Arsenal 2018/19

Habs

Does that make you lot the Everton of Manchester?
Maybe, if we go 16 years without winning the premier league like you guys have, but by that time you'll be the Newcastle of London with the way things are going so dont think you'll have much to talk about.

Djemba-Djemba

I appreciate Arsenal for these last 6 years especially.

We've been mostly shite and not fun to watch and yet Arsenal have more often than not provided us with laughter and enjoyment and last night was another example of that. They've helped make the last 6 years bearable.

Failing to score a goal against Utd under Moyes, losing to our C team in 2016 to kill their title chances, Fellaini scoring a last minute winner against them, allowing Lingard to dance all over their stadium.

Thank you Arsenal.

AshRK

Subbing iwobi yesterday was stupid decision and especially subbing iwobi for ozil didn't make sense when iwobi was the only threat for them. Emery has done a decent job but all the kroenke hate is blinding their fans in judging Emery properly. He must improve his game management.

Kag

I feel like I’ve missed some big football news in the past year in that Arsenal now can’t afford to buy players.

When has this ever been the case? More importantly, why?

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
I feel like I’ve missed some big football news in the past year in that Arsenal now can’t afford to buy players.

Kroenke. He's the reason gazidis and the Russian bloke left. The Russian tried to buy Kroenke out so that he could invest in the squad but Kroenke said no and so the Russian left. Kroenke won't invest in Arsenal because the club is a money making machine. That's also why the club "can't afford" to re-sign Ramsey and also why that Dortmund scout left (what do you scout when there's no money?). He's a true virus that Arsenal can't shake and they'll rot until he leaves.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
And every game Atletico played they were heavy favourites as well. Plus they were a world class side who had a slow start to the season so the quality gap between the sides in each tie was bigger than an English side who finished 6th that season.
We are not Arsenal in this conversation, we were the Atletico of that season.
Firstly, it is factually incorrect to state that Atletico were heavy favourites to beat Arsenal. They were favourites.

I'm not sure what you mean by the rest of your post, but a run to the Europa League playing Fenerbache, Feyenoord, Zorya Luhans, Saint Etienne, Rostov, Anderlecht and Ajax for a club the size of Manchester United was virtually akin to handing them the trophy. To claim that as some sort of achievement, as Mourinho does, is quite hilarious. They even lost to Fenerbache and Feyenoord, and barely scraped past Anderlecht, Rostov and Celta Vigo, only scoring more than one goal once in six matches against absolute minnows.

If I was Mourinho or a United fan, I would gloss over that campaign rather than celebrating it.

cyberman

Firstly, it is factually incorrect to state that Atletico were heavy favourites to beat Arsenal. They were favourites.

I'm not sure what you mean by the rest of your post, but a run to the Europa League playing Fenerbache, Feyenoord, Zorya Luhans, Saint Etienne, Rostov, Anderlecht and Ajax for a club the size of Manchester United was virtually akin to handing them the trophy. To claim that as some sort of achievement, as Mourinho does, is quite hilarious. They even lost to Fenerbache and Feyenoord, and barely scraped past Anderlecht, Rostov and Celta Vigo, only scoring more than one goal once in six matches against absolute minnows.

If I was Mourinho or a United fan, I would gloss over that campaign rather than celebrating it.
I was comparing our run to Atleticos since the post I was responding to was debating winners run to the finals.
And yes, Atletico were monster favourites against you. Only Arsenal fans though you had a chance.
Its just amazing to me that a team that finished 6th has gotten so much respect in retrospect.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

This is heir excuse.
Due to EPL rules, wage increases can only be funded by commercial income growth. Arsenal are locked in long term sponsorship deals, which are undervalued. So no room for commercial growth, at least for this financial year.
Makes sense in theory but when promoted clubs are spending £110m, it doesn't hold water.

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

Fridge is right about the overall long term problem being Kroenke the crook but the immediate issue also comes from a mix of bad contract management by Gazidis and Wenger combined with over a decade of atrocious commercial deal management.

There is this arcane PL rule about short term cost control (explained here as well as anywhere I found)

It was well known that Wenger favored a wage structure that systematically overpaid squad players for years. The Board was criminally negligent in failing to keep up with other clubs at commercial deals and Kroenke refused to restructure the loans in a way that would have been favorable for the club's footballing operations (Usmanov talked about this for years).

So ultimately the failures are the result mismanagement at various levels throughout the 2010s - manager, Board and owner.

JSArsenal

Well last night was awful. Hate losing to United and it feels like you lot have scored that Lingard goal at the Emirates over a dozen times now.

In relation to our wages and spending power, someone somewhere did an analysis that shows its all rubbish. Our wage bill isn't actually preventing us from getting anyone in because we aren't close to being in breach of the premier league rules on increasing your wage bill. The numbers don't reflect the PR coming from the club.

Even without that analysis, it should be plain to anyone that if we did have a problem, then the club would have looked to ship out several squad players this month but we haven't.

I can't be bothered to find a link now though.

OverratedOpinion

Well, saying it after what happened on friday, sounded like it was his fault he got injured :D.

However, i think his contract expires in the summer and we are not gonna renew it.
To be fair I would keep him on as experienced back up if I were Arsenal, then again I am not Arsenal because Arsenal is a football club whilst I am a man.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
This is not the turnaround one was hoping for..

As for Utd, I bet you lot are lamenting having held onto Jose for so long. Jelly and Hyde season.

Treble

Has Emery run them in the ground? They don't look as fresh and dynamic as they were in the first half of the season.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Has Emery run them in the ground? They don't look as fresh and dynamic as they were in the first half of the season.
We're not able to sustain that press multiple games in a row; we broke the running distance record a week ago when we destroyed Chelsea and then we field 3 ghosts in midfield, the energy wasn't there neither was the formation. AMN had an average game but can't take that much risks against big teams. He's an emergency solution and he should play like it. Torreira was subpar too.

JSArsenal

We're not able to sustain that press multiple games in a row; we broke the running distance record a week ago when we destroyed Chelsea and then we field 3 ghosts in midfield, the energy wasn't there neither was the formation. AMN had an average game but can't take that much risks against big teams. He's an emergency solution and he should play like it. Torreira was subpar too.
Emery has to take some of the blame for his absolute lack of rotation too. Ramsey hadn't started a game in months until Chelsea. Xhaka and Torreira were completely overworked from November to December which was criminal seeing that Torreira is new to the league. Guendouzi also plays far too much.

I could understand the lack of rotation if we had Vieira, Fabregas and Gilberto Silva in midfield but we don't.

JoseandMkhiarespecial

Supports
Rangers FC & the red devils
At the start of the Arsenal fan tv video they're arguing about who should've been subbed off between Ramsey and Xhaka. Laughable. Imagine subbing Ramsey off and leaving Xhaka in the middle like a traffic cone next to Guendouzi, what a midfield :lol:

Ramsey and Ozil the two best midfielders. Ramsey off on a free, and Ozil is being treated like an aging player that's being pushed out of the club.

Two or three years ago all they needed was a top class centre back and striker. Now suddenly it's almost a whole team.

They're actually relying on guys like Guendouzi who wouldn't even get a game for United :lol:

JoseandMkhiarespecial

Supports
Rangers FC & the red devils
No offence mate but your club is dying.

Ramsey off on a free, Ozil not playing, and relying on 18 year old youths like Guendozi, Iwobi, Torreira, Maitland Niles etc. to keep your club from drowning. And supplement the young guys with loans

The stadium you's had spent 10 years building that stopped you from signing players of Viera's quality again, gets ridiculed off of Rival fans on YouTube

Unable to embed media here's the link to Goldbridge https:// youtu.be/dMLflPECKd8

Treble

Your own record or a PL record? 120km?

awop

Supports
Arsenal
No offence mate but your club is dying.

Ramsey off on a free, Ozil not playing, and relying on 18 year old youths like Guendozi, Iwobi, Torreira, Maitland Niles etc. to keep your club from drowning. And supplement the young guys with loans

The stadium you's had spent 10 years building that stopped you from signing players of Viera's quality again, gets ridiculed off of Rival fans on YouTube

Unable to embed media here's the link to Goldbridge https:// youtu.be/dMLflPECKd8
Are we ? I hope you'll do us the honor of showing up to the funeral then. And please forgive me for not watching more than 5 seconds of this idiot, i'd rather keep the few brain cells i got.

Your own record or a PL record? 120km?
Our own, sorry should have been clearer.It was a stat shown on MOTD where you could see that 3 or 4 of our top 5 distance covered were under Emery, only one of Wenger's is left.

We need to bring a winger and a defender on a short term emergency solution and hope to have a Chelsea type performance against United in the league where it will be a lot more important. Chelsea and United still have to play Liverpool, City and each other so there is a lot of room for craziness.
I'm deflated and excited at the same time, the curse of being an Arsenal fan i guess :(

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
I was comparing our run to Atleticos since the post I was responding to was debating winners run to the finals.
And yes, Atletico were monster favourites against you. Only Arsenal fans though you had a chance.
Its just amazing to me that a team that finished 6th has gotten so much respect in retrospect.
I'm not an Arsenal fan. Atletico were not monster favourites against Arsenal in the same way that United were monster favourites against the minnows that they played. I don't have the odds in front of because this happened years ago, but United will have been much heavier favourites with the bookmaker, and rightly so because they should never lose to any of the teams that they played against when they won the Europa League.

thepolice123

Tough guy. I guess you could play with a supposed broken jaw.
You need to lay off this site for a few days. Doesn't seem to be very healthy for your mental state.:lol:

Koscielny had a poor game. Did not close Lukaku down fast enough for the first goal and his feeble attempt at the offside trap failed terribly for the second. Another CB should be Arsenal's top priority next season.

cyberman

I'm not an Arsenal fan. Atletico were not monster favourites against Arsenal in the same way that United were monster favourites against the minnows that they played. I don't have the odds in front of because this happened years ago, but United will have been much heavier favourites with the bookmaker, and rightly so because they should never lose to any of the teams that they played against when they won the Europa League.
Arsenal were 4/9 monster favourites to qualify v Arsenal while Utd were 7/20 against Celta.
Where's the big difference?
Keep in mind that its the British market that drives those odds you could argue 4/9 and 7/20 were generous.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Did anyone see the things some Indian actress called Esha Gupta said about Iwobi? Holy shit.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
She's an Arsenal ambassador too, not for long anyway...

Mihai

Kos has never been all that. And Bellerin & Mustafi are crap. Which is nearly their first choice.

Utd defence isn't great but it's a bit better than theirs on a good day, at least.

I like their forwards. They ought not to be letting Ramsey leave. While keeping Ozil (for the can't be bothered reasons) & Xhaka especially.
I think it's far from "a bit better".

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Subbing iwobi yesterday was stupid decision and especially subbing iwobi for ozil didn't make sense when iwobi was the only threat for them. Emery has done a decent job but all the kroenke hate is blinding their fans in judging Emery properly. He must improve his game management.
Completely agree. In the first half especially, Iwobi was causing us real problems down their left.

So, despite him not being as difficult in the second half, seeing him replaced by Ozil was great fun.
Ozil is so hard working...

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
Just been glancing over the last couple of pages and so far this year we’re “Dire, in free fall, average players everywhere, pitied, the future Newcastle of London, and dying..etc”

For the love o’ jaysus, bring back Jose so you can all feck off back to your own misery..:p

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Suarez looks favourite over Perisic atm, as Inter only want a permanent deal.
The latter is surely better and more complete though.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
So can any Barca stans give us the good word on Suarez?

Looks like we're sniffing around Carrasco and Nkunku as well.
I read his thread on a Barce forum if that counts. He's so good that Barce bought him twice and never played him. He's best played on the wing or as a CAM but was never starting there for Barce as he's way down the pecking order. More so since they've signed Dembele and Malcolm. Some saw him as Iniesta's heir apparent years ago because of his glue like close control. He has played deeper in midfield and some Barce fans wanted him played there more often but the coach preferred more physical midfielders. His end product wasn't that good except in the Europa were he often score and assisted against many of the better sides and this earned him a move back to Barce. While he doesn't score often when he does score they can be screamers.

So it's essentially a case of giving him playing time and seeing what he can do. He'll easily be the best dribbler in the side which could unlock defenses allowing our attacks to be more varied.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Think I read they're now 8 points better off at this stage of the season compared to this time last year.

Emery has done pretty well for his first season imo keeping them up with others when you look at all their issues.