Arturo Vidal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juan't Mata

I don't see success as guaranteed by signing a so called top player. In fact, there are no guarantees, as we learned with Veron, who at the time of his signing was one of the best in the business. What's more important than blindly believing that Vidal is the panacea, is for us to play as a galvanized team where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, which judging from the pre-season seems to be a work in progress. If Vidal fits into that, then great.
I like this post as it sums up how I feel about LVG in general. One of hissing strengths is putting a side together that looks underwhelming on paper but employ a system that makes the combined effect of those 11 payers stronger. 3412 is the perfect system for this ideal. You can slot in the likes of the much maligned Young or Kuyt and turn them into well functioning wingbacks. You can take

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
I like this post as it sums up how I feel about LVG in general. One of hissing strengths is putting a side together that looks underwhelming on paper but employ a system that makes the combined effect of those 11 payers stronger. 3412 is the perfect system for this ideal. You can slot in the likes of the much maligned Young or Kuyt and turn them into well functioning wingbacks. You can take
Are you dead at the keyboard?

Acole9

Outstanding
Has this thread gone past the number of pages of the Sneijder thread from a few years ago?

gaucho_10

Shocked that people suddenly have great confidence in our CM options after three meaningless friendlies that we played okay in.

Same here. I was watching our (RM) line up before yesterday's game and this is how it looked like from the other side's perspective:

• Carvajal as RM. That never happened before and it will never happen in a competitive game.
  • Modric as LM. Same thing.
  • Alonso and Illarra in the middle. I think we never won a game with those two on the pitch at the same time. It's the slowest and dullest midfield pairing I can imagine.
  • Arbeloa and Nacho as FB's. Those two don't go forward. It's not in the manual and you can't make them offensive.
  • Ramos, Alonso and Modric only started training few days ago. They were gassed after 15 minutes and Modric was nowhere to be seen in the last 30 minutes. Every time the ball went out of play he was in the "I need oxygen" pose.

Before people jump on me, I'm not underestimating your victory. You were a better team and there were some really nice combinations and moments of individual brilliance from United players, but you can not discard the context.

United looks much better. The confidence is coming back to the players and they look like they are focused and trying to earn their place in the team. I will put money on United finishing in top 4 (and Liverpool out of it), but United fans shouldn't feel confident with the central midfield options. You still lack quality and depth.

Cina

The newbie version of the Sneijder saga is slightly larger than this thread:

Crikey!

Considering the newbies is now so much smaller than it was and the mains is so much bigger as a result, it surely can't be too long before that's beaten?

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Considering we haven't even put a bid in yet, there's still plenty of time to beat that newbie Sneijder thread. I'm thinking 50 pages a day once a bid goes in, or something of any note finally happens.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Crikey!

Considering the newbies is now so much smaller than it was and the mains is so much bigger as a result, it surely can't be too long before that's beaten?
Not sure but I doubt it. That thread had plenty of spammers who were subsequently banned.

I was in the newbies at the time and that thread was the definition of hell.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Same here. I was watching our (RM) line up before yesterday's game and this is how it looked like from the other side's perspective:

• Carvajal as RM. That never happened before and it will never happen in a competitive game.
  • Alonso and Illarra in the middle. I think we never won a game with those two on the pitch at the same time. It's the slowest and dullest midfield pairing I can imagine.
  • Arbeloa and Nacho as FB's. Those two don't go forward. It's not in the manual and you can't make them offensive.
  • Ramos, Alonso and Modric only started training few days ago. They were gassed after 15 minutes and Modric was nowhere to be seen in the last 30 minutes. Every time the ball went out of play he was in the "I need oxygen" pose.

Before people jump on me, I'm not underestimating your victory. You were a better team and there were some really nice combinations and moments of individual brilliance from United players, but you can not discard the context.

United looks much better. The confidence is coming back to the players and they look like they are focused and trying to earn their place in the team. I will put money on United finishing in top 4 (and Liverpool out of it), but United fans shouldn't feel confident with the central midfield options. You still lack quality and depth.
In other words, Ancelotti made a mistake by playing an ill-suited 3-5-2 at a pathetic attempt to neutralize our formation? Btw why did Real splash 30 odd million on Illaramendi? Was he really that great at Sociedad or were Real mobbed... Isco looks like a proper player though, shame he has James to compete for a place in the first team...

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Sitting here this day last week and apparently this was the week something would happen regards Vidal.. A week later, nothing!

Next week ye?
This week 100%. We are back from tour which is when VG said he would start buying.

gaucho_10

In other words, Ancelotti made a mistake by playing an ill-suited 3-5-2 at a pathetic attempt to neutralize our formation?
Don't know what to think of it, but you won't see something similar to this in a competitive game. Never.

Btw why did Real splash 30 odd million on Illaramendi? Was he really that great at Sociedad or were Real mobbed...
He was good for them, but so far it looks like we were mobbed. This season is do or die for him.

Isco looks like a proper player though, shame he has James to compete for a place in the first team...
He does, but he's also a ball hog. The sooner he cut's it out, the more chance he will have to make it.

Utd7

When RVP was on tour with Arsenal, was the transfer completed while Arsenal was still touring or were they back in London?

Brightonian

Everyone was saying that if Vidal goes on tour today this is over. Did he go or not?
No, 'everyone' wasn't. Plenty of people were pointing out that loads of big transfers have happened when the player has already started pre-season in recent years. Including our own signings of Berbatov and RVP (Berba had actually started the season with Spurs already).

Sparky Rhiwabon

No, 'everyone' wasn't. Plenty of people were pointing out that loads of big transfers have happened when the player has already started pre-season in recent years. Including our own signings of Berbatov and RVP (Berba had actually started the season with Spurs already).
I'll take that as a 'yes' then :-(

Brightonian

I'll take that as a 'yes' then :-(
:lol: You people are a circus sometimes.

Yes, he did. As anyone with a brain between their ears knew he would. Why would Juve leave a key player behind? If they don't want to sell him (which they obviously don't), there's no reason for them not to play him.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
:lol: You people are a circus sometimes.

Yes, he did. As anyone with a brain between their ears knew he would. Why would Juve leave a key player behind? If they don't want to sell him (which they obviously don't), there's no reason for them not to play him.
Actually it seems like he hasn't gone with them on tour.... yet. See that tweet link above your post.

He's probably delayed because of fitness reasons though, as he's not long back from holidays.

Brightonian

Actually it seems like he hasn't gone with them on tour.... yet. See that tweet link above your post.

He's probably delayed because of fitness reasons though, as he's not long back from holidays.
Ah ok, fair enough. Either way I don't think him going or not going was ever going to have anything to do with whether or not we're trying to buy him. Potentially departing players are only left out of games/tours when their club wants to sell them, and therefore can't risk them picking up an injury.

Oneunited26

It was a win united could never get the full plaudits, if united lost 3 1 to Madrid, we all would have said we need signings fast, united beat madrid 3 1, Madrid had players missing. It is always the case of, how do you look at the glass? half empty? or half full?

One thing everyone agrees on? united need another CM. Our options of? herrera carrick fletcher anderson fellaini cleverly are still pretty dire, one injury to herrera we have a problem. One top class CM signing, the whole game changes in the top 4, and you have a united midfield that will dominate allot of games

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Ah ok, fair enough. Either way I don't think him going or not going was ever going to have anything to do with whether or not we're trying to buy him. Potentially departing players are only left out of games/tours when their club wants to sell them, and therefore can't risk them picking up an injury.
Yea, I'm with you there. Unless Vidal outright refuses to go, or a sale has already been agreed, he was bound to go on tour regardless. It doesn't mean he can't still move this window.

SammyUnited_83

But we didn't know about that at the time. Wenger admitted it afterwards. As for the contract, Vidal can hardly reject one when they're not offering him a new one. He only got a new one six months ago.
Well rejecting a contract pretty much tells you want you need, Fergie said as much.

I'm just saying it's a totally different situation so I get a bit confused why people compare RvP on Tour with Arsenal and Vidal with Juve.

As pointed out Vidal signed a contract 6 months ago, so Juve are in charge and not the player.

Brightonian

Well rejecting a contract pretty much tells you want you need, Fergie said as much.

I'm just saying it's a totally different situation so I get a bit confused why people compare RvP on Tour with Arsenal and Vidal with Juve.

As pointed out Vidal signed a contract 6 months ago, so Juve are in charge and not the player.
It's different in some ways, yes, but it's still relevant as one of many, many examples of players who have moved despite starting pre-season with their existing clubs. Proving that such a thing is perfectly possible.

Ralph1386

Earlier in this thread, I also mentioned Nasri who flew to Asia with Arsenal only to sign for City on deadline day.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
This is how the Juventus midfield department (without Vidal) gonna look:

Asamoah, Pogba, Pirlo, Pereyra, Marchisio, Marrone, Romulo + close to 50M quid, cash.

Looks pretty much sorted out. right?

Vidal is a game changer, they won't be able to replace him (they could try get the Pirlo replacement though...) and Allegri won't be happy, but Juventus will not reject the offer we are going to make. Vidal wants us and we want him. Terms had been agreed already.

The offer has to be submitted and Juventus has to accept it. Why is taking this long? could be for many reasons... but this dealio, looks more done than anything else.

Believe

Y2A

Do people honestly believe LVG will not buy because of the performance on the pre season tour? I think and hope not!:nervous:

However, if we sign it may not neccessarily be Vidal. If wanted him we would have made a bid already.

Status
Not open for further replies.