g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Aston Villa appoint Unai Emery as manager

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I wasn't being entirely serious when I said that. :lol:

Due to the wonders of Brexit we're going to have to wait to get a work permit for EU national so Emery won't be on touchline v Newcastle. Lose that and Newcastle will go 12 points clear of us so we aren't finishing ahead of them and Newcastle still wouldn't be seen as locks to finish top 6 themselves.

What I meant by league position we've had a kind run of fixtures to start off with. We took 2 points from Bournemouth, Fulham, Forest, Leeds and West Ham. Hopefully an Emery standard manager will be capable of 8-9 points from that run in 12 months time and that's how you get in contention for 6th-7th.
Aye, I'm kidding with you. I do think that this small period before the WC is vital for a few teams in the same boat as us both though. Win at least two games before that and you're in a very different place than if you lose or draw all them.

Hughes35

Was a lot of negativity on the radio this morning about the announcement, I found it strange.

I think he's a really good appointment for them.

Also.......... What have I missed with all the Good Ebening jokes?

Charles Miller

Do you have some Data to supoort this joke?

Was a lot of negativity on the radio this morning about the announcement, I found it strange.

I think he's a really good appointment for them.

Also.......... What have I missed with all the Good Ebening jokes?
Its the way he says "good evening" with his accent. "Birst of ball good ebening" = first of all good evening. Also there is some very nice bilingual joke on twitter about it and Buendia(that is also good evening).

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
I am reading Spanish press and some are infuriated that a low tier team from the Premier League is able to hire mid-season a manager like Emery and that La Liga teams are unable to do anything about it.

Yes, the Premier League is the actual Super League.

CallyRed

Need to make sure there's a good ebening on every page in this thread.

NewYorkRed

Of course he gets appointed before we play them twice in a few days. Can’t stand his defensive set up. Weird but good appointment for them.

The Purley King

He will do well I think although hopefully not in the games against us.
He definitely has an Alan Partidge look about him sometimes that is hard to shift from my mind…….

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Semi final of the CL with Villereal and then Villa? Surely could’ve got better.
He’s had big jobs with Arsenal and PSG. I thought he did decent with both - though probably remembered more for the Europa final defeat to Chelsea and with PSG the 6-1 capitulation against Barcelona.

I rate him but his level is around about here. Maybe a tad better aka a europa league team

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
Very good appointment for Villa, he can definitely bring them results and good cup runs. If he had been backed by Arsenal like they backed Arteta, he could probably have done better.

MUFC OK

2 of his first 3 against us. Hm, we don’t have the best record against him, do we :nervous:

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Aston Villa should thank the stars they managed to land a manager as good as him. Going from gerrard to him is like going from prius to ferrari

BorisManUtd

I hate him for beating us few times (well, for EL final mostly) but Emery's obviously a good manager and good addition to the league. And when he beats our rivals I'm okay with him I guess.

Nero

They got their win against United before the world cup, on the beach now.

Chairman Steve

In the words of ETH… Heh!

Can’t believe Dendoncker is still playing for a Premier League team. I’d rather have Clive Mendonca play at his age of 50-something.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
B + for the league results so far.

Very much a D_ for the two cup games.

Not like we just got mugged at the end, Stevenage gave it a real go and should've scored earlier in the game.

Chairman Steve

Impromptu Villa Talk goes into meltdown (NOTE: They have autocorrect filters for naughty words if you get confused reading)

Penalty to Stevenage

Right what the ****
Dendoncker Jesus Christ
Steroids Romeo Beckham really messed up there. That was pathetic.
Hahahaaaaa
Why are we such a clown show club
Dendonkey, absolute shit player.
1-1

They deserve that
So embarassing.
We deserve to have to play a replay simply because we have been utter shit.

Unai isn't blameless either, play a decent **** line up in the cup, don't fanny around
Imagine if Bailey had managed to make contact with one of his half dozen shots.
We might lose :lol: my god
Need to hold on for a replay now
Fair play to them. They stayed in the game, let us f+ck about and got the equaliser. Good stuff. Should be a lesson learned but we’ve been here before
1-2

Bailey giving it away yet again. **** him off.
Jesus.

That's the Emery honeymoon over with anyway.
**** off you useless **** cowards
I'm almost impressed of how pathetic this was.
Why oh why do we pay that set piece coach?!
DROP DEAD THE LOT OF YOU, YOU INCOMPETENT **** BIG SHIT clearings in the woods. **** OFF **** OFF. AND **** OFF OUT OUF THE CLUB
I want Bailey sold immediately
remember we all laughed at Newcastle yesterday
It’s like going to the seaside, swaggering about with your nice shoes and then having your chips stolen by a seagull.
Ffs going to be in all the giant killing recaps every year forever now.
Oh well, these things happen... quite a lot
An absolute staggering disgrace yet again by spineless **** words removed. word removed defenders word removed midfielders word removed forwards.

I never want to see Olsen, Chambers Bednarek Dendickface or Bailey play for us again. Coutinho is **** done. PATHETIC PIECES OF SHIT. GET THE **** OUT OF OUR CLUB YOU OVERPAID rocket polishers. **** OFF
Stevenage Borough FFS
ONLY Aston Villa could produce that performance. Aston Villa, the hard bleeding anal gimp of the Premier League. Please **** us brutally in the arse publicly and make it hurt. My girlfriend said why are you laughing and I said because it is classic Villa. I am laughing at how utterly **** pathetic the team I support is. **** off Villa. And to the people saying it doesn't matter, it does. We lost to Steven.
The worst Steven to happen to Villa since Gerrard

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
"The worst Steven to happen to Villa since Gerrard"

Absolute gold.

Chief123

Since Emery took over….

1. Arsenal – 41 points, GD +24 (played 17)
2. Manchester City – 38 points, GD +22
3. Aston Villa – 38 points, GD +13
4. Manchester United – 33 points, GD +6
5. Newcastle United – 32 points, GD +10 (played 17)
6. Brighton – 28 points, GD +12 (played 16)
7. Brentford – 28 points, GD +10
8. Liverpool – 27 points, GD +7
9. Tottenham – 27 points, GD +3
10. Wolves – 21 points, GD -5

That’s phenomenal turn around after they were flirting with relegation with Slippy G.

Reactions: Fortitude

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Indeed. He’s a very good manager, surprised some thought it wasn’t.

He could win a cup with Aston Villa eventually

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Since Emery took over….

1. Arsenal – 41 points, GD +24 (played 17)
2. Manchester City – 38 points, GD +22
3. Aston Villa – 38 points, GD +13
4. Manchester United – 33 points, GD +6
5. Newcastle United – 32 points, GD +10 (played 17)
6. Brighton – 28 points, GD +12 (played 16)
7. Brentford – 28 points, GD +10
8. Liverpool – 27 points, GD +7
9. Tottenham – 27 points, GD +3
10. Wolves – 21 points, GD -5

That’s phenomenal turn around after they were flirting with relegation with Slippy G.
We should've sacked Gerrard after we lost 1-0 at home to West Ham in late August. Perhaps Unai wouldn't have come at that point but a big what if for me.

Still going to be a very fun last 7 games. I think both ourselves and Brighton will finish above Spurs now who have been locked in the top 5 all season.

Despite what you've posted above I bet you someone on this forum in a few weeks will still come out with "why do Emery teams only play well v Man. United." :lol: