At the end of this season, Maguire needs to be removed as Captain

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Poor little Harry being bullied on here. I am sure the top reds would be along shortly to explain to us why he's improved our defence and how many clean sheets he's got in the last few games (which can be sourced directly from his socials).

Maguire is emblematic of why this club is where it is. Average player being raised on a pedestal because he's English or he's well liked by the other incompetent people at the club.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
What do you call a CB with no pace, no leadership and not enough IQ to acknowledge not to pass the ball to a midfielder with poor passing skills when he has two opponents that are breathing at his neck? Maybe the term average should not be used only on Fred
You keep saying this but we knew before buying Maguire that he was slow. But he is not average, whereas Fred is. And again, we are talking about PL (level) football. If Fred needs at least 5 yard space around him when receiving a pass as a midfielder then maybe he rather belongs to the championship.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
This cannot be emphasized enough. Maguire isn't supposed to predict Fred taking a shit touch and then making a blind back pass. The pass wasn't ideal for sure but no way he should be blamed for the goal. It's expecting him to predict the future basically
Well was Maguire playing with his eyes shut up to then? How many times had Fred messed up? It was quite predictable at that stage that Fred would fcuk up. Again.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He is the captain in name only.
Bruno is the captain.
The problem we have is that the players don't have the desire to win, which will allow them to elevate their performances to get consistent wins.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Indeed mate. :houllier:

I completely disagree with this. The whole point of us playing out is to draw the other team on to free up space. The “pattern” of play they would work on numerous times every day in training is a pass into Fred who can switch it to to AWB first time. As usual Fred fecked up his first touch.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I completely disagree with this. The whole point of us playing out is to draw the other team on to free up space. The “pattern” of play they would work on numerous times every day in training is a pass into Fred who can switch it to to AWB first time. As usual Fred fecked up his first touch.
He can't if he's left footed.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
He can't if he's left footed.
He’s still allowed to kick with his right foot ffs :lol: He can even take a touch and then make a simple 5 yard pass wide. Vardy is ready to press Lindelof. If his first touch is to his side protecting the ball there is zero issue. His first touch closes all his options -a total lack of awareness from him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think I probably agree with you. What would the effect be on Harry/the team morale if that happened
What morale? Bruno is a better player and a better leader. It would also remove the hype surrounding maguire. That would help him as well and it would facilitate the path for us to finally sign a top quality CB to carry erm help him

Crustanoid

What morale? Bruno is a better player and a better leader. It would also remove the hype surrounding maguire. That would help him as well and it would facilitate the path for us to finally sign a top quality CB to carry erm help him
I agree. It might cause ructions though if Harry got deposed. He’d effectively be stripped of the captaincy .

devilish

You keep saying this but we knew before buying Maguire that he was slow. But he is not average, whereas Fred is. And again, we are talking about PL (level) football. If Fred needs at least 5 yard space around him when receiving a pass as a midfielder then maybe he rather belongs to the championship.
I repeat what do you call a CB who has little brains, zero pace and zero leadership? Both are very average players. Every neutral fan outside of the UK sees it. I watched the Milan game in Italian and it took the pundit 5 minutes to acknowledge his glaring weaknesses. The only difference is that we acknowledge it for Fred but not for maguire

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
He’s still allowed to kick with his right foot ffs :lol: He can even take a touch and then make a simple 5 yard pass wide. Vardy is ready to press Lindelof. If his first touch is to his side protecting the ball there is zero issue. His first touch closes all his options -a total lack of awareness from him.
Yeah I'm not excusing what he does, it's poor. But still I have the feeling this matters, that it's at the core of the mistake, that he's not the correct footed player for that position/situation.

devilish

I agree. It might cause ructions though if Harry got deposed. He’d effectively be stripped of the captaincy .
By who exactly? Bruno is dejure captain. He also repeatedly carry the squad.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yeah I'm not excusing what he does, it's poor. But still I have the feeling this matters, that it's at the core of the mistake, that he's not the correct footed player for that position/situation.
A professional footballer on 100k a week should be more than capable of executing that pass.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
I think you’re giving him too much credit - I’d argue none of his feet are correct for any situation on a football pitch that involves us having the ball :lol:

Crustanoid

By who exactly? Bruno is dejure captain. He also repeatedly carry the squad.
I agree. Just imagine the conversation . ‘Harry, you’re shit, Bruno is going to take your place’. McGuire then loses all confidence and lets a shitload of goals in then gets sold to Hull on a free. How would you handle this decision ?

united_99

I repeat what do you call a CB who has little brains, zero pace and zero leadership? Both are very average players. Every neutral fan outside of the UK sees it. I watched the Milan game in Italian and it took the pundit 5 minutes to acknowledge his glaring weaknesses. The only difference is that we acknowledge it for Fred but not for maguire
I rate Maguire. He is not Rio or Vidic level, but the best and most reliable since them. Send me a memo when we manage to sign someone who is better than Maguire and can play even half as many games as him. Almost a decade of wait until we got a CB who doesn’t spend more time on the treatment table than on the pitch.

devilish

I agree. Just imagine the conversation . ‘Harry, you’re shit, Bruno is going to take your place’. McGuire then loses all confidence and lets a shitload of goals in then gets sold to Hull on a free. How would you handle this decision ?
All well that ends well. Maguire would finally play at his level

Seriously I very much doubt the conversation would go like that.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
A professional footballer on 100k a week should be more than capable of executing that pass.
One would think so, yes. The other thing is that he's asking for the ball, so one would assume he had an idea what to do with it once it arrives :lol:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Has Fred completed a single first time pass with his right foot all season? He struggles to play first time passes with his dominant foot.

Agreed that being able to make that pass is a very low bar but at the same time surely Maguire has to be aware that he's passing to someone who has shown no ability to execute in that situation for years now.

devilish

I rate Maguire. He is not Rio or Vidic level, but the best and most reliable since them. Send me a memo when we manage to sign someone who is better than Maguire and can play even half as many games as him. Almost a decade of wait until we got a CB who doesn’t spend more time on the treatment table than on the pitch.
At 80m you expect a Rio or a Vidic. As the Italians said the problem with the guy is that he simply lack the pace and the brains to play in a team with a high line. He would do well in a team like West ham that defend deep and in numbers but he isn't suited for top clubs.

devilish

The question is, what would actually change if Bruno was club captain?
1. We finally have a captain
2. We relief maguire from unnecessary pressure. Hopefully he would be focusing on defending
3. It would make it more acceptable to add a top CB to carry erm partner him

rememberwhenwewerekings

Teams do this kind of move all the time, central midfielders receive balls and make passes under this kind of pressure all the time. It's completely normal. Fred just has a horrible touch, then a bad decision and then a horrible execution of that decision.
Which brings us back to the “why pass to Fred in that position” question.
A good captain would have recognised Fred started the game badly and told him to calm down.
Leicester targeted Fred from the first minute and pressed him everytime he had the ball.
I would love to see Uniteds dressing room at half time, do you think maguire is in there shouting the odds?
Personally though I think Bruno would be too hot headed to be captain.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
1. We finally have a captain
2. We relief maguire from unnecessary pressure. Hopefully he would be focusing on defending
3. It would make it more acceptable to add a top CB to carry erm partner him
We already have a captain, and we have no idea if Maguire even feels pressure from it (from all accounts he really enjoys the role).

It also doesn't stop us from buying a centre back partner.

So again, what would change? If anything its more likely to negatively effect Maguire then positively effect him.

Red_toad

Has a player ever had the captaincy taken off them for performance reasons? :lol: Can't see it happening myself.
Harry is a better captain than either Young or Valencia, but the Caf still harps on like Keane was captain prior to him.

united_99

At 80m you expect a Rio or a Vidic. As the Italians said the problem with the guy is that he simply lack the pace and the brains to play in a team with a high line. He would do well in a team like West ham that defend deep and in numbers but he isn't suited for top clubs.
Ah the Italians know all about a high line. I couldn’t care less what the Italians say. You pay around 50 mil nowadays for almost any established PL player. We overpaid, but at least he is always available for selection. If he had the injury record of most of our other current and past CBs, we would be nowhere near top 4 this season. Jose wanted him. Pep wanted him and City were prepared to pay 60-65 mil for him. Ole wanted him. But yeah, the Italians ...

devilish

We already have a captain, and we have no idea if Maguire even feels pressure from it (from all accounts he really enjoys the role).

It also doesn't stop us from buying a centre back partner.

So again, what would change? If anything its more likely to negatively effect Maguire then positively effect him.
He might like it but genuinely he is not very good at it. I'd rather see him focus on the basic stuff like defending, positioning, not being out paced, heading etc.

Then we might add a CB who can do the thinking for him as well. It's hard to bring a WC CB to do that when his CB partner is also the captain

So let Bruno be captain. He is the dejure captain after all and he's got talent.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Which brings us back to the “why pass to Fred in that position” question.
A good captain would have recognised Fred started the game badly and told him to calm down.
Leicester targeted Fred from the first minute and pressed him everytime he had the ball.
I would love to see Uniteds dressing room at half time, do you think maguire is in there shouting the odds?
Personally though I think Bruno would be too hot headed to be captain.
But then it's a problem of the organisation. Central midfielders who are receiving the ball from the CBs are always pressed, that's normal. I'm sure van de Beek would easily be able to play the ball to Wan Bissaka, why isn't he put there then?

devilish

Ah the Italians know all about a high line. I couldn’t care less what the Italians say. You pay around 50 mil nowadays for almost any established PL player. We overpaid, but at least he is always available for selection. If he had the injury record of most of our other current and past CBs, we would be nowhere near top 4 this season. Jose wanted him. Pep wanted him and City were prepared to pay 60-65 mil for him. Ole wanted him. But yeah, the Italians ...
They certainly know a thing or two about CBs and their last WC winners aren't dying of old age.

Jose and Pep are hardly top defender spotters and the Italians are right. Maguire lack the pace to play in a high line.

Chabon

I’m sure it’s been said, but he’s the kind of player Liverpool would have signed during the Fergie years.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
He might like it but genuinely he is not very good at it. I'd rather see him focus on the basic stuff like defending, positioning, not being out paced, heading etc.

Then we might add a CB who can do the thinking for him as well. It's hard to bring a WC CB to do that when his CB partner is also the captain

So let Bruno be captain. He is the dejure captain after all and he's got talent.
What's he not good at? He sorts out the club fines, he sorts out match day tickets, he welcomes new players to the chub, he walks the team out very well and he can select heads or tails with the best of them.

Bruno literally would be exactly the same footballer with or without the armband. Nothing would change.

devilish

What's he not good at? He sorts out the club fines, he sorts out match day tickets, he welcomes new players to the chub, he walks the team out very well and he can select heads or tails with the best of them.

Bruno literally would be exactly the same footballer with or without the armband. Nothing would change.
Robbo, Keane and Vidic were like that and we still gave them the arm band.

Best players + most influential players = captains

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Robbo, Keane and Vidic were like that and we still gave them the arm band. We didn't give it to the village idiot instead

Best players + most influential players = captains
We also didn't strip people of the armband to give it to them either.

It's a role that means absolutely nothing on the pitch. Leaders will be leaders with or without a piece of fabric on their arm. The club captaincy is more about all the off field shit.