As Rugby refuses to take the knee, is it time the Premier League stopped too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Nope, the world has to be completely black and white Frosty, I saw Lewis Hamilton once drink from a plastic bottle so he’s clearly a huge hypocrite and that means climate change isn’t even a real thing. Those are the facts.
I hear Greta's shoes are only made from 99% recyclable material, the massive phony.

BarstoolProphet

Anything good isnt perfect so there is no point right?
Indeed. You can't do anything good if your back isn't entirely clean. I mean, why are you posting on an Internet forum saying child workers should be stopped when you're typing on an item maybe produced at a factory by child workers? You need to boycott laptops, smartphones and ipads or it shows that you're a hypocrite!

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
I would argue the major problem with the knee taking is that any gesture loses most of its impact/meaning if it is mindlessly repeated ad infinitum.

It just seems kind of insincere at this point. Yes, they kneel every week, but how many actually do more than that? Especially the white guys. It's an easy way out of doing some actual work. "I can't be a racist, I kneel before every game for a few seconds!"

They are in a somewhat difficult position to stand up for anything though, seeing how most are sponsored by a shoemaker that employs little kids, or have owners that hold modern day slaves, or big oil barons, etc

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don’t think anyone expected footballers taking the knee to ‘solve racism’, the entire purpose is simply to raise awareness to the cause, simple as that, and it’s clearly working if OP is going to the effort to get all upset and make a thread about it.
True

Taking the knee sends out a good message and I hope it continues, if for no other reason than to seriously wind up all these right wing knuckle draggers! It’s hilarious how angry the gesture makes those morons.
Also true... its actually incredible that anyone can get so angry over something that lasts 2 seconds (insert sex joke here) and that doesn't impact them in anyway.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Another point to consider since we are discussing Lewis Hamilton.

Sebastian Vettel campaigns agains climate change: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...tian-vettel-driving-f1-climate-emergency-plan

Sebastian Vettel is PERSONALLY SPONSORED by car manufacturer Infiniti and an oil company - Shell: https://www.essentiallysports.com/tag/sebastian-vettel/

Sebastian Vettel owns a tonne of cars and bikes which, unlike Lewis Hamilton, he still drives: https://www.essentiallysports.com/a...-owned-by-ferrari-f1-driver-sebastian-vettel/

Lewis Hamilton has done far, far more to reduce his carbon footprint than any other F1 driver and is leading by example.

Why are we focusing on Lewis Hamilton?
Maybe cos he’s richer, OP seems to have a real issue with people’s net worth. Seb is a relative pauper compared to Lewis.

Surely it can’t be anything else..... :wenger:

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Seems to annoy you a lot for something that isn't doing anything.

Again, easy for you to claim it is useless meanwhile others say much differently.
Doesn't annoy me that much. It's 3 seconds long. I just find it pointless, and a tad ridiculous. Symbolism without anything to back it up is meaningless.
What does the kneeling mean to you and your friends? Genuine question.

BarstoolProphet

Doesn't annoy me that much. It's 3 seconds long. I just find it pointless, and a tad ridiculous. Symbolism without anything to back it up is meaningless.
Pointless. Ridiculous. Meaningless. Seems like it does indeed annoy you alot.

SuperiorXI

It's useless. What has it achieved? Nothing? What has the Premier League done to help combat abuse? Nothing. What have the social media people done to change things? Nothing.
What does it represent? No one knows at this point.

They can keep doing it, doesn't mean anything really.

I am a utilitarian.
Of course it has achieved something, at the very least it has gotten a conversation going.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Doesn't annoy me that much. It's 3 seconds long. I just find it pointless, and a tad ridiculous.
You think an attempt to raise awareness of an issue and maintain an important national conversation is worthy of ridicule?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Personally I can’t believe that OP is trying to cancel the knee, cancel culture gone wild!

Siorac

No shit.

However currently black lives are treated like they do not matter as much as anyone else. Hence BLM. I don't know how you missed this when everyone had to have this explained to them last June.
And 'all lives matter' is just a pointless statement in this context, even if you sincerely believe it.

It's the equivalent of going up to a breast cancer foundation and shouting that all cancers matter.

Stacks

Taking the knee isn’t about stopping poor white people’s lives improving. It’s also not just about what’s happening in America, or, in my opinion, about BLM as a group.

It may just be a small gesture but it’s something a lot of people see and start to talk about. Anyone who has an issue with that likely has deeper issues. The pushback is very odd, if unsurprising.
What is it actually about? everytime I watch a game I see black lives matter flash on the screen. I have never seen the EPL jump on so much. I never saw this much with LGBT, Female empowerment, Uighars etc. I just don't understand why they have clinged to "this" cause so tough in isolation when we have KickItOut. My housemate works for the EPL and he thinks they jumped on board not fully knowing what BLM is/was and now are stuck with it as they fully committed. We had "kick it out" as our antiracism and discrimination campaign but then switched because BLM was all over the news. I doubt any of them even know what changes if any are happening in America and lets not pretend, this was sparked by and started in America

NotThatSoph

Who was the poster on here who pretended to be black in order to make their point seem more valid? Did that happen or is my lockdown addled brain miss-remembering?
I remember an incident many years ago. It was in one of the Glazer threads, and may or may not have involved something about a hotel.

Zlatattack

Taking a knee is a symbolic gesture that should be continued for as long as people want to, without pressure from anyone else.

Symbolic gestures will only get us so far though. Racism is entrenched in society, ask people of colour their experiences. A lot of Pakistani men are taxi drivers - ask them how much racism they experience during their working week after the great British public have had a few.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What is it actually about? everytime I watch a game I see black lives matter flash on the screen. I have never seen the EPL jump on so much. I never saw this much with LGBT, Female empowerment, Uighars etc. I just don't understand why they have clinged to "this" cause so tough in isolation. My housemate works for the EPL and he thinks they jumped on board not fully knowing what BLM is/was and now are stuck with it as they fully committed. We had "kick it out" as our antiracism and discrimination campaign but then switched because BLM was all over the news. I doubt any of them even know what changes if any are happening in America and lets not pretend, this was sparked by and started in America
Ah the old what about these other causes approach. A classic, let's see if it pays off.

Berbasbullet

What is it actually about? everytime I watch a game I see black lives matter flash on the screen. I have never seen the EPL jump on so much. I never saw this much with LGBT, Female empowerment, Uighars etc. I just don't understand why they have clinged to "this" cause so tough in isolation. My housemate works for the EPL and he thinks they jumped on board not fully knowing what BLM is/was and now are stuck with it as they fully committed. We had "kick it out" as our antiracism and discrimination campaign but then switched because BLM was all over the news. I doubt any of them even know what changes if any are happening in America and lets not pretend, this was sparked by and started in America
Is it even BLM anymore? I thought it was now the premier leagues own ‘no room for racism’ now, or something similar. I don’t remember seeing “black lives matter” flash up for a long time, but I’ll look out for it.

I might be wrong though.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Now that is just nonsense.

White people were used for slavery, the Irish were starved in their own country by the British.

They are countless events in history where white people were oppressed.
Not because they were white though. They were oppressed for other reasons and the colour of their skin was incidental. Black people have been and continue to be marginalised for nothing other than the fact they have dark skin.

SuperiorXI

Is it even BLM anymore? I thought it was now the premier leagues own ‘no room for racism’ now, or something similar.
They distanced themselves from the group after all the shite on social media but I noticed recently they still use the phrase, just not associating with the organisation.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
At the very least these BLM supporting gestures reveal the people who get triggered out of their mind by it for what they really are.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
To me and my friends personally? Not much but I fully support it nonetheless. It has sparked conversations with me and my friends and the past summer we shared different books we were reading about the subject. It's helped me learn truly how privileged I have been in life and I've learned a lot from listening to others. I also know more about other cultures and what people of different races experience now and I think that's a fantastic thing.

Doing that has also given me more confidence to confront others when I see it occur in my life, as I have a lot of knowledge to fall back on and justify the need to say/do something.

Stacks

Ah the old what about these other causes approach. A classic, let's see if it pays off.
Its true. I wonder what makes the EPL and companies feel sooo strongly about this particular cause. Personally I think like Basketball and American Football, we have high black representation and many are the best players so they have to be seen as doing something or being supportive. I think its commercial and not "to fight racism". how much money and effort is the EPL putting into the black community to help tackle social and economic issues? The NFL? The NBA? if they are, then fine. But it seems gimmicky to me. Who is actually putting their money where their mouths are at ground level?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If you are bothered about players taking the knee, turn the station. No one is forcing you too watch.

Berbasbullet

Literally saw it within the last week!
I’m not convinced you have, on the TV coverage anyway, but you might be right.

I do know that they dropped the BLM badge on the shirts and changed it to “no room for racism”

This article here seems to say they dropped BLM altogether and stopped mentioning it since the start of this season.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....ves-matter-badge-from-shirts-for-own-campaign

Anyway, my sidetracking is slightly irrelevant :lol:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I fail to see how a Millionaire footballer taking the knee will stop Racism?

The only way you will ever stop online Trolls is by identifying online trolls and making arrests. I am also not won over that it is racism who direct online racism, what's to say it isn't rival fans trying to stir up trouble and making a footballer uncomfortable at their club.

Racism is a much bigger problem because of being anonymous online, unless we are all happy to self identify to use the internet you will never stop it, no matter how many knees people take.
This. Unfortunately its really hard to do.

Stacks

I’m not convinced you have, on the TV coverage anyway, but you might be right.

I do know that they dropped the BLM badge on the shirts and changed it to “no room for racism”

This article here seems to say they dropped BLM altogether and stopped mentioning it since the start of this season.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....ves-matter-badge-from-shirts-for-own-campaign

Anyway, my sidetracking is slightly irrelevant :lol:
maybe it was my illegal stream!

EDIT: I do not use illegal streams. thanks

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If you are bothered about players taking the knee, turn the station. No one is forcing you too watch.
The people who complain about it are always louder about that than any actual racism. Funny huh.

Sylar

I always see people don't mind protests or similar as long as it doesn't inconvenience them or make them feel awkward

This thread is a disaster from reading Zex posts unless the aim is to have as many people quoting you as possible

BarstoolProphet

Its true. I wonder what makes the EPL and companies feel sooo strongly about this particular cause. Personally I think like Basketball and American Football, we have high black representation and many are the best players so they have to be seen as doing something or being supportive. I think its commercial and not "to fight racism". how much money and effort is the EPL putting into the black community to help tackle social and economic issues? The NFL? The NBA? if they are, then fine. But it seems gimmicky to me. Who is actually putting their money where their mouths are at ground level?
It's not true, it's once again deflecting the attention from the issue itself. "That you're against sexual harassment at work is good and all, but what about the kids in Africa? Why aren't you caring about them?"

Status
Not open for further replies.