At the end of this season, Maguire needs to be removed as Captain

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He might get less yellow cards for complaining to the ref though as captain so that might be beneficial
Doubt it, he'd just moan even more if anything! Which would probably just annoy the ref even more...

I think he's only been booked once for that with us anyway.

MalcolmTucker

This thread is pointless and the weirdos blaming Maguire for Fred's mistake are laughable.

A-man

I have never seen anything that indicates that Bruno is a leader. He’s a good player and fights well but leadership? Is it because he often gets angry with his team mates?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He might get less yellow cards for complaining to the ref though as captain so that might be beneficial
He might even lose the ball less, but I doubt it. For all the crying about Maguire, our vice-captain regularly puts the team under pressure by needlessly giving the ball away again and again.
I like both players and both have their strengths and weaknesses. The captaincy is fine where it is, really don’t understand the obsession with who is captain.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This thread is pointless and the weirdos blaming Maguire for Fred's mistake are laughable.
I suggest the weirdo is the one saying giving some average CB the club captaincy 2 months into his Man Utd tenure is appropriate and keeps defending him through all his failures - on the pitch and off.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I have never seen anything that indicates that Bruno is a leader. He’s a good player and fights well but leadership? Is it because he often gets angry with his team mates?
Yep. And he gives interviews claiming that he is a winner.
He is our best player but there is really not much which suggests he should be captain (especially when we already have a captain).

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Doubt it, he'd just moan even more if anything! Which would probably just annoy the ref even more...

I think he's only been booked once for that with us anyway.
Really? That's surprising since it seems to me he complains to the ref a lot :lol:

But yeah, you're right that Bruno certainly does not need the armband to take responsibility, and you also don't need to pass the captaincy around just because someone other than the captain is vocal and takes responsibility. Seems like people project very much significance into these matters.

I shouldn't point a finger though - there was a time in the late 2000s when I was complaining about Lahm not being a proper vocal and forceful captain :lol:

Jericho

Yeah that'll do at this point. Anything is better than having a mute as captain.

rememberwhenwewerekings

I don’t think anyone is blaming Maguire for Fred’s mistake, Fred messed up big time, but could it have been prevented? Maybe.
I wouldn’t say a discussion on the captaincy of the club we all love is pointless.

Eli Zee

Don't think captain really matters tbh. If you need a captain to command you to make you play better, that's your fault. If you can't make a comeback without a captain saying "come on guys keep going," again that is the players fault.

I think Maguire is fine as captain. If he will be playing every game, I see no reason not to keep him as one instead of another player on our team. No one really looks like captain material anyway.

Monkey bus

I repeat what do you call a CB who has little brains, zero pace and zero leadership? Both are very average players. Every neutral fan outside of the UK sees it. I watched the Milan game in Italian and it took the pundit 5 minutes to acknowledge his glaring weaknesses. The only difference is that we acknowledge it for Fred but not for maguire
How many fans are we talking about here @devilish? If every single neutral fan outside the UK sees he’s rubbish I’d be keen to know how many you’ve asked? Must be a fair few billion? ;)

Matriac

A captain should not be THE on-field leader. A great team should have many on-field leader characters that will help pull the team in the right direction.
The club captain should be a calm reasonable person that can talk to the ref without being carded. And then off-field be a nice person that wants to bring in and include everyone with the group. To not be the person that loses his cool, so that players are not worried about bringing up stuff with him.

Bruno would be a quite bad club captain, but he's a very good on field leader.
Maguire is doing a great job.

Abraxas

I'm not sure what good this would do. But then I personally have never subscribed to the view that the club captain is of huge significance. I think a lot gets read into it when the truth is you have 20 odd personalities in a squad and what you see on the pitch is reflective of all of them, plus the staff's ability to create an environment.

It's tempting to equate the symbol of the armband with all kinds of outcomes that aren't closely related and forget that it is mostly just that, a figurehead or symbol and not in any way comparable to something like a cricket captain. Perhaps it is because we have had captains like Keane and Robson, but I feel they would be the first to say that the squad on the pitch was reflecting a good group of personalities and if they may cajole or motivate then it is because they had a group receptive to it.

If the armband was given to Bruno who I think most people are fairly impressed by in terms of personality and attitude, what would the practical difference be? He is already trying to inspire those around him, the armband isn't necessarily going to add much.

Of the problems we have this seems to be of fairly low priority. In terms of performance he's still one of our two best options for the role so until that changes he is not going to be dropped either.

Raredaredevil

I don't ever remember a foreigner being Man Utd's captain. Maybe Eric Cantona? I remember Valencia having the captain armband for the Europa League final in 2017 and in Jose's third season in 2017/2018 but that's it. I think the club is still pretty old school about keeping their captains English/British. I agree with the OP that Harry Maguire is a horrible choice for a captain. He has absolutely no leadership qualities at all and the way he behave as a captain, being so soft says everything wrong with the team. How he just shrugged off after hearing from Atwell the penalty was not awarded for fear of backlash shows he is a coward with no backbone. The captaincy should be given to Bruno Fernandes period.

el3mel

I don't ever remember a foreigner being Man Utd's captain. Maybe Eric Cantona? I remember Valencia having the captain armband for the Europa League final in 2017 and in Jose's third season in 2017/2018 but that's it. I think the club is still pretty old school about keeping their captains English/British. I agree with the OP that Harry Maguire is a horrible choice for a captain. He has absolutely no leadership qualities at all and the way he behave as a captain, being so soft says everything wrong with the team. How he just shrugged off after hearing from Atwell the penalty was not awarded for fear of backlash shows he is a coward with no backbone. The captaincy should be given to Bruno Fernandes period.
Evra?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Valencia, Vidic and Cantona were all the main club captain for a few years each.

E-mal

Any new coach that wants to play a high line will find it hard to play Maguire and lindelof. They are simply holding us back to play front foot football.
We really dont have a defence.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We also didn't strip people of the armband to give it to them either.

It's a role that means absolutely nothing on the pitch. Leaders will be leaders with or without a piece of fabric on their arm. The club captaincy is more about all the off field shit.
But we did to Pogba. Rio was also set to become a captain but lose the chance after the drug test scandal. What's the point of having a nobody as captain? The guy need someone to do the thinking for him in defence. That won't happen while he's got the arm band

RashyForPM

A captain should not be THE on-field leader. A great team should have many on-field leader characters that will help pull the team in the right direction.
The club captain should be a calm reasonable person that can talk to the ref without being carded. And then off-field be a nice person that wants to bring in and include everyone with the group. To not be the person that loses his cool, so that players are not worried about bringing up stuff with him.

Bruno would be a quite bad club captain, but he's a very good on field leader.
Maguire is doing a great job.
I’m not saying I want Maguire stripped of the captaincy mid-season as that would be the stupidest course of action. However, Bruno isn’t just a ranter and raver. He also talks to the ref, and even on the pitch, look at the encouragement and pointers that he gives his fellow attackers as to where they should run etc.

Roy Keane also constantly had a go at teammates, but backed it up with immense helpfulness and praise in the dressing room. Just like Bruno.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
How many fans are we talking about here @devilish? If every single neutral fan outside the UK sees he’s rubbish I’d be keen to know how many you’ve asked? Must be a fair few billion? ;)
Well in malta we tend to love watching serie A and EPL football. We got supporters of both camps in here. This seem to be infective as British immigrants and Italian/Spanish expats tend to pick up this bad habit. Maybe its down to the fact that most restaurants, bars and pubs show these games.

The place were I live and I was born in is quite friendly and it's easy to have a chat about football . I've yet to meet one who rates the guy. Actually for most of the time I end up defending him as I find criticism towards him is a bit too much.

Pearl's a minger

Pretty sure the post didn't call him a gormless moron because of the shitty pass to Fred yesterday or any other bang average pass he's done this season. It's an ongoing thing.

hes a gormless moron for something that possibly didn't even happen

classic caf :lol:

Last edited:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If a sloppy pass is enough to strip a player of captaincy then Bruno is the last man we should give it to.

passing-wind

The only reason Maguire should be removed as Captain is Bruno. Nothing to do with Maguire's performances he just seemingly doesn't have the characteristics of a captain and it's largely evident when he's performing. Bruno attitude often seems to eclipse that of Solskjaer's when it comes to winning he should definitely be given the armband.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Cantona was captain. So was Roy Keane. Noel Cantwell was captain in 63 and Jackie Carey. All Irish.

croadyman

Yes it should happen but won't because that would mean Ole admitting that he got it wrong with the captaincy

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't think he should be captain, but I feel we are stuck with it now. Removing the captaincy from him will be a very public display of a lack of confidence and it's not like he won't be our first choice centre back next season (as he happens to be our best centre back).

We all know it should be Bruno, but it's a tricky situation.

roseguy64

It's always going to be a hospital ball. Fred's pass is another topic but Maguire should never play a pass to a player facing back towards goal with 3 players closing him down. It reeked of him just wanting somebody else to have the ball.
We've played that pass to Matic, Pogba and McTominay all season and I don't need a full hand to count the number of times they messed up receiving the ball. Usually, they get the ball and turn the oppo player on them and move into space or pass it off.

That was in no way a bad pass to Fred. That's a regular ball that's been played by us for seasons now.

roseguy64

There's nothing positive to come out of stripping Maguire of the captaincy and giving it to someone else. Just a waste of time. Bruno, Pogba or whoever else still holds as much sway among the squad as they would with it.

Just ridiculous and fantasy thinking that one change will magically fix things.

Hughie77

Harry Maguire is up there with one of the worst players I have seen as captain of our great club, he can't even command his own defenders and the amount of mistakes he has cost us is simply. Not good enough for what we paid for him. Looking back he was okay at Leicester had the odd good game but under well less pressure than he is with us and had a really good world cup. However, that doesn't command the price we ended up paying for him when there are much better CB's available at a cheaper cost to what we shelled out. And then to arrive and be given the captaincy when he hadn't earnt it was strictly mind blowing. Out of 10 I would give him a 5.5 for overall performance levels since signing, his antics against Everton cost us the points more than David de Gea who up until a few years ago was the BEST GK in the world. Him going down easily to try and get a foul late on and for the captain to be the one to keep everyone onside in the dying seconds when every other member of the team was keeping the offside track perfectly.

And his reactions after games especially in Derbys when we have been beaten or drew and he is hugging playing or laughing, it sends out the message to every club that we are soft and then were shocked when teams like Sheffield come against us and just go for it because they know how much or our squad particularly in defence are weak minded individuals. Bruno Fernandes is the proper captain of this club for me, even when he doesn't play well which is rarely he pulls an assist or goal out of no where and he never continues to not try which I love about him. Give him the captaincy and you will see players attitudes improve and from that we will start to have a proper mentality not seen for years. And for people saying Maguire has been better than I am saying he has would he get in City's, Liverpools, PSG, Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Milan, Ajax, Munich or Dortmund side who are now the elite of Europe. No.
Someone doesn't like Maguire, hes not a bad captain, I think A Telles is a bad buy , but I wont have a go at him, hes a utd player, he was bloody useless on Sunday, the difference when Shaw came on was unbelievable, same as VDB hes had the chances and still hasn't taken them, I wont have a pop at him either. Maguire was the best at the time that was available to buy i think , theres many who are very good in there leagues but when they come to Prem they have struggled, ie VDB, Telles, they are ordinary in this league. To think Maguire is a bad captain through a loss in a cup tie is beyond me.

MikeeMike

He's a brainless fecking idiot. Who in the right mind plays that pass. Even if your team-mate asks for the ball, he ought to know better. Pathetic.
The mind of someone who forgot that a £50m Brazilian is a liablilty.
Saying that. I’m totally apposed to the concept of captain and all players should shoulder the same commitment and responsibility regardless of club captain.

Wing Attack Plan R

Having a captain is kinda pointless anyway. The only time it matters is during the coin toss and exchange of pleasantries/handshakes at the start of the match. Harry can be captain, it means almost nothing.

Captains have no more (or less) rights than any other player on the pitch; the referees don't care what the captain's opinion is. On the pitch, I don't think players particularly care about the captain either.

The captain might think they are some kind of avatar of the manager's will during a match but players are going to listen to whichever player is most vocal and demonstrates they know what they're doing.

Think anyone's asking Harry's advice? Can anyone picture Harry giving Pogba instructions on how to play?

He'sRaldo

Having a captain is kinda pointless anyway. The only time it matters is during the coin toss and exchange of pleasantries/handshakes at the start of the match. Harry can be captain, it means almost nothing.

Captains have no more (or less) rights than any other player on the pitch; the referees don't care what the captain's opinion is. On the pitch, I don't think players particularly care about the captain either.

The captain might think they are some kind of avatar of the manager's will during a match but players are going to listen to whichever player is most vocal and demonstrates they know what they're doing.

Think anyone's asking Harry's advice? Can anyone picture Harry giving Pogba instructions on how to play?
You're describing the problem with Maguire being captain.

Polar

Don’t see any problems playing Maguire as Captain. He’s our most stable player; playing week in and week out. Other players obviously respect him a lot (also been captain on the national team and was captain on Leicester). Sounds like a born leader to me.

We should look past his problems in the beginning of the season. We all now what it was a result off. As long as the Mykonos situation was a one-time case, I suppose it could have happened with everyone. It shouldn’t raise doubt about Maguire’s character.

stevoc

Cantona, Keane Vidic, Evra, Schemeichel, Valencia.