Aubameyang - yay or nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Nay, we might not get zaha and strengthening a rival for top four will make our job harder. Though this is all the vaguest of speculation. When ornstein tweets it he means it, if he says it on radio/tv then it's usually bs

Bearded One

He's a great goalscorer, I've never denied it. The problem is that most of the other players in that list offer more off the ball than Auba, and that's why they're rated higher. He's a world class goalscorer but not a world class footballer.

Lukaku at Everton was getting more goals than that, he's a great goalscorer as well when he's a regular in a side which plays to his strengths. Arsenal do play to Auba's strengths but in a team which doesn't or an elite side he would struggle because he's not an elite all round footballer, hence why he sometimes got dropped for Arsenal. Lacazette scores less but offers more to the team.

Aguero also came off the bench a lot, had injury issues, and offers far more all round to the team than Auba. Guardiola wouldn't tolerate a striker like Aubameyang leading the line for him, he doesn't contribute enough to the team, he even had issues with Aguero for this until he changed up his game, but Aguero has always been a far better footballer than Aubameyang who has a couple of elite level skillsets but is lacking in several areas. There's a reason a team like Arsenal who were outside of the CL were able to pick him up unchallenged.

Nobody is discrediting his goalscoring, he clearly bangs them in. He's a good finisher with world class movement and is one of the best in the world at getting in behind defences. Like I said, he's a slightly upgraded Gabonese Jamie Vardy but without the work rate off the ball. That isn't what a lot of the top sides want in a striker leading the line. His goalscoring is comparable with elite players, but not the rest of his game.

The time to pick him up would have been when he left Dortmund, now he'd cost more, would probably demand more in wages, and is a year older and now in his thirties. It would scream stupid, short term transfer for a player who will get you goals but is not some RvP level forward where you can ignore the age because he's pure class. And if there's any truth to this story whatsoever then you have to question why Arsenal would want rid of their top goalscorer only a season in to his contract, you get rid of players you don't want to increase a war chest, not a key man.
Auba is a victim of having tools other than scoring and his relative versatility. You will never play Laca as a wide attacker for example but you may try that with Auba. Though admittedly he is half the player when plays out wide, Auba.

I think United can do a lot with his off-the-ball movement and I will correct an impression here. Most of his scoring comes from his anticipation and relative speed not really the quality of service he gets. People even think that that's all about him. His movement also creates space for his teammates to exploit. I see that quite a bit in Arsenal games I'm able to catch.

I think Emery's main challenge is trying to fit all the biggest stars in one team which didn't work. He even tried to use Laca, Auba and Ozil together at a point but it wouldn't work before he dropped Ozil I think. At BVB Auba was the go to guy. He wasn't being played in and out of the team week in week out. Apart from a certain time when he kickwd up a fuss, I think he was their nailed on forward. He was excellent with Mikhi and I recall his time with Dembele. Those two tore europe a new one. I think there was a time that even man city under Pep were nailed on to sign him.

Maybe the problem is with the way he's played at Arsenal. In 15/16 he was Bundesliga player of the year and in 16/17 he was Bundesliga topscorer. Now he is paired up top with Laca today, tomorrow he is played on the left. How would he find consistency? If we sign Sancho I'd love us to have Auba because he benefits a lot from quality service from wide areas to maximize his off-the-ball movement and speed and so get on the end of goals the way he and Dembele combined. Even with all said he still scored 30% of Arsenal goals more than any player in the league.

If Arsenal know what they are doing they will sell Laca and look for a decent wide man to bring out the best in Auba instaed of moving him from pillar to post week in week out. By the way if they try to sell Laca they cannot generate more money than they could if they sell Auba despite the latter being younger so that talk that Laca is better is not correct.

Last edited:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Auba is a victim of having tools other than scoring and his relative versatility. You will never play Laca as a wide attacker for example but you may try that with Auba. Though admittedly he is half the player when plays out wide, Auba.

I think United can do a lot with his off-the-ball movement and I will correct an impression here. Most of his scoring comes from his anticipation and relative speed not really the quality of service he gets. People even think that that's all about him. His movement also creates space for his teammates to exploit. I see that quite a bit in Arsenal games I'm able to catch.

I think Emery's main challenge is trying to fit all the biggest stars in one team which didn't work. He even tried to use Laca, Auba and Ozil together at a point but it wouldn't work before he dropped Ozil I think. At BVB Auba was the go to guy. He wasn't being played in and out of the team week in week out. Apart from a certain time when he kickwd up a fuss, I think he was their nailed on forward. He was excellent with Mikhi and I recall his time with Dembele. Those two tore europe a new one. I think there was a time that even man city under Pep were nailed on to sign him.

Maybe the problem is with the way he's played at Arsenal. In 15/16 he was Bundesliga player of the year and in 16/17 he was Bundesliga topscorer. Now he is paired up top with Laca today, tomorrow he is played on the left. How would he find consistency? If we sign Sancho I'd love us to have Auba because he benefits a lot from quality service from wide areas to maximize his off-the-ball movement and speed and so get on the end of goals the way he and Dembele combined. Even with all said he still scored 30% of Arsenal goals more than any player in the league.

If Arsenal know what they are doing they will sell Laca and look for a decent wide man to bring out the best in Auba instaed of moving him from pillar to post week in week out. By the way if they try to sell Laca they cannot generate more money than they could if they sell Auba despite the latter being younger so that talk that Laca is better is not correct.
What tools other than scoring? He's quick. He's not good on the ball at all, clumsy dribbler, not a particularly good passer, no hold up play to speak of. He's not a good footballer aside from his abilities as a striker. He get played out wide because he's quick, nothing more or less .. and he's shit when he's there because he's not got particularly good technique other than shooting.

And yeah, I've said this multiple times. His movement off the ball is world class, some of the best around. He's great at finding pockets of space and exploiting that beyond his pace, he's a pretty old fashioned striker in that sense.

He's mostly started as a striker for Arsenal, and plenty of the time he's invisible. Again, a Gabonese Jamie Vardy. This stuff about constantly moving him out wide is overplayed. Whoscored has him playing a massive 9 games in wide positions, the rest as the central striker. Quite often he has Lacazette dropping deeper and offering him link up, you're acting like he's in this really unfair position at Arsenal when he really isn't. He gets tons of service at Arsenal but misses a lot of chances. Guess what? 23 big chances missed last season, more than any other player in the entire league. You're pretending like he doesn't get service when the one thing Arsenal can do pretty well is create chances.

If Arsenal start selling players to build a team around a 30 year old Aubameyang they will go nowhere.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
van persie was only a few months younger when we signed him!
Van Persie had one great season for you and then declined, he's not exactly a great example. He was worth it for the 20 odd mill you paid due to his contract running down, but paying 50m+ or whatever for Auba who is a lower class of forward entirely would be a much sillier move.

With some players you go for it regardless of age, Auba isn't in that category imo. He's not an Ibra or a Van Persie, generational great forwards with that touch of magic.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's clearly a decent goalscorer. But he's 30 and will want a big, probably quite long contract to tie himself over.

The likelihood is you might get a good season or two out of him (depending on whether he does a Sanchez) and then you're stuck with someone on a huge contract you can't budge.

I really don't think that is something you want.
Yeah, we'd never be able to agree a value with Arsenal that works for us.
Taking away a possible transfer for him, and just looking at him as a player, he's better than just a decent goalscorer.

Mark Pawelek

Daft. One year older than Ben Yedder, otherwise similar stats. Similar playing styles: fast, technical. Much like Martial, Rashford, and Greenwood!
Twice the price of Ben Yedder.

Bearded One

What tools other than scoring? He's quick. He's not good on the ball at all, clumsy dribbler, not a particularly good passer, no hold up play to speak of. He's not a good footballer aside from his abilities as a striker. He get played out wide because he's quick, nothing more or less .. and he's shit when he's there because he's not got particularly good technique other than shooting.

And yeah, I've said this multiple times. His movement off the ball is world class, some of the best around. He's great at finding pockets of space and exploiting that beyond his pace, he's a pretty old fashioned striker in that sense.

He's mostly started as a striker for Arsenal, and plenty of the time he's invisible. Again, a Gabonese Jamie Vardy. This stuff about constantly moving him out wide is overplayed. Whoscored has him playing a massive 9 games in wide positions, the rest as the central striker. Quite often he has Lacazette dropping deeper and offering him link up, you're acting like he's in this really unfair position at Arsenal when he really isn't. He gets tons of service at Arsenal but misses a lot of chances. Guess what? 23 big chances missed last season, more than any other player in the entire league. You're pretending like he doesn't get service when the one thing Arsenal can do pretty well is create chances.

If Arsenal start selling players to build a team around a 30 year old Aubameyang they will go nowhere.
You seem to only look at his games with Arsenal. As I said previously even though he is pants when he plays wide, he will get picked ahead of Laca for the wide position 9 times out of 10. But that's not the point because if he comes here, we don't expect that he will play wide. You seem to forget how he was playing for BVB when partnered with people that can genuinely make thing happen in wide forward areas.

Guess who was second in terms of big chances missed? Almighty Salah. Does he miss chances in loads? Yes but he scores for fun as well and if he is the sole focus of an attacking unit rather than having to share the role, give him a wide attacking ally and you will see the best of him. There was a time he and Dembele were europe's most lethal combo. I recall this vividly.

He may not be all things but what he does, he has the potential to do at an elite level. Arsenal for a couple of seasons has been al about trial and error. Just maybe Laca crowds out some of the space he would love to operate. I know Laca works hard for the team but he occupies really advanced positions a lot too. Arsenal basically use wing backs (mostly the young lad Mitland-Niles or so and Kolasinac) who have limited quality but have a dire lack of quality in wide forward areas which make them easy to contain the threat from the middle that Auba would normally pose. I am challenging any Arsenal fan on this board to tell me what they think the prospect would be in giving Auba a genuine lead role so that he can do what he can do to a world class degree with the right support from out wide.

Arsenal will be foolish to sell him an keep Laca. Well I pray they do so that we can see how well they can hold up with the great player that Lacazette is.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Great player and would immediately make us more dangerous going forward. However, the asking price might be too high.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You seem to only look at his games with Arsenal. As I said previously even though he is pants when he plays wide, he will get picked ahead of Laca for the wide position 9 times out of 10. But that's not the point because if he comes here, we don't expect that he will play wide. You seem to forget how he was playing for BVB when partnered with people that can genuinely make thing happen in wide forward areas.

Guess who was second in terms of big chances missed? Almighty Salah. Does he miss chances in loads? Yes but he scores for fun as well and if he is the sole focus of an attacking unit rather than having to share the role, give him a wide attacking ally and you will see the best of him. There was a time he and Dembele were europe's most lethal combo. I recall this vividly.

He may not be all things but what he does, he has the potential to do at an elite level. Arsenal for a couple of seasons has been al about trial and error. Just maybe Laca crowds out some of the space he would love to operate. I know Laca works hard for the team but he occupies really advanced positions a lot too. Arsenal basically use wing backs (mostly the young lad Mitland-Niles or so and Kolasinac) who have limited quality but have a dire lack of quality in wide forward areas which make them easy to contain the threat from the middle that Auba would normally pose. I am challenging any Arsenal fan on this board to tell me what they think the prospect would be in giving Auba a genuine lead role so that he can do what he can do to a world class degree with the right support from out wide.

Arsenal will be foolish to sell him an keep Laca. Well I pray they do so that we can see how well they can hold up with the great player that Lacazette is.
He's played wide a handful of times this season. Arsenal have decent attacking players and plenty gets created for him, more than would get created for him at United.

Uh, no. Salah missed 16 big chances and was 5th, Auba missed 23. Callum Wilson was second for big chances missed. And nobody is claiming Salah doesn't get enough created for him, he does .. but so does Auba, hence why he misses loads of chances and hence why he was able to score 22. Aubameyang gets more chances than most strikers in the entire league.

I think he's better than Lacazette, but only because Lacazette is a decent forward and nothing more. Auba is a tier 2 striker, a very good player but not a generational great and not a brilliant all round player. He'll guarantee you goals and is world class in certain areas, but he's not the player a top side should be breaking the bank for, or going all out to get. And he's now thirty, so he'd be a poor signing for a United side looking to build for the future .. big contract, big expense, little guarantee of great short term gain.

Bearded One

He's played wide a handful of times this season. Arsenal have decent attacking players and plenty gets created for him, more than would get created for him at United.

Uh, no. Salah missed 16 big chances and was 5th, Auba missed 23. Callum Wilson was second for big chances missed. And nobody is claiming Salah doesn't get enough created for him, he does .. but so does Auba, hence why he misses loads of chances and hence why he was able to score 22. Aubameyang gets more chances than most strikers in the entire league.

I think he's better than Lacazette, but only because Lacazette is a decent forward and nothing more. Auba is a tier 2 striker, a very good player but not a generational great and not a brilliant all round player. He'll guarantee you goals and is world class in certain areas, but he's not the player a top side should be breaking the bank for, or going all out to get. And he's now thirty, so he'd be a poor signing for a United side looking to build for the future .. big contract, big expense, little guarantee of great short term gain.
Decent attacking players yes but decent wide forwards, zero. No serious team would count on the quality of a Mitland-Niles to get you over in wide attacking areas (no disrespect). He thrives with his ability to read the game and find spaces to enter into but that threat is easily negated when your there is limited threat in your eide areas and that's why I'm saying that Arsenal aren't using him properly. You can't be BuLi player of the season this year and BuLi top scorer next year without having some serious title-defining quality about you.

Personally I'd rather we went for a younger and more complete forward. I know this would cost a lot but I'd be very happy if it was him we got an in fact wht brought up this whole argument was my stance that had we gotten him (28 years then) instead of Lukaku when the trio of him, Lukaku and Morata were around there might not have been the need to be having discussions around getting him now.

We all cite Sanchez but as bad market but I guess Pep was a fool when he chased him even at that age before we cashed in.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Decent attacking players yes but decent wide forwards, zero. No serious team would count on the quality of a Mitland-Niles to get you over in wide attacking areas (no disrespect). He thrives with his ability to read the game and find spaces to enter into but that threat is easily negated when your there is limited threat in your eide areas and that's why I'm saying that Arsenal aren't using him properly. You can't be BuLi player of the season this year and BuLi top scorer next year without having some serious title-defining quality about you.

Personally I'd rather we went for a younger and more complete forward. I know this would cost a lot but I'd be very happy if it was him we got an in fact wht brought up this whole argument was my stance that had we gotten him (28 years then) instead of Lukaku when the trio of him, Lukaku and Morata were around there might not have been the need to be having discussions around getting him now.

We all cite Sanchez but as bad market but I guess Pep was a fool when he chased him even at that age before we cashed in.
Ok but he's missed more key chances than anyone, chances are being made for him. It's not like he's a forward struggling to get shots away. Not using him properly? How? He's a striker getting service, missing more chances than anyone else, scoring 22 goals, on penalty duty. What the feck has to be done for this man? The truth is he's no longer in the Bundesliga, the Prem is a slight step up and so he scores slightly less goals. No other excuses.

And yes, getting him when he was 28 would have been a decent move, would have been for a decent price. Getting him off a rival now would mean insane money. Pep has made bad transfers in the past and will do in the future, the fact he was chasing Sanchez doesn't mean much to me, he was also chasing the likes of Fred and Jorginho. Sanchez didn't look right during his last season at Arsenal at all but people made the excuses about how he didn't really want to be there etc, when really the decline had set in.

Bearded One

Ok but he's missed more key chances than anyone, chances are being made for him. It's not like he's a forward struggling to get shots away. Not using him properly? How? He's a striker getting service, missing more chances than anyone else, scoring 22 goals, on penalty duty. What the feck has to be done for this man? The truth is he's no longer in the Bundesliga, the Prem is a slight step up and so he scores slightly less goals. No other excuses.

And yes, getting him when he was 28 would have been a decent move, would have been for a decent price. Getting him off a rival now would mean insane money. Pep has made bad transfers in the past and will do in the future, the fact he was chasing Sanchez doesn't mean much to me, he was also chasing the likes of Fred and Jorginho. Sanchez didn't look right during his last season at Arsenal at all but people made the excuses about how he didn't really want to be there etc, when really the decline had set in.
He scored 22 goals nonetheless and not one player in the mighty epl scored more than him and he has always missed chances. No you wouldn't compare the quality of chances created by a City team for the likes of Aguero their constant CF yet he outscored him playing varied roles from the role of central attacker in a double attack or left/right attacker in a forward 3 without proper wingers. And no, the chances he missed speaks more of his ability to get into positions of opportunity to score more than the quality of service he gets. I'm sure you wouldn't compare Arsenal to City in this respect.

I'd say again if you give him proper winger(s) and you trust him as your center forward (not one of those variants of the attacking roles) you will see the Aubameyang of BVB that the much reverred Pep was on record to have been this close to signing. If he has world class potential in scoring goals, a crucial aspect of winning titles, why would anyone play him elsewhere?

Wherever he ends up playing next season, the managers will do themselves a world of good if they geniunely make him the focus of their attack with genuine quality in wide areas rather than play him everywhere and hope for the best. This guy along with Dembele terorrized europe for a considerable period.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
He scored 22 goals nonetheless and not one player in the mighty epl scored more than him and he has always missed chances. No you wouldn't compare the quality of chances created by a City team for the likes of Aguero their constant CF yet he outscored him playing varied roles from the role of central attacker in a double attack or left/right attacker in a forward 3 without proper wingers. And no, the chances he missed speaks more of his ability to get into positions of opportunity to score more than the quality of service he gets. I'm sure you wouldn't compare Arsenal to City in this respect.

I'd say again if you give him proper winger(s) and you trust him as your center forward (not one of those variants of the attacking roles) you will see the Aubameyang of BVB that the much reverred Pep was on record to have been this close to signing. If he has world class potential in scoring goals, a crucial aspect of winning titles, why would anyone play him elsewhere?

Wherever he ends up playing next season, the managers will do themselves a world of good if they geniunely make him the focus of their attack with genuine quality in wide areas rather than play him everywhere and hope for the best. This guy along with Dembele terorrized europe for a considerable period.

Uh, they're big chances missed. Meaning they are quality chances. So yes I'll compare them. And it was a poor year for the golden boot with multiple players ending up on the same goals and the top two strikers by far (and the only Elite ones) in Aguero/Kane suffering injuries and missing large parts of the season. In 17/18 you had two players (Salah and Kane) on 32 and 20 respectively. And regardless, he's a great goalscorer, again nobody denies this .. it's just other players score the same or more, whilst doing far more for their team during the 90. And yes if he's getting loads of key chances you have to credit the service, Arsenal have plenty of players who are creative.

He's been trusted as the out and out CF 95% of the time at Arsenal. Whenever I watch them play he's down the middle with Lacazette mostly playing deeper, which drags defenders out of position for him. He plays in an attacking side in a 2 striker formation and you're acting like the system is shit just because Arsenal don't play with traditional wide men. He can score goals but he can't hold the ball up, he's technically limited, he can't pass, he doesn't bring his teammates in to play much .. the elite sides at the very top need that kind of player, Aubameyang has never played for an elite side and likely never will. So in one year he might score more than Lewa, more than Kane, but any team in their right mind would choose those players over him.

Pep being linked to signing a player means nothing to me really. It could have been pure paper talk, it could have been he wanted him as a squad option, who knows? He's a good goalscorer and I put him in the 2nd tier of strikers, it's not like I'm saying he's a pile of shit.

Terrorized Europe :lol:. The furthest those two went in Europe was the quarter finals. He was a great striker in Germany playing as the focal point of a very bright, attacking side where the likes of Mkhi and Kagawa also put up insane numbers, and has been a very good goalscorer in England. Again though, there's a reason this worldie of a striker ended up at an in crisis Arsenal, whilst Dembele basically just sits and sulks at Barcelona.

BelfastBoy11

Nay for me. Mans 30 years of age and at £45m there’s no value there at all, he’d be decent for a season max.

We need to be scouting and signing the next Aubameyang, not filling the pension pot of the current one. United shouldn’t become the cash cow of the almost retired.

Sanchez a case in point.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
£45m is today's £20m. If we were sure he's got 2 good years in him it would've been worth it but I won't trust our judgement given the washed up cnuts we've signed in recent times. He's not Van Persie and we don't have Fergie at the helm anyway.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
The only argument is that, on paper, he does fit the profile of a striker we need for Ole's system I guess.

Bearded One

Uh, they're big chances missed. Meaning they are quality chances. So yes I'll compare them. And it was a poor year for the golden boot with multiple players ending up on the same goals and the top two strikers by far (and the only Elite ones) in Aguero/Kane suffering injuries and missing large parts of the season. In 17/18 you had two players (Salah and Kane) on 32 and 20 respectively. And regardless, he's a great goalscorer, again nobody denies this .. it's just other players score the same or more, whilst doing far more for their team during the 90. And yes if he's getting loads of key chances you have to credit the service, Arsenal have plenty of players who are creative.

He's been trusted as the out and out CF 95% of the time at Arsenal. Whenever I watch them play he's down the middle with Lacazette mostly playing deeper, which drags defenders out of position for him. He plays in an attacking side in a 2 striker formation and you're acting like the system is shit just because Arsenal don't play with traditional wide men. He can score goals but he can't hold the ball up, he's technically limited, he can't pass, he doesn't bring his teammates in to play much .. the elite sides at the very top need that kind of player, Aubameyang has never played for an elite side and likely never will. So in one year he might score more than Lewa, more than Kane, but any team in their right mind would choose those players over him.

Pep being linked to signing a player means nothing to me really. It could have been pure paper talk, it could have been he wanted him as a squad option, who knows? He's a good goalscorer and I put him in the 2nd tier of strikers, it's not like I'm saying he's a pile of shit.

Terrorized Europe :lol:. The furthest those two went in Europe was the quarter finals. He was a great striker in Germany playing as the focal point of a very bright, attacking side where the likes of Mkhi and Kagawa also put up insane numbers, and has been a very good goalscorer in England. Again though, there's a reason this worldie of a striker ended up at an in crisis Arsenal, whilst Dembele basically just sits and sulks at Barcelona.
It was a poor year for the golden boot but somehow you seem to make it look like it was bad for the big stars and good for Auba. They played in the same conditions so maybe the level of the very best in the epl this season was 20ish goals. That was the level. Aguero played just 3 less games than him, has the luxury of world class service better than Auba's all over the pitch, played always as the CF (way more than PEA) yet scored less than him so I will never agree to any attempt to downplay those achievements.

Don't take my word for it but I want you to take a sample of 5-6 games that Laca and Auba played in the same starting lineup and look up the heatmaps of both players on whoscored.com and you'd see that both players roam around attacking areas from wide positions to deep positions. You'll see that very clearly that there is no semblance of a target man in these heatmaps. You probably have a narrative about Auba and so you're trying to sell the idea that whenever both start, Auba plays CF and Laca plays everywhere else. I wouldn't take your word for it and I don't expect you to do so to mine.

This is not same as playing him in a system that suit his strengths as I have mentioned in previous posts. Just maybe Emery overthinks his role. What do you expect to get out of him having him run around like a headless chicken? Make him the focus of your attack and give him genuine wide service and see what he can do. I don't see why he should be anything other than the focal point of the team's attack if that's where his strength that borders on world class lies. In europe's top five leagues couple of seasons ago I recall that he and Dembele had the highest combined goals and assists. They were simply a goal converting machine. I wouldn't read too much into Dembele's below par performances given that he's still settling in a new league and has himself had injuries to contend with.

I'll tell you why he ended up in crisis Arsenal as you call it. Chelsea were too intelligent to get him but chose Morata after failing to get Lukaku that we "cleverly" took off their hands but now aren't satisfied about. Two funny points: One, there are reports today (true or not) that we consider the same "limited" Auba an option to replace the young and promising Lukaku. Two, couple of years ago, I couldn't get myself to understand why we passed up the opportunity and signed Lukaku instead and I got told that Auba was too old. So the answer to why he ended up at crisis Arsenal is because Chelsea and United were "too clever" to sign him. I'm sure they don't regret their actions with Morata now in Atletico and I'm sure we don't regret it too if the reports that we consider the same player plus two years is worthy of our consideration, are anything to go by. Meanwhile the guy has his hands on the golden boot trophy and whilst there are reports that Arsenal may cash in, these are still reports. Fact as of today is PEA is the current holder of the golden boot which you would even admit is no easy feat.

He's got to do better with the opportunities he creates for himself by reason of his movement though. On that one I can easily agree with you. If some of his contemporaries could create that much opportunity for themselves the way he does though, they'd have the chance to score more goals than they currently do.

Last edited:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It was a poor year for the golden boot but somehow you seem to make it look like it was bad for the big stars and good for Auba. They played in the same conditions so maybe the level of the very best in the epl this season was 20ish goals. That was the level. Aguero played just 3 less games than him, has the luxury of world class service better than Auba's all over the pitch, played always as the CF (way more than PEA) yet scored less than him so I will never agree to any attempt to downplay those achievements.

Don't take my word for it but I want you to take a sample of 5-6 games that Laca and Auba played in the same starting lineup and look up the heatmaps of both players on whoscored.com and you'd see that both players roam around attacking areas from wide positions to deep positions. You'll see that very clearly that there is no semblance of a target man in these heatmaps. You probably have a narrative about Auba and so you're trying to sell the idea that whenever both start, Auba plays CF and Laca plays everywhere else. I wouldn't take your word for it and I don't expect you to do so to mine.

This is not same as playing him in a system that suit his strengths as I have mentioned in previous posts. Just maybe Emery overthinks his role. What do you expect to get out of him having him run around like a headless chicken? Make him the focus of your attack and give him genuine wide service and see what he can do. I don't see why he should be anything other than the focal point of the team's attack if that's where his strength that borders on world class lies. In europe's top five leagues couple of seasons ago I recall that he and Dembele had the highest combined goals and assists. They were simply a goal converting machine. I wouldn't read too much into Dembele's below par performances given that he's still settling in a new league and has himself had injuries to contend with.

I'll tell you why he ended up in crisis Arsenal as you call it. Chelsea were too intelligent to get him but chose Morata after failing to get Lukaku that we "cleverly" took off their hands but now aren't satisfied about. Two funny points: One, there are reports today (true or not) that we consider the same "limited" Auba an option to replace the young and promising Lukaku. Two, couple of years ago, I couldn't get myself to understand why we passed up the opportunity and signed Lukaku instead and I got told that Auba was too old. So the answer to why he ended up at crisis Arsenal is because Chelsea and United were "too clever" to sign him. I'm sure they don't regret their actions with Morata now in Atletico and I'm sure we don't regret it too if the reports that we consider the same player plus two years is worthy of our consideration, are anything to go by. Meanwhile the guy has his hands on the golden boot trophy and whilst there are reports that Arsenal may cash in, these are still reports. Fact as of today is PEA is the current holder of the golden boot which you would even admit is no easy feat.

He's got to do better with the opportunities he creates for himself by reason of his movement though. On that one I can easily agree with you. If some of his contemporaries could create that much opportunity for themselves the way he does though, they'd have the chance to score more goals than they currently do.

Goalscoring wise he's as good as other top scorers, the thing is Aguero is so much better than him on the ball and in general play that it's not even a competition. That's the only thing he is elite at - scoring goals, which is enough for most teams as a forward, but not all. He's basically a quick Mario Gomez type of player, he will guarantee you goals and will pop up in great areas, but he's not a great footballer. He isn't a Kane type who can hold it up, bring teammates in to play, spray passes all over the place, and he's not an Aguero type who can dribble and bully his way through teams with that low centre of gravity. He's a quick poacher with excellent movement, a fox in the box.

Very few teams play with a forward who doesn't roam a little, heck even Kane pops up in wide areas sometimes, City's front 3 is incredibly fluid.

I really don't think you can say 'play to his strengths' when he's a striker who is missing more big chances than anyone else. You're acting like he's in a similar position to Lukaku where chances just aren't being created, they are, he gets really good chances every game. Yeah ok maybe he would prefer more wide service coming in, but any striker who needs a team tailored precisely to his needs is not a great striker. He gets service, he plays in a decent attacking side, and he's one of the most wasteful players in the PL despite his 22 goal tally.

Auba would do little better at United than Lukaku. They both have very good movement (Auba's is better, to be fair) but will need the team to create, United right now don't create enough for your striker. People pissed off at Lukaku's lack of a first touch would be equally pissed off at Auba going missing every other game and not getting involved in play. He'd score more and have less laughable moments, but he wouldn't be a revelation. And being better than Lukaku and Morata is hardly a huge boast, the facts are that he was available and only really Arsenal were interested. If Kane or Aguero were on the market tomorrow, nearly every elite side would be putting in bids.

He has the golden boot but like .. he was joint with two other players and Salah had more assists, so it's not like he was the clear best goalscorer. And no, it's no easy feat, he's a very good goalscorer but the PL has seen plenty of great goalscorers who elite clubs wouldn't touch. Vardy is a great goalscorer but he will stay at Leicester because despite brilliant off the ball movement and being a lethal finisher, his all round game isn't polished enough.

I don't have any agenda with him, he's a great striker, one of the best in the league. I just don't think he's a 'must go out and buy' kind of player when he's thirty. He's probably the third best out and out striker in the league after Kane and Aguero (the only two elite ones in the PL) if you don't count the likes of Salah as proper strikers.

Bearded One

Goalscoring wise he's as good as other top scorers, the thing is Aguero is so much better than him on the ball and in general play that it's not even a competition. That's the only thing he is elite at - scoring goals, which is enough for most teams as a forward, but not all. He's basically a quick Mario Gomez type of player, he will guarantee you goals and will pop up in great areas, but he's not a great footballer. He isn't a Kane type who can hold it up, bring teammates in to play, spray passes all over the place, and he's not an Aguero type who can dribble and bully his way through teams with that low centre of gravity. He's a quick poacher with excellent movement, a fox in the box.

Very few teams play with a forward who doesn't roam a little, heck even Kane pops up in wide areas sometimes, City's front 3 is incredibly fluid.

I really don't think you can say 'play to his strengths' when he's a striker who is missing more big chances than anyone else. You're acting like he's in a similar position to Lukaku where chances just aren't being created, they are, he gets really good chances every game. Yeah ok maybe he would prefer more wide service coming in, but any striker who needs a team tailored precisely to his needs is not a great striker. He gets service, he plays in a decent attacking side, and he's one of the most wasteful players in the PL despite his 22 goal tally.

Auba would do little better at United than Lukaku. They both have very good movement (Auba's is better, to be fair) but will need the team to create, United right now don't create enough for your striker. People pissed off at Lukaku's lack of a first touch would be equally pissed off at Auba going missing every other game and not getting involved in play. He'd score more and have less laughable moments, but he wouldn't be a revelation. And being better than Lukaku and Morata is hardly a huge boast, the facts are that he was available and only really Arsenal were interested. If Kane or Aguero were on the market tomorrow, nearly every elite side would be putting in bids.

He has the golden boot but like .. he was joint with two other players and Salah had more assists, so it's not like he was the clear best goalscorer. And no, it's no easy feat, he's a very good goalscorer but the PL has seen plenty of great goalscorers who elite clubs wouldn't touch. Vardy is a great goalscorer but he will stay at Leicester because despite brilliant off the ball movement and being a lethal finisher, his all round game isn't polished enough.

I don't have any agenda with him, he's a great striker, one of the best in the league. I just don't think he's a 'must go out and buy' kind of player when he's thirty. He's probably the third best out and out striker in the league after Kane and Aguero (the only two elite ones in the PL) if you don't count the likes of Salah as proper strikers.
I think the idea of mentioning his name side by side the current elite in the premiership is because I think you are trying hard to discredit him or put differently you are trying to put a negative light to what he does well with statements like "even though he scored the same number as Salah and Aguero and the likes, these players dropped a level and that's why he is mentioned alongside these players in goal scoring" (paraphrased). I have never put Auba in the same bracket as these players. Just highlighting that there is no mystery to him rubbing shoulders with these guys in goal scoring. He has constitently done it in BuLi, got 10 goals and 4 assists in 13 games in his first season in the premier league and continues to this day.

Even with his many missed chances he still scores a lot. It tells you how much more he can be because he has a knack for creating opportunities for himself. Players influence games in all manner of ways. Some can hold up the ball (Auba is no slouch here too), dribble, etc but if they post average numbers, no one really takes notice. Salah for example was nothing special even with his strength, dribbling and ability on the ball until he found his scoring touch. I remember he used to get to the end of chances a lot with his quickness and I remember that he used to fluff those chances lot. Once he sorted that out eliteness ensued. Being a fox in the box is a skill, scoring goals is another skill. Someone like Chicharito used to do the former for us but his numbers weren't all that. Even Morata has very good technique and is very good footbller but as a forward you must deliver your numbers else you don't get a look in. Only few forwards are very well rounded in terms of general play and output.

I have mentioned that I wouldn't have a 30 year old as my first choice but if the options are few and far between, he's not a bad shout. We are in precarious situation now with no champions league football and years of bad performances putting us in a bad light in the eyes of some so its needless to be chasing an Mbappe for example. At least my position last couple of years about Auba being thw better option than a Morata of whom it was said he is a better footballer is being vindicated somewhat. People like new names and shiny new toys I know but with the right partnership we can create a goal scoring machine with his service which will go a very long way. And ths is apart from the fact that I still insist that his strengths are not being maximized by Emery.

I hear different names mooted. With Jovic gone there aren't too many names around. I hear Piatek mentioned quite a bit but I'm not sold on him personally and so Auba wouldn't be a bad shout at all. As a side note I just saw that Liverpool could be sniffing around for Auba. I bet you if Klopp gets his hands on that boy, I think you will understand what I'm talking about.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
For the money no.

The only reason we are looking at say Alderweireld who is also 30+is simply because of the cost. If you could pick up PEA for 26mil sure it would be worth the investment. But it will be more in the region of 50+mil, and for that money, surly there are better options out there we could be pursuing.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So I've just read that the primary reason for selling Aubameyang is to fund the move for Zaha, I'd be seriously questioning Emery as a manager (more than I already do) if he really see's that as a way of progressing his side

haram

So I've just read that the primary reason for selling Aubameyang is to fund the move for Zaha, I'd be seriously questioning Emery as a manager (more than I already do) if he really see's that as a way of progressing his side
They need width.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Don't see why people keep bagging on Zaha. He's a good player.

He's been carrying Palace on his back for ages, if he can do that at a worse team he'd only do more at Arsenal.

Not many wingers out there right now that can beat people as easily as Zaha can, and his end product is definitely better.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
They need width.
More than they need Aubameyang's goals? He was their top scorer last season a good 12 goals clear of their next highest scorer

Honestly I dont see what Zaha will offer them that Iwobi doesn't already

haram

More than they need Aubameyang's goals? He was their top scorer last season a good 12 goals clear of their next highest scorer

Honestly I dont see what Zaha will offer them that Iwobi doesn't already
Well it's just speculation that they would sell Auba for Zaha. Lacazette won player of the year last season despite Auba's goals because he offers more all round. Zaha is far better than Iwobi...

Bearded One

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1214151

Please open the above link, do yourself a favour and have a good read. Many of the comments in the article are consistent with points I have made in my previous posts about Auba.

I will highlight some thing mentioned in the write up as follows:

1. "In what has been a transitional campaign for Arsenal it has not been an easy ride for the 29-year-old. Unlike the other leading scorers in the division, he has featured in a range of different formations. With no consistent pattern of play or defined individual role, it has been harder for Aubameyang to settle into a rhythm. Unai Emery has used him wide, as a partner for Alexandre Lacazette, in a lone striker role and as an impact substitute. Yet despite those changing remits, Aubameyang has consistently found the back of the net, scoring a goal every 132 minutes. Of the top five leading PL scorers, only Sergio Aguero can better that return."

2. "The Gunners are ranked seventh for most chances created, behind the top four clubs, Manchester United and Leicester City. This means Aubameyang has had to be efficient to challenge the top of the goalscoring charts."
My God, I didn't even know that Leicester City created more chances than Arsenal at this stage of the season at least but @SquishyMcSquish would have you believe otherwise.

3. As he spends much of his time linking play from wide areas, Aubameyang’s touch count inside the opposition penalty area of 130 is also low.
Admittedly I do not catch enough of Arsenal games as I'd love to but anyone who watched him at BVB would quickly recognize that Emery is overthinking Auba's role in the team.

4. "Part of the issue (of his missing of chances) may be his one-footed nature. Eighteen of his 20 goals have come from his right foot, and none with his head. But Aubameyang also boasts the best chance-conversion rate of the top five scorers, scoring 30 per cent of his efforts."

5. if Arsenal improve as a creative force next season, do not be surprised if he is leading the charge in 2019/20.

I made this point repeatedly yesterday but got shut down multiple times.

Man United fans don't want to take a hit in the transfer market but want to have sufficient quality to challenge for the title or come close to doing that. I shake my head at those that scoff at the idea of having him lead the line reasonably not the one where Emery makes a guinea pig of him with constant experiments. I can live with Rashord, Lukaku, Martial and Sanchez given opportunities in the lead striker role but Auba clearly takes us another level compared with the aforementioned and if properly supported, could give us a goal scoring formula that would be pretty difficult, I mean difficult to best.

I also shake my head at Arsenal fans that entertain the idea of selling Auba and having Laca as a sole striker (and perhaps getting a Zaha with the available funds). I'd just put it to a lack of knowledge of what a treasure they have in Auba. Its laughable to be honest.

Bearded One

Laughable isn't it? I'll tell you what would happen should Arsenal make that move. They will probably improve their chance creation but suddenly find out that they are struggling to find the back of the goal. In a year to two they'd be back in the market for a striker.

Personally I haven't confirmed the information that they consider Laca their POTY but even if it is true, I wouldn't read much into it (and I by no means doubt the info) because it speaks a lot about their judgement, the level quality in the squad and inability to put what they have to full use.

If I have an attacker that contributes 30% of my team goals, I want to give him the opportunity to score goals and I'd want to actively help him to score those goals. I won't be merely 'accomodating' him in the team.

SAFMUTD

We are supposedly trying to build a competitive squad for the future, no point in buying a 30 year old player that can’t by himself take us to the next level. Better spend that money on a promising player with more than 2-3 top years left in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.