Ashes I - 2013 - In England

NinjaFletch

Yeah I did - that 200 we bowled some of the rankest garbage at him. :lol: That's probably why I think that way. I probably do underrate him but he had a pretty poor series, we obviously had a plan of bowling short of a length and get him driving where he did not look strong at all..

Fair enough, but the guys gone around the world and scored runs everywhere. He's scored centuries against every test playing nation and averages over 40 against everyone other than Pakistan and New Zealand. The only country he's not scored a century in was the UAE and he averages over 60 in arguably the two hardest tours for an English batsman, India and Australia. I think it's a little disingenuous to him to suggest he's as limited as you did earlier, the weight of runs on every single variety of track argues otherwise.

This year has (so far) actually seen him score the least runs at a lowest average in his entire England career, which is probably why you've not seen much of him, he's been in poor nick.

It's the sort of season that will normally see Cook go away and work on his technique and game with Graham Gooch and then come back a better player for it, I really wouldn't be surprised to see him leading run scorer in the winter.

Also, whilst looking at those stats it appears Cook has a higher average if he loses the toss than if he wins it, bizarre.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
This has been a hilarious last two-three pages.

If England hadn't been so pathetic in terms of their over-rate in the first innings or have been scoring at 2 per over in the first half of their first innings then maybe they'd have gotten more time and they'd have won the match.

Some credit has to be given to Clarke for declaring early and trying to win, England wouldn't have done that(nor would any other team I think).

Also some poster said that people are jealous of English cricket team, there's nothing to be jealous about them. The only team worth being jealous of right now is the Saffers test team.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
To be fair, Aussies could have just bowled down the leg and forced a draw when it seemed they were losing, however they kept trying to take wickets. Credit to Clarke for giving the paying public some much needed entertainment.

This series wasn't as close as the 3-0 series win suggests, or it's made out in the media.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
To be fair, Aussies could have just bowled down the leg and forced a draw when it seemed they were losing, however they kept trying to take wickets. Credit to Clarke for giving the paying public some much needed entertainment.

This series wasn't as close as the 3-0 series win suggests, or it's made out in the media.
They did bowl down the leg for a while, the umpires put a stop to it.

Sir A1ex

Pietersen went with sixty to get with ten overs left.

Are people here complete idiots or what? Where was the risk in continuing the chase? England could've tried to smash everything. They weren't going to lose seven wickets in sixty balls.
You're a joke mate. What exactly should England have done to avoid the horror of being tagged "plodders" by Zing off the internet?

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
This has been a hilarious last two-three pages.

If England hadn't been so pathetic in terms of their over-rate in the first innings or have been scoring at 2 per over in the first half of their first innings then maybe they'd have gotten more time and they'd have won the match.

Some credit has to be given to Clarke for declaring early and trying to win, England wouldn't have done that(nor would any other team I think).

Also some poster said that people are jealous of English cricket team, there's nothing to be jealous about them. The only team worth being jealous of right now is the Saffers test team.

The ICC need to sort out 3 things for me: Over-rates, light laws and the runner law. I think there need to be greater penalties for not bowling the overs within a certain time and more logic is needed on the light laws and runner laws.

To be honest the Clarke decision was one of a captain desperate to find a way to win.

I think the jealousy comment was aimed more at the Aussies than anything. I'm happy with this England team, as I've said they're methodical and not adventurous but they get the job done and growing up on the sides of the early 00's that will do me just fine.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
The ICC need to sort out 3 things for me: Over-rates, light laws and the runner law. I think there need to be greater penalties for not bowling the overs within a certain time and more logic is needed on the light laws and runner laws.

To be honest the Clarke decision was one of a captain desperate to find a way to win.

I think the jealousy comment was aimed more at the Aussies than anything. I'm happy with this England team, as I've said they're methodical and not adventurous but they get the job done and growing up on the sides of the early 00's that will do me just fine.
Trott's my favourite batter for that reason, by and large he gets himself in and builds a wall, then the runs come by themselves. The thing is, as they proved in that last innings, they have the capacity to be adventurous if they want to as well.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I'm happy with this England team, as I've said they're methodical and not adventurous but they get the job done and growing up on the sides of the early 00's that will do me just fine.

Yep, just safe cricket. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Trott's my favourite batter for that reason, by and large he gets himself in and builds a wall, then the runs come by themselves.
Yeesh. I prefer to watch players who can play to all parts, not just step across and noodle everything on the onside from on or outside off stump. But each to their own. :lol:.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Yeesh. I prefer to watch players who can play to all parts, not just step across and noodle everything on the onside from on or outside off stump. But each to their own. :lol:.
Results matter. Aesthetics don't.

DOTA

I am a batsman.. :D So give me Ian Bell any day.

Not a bell end.
:lol:

That would explain it. I used to bowl spin. Hence my slightly overprotective nature of young Kerrigan!

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
That would explain it. I used to bowl spin. Hence my slightly overprotective nature of young Kerrigan!
I bowl spin, which is probably why I laughed at the fruit he served up.. :lol:.

edit: If any mods venture here can we add '| England win in England 3-0 | Australia tour buildup |' to the title? Or something of the like? Not really any point making a new thread.

DOTA

I bowl spin, which is probably why I laughed at the fruit he served up.. :lol:.
He'd played no international cricket before and the seamers had given him set batsmen to bowl to and his hamster had died, that morning, possibly...

NinjaFletch

Anyone else pretty happy with the ODI squad that everyone is mouthing off about? The batsman at least that is.

Carberry deserves his place, and Ballance is well due a chance.

A Carberry/Pietersen opening combo with Trott and Root at 3 and 4 could work well. Wright would be unlucky not to come in higher up, but him at 5, Morgan at 6 and Buttler at 7 is tasty, with Wrigt/Root/Carberry so share the fifth bowlers spot.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Bopara will probably play at 5 I'd imagine with Finn, Rankin, Tredwell and possibly Overton as the frontline bowlers.

Hope Carberry stakes his place, ideally we would have him open with Bell and leave Cook to focus on the tests alone.

I would have played Bairstow in this as well. Think he may benefit more from facing the Aussie pace bowlers than going back into county cricket.

NinjaFletch

Bopara will probably play at 5 I'd imagine with Finn, Rankin, Tredwell and possibly Overton as the frontline bowlers.

Hope Carberry stakes his place, ideally we would have him open with Bell and leave Cook to focus on the tests alone.

I would have played Bairstow in this as well. Think he may benefit more from facing the Aussie pace bowlers than going back into county cricket.
Bopara has a side injury and hasn't been bowling; I don't know if it will be healed in time, but if it isn't I'd pick Wright over him. That's the reasoning I have for him playing, at any rate.

FlawlessThaw

Bopara has a side injury and hasn't been bowling; I don't know if it will be healed in time, but if it isn't I'd pick Wright over him. That's the reasoning I have for him playing, at any rate.
Fair point. I would have assumed he would have recovered by now but have realised he hasn't been bowling at all for Essex of late. Guess he is just in for cover for the top/middle order. Guess it will be either Wright or Stokes for that 5th bowler spot.

NinjaFletch

Fair point. I would have assumed he would have recovered by now but have realised he hasn't been bowling at all for Essex of late. Guess he is just in for cover for the top/middle order. Guess it will be either Wright or Stokes for that 5th bowler spot.
Yeah, Essex have a ton of bowlers though in most formats so he always has competition for overs from Topley, Tait/Mills (format dependent), Masters, Phillips, Napier, Smith and Ten Doeschate so it could simply be a case that he's ok just not bowling brilliantly.

Essex used all 7 of them in their last 40 over game, and even Shah can be useful. (Although Bopara did smash 130 off of 102 balls)

mufcwarm92

Who would people bring as the reserve batsman in Aus? I'd take one of Taylor and Ballance, with Bairstow as the reserve keeper. Carberry/Compton would probably be decent shouts too if we're prepared to move Root back to 6.

TheReligion

Abusive
I like Shane Warne but he's starting to get on my nerves with his constant moaning about England. Just wind it in mate as you're looking rather bitter more than anything else.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
yep they pissed on the outfield, no doubt copying Panesar.

"I think the call of nature might have come once or twice but it was nothing untoward. It was midnight, a private celebration in the middle of the pitch and the ground was dark."

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Warne wasn't this bitter in 2009 when we won. The difference now is that his great mate Michael Clarke is captain and he wants to defend him at every turn.

FlawlessThaw

The Clarke backers have to have something to say that hides the fact that Clarke has lost 7 of his last 9 test matches and that they haven't won a single international match since the Aussie summer.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Why do all English sports stars have to apologise for every little fecking thing. This shit with the cricketers is another example of this wanky culture. Media fuelled fake outrage leading to fake insincere apology.

DOTA

I think an apology is called for if you urinate on a cricket team's pitch.

zing

Zingle balls
I think it's insanely disrespectful to the local team's fans.

Pissing on a cricket pitch. They're cricketers ffs.

FlawlessThaw

Doubt they are the first players to piss on the pitch. Also Pietersen is a local player so I don't really think the Surrey CCC fans are that fussed.

England players pissed on a pitch. Got caught and apologised. Nothing story other than for the Aussie press and Warne to have something else that is an apparent weakness.

Pissing. They're humans ffs.