Ashley Young - Captain of Manchester United

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Should leave the fecking club for its betterment. Such a poor player captaining us. There are better players playing for bottom half of the table clubs.

ayushreddevil9

The fact that Ole approved extensions for Jones and Young is already giving me reservations on his appointment. If I see Young in our starting line up next season I'm starting the Ole out thread
I agree to some extent. Why the feck can nobody be ruthless enough at this club? Jose persisted with your client, Young, Valencia, Rojo, Darmian even though he had like 5 windows to ship them off and replace them.

Now Ole decides that he like Young and Jones. It's the making of their own downfall. These feckers will keep earning money and do feck all for the club but the managers will lose their jobs for trusting them. Can nobody at this club see that these players were regular failures under Moyes, LvG and Jose?

I really dislike Pep when it comes to how he throws money at everything but he doesn't mess around does he? He shipped off 3 fullbacks when he knew none of them were good enough. All 3 of them were still better than Ashley fecking Young. Ruthlessness doesn't come by easily apparently.

ayushreddevil9

He knows he will fade into obscurity if he goes. Gary Neville did what was right for the club he loves.
Exactly. If us the fans know this then why anybody from the transfer committee is immune to such below mediocrity standards?

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I still can't wrap my head around Young being given the captaincy, being our starting RB for 2 seasons and on top of all that being given an extension. All this while being average or below average. It boggles the mind.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There is no club more prolific than us at keeping avarage players.
Smalling - 9 years
Jones - 8 years
Rojo - 5 years.
Young - 8 years.
There's a disease at this club. And I'm sick of it.

Smalling - 9 years
Jones - 8 years
Rojo - 5 years.
Young - 8 years.
Well said - you can add Valencia to that list too

fellaini's barber

I agree to some extent. Why the feck can nobody be ruthless enough at this club? Jose persisted with your client, Young, Valencia, Rojo, Darmian even though he had like 5 windows to ship them off and replace them.

Now Ole decides that he like Young and Jones. It's the making of their own downfall. These feckers will keep earning money and do feck all for the club but the managers will lose their jobs for trusting them. Can nobody at this club see that these players were regular failures under Moyes, LvG and Jose?

I really dislike Pep when it comes to how he throws money at everything but he doesn't mess around does he? He shipped off 3 fullbacks when he knew none of them were good enough. All 3 of them were still better than Ashley fecking Young. Ruthlessness doesn't come by easily apparently.
Everytime the camera pans out to our bench I see Rojo, always so happy, in total euphoria and bliss, drives me fecking nuts. Like we know we're never gonna play some of these guys but we just hold on to them as pets or for team spirit or something

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The problem i have with him is a captain is meant to led by example some example he sets at times he was shocking yesterday made only 52% pass completion.
Yesterday for me was a Neville vs Stoke level of bad, but he's like that whenever we play anyone decent.

But it says a lot about the rest of the team that our management feel he should be captain and I can't think of a convincing argument to say they are wrong

Ace of Spades

Smalling - 9 years
Jones - 8 years
Rojo - 5 years.
Young - 8 years.
Yeah, too many players that should not be here. It does not help that recruitment has been poor as well. We also have Darmian, Bailly, Matic, Fred, Sanchez, Mata to add to that list. There is so much dross, that we can't clear them in one window. Also, the players that we need to keep are running out of contract, and we may need to replace them as well.

Hopefully we see some of this lot start getting shipped out.

Exactly. If us the fans know this then why anybody from the transfer committee is immune to such below mediocrity standards?
I understood it at the start of the season, we had nobody else to play there. But now we have Dalot. Yes he's young and inexperienced but he's looked confident every time he has played and i refuse to believe he could possibly be any worse than Ashley Young.

LeftyBlaster

Holy donkey dicks I have had it with this guy. Aimless balls downrange in Rom's general direction. Played Jota onside for the first goal. Has been well below par for the last few months now. Please get rid of.

Mugiwarared71

Contract for you Phill Jones and here is a contract for you Ashley young .. Oh Ander... lets run your contact down but thanks for your efforts though.

I have wanted Young out about 6 years ago and professional coaches still do not understand he is simply not good enough at this level take Dalot any day of the week ,for goodness sake surely one of the young boys can come in and not give the ball away at every given opportunity .

Ekeke

He knows he will fade into obscurity if he goes. Gary Neville did what was right for the club he loves.
I dont think its really on Young though. With Neville he came through the club and has more attachment. Young isnt doing anything his manager isnt allowing him to do.

Ole after the game is talking about how he did well going forward...

Mourinho was talking up his ability to play many more years...

He needs to be managed better. Just like Valencia needed to be managed better. Giving these guys over 100k a week at 30+ while their performances are poor and then after each match talking them up, it isnt good enough from the management.

oLeSoLsKjAeR20

I went to bed in the worst mood ever last night. A lot of this has been said in this thread already but I need to rant. We are allowing City and Liverpool to make giant strides ahead of us by keeping faith in these utterly useless excuses for footballers. Not only have we allowed them to cling on to their United careers so far but we are now extending their contracts even whilst watching our two biggest rivals fight it out for the title while we fight it out for fourth place (which we aren't getting now either). Young, Smalling, Jones, Darmian mustn't be able to believe their luck, earning thousands upon thousands per week for producing absolute dross and getting away with it at the world's biggest football club. Have the decision makers at the club not been watching them all these years? Where is the cut-throat attitude that it takes to be successful? This is criminal. I feel like for the last 3 or 4 summers I've been waiting for these morons to be cut loose and nothing has happened. I'm going to the Barca game next week and can't even get excited about it. Those clowns are going to be ripped to shreds. We can completely forget about getting to the semis. The best we can hope for is to not finish the overall tie losing by a cricket score. Ole has some serious work to do in the summer

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I went to bed in the worst mood ever last night. A lot of this has been said in this thread already but I need to rant. We are allowing City and Liverpool to make giant strides ahead of us by keeping faith in these utterly useless excuses for footballers. Not only have we allowed them to cling on to their United careers so far but we are now extending their contracts even whilst watching our two biggest rivals fight it out for the title while we fight it out for fourth place (which we aren't getting now either). Young, Smalling, Jones, Darmian mustn't be able to believe their luck, earning thousands upon thousands per week for producing absolute dross and getting away with it at the world's biggest football club. Have the decision makers at the club not been watching them all these years? Where is the cut-throat attitude that it takes to be successful? This is criminal. I feel like for the last 3 or 4 summers I've been waiting for these morons to be cut loose and nothing has happened. I'm going to the Barca game next week and can't even get excited about it. Those clowns are going to be ripped to shreds. We can completely forget about getting to the semis. The best we can hope for is to not finish the overall tie losing by a cricket score. Ole has some serious work to do in the summer
You mention Darmian, but he has been trying to leave for ages, but we have not let him. Unlike the others you mentioned who just get offered more and more contracts.

oLeSoLsKjAeR20

That's exactly what I mean though! We can't even get rid of the rubbish that wants out never mind the rubbish that doesn't!

AndyJ1985

I dont think its really on Young though. With Neville he came through the club and has more attachment. Young isnt doing anything his manager isnt allowing him to do.

Ole after the game is talking about how he did well going forward...

Mourinho was talking up his ability to play many more years...

He needs to be managed better. Just like Valencia needed to be managed better. Giving these guys over 100k a week at 30+ while their performances are poor and then after each match talking them up, it isnt good enough from the management.
We always seem to have managers who have a blind spot for certain players who the rest of us can see are clearly not good enough. It's very frustrating

Roykeaneismagic

Its ludicrous that Ashley Young is the captain of this football club, he may of been a good servant for us but his best days are clearly behind him and should be sold in the summer, not offered a fecking new contract. How can we ever rebuild properly if we keep handing out contracts to average 30+ yr old players.

RedDevil5

If this guy is playing any meaningful games for us next season, barring a major injury crisis, then we can kiss top four goodbye immediately.

Fridge chutney

Don't know why Ashley Young gets so much hate. He loves the club.

He is 34 and we shouldn't be relying on him as our full-time RB. He started the season well but tapered off.

joedirt87

i thought he was better as a LB, defensively and going forward. Also expected Dalot to have been more involved as a fullback by this point.

wolvored

The plusses of ashley Young
He played under Fergie
Hes English, for the quota
errr thats it.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think he's pretty much finished but I find some comments here weird. He gave his all, at least, and had some periods of good form for us over the years, even benching our record signing at the time. Not the smartest player though and it's a bit concerning that he's our captain now — I guess as one of the most senior members of the squad, but still.

Shocking performance and awful season though, that I won't argue with.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Antonio Valencia and Ashley Young as captains for Manchester United. Baffling.
If we ever do win the league in the next few years and become a good team, we will look back at this statement and ask if this statement is true or false.
Like you said - baffling.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Hopefully he played his last game for us. Young wearing arm band (for that matter most players in our squad) shows how far we have fallen.
He'll be back as soon as he is able and he'll wear the captain's armband.
The likes of Carrick and McKenna were present when Valencia and Young were captain (under Jose) and I have no doubt that they will continue to keep pushing the likes of Young, for captain, regardless of who the manager is.

I find it bizarre that most fans know that the likes of Young, Valencia, Jones, etc are not good enough. Yet the managers can't see this, despite these managers being better at judging players.

SungSam7

I really could not care less about this “great servant” shtick that people like to toss out to defend average players (most notably Valencia and young these days). They aren’t good enough now, and that’s all that matters. I have no time for how many years they’ve been here or that they never complained or fired their agents or any of that nonsense. Where it matters the most they aren’t good enough.
"good servant" nonsense should be rewarded to those who clearly turned down good offers from other clubs because their love for their current club was stronger. Nobody even came for Young to even warrant this, he knew he was lucky to have the United role in the first place.
If he was world class at one stage and did turn down offers, my good servant package would be to pay them a much lower wage while they did coaching badges or whatever. Not play them consistently even though the said person is crap.

Cloud7

"good servant" nonsense should be rewarded to those who clearly turned down good offers from other clubs because their love for their current club was stronger. Nobody even came for Young to even warrant this, he knew he was lucky to have the United role in the first place.
If he was world class at one stage and did turn down offers, my good servant package would be to pay them a much lower wage while they did coaching badges or whatever. Not play them consistently even though the said person is crap.
Yeah I mentioned this in another thread. Players like Giggs, Scholes, Rio etc who every club in Europe would have been after, they were good servants to the club.

Average players who had no right being here in the first place, but stuck around because they knew they would never get anything at this level again, like Young, Felliani etc. those are not great servants to the club.

And before anyone chimes in with “Oh so what about O Shea, Park, Wes Brown, were they not good servants?” They were all very good players in their own right, and gave us much more than the likes of Young have.

I think he's pretty much finished but I find some comments here weird. He gave his all, at least, and had some periods of good form for us over the years, even benching our record signing at the time. Not the smartest player though and it's a bit concerning that he's our captain now — I guess as one of the most senior members of the squad, but still.

Shocking performance and awful season though, that I won't argue with.
You've lost me here? Do you mean Di Maria? Bit of a stretch if so...he was benched because he decided he didnt want to be here.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeah I mentioned this in another thread. Players like Giggs, Scholes, Rio etc who every club in Europe would have been after, they were good servants to the club.

Average players who had no right being here in the first place, but stuck around because they knew they would never get anything at this level again, like Young, Felliani etc. those are not great servants to the club.

And before anyone chimes in with “Oh so what about O Shea, Park, Wes Brown, were they not good servants?” They were all very good players in their own right, and gave us much more than the likes of Young have.
Does he "get United" though? That's the most important question.

SungSam7

Does he "get United" though? That's the most important question.
Clearly not though, otherwise we wouldn't be getting such crap football out of him, hoofing the ball to Lukaku, the same guy who couldn't pick an apple from a tree let alone a ball in the air....

Ed Woodward is the problem here, he is the go between the owners and the manager. He goes to most matches surely? I've seen him sitting in the crowd plenty of times on tv, he must be on his phone for most of the game as WUM in the caf to say he actually gave Jones and Young new contracts.

Rajma

I guess at this point Ole needs to answer few fair questions behind his reasoning to start him.

IrishRedDevil

I hate him so much. He is making me hate watching United.

How can Ashley Dung not only be starting for Manchester United, but be our Captain.

:(

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
For all his “pashun” act, he’s as intimidating as a baby kitten and an even worse player.

AndyJ1985

We have a poor squad after years of bad management, fair enough, I can get over that. But consistently starting Young AND making him captain? Nah, that's too far. It's sickening to see our great club reduced to having such a piss poor player lead this team.