Arturo Vidal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamadovich86

Does anyone know if Tom McDermott is reliable? He's reporting that talks are ongoing and seem positive from what he gathers.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Would someone be able to save me the time of filtering through the 5 new pages today and summarise if there's been any developments of worth?

RustyS

This is not going to happen. If LvG thinks we need more midfielders, then I hope he has other targets to fall back on if/when this falls through.

northbynorthwest

its amazing the amount of people saying its not happening as if they are trying to keep themselves grounded in case it turns out like moura or ronadinho again.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
its amazing the amount of people saying its not happening as if they are trying to keep themselves grounded in case it turns out like moura or ronadinho again.
Yep - and they're the most annoying of the lot. We simply don't know either way, and yet some are very sure its not happening because the latest tweet from some vaguely bullshit source makes it sound as if there's been no contact.

RustyS

Or genuinely believe it won't happen. In the lack of any sort of relaible evidence, why would I believe that he's on his way here?

RustyS

Yep - and they're the most annoying of the lot. We simply don't know either way, and yet some are very sure its not happening because the latest tweet from some vaguely bullshit source makes it sound as if there's been no contact.
So if we don't know either way, we choose to believe the the player is coming here? That just means he is as likely/unlikely to join us as any other player. There's nothing to be excited about.

Most annoying of the lot..:rolleyes:

northbynorthwest

Or genuinely believe it won't happen. In the lack of any sort of relaible evidence, why would I believe that he's on his way here?
its psychology. Because of the thiago debacle and coupled with the fact that vidal is a top player, the mind is seeking to protect itself at all costs. So knowing fully well our poor history in the transfer window with regards big players, the mind is refusing to get inflated with anticipation and it does this by saying "Ah well he wont come here anyway."

By saying this you win either way regardless of whether he signs or not (the outcome). Either he doesnt come and you were right (in saying he wouldnt come) and you remind yourself that you said he wouldnt come. Or he does come and you were wrong, but glad to be wrong because we have signed a big player and you feel happy.

The mind is simple protecting itself because of our dark past with moura/thiago/fabregas and so on

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So if we don't know either way, we choose to believe the the player is coming here? That just means he is as likely/unlikely to join us as any other player. There's nothing to be excited about.

Most annoying of the lot..:rolleyes:
The facts are no one knows - which translates as those who are saying he's coming don't know anything, as do the gloom and doom artists who claim he's not. No one knows.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
I'd take you guys getting Vidal if we could get Pogba! Both class players who are just what we need.

Pogba---Matic---Fabregas

Hazard---Oscar---Willian

Costa

Hopefully that wouldnt be losing to Palace next season!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'd take you guys getting Vidal if we could get Pogba! Both class players who are just what we need.

Pogba---Matic---Fabregas

Hazard---Oscar---Willian

Costa

3 man defence?

And also, if that front 4 play like they did in the world cup, you may still be losing to Crystal Palace! :lol:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Pogba---Matic---Fabregas

Hazard---Oscar---Willian

Costa

Awful formation.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
But surely it's a safer position to think it's not going to happen, as there is no evidence yet.

Why would you start saying it probably will do?

NMF

This is so much like the Thiago saga.

No reliable source was covering it despite lots of Spanish papers, graham hunter saying it was a done deal ect......it was fuelled by De Gea writing Nos Vemos en Manchester on a ball and Thiago walking away from an interview smirking after being asked about our interest.

The Vidal rumours all started when Van Gaal said he tried to sign him at Bayern other than some Italian and Chile papers there's nothing to suggest we're going to sign him.

Manucho the boss

Or Hazard, or Kroos, or Fabregas, or Thiago or Benzema, I've learned long ago not to set expectations very high.

I'm not being defeatist, it's certainly worth trying for the top players but I deal in reality and the balance of probabilities tell me if he's moving at all it would prob be to Real Madrid. Spanish is his first language, he's from Santiago which has a climate similar to the Mediterranean. Barca just made a big signing, Real will want a responce, there's much talk of Khedira wanting to leave which would leave a gap for Vidal...

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Or Hazard, or Kroos, or Fabregas, or Thiago or Benzema, I've learned long ago not to set expectations very high.

I'm not being defeatist, it's certainly worth trying for the top players but I deal in reality and the balance of probabilities tell me if he's moving at all it would prob be to Real Madrid. Spanish is his first language, he's from Santiago which has a climate similar to the Mediterranean. Barca just made a big signing, Real will want a responce, there's much talk of Khedira wanting to leave which would leave a gap for Vidal...
Are you Buzz Light Years evil cousin - Buzz Killer?

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
3 man defence?

And also, if that front 4 play like they did in the world cup, you may still be losing to Crystal Palace! :lol:
True but then we could say the same for that of others ;). Just like its never good to buy cup stars its never good to ignore ones that dont do well.

RustyS

The facts are no one knows - which translates as those who are saying he's coming don't know anything, as do the gloom and doom artists who claim he's not. No one knows.
You're missing the point. If we don't know anything, then how is Vidal different than Henderson, Gundogan, Cabaye, Modric or any other midfielder? We don't know nothing about any of them. I don't see 113 page threads on every midfielder who we "know nothing" about when it comes about their likelihood of coming here.

I'm not a doom and gloom artist but If there is no real solid evidence to rely on, why would I pick some random player and believe that we will get him? I'll happily join in the muppetry but I need something to go on. :D

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Yes! Terry will play both defender and goalie in one game.

I was more displaying the depth of the midfield and attacking mid rather than putting down an exact formation though ;)
No worries man, i knew what you meant. Dont count your chickens about Pogba though..

Costa could turn out to be a dud - here's hopin anyway. Same as Sanchez too.. :D

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You're missing the point. If we don't know anything, then how is Vidal different than Henderson, Gundogan, Cabaye, Modric or any other midfielder? We don't know nothing about any of them. I don't see 113 page threads on every midfielder who we "know nothing" about when it comes about their likelihood of coming here.

I'm not a doom and gloom artist but If there is no real solid evidence to rely on, why would I pick some random player and believe that we will get him? I'll happily join in the muppetry but I need something to go on. :D
The discussion isn't about any random player, its about Vidal. People are free to speculate, but posters need to keep in mind they don't know anything, and that includes tweets suggesting Vidal is or ISN'T coming.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We were pretty quick to kill the Kroos and Fab rumours... we're not killing this one

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Are there any reliable sources? Are there anything which shows us that he wants to join United and give a feck about CL football. What about Bayern/Barca/Real/Chelsea/PSG. I still think that one is very unlikely. I think Di Maria is more likely, wouldn't be surprised if Real do again something strange to get James as new toy and he seems to like us and the other big teams have already good/great wingers.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Santiago's climate is nothing like the Mediterranean. And Madrid isn't on the Mediterranean anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.