Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Told you so. This is where it starts.

(The fact, or rather the bitter irony of the fact, that I now have to "hope" that City do well over the next couple of weeks is not lost on me. And - for the record - I still want Arsenal to win the league, rather than City, even if that means I was wrong about Lego Pep.)

djembatheking

Business as usual for the Gooners. They will slip up even more when the Europa league resumes.

crossy1686

career ending
They’re going to struggle in the congestion, was always the case. They’ve played well but they’ve been very lucky and that runs out sooner or later

ESR10

Supports
Arsenal
Everton defended with two players on Saka and Martinelli and three on Odegaard.
Same as Newcastle.
Arteta need to find a solution because it will happen again.
Also, Partey is our main player. We lost after him coming off. Same against City

Robertd0803

Amusing that they have gone from winning the league after the game against us to now being in a pretty awkward position if City win tomorrow.

Although pretty much everyone predicted Arsenal would lose today in fairness.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Amusing that they have gone from winning the league after the game against us to now being in a pretty awkward position if City win tomorrow.

Although pretty much everyone predicted Arsenal would lose today in fairness.
Yep, we were always going to lose a few games until the end of the season but it's a shame we used one today. Brentford won't be easy but we must win it before hosting City.
Newcastle locking Saka out of the game was efficient but Everton focusing on Odegaard killed any creativity. Xhaka wasn't great either, Martinelli off for the second game in a row.
They need a wake-up call.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yes, this is why I'm always against the notion of throwing away games or prioritising competitions, at least at this stage of the season. Because it screws up with momentum and mentality. That's 2 losses in a row now in all comps. We didn't look like we had a week's break. Oh well, on to the next one.
Very good point.

I suggested the attitude in camp should be want to win every game (ten Hag is trying to do that with us). Especially when you want to create a winning culture.

I got shot down for suggesting it was disappointing to see that performance v City in the cup.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Well, had our annual defeat at Goodison now. To go with our annual defeat at Old Trafford. Got our Annual defeat at Anfield and Etihad to come. We love playing in Merseyside and Manchester.

OhGee

Everton defended with two players on Saka and Martinelli and three on Odegaard.
Same as Newcastle.
Arteta need to find a solution because it will happen again.
Also, Partey is our main player. We lost after him coming off. Same against City
So 5 Everton players on 3 - what happened to the 2 Arsenal players that were freed up from this tactic - having a break?

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Very good point.

I suggested the attitude in camp should be want to win every game (ten Hag is trying to do that with us). Especially when you want to create a winning culture.

I got shot down for suggesting it was disappointing to see that performance v City in the cup.
I agree. IMO it’s the height of arrogance to be thinking we’re too good for this or that competition and it’s not the right mentality. I was happy enough with the performance v City considering we threw that game away, but didn’t like that we prioritised comps this early in the season. Top players need to be able to play 2-3 games a week, and TBH I think our light schedule last couple of weeks worked against us in terms of momentum. We certainly didn’t look very fresh and most players looked off the pace. United, for example, has played one extra game than us in the past week and are looking more cohesive than ever. Our play didn’t flow at all, but I think you also have to give Everton credit there.

Now I’m sure people will say if Partey didn’t play against City he wouldn’t have been injured (I don’t think he was 100% fit today), but truth is he can get injured at any time (even in training) and we can’t wrap him up in cotton wool. If we honestly don’t expect him to play every game for us then he probably shouldn’t be in our team. Also he wasn’t the only one who had a poor game, was the whole team. The only player IMO who looked his usual self was Gabriel, maybe Ramsdale.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
So 5 Everton players on 3 - what happened to the 2 Arsenal players that were freed up from this tactic - having a break?
Football expert ladies and gentlemen

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
bad loss but still top, where everyone wants to be. Have to beat city in 10 days. But having to beat the best to win the title is where we want to be.

Josep Dowling

Winning the league is never a linear line to 1st. The losses generally come from unexpected opposition. It’s going to be interesting to see how Arsenal react now. If City win today and with them playing City soon the pressure is starting to mount. It’s set up a decent title race. Just a shame we didn’t beat them as there could have been an outside chance for us.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Winning the league is never a linear line to 1st. The losses generally come from unexpected opposition. It’s going to be interesting to see how Arsenal react now. If City win today and with them playing City soon the pressure is starting to mount. It’s set up a decent title race. Just a shame we didn’t beat them as there could have been an outside chance for us.
Unfortunately while an loss at Goodison might be unexpected for most other teams, it now seems to be the norm for the last few years for Arsenal. Our record there in inexplicable recently.

Castia

They play City in a couple of games and will probably get beat as well opening the title race right up

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
They play City in a couple of games and will probably get beat as well opening the title race right up
Perhaps, although I'm much more confident in us at home than I am away. We seen to have these certain grounds where we historically struggle, at Goodison for some reason is 1 of them.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Their team lacks players who has won it. City has an advantage in this regard.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I’d be worried how easy it was for us to shut you down. We have given everyone the blueprint now to do that. We didn’t look in any danger of losing today and as much as people will say that’s because of new manager bounce, a lot of it is because we were exceptionally tactically disciplined.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
It’s just one loss, people are overreacting a bit. They will get a jolt from this and probably go on a run now

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I’d be worried how easy it was for us to shut you down. We have given everyone the blueprint now to do that. We didn’t look in any danger of losing today and as much as people will say that’s because of new manager bounce, a lot of it is because we were exceptionally tactically disciplined.
Leeds done the same and ouplayed us more than you did. Unfortunately we still have those games in us, especially away from home. It's why ultimately I don't see us winning the league, as City will likely take care of those games with more regularity.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Leeds done the same and ouplayed us more than you did. Unfortunately we still have those games in us, especially away from home. It's why ultimately I don't see us winning the league, as City will likely take care of those games with more regularity.
Depends how you define outplayed. We had more big chances in our game against you than they did. They had more possession/ on the front foot more but I don’t think more possession/more front foot means outplayed, just means different types of playing. We didn’t need possession to outplay you.

Sylar

It’s just one loss, people are overreacting a bit. They will get a jolt from this and probably go on a run now
Especially if city fail to beat spurs. Spurs probably win the reverse fixture if they didn't have lloris.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Depends how you define outplayed. We had more big chances in our game against you than they did. They had more possession/ on the front foot more but I don’t think more possession/more front foot means outplayed, just means different types of playing. We didn’t need possession to outplay you.
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but the 2nd half especially felt like the Alamo. Think it was something like 2.35 x 0.86 xg compared to 1.58 v 0.81 yesterday. Disallowed goal, missed penalty, for me that game was the game it felt like we were under most sustained pressure all season.

LordSpud

Lets face it, they were never winning the league this year. Leicester seasons happen but once in a lifetime. That, and the fact that they need to play City twice, go to Anfield, go to Newcastle I think its a pretty fair assumption that they will drop into a Top 4 race. I actually think we will finish above them too.

Guy Incognito

Lets face it, they were never winning the league this year. Leicester seasons happen but once in a lifetime. That, and the fact that they need to play City twice, go to Anfield, go to Newcastle I think its a pretty fair assumption that they will drop into a Top 4 race. I actually think we will finish above them too.
If City perform like we expect them to, then I agree the title is out of reach for Arsenal. Problem is there is no evidence they will click into gear with Haaland up front.

Again if we are going by previous history then Arsenal's away trips will cost them. Arteta seemingly struggles to get his teams to perform at the 'traditional' grounds where it feels claustrophobic like Goodison. Saying that they looked good at Stamford Bridge a few months ago.

What will probably cost them is an injury to Partey and/or going deep in the Europa, especially if the gap shortens and City play first at the weekend.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
11 points clear of Spurs with 2 games in hand. I know we had a bit of a lead over them last season and they reeled us in, but there's no way they are catching that. We won't be in a top 4 race.