Arsenal are a shambles

Mike09

They kept their best player Sanchez, signed striker who can score goals Lacazette, sign a left back Kolasinac. I think they have solved half of their "main issue".

As for the other half, they need a proper holding midfielder and a better manager. Which are two most crucial ones and they failed to sort them out.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
All depends if Arsenal get his tactics right, they needed a DM badly I reckon. If they started with this team against Liverpool(i know it's all useless now but still)

Cech
Bellerin-Kosclieny-Mustafi/Chambers/Monreal-Kolasinac
Coquelin/Elneny-Xhaka
Ramsey-Ozil-Sanchez
Lacazette

then they might have stood a better chance. However Wenger has lost it and still to arrogant to change. His interview the other day where he said that he'll use 2nd team in Europa League just proved his wrong mentality.
That last part is key. Winning becomes a habit, which is why Mourinho went all out to win the EL last year, why he places so much stock in the League Cup.

In comparison, Wenger has spent the past 13 years repeating the mantra that 4th place is like winning a trophy, playing youngsters in the LC and is now dismissing the EL.

It's easy to understand why so many pundits think the players at Arsenal have become too comfortable.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
They kept their best player Sanchez, signed striker who can score goals Lacazette, sign a left back Kolasinac. I think they have solved half of their "main issue".

As for the other half, they need a proper holding midfielder and a better manager. Which are two most crucial ones and they failed to sort them out.
Their problem have not been the quality of the players though. They always had good players but their manager is past his due date and failed to instill a winning mentality for too long

Silver

It's still going to benefit them more than £60m in the bank would because he will provide goals and assists, something money wouldn't have done. If they could replace him, even with someone inferior but still good, they'd have done well but this wasn't an option when Lemar turned them down.
Yeah I agree on this. Shrewd business not letting him go without a replacement. My point was about Sanchez was in the context of comparing him to Ronaldo wanting to leave. Sanchez was performing but Arsenal weren't winning titles or even competing beyond a certain point. They were in the same position before he arrived. Ronaldo performed and we won titles. When he left we still won titles. If Arsenal were in the CL this year, they probably would have sold him more readily because they could have got a replacement more easily.

fellaini's barber

The biggest problem is still Arsene Wenger staying in the club for I don't know how longer. Like I don't know what is he waiting or trying to achieve in his last years, rebuild yet again another team, winning a league or waiting to be kicked. Normally it would be a good thing to keep Alexis but with him ahead don't think he's signing a new contract so it's really pointless and it would have been better if both Alexis and Arsene had left the club already.
Well he's not going to sack himself is he? The man seems to be one of the club owners. His job does not seem to be based on performance or anything. Is there any other top club in the world where it's the coach who decides he's going to stay or go despite the fans and players being sick of him

Akshay

Staff
Vieira wanted to leave for years, we kept him and won a bunch of trophies. Once the transfer window is shut and the football starts, then I trust Sanchez to be professional and get on with it.
Difference is Sanchez is almost certainly leaving of his own volition in a year's time. I expect him to refocus and be professional now, but he's eligible to sign a pre-contract in January. Will he really be motivated in the final months of the season or distracted by thoughts of his new club and eager not to risk any injury that might jeopardize his move?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Difference is Sanchez is almost certainly leaving of his own volition in a year's time. I expect him to refocus and be professional now, but he's eligible to sign a pre-contract in January. Will he really be motivated in the final months of the season or distracted by thoughts of his new club and eager not to risk any injury that might jeopardize his move?
He'll sign a deal with a release clause in the next few weeks. Arsenal don't want him to leave for nothing and he won't want to play one injury away from missing out on his last huge payday.

slir32

I don't get Arsenal and Arsene Wenger. They won't spend the money to fix all their issues they do it in drips and drabs and it takes so long they lose players in that time frame. But Arsene decides to keep Alexis and lose him on a free next season i don't get it.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Their only problem right now is squad mentality. On paper they are good enough for top 4.

Silver

Well he's not going to sack himself is he? The man seems to be one of the club owners. His job does not seem to be based on performance or anything. Is there any other top club in the world where it's the coach who decides he's going to stay or go despite the fans and players being sick of him
Well he has been there 20 years now. He's built that club in his vision similar to what SAF did. Even if they sack him, there's no ready made replacement that can slot in as easily as other clubs. Arsenal will face similar problems to United did when SAF left, off the pitch. His job has been secure not because of performance or trophies but because of financial reasons. That's on the owners. As for him, he's failed to adapt. That's the difference between him and SAF and their careers.

Frank Grimes

They should have signed a CDM, Krychowiak went to WBA and was a key player for Sevilla before his terrible year at PSG.
They kept Sanchez and Mustafi though and Oxlade Chamberlain will not be a massive loss I feel as he was never consistently good for them anyway.

Arsenal's main problem is Wenger and his terrible team selections and tactics. What manager buys a lb/lwb and prefers to play a rb in his positon. Not to mention leaving his major signing on the bench against a direct rival. Crazy. Wenger is Arsenal's biggest problem and they will not progress until he leaves.

Their first XI should be good enough to compete though and I expect them to go on a decent run now before the inevitable next meltdown.

Trizy

Their only problem right now is squad mentality. On paper they are good enough for top 4.
Are they though? Apart from Sanchez the rest of the wouldn't make it into United, City or Chelseas starting 11. One could argue the bench too.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
They've somehow gotten out of this transfer window with their squad strenghtened. Ox is not a big loss for them but they've managed to keep Ozil and Sanchez too. If Wenger gets his tactics right, they could still be dangerous.
:wenger:

Judas

Open to offers
It makes me laugh that people throughout the summer saw them as a title contender. As long as Wenger is still in charge they are destined to fail, and fail miserable. No matter who they sign, don't sell, it's that simply, utterly doomed.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

If the manager isn't fit to manage anymore, then they have more than half their problems not solved.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Are they though? Apart from Sanchez the rest of the wouldn't make it into United, City or Chelseas starting 11. One could argue the bench too.
You are exaggerating. Kolasinac and Lacazette are good additions. Mustafi is staying so they don't have to play Holding as much anymore. Good enough for top 4.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Watch them extract £40/50m from barcelona for Ozil before midnight

OneUnited24

Err... we kept Ronaldo longer than he would have liked.
He didn’t kick up as big of a fuss as Sanchez has. With Ronaldo you knew that he’s perform 100% even after the whole saga. I don’t get the same feeling with coutinho or Sanchez

Mike09

If the manager isn't fit to manage anymore, then they have more than half their problems not solved.
Yeah we could say that. Manager's problem is pretty much 70% of the problem. But what I meant in that post was "main problem" not all the problems.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He didn’t kick up as big of a fuss as Sanchez has. With Ronaldo you knew that he’s perform 100% even after the whole saga. I don’t get the same feeling with coutinho or Sanchez
Did Cris actually perform at 100% that season? I seem to remember he kind of took it easy and only really showed his best when the team needed him to...

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Did Cris actually perform at 100% that season? I seem to remember he kind of took it easy and only really showed his best when the team needed him to...
He scored below 20 in the league after getting over 30 the season before so he was worse but he still got us to a CL final with that stunner against Porto and a great performance against Arsenal.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He scored below 20 in the league after getting over 30 the season before so he was worse but he still got us to a CL final with that stunner against Porto and a great performance against Arsenal.
...which...kind of confirms my impression?

Oldyella

Add to that, they didnt make top 4 last year, and everyone else has strengthened for this season. I can easily see them missing out again. They really need a change of manager to bring in some fresh ideas.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Ronaldo sulked quite a bit first half of 08/09 - kicking out at players, throwing his shirt, etc. Definitely let the situation affect him and he just wasn't as good as the previous two seasons although he pulled some good form together in the run-in.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Lets hope you are right. But Fangs did play well in the last season at Anfield.

itso 7

He'll sign a deal with a release clause in the next few weeks. Arsenal don't want him to leave for nothing and he won't want to play one injury away from missing out on his last huge payday.
If a thirty-six year old Ibra, recovering from knee ligament damage can secure a huge contract with United Sanchez certainly will get his big move regardless of how huge the injury would be. Sanchez will go through the motions and use the world up to remind managers how good he can be so no risk at all for him.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If a thirty-six year old Ibra, recovering from knee ligament damage can secure a huge contract with United Sanchez certainly will get his big move regardless of how huge the injury would be. Sanchez will go through the motions and use the world up to remind managers how good he can be so no risk at all for him.
The point is that with no contract, there's no money secured. If he had a bad leg break and spent 18 months trying to get back to full fitness, that cost cost him 10s of millions in earnings as he will struggle to secure as lucrative a contract as he could now. He's at his absolute prime, a leg break and a couple years older and he won't get the same deal.

It just makes sense for him to secure his future earnings and it makes sense for Arsenal to allow him to do that while securing a fee for next summer.

Crashoutcassius

Performances have been poor with transfer window uncertainty. That said, not a bad window where they kept two best players and added a striker they have been after for years. If Wenger can get this squad to knuckle down they will be okay

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Performances have been poor with transfer window uncertainty. That said, not a bad window where they kept two best players and added a striker they have been after for years. If Wenger can get this squad to knuckle down they will be okay
This. Everyone is going way overboard about their situation. Yes, their performance vs Liverpool was horrible but it's not like they don't have the players to turn this around. The only issue is whether Wenger can motivate his team for an entire season, which I don't think he can based on his history.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Lacazette, Ozil, Kolasinac, Ramsey are good players who can get into any starting 11 in the league. Wenger just needs to sort out his squad.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Wenger used to have a golden touch with player improvement. What happened with that? Player like welbeck, Ramsey, chamberlain, wilshere, gibbs were all promised to sign for the best developer of young players around. Never happened. No one save kocielny seem to get any better on his watch these days.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Lacazette, Ozil, Kolasinac, Ramsey are good players who can get into any starting 11 in the league. Wenger just needs to sort out his squad.
That is patently untrue. For all of them.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
None of those start for City. Not a single one. Ramsey wouldn't start for Everton.

AndyJ1985

Utter rubbish.

Lukaku and Zlatan > Lacazette
Ozil is a lazy sulking little shit. Wouldn't want him in our squad never mind our first team.
Kolasinac might get in the team next to Bailly.
Ramsey would be our 4th choice CM.

And that's just for United. Most of them wouldn't make the Chelsea, City, and Spurs teams either.

FujiVice

Arsenal are in serious trouble, blud. Their players are so unmotivated, fam. Needed a serious injection of need players, you understand me.