just keep losing away games :lol:

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Brighton, Swansea and Stoke are the only teams in the league with a worse record away from home

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
0-1 Stoke
0-4 Liverpool
0-0 Chelsea
1-2 Watford
5-2 Everton
1-3 Man City
1-0 Burnley
1-1 Southampton
0-0 WHU
3-2 Palace
1-1 WBA
1-2 Bournemouth
1-3 Swansea
0-1 Tottenham
1-2 Brighton
1-2 Newcastle
1-2 Man Utd
1-3 Leicester
Thats staggering. They have scored more than 1 goal away from home only twice the entire season.

Chiken138

Supports
FC Bayern München
holy , thats a disgrace. If Wenger stayed with this stats, Arsenal would be mental

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I wonder if Kroenke will splurge to get back their coveted top 4 trophy next season.

alsabi

In their ten domestic matches away from home (League, FA Cup and Carabao Cup) since the start of 2018, Arsenal have lost nine and drawn one.