Arsenal 2018/19

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
What's so great about him btw ? Arsenal have made three decent signings of late in Aubamayang, Lacazette and Torriera. Is that where all the hype comes from and does the manager not play a part in those signings?
He was at Dortmund before. That's where the hype comes from.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Sven Mislintat is rumoured to leave them already. What do the resident Arsenal fans think about this?
As the below article hints at, I think it's a power struggle and/or he's got a better offer from Bayern. He also sounded like a bit of a bullshitter that wanted to take credit for success in an interview I read. He was trying to make out that Emery was his choice of manager and like he re-invented scouting, while mainly signing Ex-Dortmund players and a past it fullback from a lesser league. The best diamond in the rough in Goudouzi wasn't his find, he was scouted by Grimandi. I tend to think he takes credit for other scouts findings. This is the second time he's had a falling out behind the scenes, wasn't it with Tuchel at Dortmund?

Well that's actually a good thing. StatDNA and Gazidis is the reason for our worst signings, ie Xhaka, Gabriel, Perez and Mustafi are all StatDNA signings. Wenger clearly didn't fancy a few of those but they were signed anyway. The sooner Gazidis mark on the club is gone the better

Because Arsenal being Arsenal, he was supposed to be a big asset in getting good players for modest fees.

Hummels, Kagawa, Gundogan, Lewandowski, Aubameyang, Guerreiro, Dembele, Pulisic recruited for Dortmund. He has a decent record yes.
Seems he was the one behind Torreira and Sokratis too. Dark times ahead if nothing major is done very soon...
He hasn't managed to do that though and it's likely that that's largely because Dortmund's Scouting networks weren't about Sven doing it alone but the whole Dortmund team of scouts. As for Aubameyang and Dembele, everyone could see they were going to be huge players

Most of his signings for us have been ex-Dortmund players, an ancient fullback who you just knew wouldn't handle the pace of the PL, an error prone keeper and a decent midfielder. I actually think he's been found out a bit. I reckon I could do a better job than he's done in the last 12 months.

Suarez looks like a cracking signing too and is another that's nothing to do with Sven

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Hummels, Kagawa, Gundogan, Lewandowski, Aubameyang, Guerreiro, Dembele, Pulisic recruited for Dortmund. He has a decent record yes.
Seems he was the one behind Torreira and Sokratis too. Dark times ahead if nothing major is done very soon...
He actually did not recruit any of them. He scouted them, even discovered some of them, but his role in recruiting them ended exactly there. The whole negotiation process with agents, players and clubs was led by our DoF Zorc in some rare cases CEO Watzke.

Don´t get me wrong, Mislintat is one of the best scouts in the scene and we still profit from the scouting network he helped build up and whom most of them are not freelancer but actually contractually bound to the club (one of the reasons why our scouting was not really negatively impacted by his departure), but his area of expertise beyond that is still pretty unproven.

The crux of the matter is that Mislintat is seemingly no longer content with just his work as head scout but wants greater influence, influence he would have never gotten at Dortmund as long as Zorc would be active. This was the main reason for his parting and at Arsenal this might have been a similar case.

Maybe Bayern promises him a bigger role (they lack a strong DoF figure), although it remains to be seen how many miracles Mislintat will be actually be able to pull of in the future. With the huge amount of data and footage freely avaibable nowadays I feel that finding the talents is actually the lesser role compared to actually convincing them that the club is the right place for them to develop. Nearly all talents we recently signed were already sought after by many (in several cases bigger) clubs, but we offered the best perspective for them.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
He actually did not recruit any of them. He scouted them, even discovered some of them, but his role in recruiting them ended exactly there. The whole negotiation process with agents, players and clubs was led by our DoF Zorc in some rare cases CEO Watzke.
Fair enough i thought he had a bigger say in things than that. Meanwhile, according to the Mail, it seems his spot is going to be given to Francis Cagigao who recommended the signings of Alexis, Bellerin, Cazorla and Fabregas. Sanlehi, Emery & Cagigao in charge.
Friendship with Germany ended now Spain is our best friend.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

Really bad luck for the club and Bellerin. He'd just come back from another injury.

SomeRandomPerson

What's so great about him btw ? Arsenal have made three decent signings of late in Aubamayang, Lacazette and Torriera. Is that where all the hype comes from and does the manager not play a part in those signings?
I think the hype comes from his time at Dortmund. Michael Zorc, their DoF (?), and Mislintat were responsible for building Klopp's title winning Dortmund team, and he apparently has a keen eye for talent. Amy Lawrence was talking about him on Football Weekly the other day, and she made him seem very impressive. We should probably look to get him on board given our struggles with recruitment over the last 5 years.

montpelier

Happy with Maitland-Niles, Lichsteiner & Jenkinson as his back up for Bellenderin, apparently.

He must rate Maitland-Niles quite highly.

RedDevilRoshi

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - they are gash!

We will finish above them.

Last edited:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Arsenal are somehow a worse run big club than us . They have absolutely no idea what their plan is for the future . Unlike United they had ages to plan for post Wenger era but they have completely botched it. The ozil situation is just beyond crazy now , he is making over 300k a week and can't even start a cup game . That second half was pretty much a whole lot of nothing and I would be going nuts if United lost like that at home

el3mel

They have the Europe League to save the season, otherwise, it's as fecked up season as the last one.

F1D

Apart from Bellerin who is injured and Ramsey who is leaving, I think only Lacazette is high quality at that lot. Aubameyang misses a lot, his conversion rate must be horrendous. They need a new midfield and back four.

They pass the ball around alot,much like how they were under Wenger. And they do put in some attractive passing triangles now and again,which are usually outside the area.
But they're still laughably insecure at the back.Like, hilariously bad.

Melville Red

After tonight’s match it’s plain to see why Ramsey is off. There is a lot of rebuilding to be done at Arsenal and Ramsey obviously wants to win things, and of course have a big pay day.

kidbob

It's really weird to be honest. This was a SAF special except our defence is way worse than then, we were missing the best keeper in the World and without out 2 best attackers. Arsenal's attack is fine, their midfield is alright and their defence and keeper was no worst than ours tonight but still they looked as much of a shambles as Sir Arsene had them in the last 10 years. I'd be happy to have Auba, Laca and at least Torreira in the United team but they just can't seem to get it right regardless of the personnel. It's like a weird curse. Honestly apart from CBs what the hell are you meant to do with that side against a United team missing 4 of it's best players? Also how bloody bad are Chelsea? Hazard should have been smart and joined us the idiot.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Koscielny has broken his jaw, Bellerin, Welbeck and Holding have long-term injuries and Papa is injured as well, but according to Redcafe, we are lucky.

Not even City would have won today with so many injuries to an already crap team.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Koscielny has broken his jaw, Bellerin, Welbeck and Holding have long-term injuries and Papa is injured as well, but according to Redcafe, we are lucky.

Not even City would have won today with so many injuries to an already crap team.
You are lamenting injuries to a washed up defender, a fashion model, bambi on ice and Holding...yes you are lucky to be where you are. Had teams like Palace and Watford had their finishing boots on you would be near Watford and Wolves. That unbeaten run was suspect as hell.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
So? They are still our first-choice defenders. Not the best, but not even the worst. We finished the game with Mustafi and Xhaka as CBs.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Let’s be honest. Injuries or no injuries, Arsenal players right now aren’t good enough. Only Bellerín and Aubameyang that will give challenge to our current XI. But with Rashford on current form and potential, i’ll take Rashford all day over Aubameyang right now.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Arsenal worse than they were under Wenger.

The Torreira hype died really quickly.

Irwin99

How badly are those injuries going to affect their top 4 chances? Looks grim

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They look fecking poor.
They have regressed to the mean under Emery.
They've got no chance of top four. Both Auba and Laca would need to have unreal seasons between now and the end to make it.
They are lucky they have the most successful manager in Europa League history.

Last edited:

Adisa

Bellerin to is the only player they have that's 100% guaranteed to start for us.

Adisa

It's really weird to be honest. This was a SAF special except our defence is way worse than then, we were missing the best keeper in the World and without out 2 best attackers. Arsenal's attack is fine, their midfield is alright and their defence and keeper was no worst than ours tonight but still they looked as much of a shambles as Sir Arsene had them in the last 10 years. I'd be happy to have Auba, Laca and at least Torreira in the United team but they just can't seem to get it right regardless of the personnel. It's like a weird curse. Honestly apart from CBs what the hell are you meant to do with that side against a United team missing 4 of it's best players? Also how bloody bad are Chelsea? Hazard should have been smart and joined us the idiot.
Their midfield isn't alright. Xhaka is bobbins.

haram

Ozil and Ramsey are two of their best players and they dont even play.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
I don't rate last season, Wenger lead Arsenal at all and the only post I have ever seen do is the one you've just posted.
You're just arguing to make an argument, if you're hanging you hat on the gooners and fourth placed side in a one team league in Marseille as if its a noticeable raise in quality then I don't know what to say.
Celta beat (and destroyed) Madrid and Barca, Rostov beat Bayern ffs.
Arsenal have beaten...who again?
Oh that's right, its a name..who couldn't beat 10 man Atletico at home.
Everything he has said is 100% correct.

When United won the Europa League they were literally odds-on favourites for every match that they played, and exclusively played against much smaller clubs who had spent far, far less money on their playing squads.

Arsenal narrowly lost to Atletico, who have been in the Champions League final, knocked Barca out of the CL twice, and won La Liga recently, who have one of the most highly regarded coaches in the world, who have possibly the best defender in the world in Godin, one of the world's absolute top players in Griezmann, and countless other world-class players, and who are at least as big as Arsenal as a club. Arsenal had a chance in that tie, but were second favourites, and Atletico would have fancied their chances against any English club; they've played Chelsea 5 times in recent years, and won 2 and drew 2 of them.

That's not being biased, that's just reality.

montpelier

Kos has never been all that. And Bellerin & Mustafi are crap. Which is nearly their first choice.

Utd defence isn't great but it's a bit better than theirs on a good day, at least.

I like their forwards. They ought not to be letting Ramsey leave. While keeping Ozil (for the can't be bothered reasons) & Xhaka especially.

cyberman

Everything he has said is 100% correct.

When United won the Europa League they were literally odds-on favourites for every match that they played, and exclusively played against much smaller clubs who had spent far, far less money on their playing squads.

Arsenal narrowly lost to Atletico, who have been in the Champions League final, knocked Barca out of the CL twice, and won La Liga recently, who have one of the most highly regarded coaches in the world, who have possibly the best defender in the world in Godin, one of the world's absolute top players in Griezmann, and countless other world-class players, and who are at least as big as Arsenal as a club. Arsenal had a chance in that tie, but were second favourites, and Atletico would have fancied their chances against any English club; they've played Chelsea 5 times in recent years, and won 2 and drew 2 of them.

That's not being biased, that's just reality.
And every game Atletico played they were heavy favourites as well. Plus they were a world class side who had a slow start to the season so the quality gap between the sides in each tie was bigger than an English side who finished 6th that season.
We are not Arsenal in this conversation, we were the Atletico of that season.

Vadim

Average manager, shit players and owners that don’t want to spend cash.

They’ll hover around 5th-7th for the foreseeable future. The Everton of London.

It’s great.

Couldn't believe them on our third goal. The midfield gives the ball away and then just lets Pogba pull away from them as they all jog back. It will be a long time before that club wins anything again.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Average manager, shit players and owners that don’t want to spend cash.

They’ll hover around 5th-7th for the foreseeable future. The Everton of London.

It’s great.
Does that make you lot the Everton of Manchester?

Guy Incognito

Can't think of a club that gets routinely done on the counter as many times as they do.

Their defence is absolute rubbish. When Koscielny is heralded as your best defender you know you have issues.