Arsenal - Dirty team

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Yeh, fine, that's your view point on it, but there's no way on god's earth we were battered physically today as has been said. Why do people believe this stuff?
You weren't battered physically, but couldn't impose yourselves to the point where you could play your tardemark football, and as you have only one way of playing this is quite a huge factor.

Aboutreika18

Sir Alex Ferguson: Arsenal now as physical as in Martin Keown's day

Sir Alex Ferguson has questioned the legitimacy of Arsenal's "lilywhite" image ahead of their game at Manchester United tomorrow night, citing their disciplinary record as evidence that Arsène Wenger has nurtured his most competitive side "since the days of Martin Keown".

Ferguson expects a match of the "usual feisty nature" when the two old adversaries meet at Old Trafford and, writing in his programme notes, he questioned whether Wenger had deliberately perpetuated the sense that Arsenal were football purists.

"Our matches with Arsenal have always been competitive and don't be deceived by the popular view that the Gunners play pretty football but can be kicked out of games," Ferguson writes.

"Arsène has possibly encouraged this because earlier in the season he was berating two or three teams for being overly physical in their games against his side. I'm sure he saw it that way, but other managers and coaches tell me the present Arsenal side are one of the toughest in the Premier League, and the most physical since the days of Martin Keown.

"They play nice football and weave some intricate patterns but there is an edge through their team that also accounts for their presence as title challengers this season. His boys are not the lilywhites portrayed by their admirers. How many players have they had sent off this season? Three: Laurent Koscielny [twice], Jack Wilshere and Alex Song."

Ferguson's comments are about as provocative as it gets these days between himself and Wenger now that the two men, once sworn enemies, have called a truce to their feud. United's manager used to complain that Wenger would never have a drink with him after matches, but that has changed over the past couple of seasons.

"When he first came to England, Arsène didn't totally embrace the tradition but I am happy to say he regularly comes into my office for a glass of wine after a match and, of course, he entertains at the Emirates."

Ferguson also keeps to his promise to ask United's supporters to refrain from targeting Wenger with the offensive songs that have led to complaints over recent years.

"Before we get under way could I make a special appeal to that small section of our fans who seem to get perverse pleasure from taunting Arsène Wenger with crude chants? He deserves better, much better."
Interesting.

Spoony

The People's President
:lol: It's the sea of cliches again. Park scores a fantastic header, and it's boys versus men. How do you even work that out? We weren't battered physically today at all? It's lunacy. Stop listening to Keys and Gray and form your own opinion based on reality.
We?

Cliches or not I've not said anything untrue. But the bolded part made me chuckle. If it weren't for a brilliant header?!!! how about IF we scored from a couple of clear cut opportunities and from the pen spot?!! we would've won 4-0! you were second best all over the pitch bar a ten minute spell at the beginning of the second half. Men against boys. Little Nasri, Arshavin et al putting it about like Vieira and Petit.

Anyway, let's cancel the miraculous header...and call it a draw. And blame the pitch for Arsenal's inept performance.

Spoony

The People's President
Nothing to do with the header, ye just can't compete with Ferdinand, Fletcher, Vidic or even Carrick, likewise versus Chelsea. You have too many players that just can't compete physically, you need to be able to do both, fight and play.

So arsenal v United and Chelsea is men v boys, one win in 12 confirms it.
It's not even debatable. Everyone's wrong, though....

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
We?

Cliches or not I've not said anything untrue. But the bolded part made me chuckle. If it weren't for a brilliant header?!!! how about IF we scored from a from a couple of clear cut opportunities or and from pen spot?!! we would've won 4-0! you were second best all over the pitch bar a ten minute spell at the beginning of the second half. Men against boys. Little Nasri, Arshavin et al putting it about like Vieira and Petit.

Anyway, let's cancel the miraculous header...and call it a draw. And blame the pitch for Arsenal's inept performance.
Thats brilliant, you've just perfectly mimicked Wengers post match team talk.

Onwards and upwards boys.

Bearded but no genius

The fact their game plan was to kick the shit out of us, and it resulted in us dominating the game, illustrates the boys v. men point quite well.

I can understand Pete and JoPub being upset, but not sure what alastair is so wound up about.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
Absolute piss take. Those first 10 minutes were worse than anything Stoke have produced.
Im trying to think back to the last time i witnessed a visiting side be as blatant as Arsenal were tonight, i dont even think the likes of Bolton/Stoke/Blackburn even have ever been so blatantly set out to kick us off the pitch as what i saw tonight, and from a team that love to portray themselves as victims of very such tactics i thought it was utterly disgraceful.

Theres no doubt wenger sent them out to 'prove a point' tonight, from the first whistle they were kicking lumps out of us.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Possibly wound up by Evra's recent comments.
I felt the 'tackles' would be flying before the match...and so it proved.

But If that was their agenda then it is no wonder they lost the plot.

I would not be surprised if SAF had asked Evra make some of these comments to put them off the game.

SAF could never have got away with some of the stuff he said :)

Spoony

The People's President
I felt the 'tackles' would be flying before the match...and so it proved.

But If that was their agenda then it is no wonder they lost the plot.

I would not be surprised if SAF had asked Evra make some of these comments to put them off the game.

SAF could never have got away with some of the stuff he said :)
Well, it did throw them off their game. That said, he was probably desperate to try something different to ensure a more favourable outcome...after Arse's run of defeats against the Men. I suppose he'd run out of ideas....

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
It wasn't so much the dirtiness of it all more so the blatant nature of it, it was a systematic fouling of every Utd player in possession time after time.
Meh, 14 fouls in a one nil defeat to your rivals. I'd expect no less from a team I supported. And as I said they were usually as a result of being outmuscled, making Paddy's comments like insult to injury. They were the fouls of a beaten team, not a physical imposition on the game.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
:lol: It's the sea of cliches again. Park scores a fantastic header, and it's boys versus men. How do you even work that out? We weren't battered physically today at all? It's lunacy. Stop listening to Keys and Gray and form your own opinion based on reality.
Sorry mate, your team got wound up by Evra and came to Old Trafford forgetting the best part about your team, the fact that you guys can actually play some decent footy. You ended up concentrating more on giving niggling little fouls and eventually we coped better with the disjointed flow of the game better than your team did.

Brophs

The One and Only
Arsenal's only 'bad' challenge of the night was Chamakh's. That was a 'legs flailing' Rooney special.

Laphroaig

What the feck are yous on about. No ugly challenges, that's not the point. The point is they did what they regularily accuse others off: team fouling. Just about every single one of their players had a go. It's the most blatent stuff we've been up against for ages.

solvista

Shawshank redemption
Arsenal disgust me

horrible team, twat of a manager
I'm saddened that you think that way. Their manager is one of the best that ever worked in the premiere league.

They are not a horrible side. They are worthy opponents whom we enjoy beating on occasion and whom deserve to be in the top four of the league right now.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
14 fouls in a tight 1-0. Not exactly headline stuff is it?

Especially as the opta average for fouls per match is 26.3
Do they count the ones for which advantage was played too? Anyway, most posters got it right, it's the systematic fouling, and you can see it in the match thread when we were posting about rash tackles after rash tackles.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Do they count the ones for which advantage was played too? Anyway, most posters got it right, it's the systematic fouling, and you can see it in the match thread when we were posting about rash tackles after rash tackles.
The stats are calculated the way they always are, they commited the average amount of fouls for a game this season.

They lost, would you like them to giftwrap the 3 points?

Stop whining, and as for our match threads indicating anything except too many computers ... get away.

solvista

Shawshank redemption
Anti football once again from the purists.
Its true. I like a physical game, it makes better watching. There were rash challenges from both sides in fairnes. In general it was billed as an agressive arsenal side, and the arse lived up to it....but we matched them in our eagerness to win a ball imo.

There was a time in the bar tonight when the arse fans were calling for a card for Rio when I had to comment on the poor quality material that their shits were made of. Shit quality shits rip so easily don;t they?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It wouldn't have been an issue if it hadn't been for Wenger's previous bitching and Arsenal's general championing of themselves as the moral examples of beautiful football.

They're a bunch of clowns.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Exactly Noodle - the only worth this thread has is due to the hypocritical whining of Wenger when Arsenal are fouled. Oh the delicious irony.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
The stats are calculated the way they always are, they commited the average amount of fouls for a game this season.

They lost, would you like them to giftwrap the 3 points?

Stop whining, and as for our match threads indicating anything except too many computers ... get away.
I'm hardly crying a river about their fouls, unlike errr... Arsenal. We came away with no scraps and we won the match comfortably as well. But the point remains that they were the most physical of the teams that have come to OT this season, and as recently as a month back, Arse whinged about teams doing the same to them.

Did I touch a nerve? Just an internet forum, didn't mean no disrespect :nervous:

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
Yeh, fine, that's your view point on it, but there's no way on god's earth we were battered physically today as has been said. Why do people believe this stuff?
No one says you were battered physically.

The truth is, United didn't have to batter Arsenal physically.

Jopub

From Barca to Orient - back down to earth with a b
"Thomas..It's up for grabs now - Thomas, righ
Cant see what the fuss is with tackles / physicallity. It's a mans game ffsakes

When Utd were kicking us a few years ago its was a 'legitimate' tactic. imo an acceptable tactic that a team has to deal with

We were physical last night and good for us that we were - better than rolling over weeping about it. I enjoyed seeing young Wilshere get stuck in and put himself about - it will do him the world of good to get competitive at this level

Personally I think there's a few misconceptions about the game

Utd did not 'dominate' anything and apart from a flukey goal and one Nani shot in the first 45 produced little else - very even, if a poor, game with little creation with hardly two passes strung together by both sides

Anybody thinking Utd played well is on stuff - you were poor and we were a level poorer and that's pretty easy to see for me.

We were at the races for ten minutes and started to cause problems which opened the game up a little - then that was it - Utd nullified in midfield and got a couple of chances which our keeper dealt well with

There was not a lot of quality about it for me because Ferguson set you up to stifle us with energy and industry in the middle

Anderson Fletcher Carrick Park hardly your most creative talents but perfect for closing down the opposition with help from Rooney Even Berbatov never got on so for me Fergusons plan to nulify then push forward as we passed sideways worked perfectly - copybook Ferguson against Wenger

Shame I can see that but Wenger can't

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Cant see what the fuss is with tackles / physicallity. It's a mans game ffsakes

When Utd were kicking us a few years ago its was a 'legitimate' tactic. imo an acceptable tactic that a team has to deal with

We were physical last night and good for us that we were - better than rolling over weeping about it. I enjoyed seeing young Wilshere get stuck in and put himself about - it will do him the world of good to get competitive at this level

Personally I think there's a few misconceptions about the game

Utd did not 'dominate' anything and apart from a flukey goal and one Nani shot in the first 45 produced little else - very even, if a poor, game with little creation with hardly two passes strung together by both sides

Anybody thinking Utd played well is on stuff - you were poor and we were a level poorer and that's pretty easy to see for me.

We were at the races for ten minutes and started to cause problems which opened the game up a little - then that was it - Utd nullified in midfield and got a couple of chances which our keeper dealt well with

There was not a lot of quality about it for me because Ferguson set you up to stifle us with energy and industry in the middle

Anderson Fletcher Carrick Park hardly your most creative talents but perfect for closing down the opposition with help from Rooney Even Berbatov never got on so for me Fergusons plan to nulify then push forward as we passed sideways worked perfectly - copybook Ferguson against Wenger

Shame I can see that but Wenger can't
Totally agree with that and I don't think many United fans would have brought it up if it wasn't for the gross hypocrisy from Wenger.

Disagree with almost all of the rest of your post. You seem unable to appreciate the quality of a disciplined, hard-working defensive team performance. Not unlike your manager.

AttackingFlair

Didn't help with the ref letting Arsenal get away with everything. But yeah, Wenger in hypocritical shocker.