Aubameyang - yay or nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
People keep taking about getting youngsters but what about experience and players at their peak? Surely that would help us in our current situation and help said youngsters level up their game?

Now I'm not saying Auba is the guy but we shouldn't stick up our nose at everyone above 27. For every Sanchez, there's an RVP.

criticalanalysis

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1214151

Please open the above link, do yourself a favour and have a good read. Many of the comments in the article are consistent with points I have made in my previous posts about Auba.

I will highlight some thing mentioned in the write up as follows:

1. "In what has been a transitional campaign for Arsenal it has not been an easy ride for the 29-year-old. Unlike the other leading scorers in the division, he has featured in a range of different formations. With no consistent pattern of play or defined individual role, it has been harder for Aubameyang to settle into a rhythm. Unai Emery has used him wide, as a partner for Alexandre Lacazette, in a lone striker role and as an impact substitute. Yet despite those changing remits, Aubameyang has consistently found the back of the net, scoring a goal every 132 minutes. Of the top five leading PL scorers, only Sergio Aguero can better that return."

2. "The Gunners are ranked seventh for most chances created, behind the top four clubs, Manchester United and Leicester City. This means Aubameyang has had to be efficient to challenge the top of the goalscoring charts."
My God, I didn't even know that Leicester City created more chances than Arsenal at this stage of the season at least but @SquishyMcSquish would have you believe otherwise.

3. As he spends much of his time linking play from wide areas, Aubameyang’s touch count inside the opposition penalty area of 130 is also low.
Admittedly I do not catch enough of Arsenal games as I'd love to but anyone who watched him at BVB would quickly recognize that Emery is overthinking Auba's role in the team.

4. "Part of the issue (of his missing of chances) may be his one-footed nature. Eighteen of his 20 goals have come from his right foot, and none with his head. But Aubameyang also boasts the best chance-conversion rate of the top five scorers, scoring 30 per cent of his efforts."

5. if Arsenal improve as a creative force next season, do not be surprised if he is leading the charge in 2019/20.

I made this point repeatedly yesterday but got shut down multiple times.

Man United fans don't want to take a hit in the transfer market but want to have sufficient quality to challenge for the title or come close to doing that. I shake my head at those that scoff at the idea of having him lead the line reasonably not the one where Emery makes a guinea pig of him with constant experiments. I can live with Rashord, Lukaku, Martial and Sanchez given opportunities in the lead striker role but Auba clearly takes us another level compared with the aforementioned and if properly supported, could give us a goal scoring formula that would be pretty difficult, I mean difficult to best.

I also shake my head at Arsenal fans that entertain the idea of selling Auba and having Laca as a sole striker (and perhaps getting a Zaha with the available funds). I'd just put it to a lack of knowledge of what a treasure they have in Auba. Its laughable to be honest.
I'm with you mate.

Would very happily have him here for the right price.

I'll repeat my first post in this thread but Pogba would have a field day supplying for this guy.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Initially I was like ‘hell no’, but I’ve come around to the idea of getting Auba in. I think he would be a very interesting purchase. Not every signing needs to be a kid.

Have there been any credible reports though? Think I’ve only really seen this reporter via TalkSport and the BBC Gossip section.

Wheato

I'd happily have Aubameyang if it means Sanchez goes the other way. It's a win win for both parties. Sanchez was brilliant for them. He suits their style more. Aubameyang would teach Rashford a few things about goal scoring, and we wouldn't miss Lukaku at all.

starman

Palace want 80m for Zaha. Arsenal offered 40m. Give them 40m for Auba. Arsenal have their 80m for Zaha of which we will get 20m of. Done Dealio.

lysglimt

Scout
Of course no - he is 30 years old. Will he score goals ? Yes - but for how long ? He is lazy, he doesnt work - and why would we spend so much of our budget on a player who will stick around for 2-3 seasons and have 0 sell-on value ?

Cliche Guevara

Palace want 80m for Zaha. Arsenal offered 40m. Give them 40m for Auba. Arsenal have their 80m for Zaha of which we will get 20m of. Done Dealio.
This is very interesting and perhaps the reason keeping our sell-on clause for Zaha was so important.

Given the circular nature of this deal, the figures could all be equalised to a manageable level for all sides. If we offer £60m for Aubameyang it’s effectively £40m, if that’s what facilitates the £20m sell on fee.

Key issue is Palace identifying an affordable replacement.

Bondi77

Good player and if he was at a bargain price then I would be keen but that is not going to happen so I am always going to be against paying top dollar for a 30yo as so many things can go wrong.

Le Red

He'd probably score 20+ goals in the PL and ensure we feat in the UCL next year. Given his age I think 35-40m sounds about right.

Cantonagotmehere

I think he would help us a ton. Take pressure if off younger guys and sure can finish. I'd love this signing. He obviously can play in this league.

GledTheRed

Hell to the no, tool old and too expensive.

Great goalscorer mind, should have bought him instead of Lukaku but the ship has sailed.

Cantonagotmehere

Hell to the no, tool old and too expensive.

Great goalscorer mind, should have bought him instead of Lukaku but the ship has sailed.
I can't totally disagree, but with Rashford, Martial and young Greenwood, United need a veteran striker. If we get lucky enough for a decent deal from Inter for Lukaku, a good chunk of the funds for Aubameyang would be fine with me.

Andy_Cole

This is very interesting and perhaps the reason keeping our sell-on clause for Zaha was so important.

Given the circular nature of this deal, the figures could all be equalised to a manageable level for all sides. If we offer £60m for Aubameyang it’s effectively £40m, if that’s what facilitates the £20m sell on fee.

Key issue is Palace identifying an affordable replacement.
We can offer them Young or JLingz?

lsd

The Oracle

This sounds so logical

ZLATAN9

I'm with you mate.

Would very happily have him here for the right price.

I'll repeat my first post in this thread but Pogba would have a field day supplying for this guy.

Exactly what I was going to say can you imagine Pogba passing these through balls in to him? I think 100% if we can get him for the rite money snap there hand off.

Would suit Manchester United more than Lukaku.

criticalanalysis

Exactly what I was going to say can you imagine Pogba passing these through balls in to him? I think 100% if we can get him for the rite money snap there hand off.

Would suit Manchester United more than Lukaku.
One can only dream we have an experienced and intelligent centre forward. Ben Yedder would be a good addition too.

SER19

I'd definitely take him here. Yes it's not a long term solution but we obviously see potential for rashford to step into our main striker role. Think he'd easily hit 20 a season and still at least 2 very good years in him. Actually putting him in potential line ups adds a nice balance to the team I think. (RW aside)

WantingToDiscuss

Supports
Arsenal
As an Arsenal fan i think Aubameyang is really good, but tbh having said that imo he has a huge flaw... He needs waaaay too many chances before he scores. For all his talent etc imo he's nowhere near clinical enough to be considered a truly worldclass striker. Yes he scores alot cuz he so many chances, but still his finishing ultimately leaves alot to be desired.

I'd definitely take him here. Yes it's not a long term solution but we obviously see potential for rashford to step into our main striker role. Think he'd easily hit 20 a season and still at least 2 very good years in him. Actually putting him in potential line ups adds a nice balance to the team I think. (RW aside)
He’s currently a better striker than what we have have at the club. Not sure that’s up for debate.

Arsenal paid £56m for him 18 months ago, and given his excellent form, I can’t see Arsenal wanting to sell him on the cheap! What sort of fee would he command - £60m+?

I think he’s an option that’s too expensive for us, given his age.

MUFC OK

I honestly think we have a real problem in the striker position. Realistically we have Rashford who is our starting striker, then Lukaku who looks to be off, and aside from that Martial and possible Sanchez.

That's a lot of pressure on Rashford to deliver and score 20+ goals, like an Auba, Aguero, Kane. if we had goals from the wings like liverpool then he could get away with a similar output to Firmino but the reality is we don't. In addition, we can't really sign a top striker like Auba because where does that leave Rashford?

I honestly think the best we can hope for is Ben Yedder (who may be happy to share his game time initially) and our absolute priority should be a RW who at least has the potential to be a 15-20 goals a season player.

MUFC OK

As an Arsenal fan i think Aubameyang is really good, but tbh having said that imo he has a huge flaw... He needs waaaay too many chances before he scores. For all his talent etc imo he's nowhere near clinical enough to be considered a truly worldclass striker. Yes he scores alot cuz he so many chances, but still his finishing ultimately leaves alot to be desired.
I know, he never gets bonus pts on fpl. I prefer Lacazette, hes a far more lethal finisher.

SER19

He’s currently a better striker than what we have have at the club. Not sure that’s up for debate.

Arsenal paid £56m for him 18 months ago, and given his excellent form, I can’t see Arsenal wanting to sell him on the cheap! What sort of fee would he command - £60m+?

I think he’s an option that’s too expensive for us, given his age.
Ya that's way too much. But they did overpay was it in January window? Would do well to get over 50 for a 30 year old striker if desperate to raise funds. I'd go to 40 but no more. Or 35 plus Rojo :p

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Not sure if people in here are serious, I'm not advocating buying Aubameyang because of his age, but he is superior to all our attackers combined. He was the joint top scorer in the premier league last season. He scored more goals than Rashford and Lukaku combined. He is twice the striker Rashford and Martial will ever be because he can actually score a goal more frequently than once every 10 games. We will probably spend £60 million on Zaha instead. :lol:
The same sort of stuff was said about the Sanchez signing, and look how that turned out. Our fingers have been burnt and now we're terrified of it happening again.

On the other hand, it goes the way of RVP. Big gamble to find out which way it goes though.

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
I have been reading the replies in this thread. A lot of people make valid points why they would or wouldn't want him. Some it is just a personal preference and he doesn't suit the kind of striker they would want. Others they just object mainly for financial reasons or longterm planning. Which is all perfectly fine and easy to understand.

Yet a few posters have been making incredible claims and some mental gymnastics to convince people why they don't rate him.

Someone mentioned he misses easy chances. Which is true, last season he missed some absolute sitters, and quite a lot of them. Yet he ended up joint top scorer. Which means he just knows how to get into great positions. Which is the hardest thing to learn as a forward.

It was also mentioned the reason he scored so many must be cause Arsenal create a lot chances. Well actually as have been pointed out we created less than all the big teams and even less than Leicester if i can remember correctly (I think as a team Arsenal had the best conversion rate in the PL, not 100% sure but I'm sure I saw a stat somewhere). Anyway as it turns out Aubameyang's conversion rate for last season is better than Salah, Kane, Lukaku, Aguero etc (oh also better than lacazette, yet people would have you convinced otherwise). But no one thought to mention that as that obviously goes against what they are trying to accomplish. So in summary Aubameyang misses easy chances but more than makes up for by converting the harder ones.

Actually that is a scary thought. He got so many goals yet could have got so many more which shows he can easily improve on last seasons tally.

daveskimufc

Id take him at the right price, we would be stupid not to.
Hes had a season and a half where he has scored loads and been top scorer.

But it all seems to have gone quiet with this one

Bearded One

I have been reading the replies in this thread. A lot of people make valid points why they would or wouldn't want him. Some it is just a personal preference and he doesn't suit the kind of striker they would want. Others they just object mainly for financial reasons or longterm planning. Which is all perfectly fine and easy to understand.

Yet a few posters have been making incredible claims and some mental gymnastics to convince people why they don't rate him.

Someone mentioned he misses easy chances. Which is true, last season he missed some absolute sitters, and quite a lot of them. Yet he ended up joint top scorer. Which means he just knows how to get into great positions. Which is the hardest thing to learn as a forward.

It was also mentioned the reason he scored so many must be cause Arsenal create a lot chances. Well actually as have been pointed out we created less than all the big teams and even less than Leicester if i can remember correctly (I think as a team Arsenal had the best conversion rate in the PL, not 100% sure but I'm sure I saw a stat somewhere). Anyway as it turns out Aubameyang's conversion rate for last season is better than Salah, Kane, Lukaku, Aguero etc (oh also better than lacazette, yet people would have you convinced otherwise). But no one thought to mention that as that obviously goes against what they are trying to accomplish. So in summary Aubameyang misses easy chances but more than makes up for by converting the harder ones.

Actually that is a scary thought. He got so many goals yet could have got so many more which shows he can easily improve on last seasons tally.

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
?

I can see my post being quoted but no accompanying text.

Last edited:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
and now for a (we-haven't-drawn-a-name-out-of-one-hat-and-a-figure-out-of-a-number-out-of-another) scoop from the Daily Star:

· Manchester United have made a £62m bid for Arsenal striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Italian reports claim.

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
Nay. Would be the next Sanchez Transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.