Arsenal 2018/19

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Sven Mislintat is rumoured to leave them already. What do the resident Arsenal fans think about this?
That the end is near. Bayern did not humiliate us in Europe for too long so they take the only staff member we like.
There's also rumours that he put forward some names to sign and nothing happens for a lack a funding and Emery's willingness to buy the whole Sevilla squad.
We'll see but if he does leave, it's going to be very worrying.

SiRed

What the hell is going on there?
I genuinely feel for there fans... Not the YEAH BLUD YOU GET ME FAM fans on you tube, but the normal ones. It must be so frustrating to basically be lied to by the owners for over 10 years.
It seems every week the plot thickens.

Team wise, they have been flimsy for a long time. You almost expect they will lose every time they play away. Its almost grained into the clubs ethos now!

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Unless a takeover happens , no way they are coming up again. Westham with couple of investments in the summer will have a better team soon.

Not to mention the key players they are losing and the replacements needed. This is in addition to what they need already .

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
This Kroenke guy! Ruining the club. Danny Fitz should’ve sold to Usmanov. At least it would’ve been more fun!

Flares going up, we need rescuing..

cyberman

Marseille and Arsenal> Anybody you played. Heck, even Sporting were probably better than anybody you faced when you won it.
Ajax were built up to be the bogey team that Pogba would struggle go start for, Celta beat Madrid and Barca numerous teams that season so they would be a force. A trip to frozen Russia (twice) thrown in there. Every body was built up before we played them but became piss easy after the fact.
Its only easy after the fact but Atletico were the Utd of the EL last year and nobody claims they had an easy ride (apart from me).
Was St Etienne that much easier than Marseille? Anderlecht who had a great season?
People say it was an easy ride but those sides beat the bigger name sides so how easy was it? Or are we judging them on name value alone cause Arsenal can't claim to be far above those sides.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Ajax were built up to be the bogey team that Pogba would struggle go start for, Celta beat Madrid and Barca numerous teams that season so they would be a force. A trip to frozen Russia (twice) thrown in there. Every body was built up before we played them but became piss easy after the fact.
Its only easy after the fact but Atletico were the Utd of the EL last year and nobody claims they had an easy ride (apart from me).
Was St Etienne that much easier than Marseille? Anderlecht who had a great season?
People say it was an easy ride but those sides beat the bigger name sides so how easy was it? Or are we judging them on name value alone cause Arsenal can't claim to be far above those sides.

Anybody that built Ajax up was being silly. That team was basically a bunch of youth players who struggled to get to the final and didn't even win a weak Eredivisie. A trip to Russia isn't great, but you played Rostov ffs, Atletico faced the eventual league winners in their run (Lokomotiv) and smashed them to bits. Celta finished bottom half of La Liga that season, were they an awful side who weren't capable of getting the odd big result? No, but they weren't semi final material either.

Etienne finished 9th the season you beat them, Marseille were 4th, clearly the superior side. Anderlecht are a Belgian League side, of course you should be beating them. Arsenal can't claim to be above Anderlecht, St Etienne or Celta Vigo? Of course they can, they're miles better. In any league they would finish far ahead of them. It was a very easy run, I'm sorry but that's the bottom line. You didn't face a single side you wouldn't have been expected to comfortably beat.

Rostov, St Etienne, Anderlecht, Vigo and Ajax. That's about as easy as you're ever going to get in the competition. United fans can try and twist it but that's pretty much the dream run, you still had to get the job done but compared to runs that other sides have had in the past (Liverpool faced Dortmund, Manchester United and Sevilla the year before) it was a total piece of piss. Anyway, this isn't the 'Manchester United EL run thread' but I don't get why United fans are sensitive to the idea you had an easy run, who cares? It got you CL and nobody is going to remember now the trophy is in your cabinet. Don't see the point in trying to deny reality tbh.

cyberman

Anybody that built Ajax up was being silly. That team was basically a bunch of youth players who struggled to get to the final and didn't even win a weak Eredivisie. A trip to Russia isn't great, but you played Rostov ffs, Atletico faced the eventual league winners in their run (Lokomotiv) and smashed them to bits. Celta finished bottom half of La Liga that season, were they an awful side who weren't capable of getting the odd big result? No, but they weren't semi final material either.

Etienne finished 9th the season you beat them, Marseille were 4th, clearly the superior side. Anderlecht are a Belgian League side, of course you should be beating them. Arsenal can't claim to be above Anderlecht, St Etienne or Celta Vigo? Of course they can, they're miles better. In any league they would finish far ahead of them. It was a very easy run, I'm sorry but that's the bottom line. You didn't face a single side you wouldn't have been expected to comfortably beat.

Rostov, St Etienne, Anderlecht, Vigo and Ajax. That's about as easy as you're ever going to get in the competition. United fans can try and twist it but that's pretty much the dream run, you still had to get the job done but compared to runs that other sides have had in the past (Liverpool faced Dortmund, Manchester United and Sevilla the year before) it was a total piece of piss. Anyway, this isn't the 'Manchester United EL run thread' but I don't get why United fans are sensitive to the idea you had an easy run, who cares? It got you CL and nobody is going to remember now the trophy is in your cabinet. Don't see the point in trying to deny reality tbh.
I don't rate last season, Wenger lead Arsenal at all and the only post I have ever seen do is the one you've just posted.
You're just arguing to make an argument, if you're hanging you hat on the gooners and fourth placed side in a one team league in Marseille as if its a noticeable raise in quality then I don't know what to say.
Celta beat (and destroyed) Madrid and Barca, Rostov beat Bayern ffs.
Arsenal have beaten...who again?
Oh that's right, its a name..who couldn't beat 10 man Atletico at home.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
This club is doing its best to go even further backwards. I didn't think that were possible.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
We are very close to West Ham & Everton now. Good Job by the club.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I don't rate last season, Wenger lead Arsenal at all and the only post I have ever seen do is the one you've just posted.
You're just arguing to make an argument, if you're hanging you hat on the gooners and fourth placed side in a one team league in Marseille as if its a noticeable raise in quality then I don't know what to say.
Celta beat (and destroyed) Madrid and Barca, Rostov beat Bayern ffs.
Arsenal have beaten...who again?
Oh that's right, its a name..who couldn't beat 10 man Atletico at home.
You don't have to rate Wenger led Arsenal to think they're better than a 13th placed La Liga side or a team who couldn't win the Eredivisie. They were the 6th best team in England.

I'm not arguing to make an argument .. I just think it was an easy run, that's my honest opinion. If you don't think the 6th placed team in England is a noticeable raise in quality from the Belgian League or 13th in Spain, or that 4th placed is significantly better than 9th then I also don't know what to say. You're using one off results to act like Rostov and Celta Vigo were good teams (I'm pretty sure they didn't 'destroy either Madrid or Barca that season?) when one was placed 6th in Russia and the other 13th in Spain. Rostov got beat 5-0 by Bayern and then won 3-2 at home when it was a dead rubber .. regardless one good result does not make a good side.

These are not good teams. If you think they are, then that is fair enough. I'm not prepared to argue it further in this thread because it's pointless. Also, Atletico are one of Europe's top sides and even down to 10 men are dangerous, Arsenal over two legs didn't do too badly to only lose 2-1 to them. United faced a bunch of teams you would absolutely expect them to beat, and you beat them. Acting like it was anything other than a very easy run compared to what other sides have had is an exercise in futility.

Atletico faced the champions of Russia, the 3rd best team in Portugal, the 6th best team in England and the 4th best team in France on their way to the final. It wasn't a bad run at all (again, you'd expect them to win all those games) but yes in my opinion it was harder than the one you had, and I have no reason to be biased either way. I was just disagreeing with you that Atletico's run was easier, 'tis no big deal if you think it wasn't.

Anyway, moving back on topic Arsenal's best hope of the CL this year definitely lies in the Europa League. Emery has a knack for it and there are some decent teams left but none that will focus it in the way Arsenal will have to. Won't be easy and it's risky throwing your hopes on a knockout competition, but there's no real reason to think they have the strength to finish ahead of us or Chelsea.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
TBF I do it more comparing it between Arsenal and Man. United. I'm sure for a semi final Arsenal would've rather had Celta than a squad who'd made two CL finals in the last 3 years.

Would Man. United have beaten Atletico over two legs, I doubt it.

cyberman

TBF I do it more comparing it between Arsenal and Man. United. I'm sure for a semi final Arsenal would've rather had Celta than a squad who'd made two CL finals in the last 3 years.

Would Man. United have beaten Atletico over two legs, I doubt it.
But Atletico were the Utd of last year. The favourites of the whole thing. Why would we be Arsenal?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
But Atletico were the Utd of last year. The favourites of the whole thing. Why would we be Arsenal?
Arsenal were in same position as you, needed to win Europa to make CL due to league position being too low so everything was staked on that competition so comparison made sense to me.

cyberman

Arsenal were in same position as you, needed to win Europa to make CL due to league position being too low so everything was staked on that competition so comparison made sense to me.
But I was answering the post saying has any winner ever had an easier run. Arsenal didn't win it.
We were still favourites with the likes of Roma and Spurs in it, Arsenal were never in that position

Djemba-Djemba

It wasn't our fault in 2017 potential rivals were shite and knocked out early.

I mean who knocked Spurs out? Genk?

Anyway Arsenal look a mess, on saturday against West ham apart from their strikers West Ham genuinely had the better players.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Feck Arsenal and their shitty fans to midtable obscurity. They've had it coming.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Was this Mislinstat chap good at what he did?
Hummels, Kagawa, Gundogan, Lewandowski, Aubameyang, Guerreiro, Dembele, Pulisic recruited for Dortmund. He has a decent record yes.
Seems he was the one behind Torreira and Sokratis too. Dark times ahead if nothing major is done very soon...

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Bit of a weird one that he's already leaving considering the whole hoopla when he was signed. Apart from Torreira I don't think his signings has been that impressive tbh. Not sure why Arsenal fans are going in such a meltdown.

Womp

idiot
Was this Mislinstat chap good at what he did?
Was responsible for players like Toreirra and Aubemyang iirc. Most his signings I'm aware of, bar Liechtensteiner have been good buys. On a relatively small budget too. That being said, I'm not sure who he was responsible for and how much influence he had.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Bit of a weird one that he's already leaving considering the whole hoopla when he was signed. Apart from Torreira I don't think his signings has been that impressive tbh. Not sure why Arsenal fans are going in such a meltdown.
According to Guardian article, he was worried that his role will be nothing but glorified chief scout as there are some changes and the chance of him becoming technical director is very slim. Not sure what all those roles mean.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Because Arsenal being Arsenal, he was supposed to be a big asset in getting good players for modest fees.Raul and Emery are locked on Spain and ex-players.

Fosu-Mens

Should we be in to get him to fill the new director of football role?
Head of recruitement at Arsenal. Was annoyed when he signed for Arsenal, and should we be able to acquire him it would be a good signing. Don't think he would be DoF, but more as a chief scout/similar role he had at Arsenal. From the signings he has been part of through his carrer career, he seems like a "must have".

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Massive shame if Bellerin is out for 9-10 months.
Big blow. He played well yesterday and important for Arsenal to have his energy so all play dosen't go through Kolasanaic on the left. Guess Maitland-Niles wil fill in but he obviously lacks that experience in the big games.

Chairman Steve

Arsenal have stated Mislintat officially leaving on 8th February.

Imagine if he joins us and that Berta to Utd link is a red herring thrown out there. It may be possible... I read some rumours that another reason for his departure aside from low transfer funds is he wanted to be more of a technical director than just the head of recruitment (aka more control). It’s something we’re certainly in the market for if the press releases are true and the timing between this event and us supposedly undergoing a restructuring.

Woodward did want Klopp when Klopp was at Dortmund, so it wouldn’t be too far fetched that he’d try for the guy who was in charge of recruitment during Klopps tenure.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What's so great about him btw ? Arsenal have made three decent signings of late in Aubamayang, Lacazette and Torriera. Is that where all the hype comes from and does the manager not play a part in those signings?