Ashley Young to Inter Milan | Official

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denis79

Why did we give him a new contract last season if we are willing to let go him next season by Jan while our depth in fullbacks is totally fecked?

I gave up trying to understand anything done by our hopeless club.
It's all part of the great plan. Contract was extended so our younger players could soak up his experience on and off the field, now the younglings are fully fledged superstars and we don't need him anymore. The contract renewal also gave our scouting system time to gather 800+ targets. We just have to make sure one of them is the type of player we need a capable to handle the very complicated and distinguished tactics we use, until we sort those 800 targets a 12 year old academy player will fill the spot. You see? All according to the great machine devised by our CEO.

MrPooni

Would be a good move for him at this stage of his career. Wouldn’t be surprised if they offered him a 2+1 year deal. He’s been a really good servant to this club, top bloke and top professional and he still has the odd match where he’s on top of his game but they are fewer and further between. Best of luck to him.
Couldn't have put it better myself. While I admit he can be frustrating at times, he's done nothing to deserve the level of vitriol he gets from some sections of our fanbase.

Andrew Richmond

Couldn't have put it better myself. While I admit he can be frustrating at times, he's done nothing to deserve the level of vitriol he gets from some sections of our fanbase.
I agree. As someone else also pointed out really nice person, model professional and for the most part his performances in recent times are almost always decent, rarely has a bad game even if he doesn’t create a lot in the attacking third. I can understand we need to move on but he doesn’t deserve the hate which is very sad.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I can't honestly understand why on Earth Inter would want him, I get why they wanted Lukaku, I can see why they took a punt on Sanchez but I've got no explanation for this one
Same. Unless it's on a free

UpWithRivers

A model professional that always does a job for us. He gets so much unwarranted stick its unreal. Yes he is not the best anymore but hes our captain and fills does a job at RB or LB every time he is needed. He is not the problem.

NK86

He's actually still useful. Arguably still our best left back and decent back up for AWB. Why let him go?

More balancing the books.
You think Ole would not have given the green light for this? It's absolute madness. I think we will be fielding the U21s at this rate by the end of the season.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Complain when he plays, complain when/if he's leaving.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Exactly. Some on here who say "I would rather get this guy out first before him" believe that the takers are always there no matter the situation. So we shouldn't sell Young until we can ship Rojo, Jones and other tripe?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
"I can't believe player like Young plays for us, he is fecking shit"

"I don't know why we are selling him when we don't have FBs"

Always the case, no matter what people will moan. Have to check Bebe transfer thread too once.

I don't know why people think we don't have depth considering Dalot if back to fitness. We have 4 players for 2 positions with youngsters like Laird in U23s.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Good to see a few on here appreciating Young, at 34 it is the right time to move on and Inter would be a great move for him. He's been a great servant for you, I remember some screamers against Arsenal and quite a few assists for Fellaini! Always played, always gave a shit as well. He looked finshed under Moyes, but fought his way back into LvG's team and then did the same under Jose, I thought he had a good season when you finished second, but sadly its been downhill since then. He even swallowed birdshit for the team and carried on playing! A great professional who should be remembered fondly by fans.

This is stupid. Why don't you let him leave in the summer? Even in his declined state he's still better than crap like Shaw and it's not costing us anything to keep him in his role when there are even more unreliable players in his position
I'm guessing if he does go it will be for free in the summer rather than in the Jan window, his contract ends this summer so he's speaking to clubs in Jan.

roonster09

Scout
Exactly. Some on here who say "I would rather get this guy out first before him" believe that the takers are always there no matter the situation. So we shouldn't sell Young until we can ship Rojo, Jones and other tripe?
Apparently there is a list which has the selling and buying order.

We can't sell Young before we sell players like Jones and Rojo.

We can't sign back up striker because we need AM more than CF.

elánius

Well, I really hate him, because he, alongside with Lingard are symbols of our fall from glory to dust, but even though he is definitely not MUTD level (or level I would expect from MUTD), he can be a good squad player for team like Inter, because he is hardworking and experienced player and they will need those if they want to beat Juventus. They mainly play 3/5/2 and wingback was his best position last couple of seasons, because it shows most of his strengths (like he is all round player, not lazy, likes to cross) and also hides his weaknesses (like he is not a classic full back and his positioning is a really bad).

I will still remeber his goals against Arsenal, but nothing more.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Well, I really hate him, because he, alongside with Lingard are symbols of our fall from glory to dust, but even though he is definitely not MUTD level (or level I would expect from MUTD), he can be a good squad player for team like Inter, because he is hardworking and experienced player and they will need those if they want to beat Juventus. They mainly play 3/5/2 and wingback was his best position last couple of seasons, because it shows most of his strengths (like he is all round player, not lazy, likes to cross) and also hides his weaknesses (like he is not a classic full back and his positioning is a really bad).

I will still remeber his goals against Arsenal, but nothing more.
Equating Young and Lingard isn't fair.

Lingard as a player just isn't good enough and has no track record of helping the club aside from his exploits in the FA Cup final — a trophy most fans don't count close to be being on par with a league title. Young, by all accounts, is a good guy, works hard, and is one of the few role models at the club for younger players having, wait for it, experienced being part of a winning squad. He's always there in videos on the training pitch and he puts in hard work to stay fit and focused on the pitch — something he doesn't get enough credit for IMHO.

He's no longer good enough for us sure but he's not as bad as Valencia was during his final days. I say good luck Youngy.

stu_1992

I can't believe I'm reading those rumours tbh. :lol: I could understand Inter wanting Lukaku. Sanchez seemed like a less obvious choice but fair enough maybe they thought they could get him back to top form. But Ashley Young? :eek:

Look I certainly won't be crying about Ashley Young leaving but I agree with those that are concerned about a lack of numbers and experience if he did go. However his positions aren't the least covered so it may be possible. Could just be an attempt to get a new contract. We'll see.

zenith

Can we like send a truck there with Jones, Bailey, matic, lingard, mata and Rojo. We might even offer them a bulk discount.

BarstoolProphet

Such is the state of this club that we can't even properly celebrate Ashley Young's departure because we barely have anyone left. He's a likeable guy, one of the few in recent years who has actually been trying to bridge the gap with the players and fanbase, but him leaving is way overdue.

RoyH1

Normally I'd say whoever is running Inter is mad or incompetent. But look at where they are on the table and you can see that Conte knows what he's doing. It's really true that one mans trash is another man's treasure I suppose.

What is it with Serie A and players in the latter years of their careers? I admit I rarely watch Serie A anymore. Is the tempo really that much slower? Do they juice them up, play them less or what? Honest question.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Young has been a decent stand-in this season - anyone that says otherwise is just doing so out of spite. Don't really understand why we would sell him unless we're getting in someone (which I find to be highly unlikely)... and relying on the fitness of Luke Shaw and Dalot just seems really dumb (and the fact that it is dumb is probably why it'll happen knowing our club).

Also, this "he's always been shite" stuff is like Valencia all over again... season before last he was good enough at left-back for a season to warrant (and justifiably so) being England's starting left back at the world cup. Is he the most amazing player to ever grace the earth? Of course not, but he's been a good servant over the years.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Can we like send a truck there with Jones, Bailey, matic, lingard, mata and Rojo. We might even offer them a bulk discount.
That's all well and good but you do realise that we're already a thin squad & we'd actually need to replace them all, right?

This thread is proof that there is agendas against certain players. Young has been out 2nd best full back this season yet people are celebrating his potential departure. If you think we're going to go out & sign Alex Sandro or David Alaba to replace him you're highly mistaken. It's going to be a case of putting all our eggs in AWB at right back & hoping Shaw & Williams can do a job at left back. What happens when AWB gets injured or needs resting? Shaw can't be trusted as it is. Just more youth players? A youth team that is in the 2nd division might I add?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Apparently there is a list which has the selling and buying order.

We can't sell Young before we sell players like Jones and Rojo.

We can't sign back up striker because we need AM more than CF.
Some can't let go really. They talk all day about ruthlessness but when the time comes we get to see posts like "he is useful", "xyz needs to leave first" and other drivel

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Good move for him, but it shows where we are that there is a reservation about our depth at fullback if we let a 34 year old converted winger go for a last payday.

roonster09

Scout
Some can't let go really. They talk all day about ruthlessness but when the time comes we get to see posts like "he is useful", "xyz needs to leave first" and other drivel
Yeah it's nothing to do with ruthlessness, people just want reason to moan.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Or.... maybe we just want to have players that can actually play full-back for the rest of the season?

Oldyella

Very true :D

Good move for him I think, will help prolong his career with a longer contract you would assume, in a slower league. Hes been a good professional for us, even if he has been so inconsistent in these last few years.

GBBQ

The fact he can cover a number of positions and is happy to sit on the bench means he's a good utility player to have for a fully functioning team. You might only have to use him sparingly and he's not gonna cost an arm and a leg.

flappyjay

Don't care let him go. We won't do anything this season might as well get rid of the deadwood before the new manager comes in

Greck

Wonder why Jose and this guy couldnt get along when they have such similar tastes

Status
Not open for further replies.