Arsenal 2017/2018

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Imagine if they lose to Utd and are then dumped out of the EL a few days later.

What an end to Wenger's career at Arsenal!

:lol:
I am hoping we inflict another of their historically heaviest defeats to round off his career in style.

Lets smash the cnuts.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The Wenger tributes in the media have done a number on some of you :lol:

Poor defending from Arsenal to concede the goal. Knockout football is all about perfect execution, and Arsenal's achilles heel has been such lapses that negate an entire game of good work. I expected a low scoring game despite the red card... This is one of the best defenses in Europe we're talking about. Advantage to Atletico at the Wanda.

Not sure this will impact selection against us on Sunday

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
How pathetic? Wenger is gone. Give it rest. For all his faults, he deserved big credits for his first years. Even Fergie recognized it and said wonderful things about him.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
One thing I will never understand is the god-like idolisation of Ozil in that fan base. He's been shit for 70% of his time at Arsenal, and fails to impact big game after big game.
I guess you didn't watch the game yesterday because he was involved in every action.

M Bison

Supports
York City
How pathetic? Wenger is gone. Give it rest. For all his faults, he deserved big credits for his first years. Even Fergie recognized it and said wonderful things about him.

This is true but they’ve got a job to do and it’s vital they finish the season strongly.

Football isn’t so romantic that it’ll allow wenger a nice send off because he built a great side 10 years ago.

He’s in danger of capping off an awful end to his reign with an awful end to the season and needs to focus on there here and now, rather than the plaudits from past pro’s.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
One thing I will never understand is the god-like idolisation of Ozil in that fan base. He's been shit for 70% of his time at Arsenal, and fails to impact big game after big game.
In our fanbase? I've been saying he is a fraud for a year now, yet I was told by United fans constantly here how he is amazing when you lot were in for him according to rumors. Wait till you are linked with him again, he will be the best thing ever then as well.

He is a massive fraud who vanishes in every big game.

VanGaalEra

Proper Arsenal performance that, have the match and possibly the tie at their mercy after an early red card and the oppo come away with a better result from the fixture. Lmao!

redflair

I do wonder about obsessive Arsene and what's he going to do after this 22-year-reign. He didn't want to go so I wouldn't be surprised if he pops up at another club next season - and if Everton go all out for him I've got a feeling he might consider them a good club to improve, revive and bring back some of that former glory.

It's a long short, of course, and some would say a drastic step down - but with money to spend and a solid fanbase, it's something he might consider.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
I do wonder about obsessive Arsene and what's he going to do after this 22-year-reign. He didn't want to go so I wouldn't be surprised if he pops up at another club next season - and if Everton go all out for him I've got a feeling he might consider them a good club to improve, revive and bring back some of that former glory.

It's a long short, of course, and some would say a drastic step down - but with money to spend and a solid fanbase, it's something he might consider.
The chances of him managing a club in the PL are next to nothing, never mind managing Everton. He has said himself he won't manage a club in England after being with Arsenal so long.

redflair

The chances of him managing a club in the PL are next to nothing, never mind managing Everton. He has said himself he won't manage a club in England after being with Arsenal so long.
Maybe. But the club have pushed him out earlier than expected. Things change. Does he feel betrayed? All jobs are open for him. I don't think he'll discriminate if an attractive offer came in from a PL or a foreign club.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
In our fanbase? I've been saying he is a fraud for a year now, yet I was told by United fans constantly here how he is amazing when you lot were in for him according to rumors. Wait till you are linked with him again, he will be the best thing ever then as well.

He is a massive fraud who vanishes in every big game.
I wonder then why he performs well in the German NT, performed well at Real Madrid...

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Maybe. But the club have pushed him out earlier than expected. Things change. Does he feel betrayed? All jobs are open for him. I don't think he'll discriminate if an attractive offer came in from a PL or a foreign club.
He said he won't take another job in the PL in the same interview where he said the rest.

He will probably manage somewhere else, but there is no chance he will ever manage in the PL again, never mind a club like Everton.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
And a better manager too...
Good players thrive everywhere regardless of managers. Sanchez, RVP, Fabregas etc all did superb at Arsenal despite Wenger. Its a poor excuse to defend Ozil who is pretty useless unless he is surrounded by superstars or unless the opposition is weak.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I wonder then why he performs well in the German NT, performed well at Real Madrid...
I think it night have something to do with him being 'ill' all the time, especially around January.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Good players thrive everywhere regardless of managers. Sanchez, RVP, Fabregas etc all did superb at Arsenal despite Wenger.
Not true, plenty of examples of bad management not taking the best from the best players. And Ozil is one of the best Arsenal has. Wenger isn't one of the best around.
Its a poor excuse to defend Ozil who is pretty useless unless he is surrounded by superstars or unless the opposition is weak.
Useless players don't have 14 assists during the entire season on a bad structured team. If you expect Ozil to be a goalscorer he isn't now as he never was.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Not true, plenty of examples of bad management not taking the best from the best players. And Ozil is one of the best Arsenal has. Wenger isn't one of the best around.
Useless players don't have 14 assists during the entire season on a bad structured team. If you expect Ozil to be a goalscorer he isn't now as he never was.
Ozil being our best doesn't really say anything. We are a mediocre side so for him to be our best player doesn't say much. Noone expects him to be scoring, not sure where you got that from, but he is pretty useless in any big game. I am not sure if you see Arsenal every game, I do.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Ozil being our best doesn't really say anything. We are a mediocre side so for him to be our best player doesn't say much. Noone expects him to be scoring, not sure where you got that from, but he is pretty useless in any big game. I am not sure if you see Arsenal every game, I do.
He is useless in big games as the rest of the team, again, what are you expecting the players to do? Just go by themselves and to figure out how they can beat teams with better individual players and better structured?

I don't need to see the same amount of games as you, if I go and watch a Arsenal game of 5 years ago the problems are the same, difference now is there are better teams, more money and the recent influx of foreign managers to the top clubs in England just finished the job with him.

Don't want to be mean, but he is at least 5 years late on his decision, the same players under a better manager would do better, including Ozil.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
He is useless in big games as the rest of the team, again, what are you expecting the players to do? Just go by themselves and to figure out how they can beat teams with better individual players and better structured?

I don't need to see the same amount of games as you, if I go and watch a Arsenal game of 5 years ago the problems are the same, difference now is there are better teams, more money and the recent influx of foreign managers to the top clubs in England just finished the job with him.

Don't want to be mean, but he is at least 5 years late on his decision, the same players under a better manager would do better, including Ozil.
Not really, Sanchez hasn't been as good as he was at Arsenal, but RVP was. It doesn't say much. Ozil is bad because our entire team is poor., which I have said already. But even then top players like Sanchez and RVP shone. And yeah you don't watch us week in week out so I am afraid I am not going to agree.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Not really, Sanchez hasn't been as good as he was at Arsenal, but RVP was. It doesn't say much. Ozil is bad because our entire team is poor., which I have said already. But even then top players like Sanchez and RVP shone. And yeah you don't watch us week in week out so I am afraid I am not going to agree.
Keep the same players, hire a top manager and quote me in 9 months, then we talk ;)

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Keep the same players, hire a top manager and quote me in 9 months, then we talk ;)
We have already talked, you conveniently ignoring Sanchez, RVP's consistent good performances. And besides we won't be keeping the same players for 9 months anyway, so good luck with the talk!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Maybe France would be an option. They don't make the semis in world cup and Deschamps will likely lose his job.

Mind you he's said before he wants to continue working day by day.

I wouldn't rule Everton out actually, haven't seen the quotes where he wouldn't work for another club in the premier league.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Maybe France would be an option. They don't make the semis in world cup and Deschamps will likely lose his job.

I wouldn't rule Everton out actually, haven't seen the quotes where he wouldn't work for another club in the premier league.
On whether he will manage again in England…

If you're speaking about emotions, that certainly would be for me emotionally difficult. I don't know how well I will live without that so at the moment its difficult for me to say never. But at the minute I speak to you, I'm too attached to this club to say I would go anywhere else. It's too difficult for me.

He is 68, Everton need a manager now. He will likely go to PSG to be president or some other club in that capacity. There is no way in my opinion Wenger will manage a club like Everton, with all due respect to them. Clubs far bigger than Everton would ask him before that's over.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

How can you say if Deschamps don't make the semis he will lose the job?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
How can you say if Deschamps don't make the semis he will lose the job?
With France's squad that would be serious underachievement.

Plenty of the French supporters on here wanted him out for losing the final to you lot so not sure how he'd survive in the job as France are in that group with Spain, Brazil and Germany imo.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
On whether he will manage again in England…

If you're speaking about emotions, that certainly would be for me emotionally difficult. I don't know how well I will live without that so at the moment its difficult for me to say never. But at the minute I speak to you, I'm too attached to this club to say I would go anywhere else. It's too difficult for me.

He is 68, Everton need a manager now. He will likely go to PSG to be president or some other club in that capacity. There is no way in my opinion Wenger will manage a club like Everton, with all due respect to them. Clubs far bigger than Everton would ask him before that's over.
This was all before Arsenal effectively sacked him of course.

PSG have signed Tuchel now so that's an option gone.

Maybe might go back to Monaco if Jardim moves on. Actually that might be an ideal job, develop young players, play in CL most season, no pressure to win the league. What's he's been doing last 10 years.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Knockout competitions you can't guarantee semifinals, maybe only Brazil or Germany, in what matter are they favourites compared to Spain for example? Or Germany, Brazil? Maybe favourites compared with Argentina.
Plenty of the French supporters on here wanted him out for losing the final to you lot so not sure how he'd survive in the job as France are in that group with Spain, Brazil and Germany imo.
The rest we don't know, maybe the French Federation will not continue with him regardless of the results, don't know if they set up any specific target, only thing I know is they have top players in every position, maybe only the GK is the only one where they don't have so many players to choose. But as a team I wouldn't be surprised to see teams like Uruguay beating them on a knockout game.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
This was all before Arsenal effectively sacked him of course.

PSG have signed Tuchel now so that's an option gone.

Maybe might go back to Monaco if Jardim moves on. Actually that might be an ideal job, develop young players, play in CL most season, no pressure to win the league. What's he's been doing last 10 years.
These were the quotes after he had been 'sacked'. I gave you a small part of the entire transcript, this interview was only 3 odd days ago.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
These were the quotes after he had been 'sacked'. I gave you a small part of the entire transcript, this interview was only 3 odd days ago.
Ah thought it was an interview he did a year or so ago, my mistake.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I can't believe they actually conceded a goal after pounding on a 10-man Atletico for 80 mins.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Ah thought it was an interview he did a year or so ago, my mistake.
But you're right as well, Monaco wouldn't be a bad shout. I just hope we sort out the new appointment as soon as possible. Knowing us it'll drag on!

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
But you're right as well, Monaco wouldn't be a bad shout. I just hope we sort out the new appointment as soon as possible. Knowing us it'll drag on!
Arsene will sport a false moustache at the interview.

Aurell

Supports
Football

Unfortunately, The federation already give him a new contract until 2020 when his first contract ended that summer. He isn't in danger. The director of the fed like him a lot. He was the captain of the WC team (98). And the director said something like: "No one can replace him. Personnally I can't see anyone. He is one of the best french manager. Complete confidence. He brought the team to the final :rolleyes:..." The new Wenger. He signed a contract when he wants. Plus it's seems like he doesn't want to coach a club anymore (pressure on the results, way the team plays etc), so he could stay for ages.
Finally, seen how there is an obsession with the WC winners, they are probably waiting for Zidane while Puel is almost available and could do a huge work.

Sanchez wasn't that brilliant since he came to MU and not more during his last days in Arsenal. Same thing for the National team as I watched the confederations cup and some Chili's games in the qualifying round
He was also very useless in Barcelona.
You talked (i think) about Cesc but his period at Barcelona was very poor and yet he was surrounded by a lot of good players. I could also talk about Gareth Bale or Shevchenko.

Well anyway, you also compare some differents qualities and role players.
Sanchez, even if the team is poor could still try to force a dribble and after 5/6 attemps, maybe one would pass.
Lewandowski is poor in CL since he left Bvb but yeah he always score 1 of the 3/4 big chances that he has so we are like : biggest ratio in CL behind CR.

How can Ozil shine ? By helping his teammates to score, assist them. If they don't call for the ball in an interesting way, If they don't find some space, lose one's marker and put themselves in a good position, well he can do nothing.

And that's the work of the coach ? Developing a true offensive plan, not just tell to the players: Ozil/ Bellerin/ Xhaka/ Monreal to cross the ball hoping that Laca or Ramsey touch it. It's so easy to defend for Atletico. Some movements were needed to get past them. Arsene choose a stereotyped attack and ozil were useless for it. But as James was Wednesday because of Muller and Lewan's lack of movements, or Eriksen against solid defenses, Weigl in Borussia, Pjanic when Higuain and Dybala decide to stay somewhere and wait for the ball etc.

And I don't know if that's you who talked about Welbeck. But i'm pretty sure that's stupid dribble/dive in front of 3 defenders has a huge impact for Arsenal seen how the team was unbalanced

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Unfortunately, The federation already give him a new contract until 2020 when his first contract ended that summer. He isn't in danger. The director of the fed like him a lot. He was the captain of the WC team (98). And the director said something like: "No one can replace him. Personnally I can't see anyone. He is one of the best french manager. Complete confidence. He brought the team to the final :rolleyes:..." The new Wenger. He signed a contract when he wants. Plus it's seems like he doesn't want to coach a club anymore (pressure on the results, way the team plays etc), so he could stay for ages.
Finally, seen how there is an obsession with the WC winners, they are probably waiting for Zidane while Puel is almost available and could do a huge work.

Sanchez wasn't that brilliant since he came to MU and not more during his last days in Arsenal. Same thing for the National team as I watched the confederations cup and some Chili's games in the qualifying round
He was also very useless in Barcelona.
You talked (i think) about Cesc but his period at Barcelona was very poor and yet he was surrounded by a lot of good players. I could also talk about Gareth Bale or Shevchenko.

Well anyway, you also compare some differents qualities and role players.
Sanchez, even if the team is poor could still try to force a dribble and after 5/6 attemps, maybe one would pass.
Lewandowski is poor in CL since he left Bvb but yeah he always score 1 of the 3/4 big chances that he has so we are like : biggest ratio in CL behind CR.

How can Ozil shine ? By helping his teammates to score, assist them. If they don't call for the ball in an interesting way, If they don't find some space, lose one's marker and put themselves in a good position, well he can do nothing.

And that's the work of the coach ? Developing a true offensive plan, not just tell to the players: Ozil/ Bellerin/ Xhaka/ Monreal to cross the ball hoping that Laca or Ramsey touch it. It's so easy to defend for Atletico. Some movements were needed to get past them. Arsene choose a stereotyped attack and ozil were useless for it. But as James was Wednesday because of Muller and Lewan's lack of movements, or Eriksen against solid defenses, Weigl in Borussia, Pjanic when Higuain and Dybala decide to stay somewhere and wait for the ball etc.

And I don't know if that's you who talked about Welbeck. But i'm pretty sure that's stupid dribble/dive in front of 3 defenders has a huge impact for Arsenal seen how the team was unbalanced
Thanks for making my point for me, you said Sanchez isn't that good at United, when in theory he should be as United have a better manager. Its nothing to do with managers, good players thrive everywhere. Sanchez is getting better at United now as well. Ozil is simply lazy, and sulks when things are not going our way. He has been like this when we had Sanchez, RVP and now when we have Aubameyang and Lacazette. Who are all not bad players by any means. There is not a big game that stands out to my head that we won because of him.

JackyBigBrother

A way to describe Arsenal now is that there is hardly any player that I wanted to take. We got their best player and to Arsenal credit, they hadn't missed him but neither were they doing better with Miki and Aubameyang.

Ozil is creative but every time I watched him he just seems to get slower and disenchanted.

Aurell

Supports
Football
Thanks for making my point for me, you said Sanchez isn't that good at United, when in theory he should be as United have a better manager. Its nothing to do with managers, good players thrive everywhere. Sanchez is getting better at United now as well. Ozil is simply lazy, and sulks when things are not going our way. He has been like this when we had Sanchez, RVP and now when we have Aubameyang and Lacazette. Who are all not bad players by any means. There is not a big game that stands out to my head that we won because of him.
Hum not what I said...
I actually said that it's not about a the manager but more about the way the team plays, and finding the best plan to put your Individualities in the best conditions. Mourinho is a better manager but under him, Martial never consistently reached the level that he showed at Monaco and with LVG. It was pretty the same about Pogba and Sanchez.
I'm pretty sure Hazard's progress had been stopped at a moment by Mou who improved him but never had been able to used a tactic to take the best of him.

You said that Ozil don't have an impact while recently the game against CSKA was good, because of him and his attitude. I'm telling you that there are just managers who do not help the players to succeed because the way they want to play don't fit to them.
Ancelotti almost bench Kimmich and he is supposed to be a top class manager. Thiago Alcantara has never been as good as he was under pep because the 2-3-5 offensive play was one of the best schema for him. And it's the same players around him.

it's maybe true that he is lazy (well he was at one time he was one of the players who run the most at Arsenal, not sure if it's still true) and don't really seems to be able to change things. But the motivation is also the manager's job. At Germany he is one of the key players and definitly one of the best at the Euro. For now he only under-performed under Wenger. Let's wait the new manager and see how it goes.

redflair

He said he won't take another job in the PL in the same interview where he said the rest.

He will probably manage somewhere else, but there is no chance he will ever manage in the PL again, never mind a club like Everton.
I admire your confidence. But how about letting some of us have our own views on what the irascible professor might do next? A PL job is a long shot but an elite European job has to appeal to him and not be too much of a step down. There aren't many of those around.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
I admire your confidence. But how about letting some of us have our own views on what the irascible professor might do next? A PL job is a long shot but an elite European job has to appeal to him and not be too much of a step down. There aren't many of those around.
Who is stopping you have your own views? I am simply going along with what he is saying. Despite our failings a manager of his pedigree would never go to Everton. You can quote me on that. He is nearly 70, there isn't much of his career left to do anything with Everton, he could barely get Arsenal to 5th anymore.