Auction Draft QF : EAP vs. Don Alfredo/Enigma

Who will win this match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Two points stand out in that for me. First, the notion of Mackay being a limited defensive player, doesn't really ring true when the reporter at the time suggests he could have been pushed into attack to influence the game even more.
Agreed with this, his quick and sharp passing did tend to remind me of Keano as times, and he was quite nippy on the ball for someone who was famed for his defensive prowess.

Fantastic all round display for the historic double winning Spurs side. A complete dynamo, with aggressive ball-winning, astute positioning and excellent passing to boot.

An immense Keano-esque display in the 1962 FA Cup Final. Repelled just about everything thrown at him and hardly put a foot wrong on the ball with his no-frills and excellent passing, with some neat one-twos and crosses.

Footage quality isn't too great which is understandable.
/QUOTE]

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I agree with @Moby. I think you've been massively overrating Mackay recently.

There are many names you are neglecting in your tiers that are above Mackay in that position.
Obdulio Varela, Goncalves, Zito, Clodoaldo, Mauro Silva, Dunga, Cerezo (in his holding mid early era), Gilberto Silva, John McGovern, Stielike, Mascherano, Monti, Andrade (the uncle), Deschamps, Voronin, Petit, Busquets, Romeo Benetti, Dino Baggio, Nobby Stiles, Gattuso, Souness, Kante

All of the names I mentioned are at least even to Mackay if not superior. Also many would be far better in different tactics than Mackey
Side-stepping the wider debate but @Šjor Bepo will testify that I've been on a massive, borderline bizarre, Dunga kick lately. I saw plenty of him when he was still playing so I don't quite know why I'd leave it this long to start appreciating him more but that's draft life I guess :lol:

That's just a superb performance on the biggest stage, with much more progressive and creative passing than he's typically given credit for. In fact, even though I rate Mauro Silva highly, I wonder if Dunga wouldn't be a better fit at the base of that Xaviesta midfield. He'd have the discipline to sit in the holding role all match long, and he's that notch above in terms of quality on the ball while also being an outstanding ball winner.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Agreed with this, his quick and sharp passing did tend to remind me of Keano as times, and he was quite nippy on the ball for someone who was famed for his defensive prowess.
I don't know, it seems like selective sampling. And that Burnley side was okay but not good for all time. No really great players. Unlike for instance John McGovern's performance against Hamburg in the 1980 European Final.

Or Mascherano against Holland in 2014 that includes this world class tackle against Robben

Cerezo against Internacional in 1980 when Mineiro won the Brasileiro

Dunga in the World Cup Final

Gilberto Silva during an outstanding season

Kante for Caen against a better Marseille side

I just don't really see the evidence to rate Mackay above all these other great players. (I realize it was Pillow not you that made that claim so I don't mean to attribute that view to you just the video response )

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Side-stepping the wider debate but @Šjor Bepo will testify that I've been on a massive, borderline bizarre, Dunga kick lately. I saw plenty of him when he was still playing so I don't quite know why I'd leave it this long to start appreciating him more but that's draft life I guess :lol:

That's just a superb performance on the biggest stage, with much more progressive and creative passing than he's typically given credit for. In fact, even though I rate Mauro Silva highly, I wonder if Dunga wouldn't be a better fit at the base of that Xaviesta midfield. He'd have the discipline to sit in the holding role all match long, and he's that notch above in terms of quality on the ball while also being an outstanding ball winner.
I had a pretty high regard for Dunga (and Deschamps) before I started playing Caf drafts, I was quite surprised and dismayed they both had pretty poor reputations on here, I hope they can get picked more in future drafts as they should be rated much higher.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

was brilliant in the game against Argentina i watched the other day, in fact the whole Brazilian side was amazing bar some guy Silos or Silas, something like that....

Pat_Mustard

@Pat_Mustard ah you ninja'd me on Dunga as I was writing haha
:lol: What's the fecking odds on a Dunga all-touches video getting double-posted in a draft match he wasn't even featured in?

I had a pretty high regard for Dunga (and Deschamps) before I started playing Caf drafts, I was quite surprised and dismayed they both had pretty poor reputations on here, I hope they can get picked more in future drafts as they should be rated much higher.
Dunga is just a 'team of the draft' type of player waiting to happen some time in the future imo. Funny enough I was going to badmouth Deschamps in that post by saying that Dunga's passing was far more creative but it seemed like poor form to bring him into it just to praise Dunga in comparison :nervous:

Pat_Mustard

was brilliant in the game against Argentina i watched the other day, in fact the whole Brazilian side was amazing bar some guy Silos or Silas, something like that....
Aye, if it's the one you made the Romario video from I watched some of that match recently (either highlights or some shamefully abandoned all-touches video) and he was class :drool:.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I predict one of three replies from @Ecstatic (one of my favorite posters)

A) A tonne of formation graphics to illustrate his points from random matches across history at least one of which will be a Pele match

B) An explanation filled with abstract analogies to 1980s movies, the price of Tulips in Taiwan, some unknown French player with nice hair and the cultural practices of Dutch naming conventions

C) A brief cliffhanger summary along with enigmatic hints to explain later when voting is closed

:wenger:

I'm hoping on B for this one
Cheers :D

Challenge accepted: I will try B.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
CRUYJFF IS LIKE REYNALD PEDROS: NO MOON WITHOUT A SUN

They are ever-moving and you need to ensure there is always somebody in the penalty area to finish chances

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Figo is worlds apart from Garrincha stylistically, but it's not a surprise coming out of you, considering you aren't really familiar with other player styles and claim nonsense like it's a fact. :rolleyes:
Translation:

Scarface 1983

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
After that EAP replied with gifs

QUOTE="Edgar Allan Pillow, post: 23734050, member: 57041"]Don't have access to YT at work, so have to do with GIFs:

Charlton making runs from the deep:

[/QUOTE]

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
A lot of things to say about that game but later!

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I've picked him a lot recently and might have to do with the recent overrating so to speak.

I rate him a lot. He's a proper footballer and could be a hard man, distribute the play and generally he'd comfortably at the same level like Bremner and others of that era.

From that list, Petit has no place there, as well as Dino Baggio, Gattuso and Benetti. I'd take him before Stiles, Kante, McGovern, Cerezo and Mascherano, whilst can't really rate Andrade, due to the era.

That is correct. I feel Xavi and Iniesta don't get their proper dues in drafts and one of the main reason why we went with them and this set up. Both at 160m or so is ridiculous considering that they both have a regular claim to be one of the best midfielders of all time. Mackay won't back down and will give a proper punch, but against the very elite tier of midfielders he falls short, let alone the combination of both. I agree with all you said above, although of course I'd have him as a much better version of Wise though.
I disagree. It's not as if they costed the price of Taiwanese tulips.

I mean 70 millions for each of them is a high price and a player like Greaves has been valued at 30 millions :rolleyes:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Team Enigma is a bit like the Maastricht Treaty.

At first sight, all the members a common DNA and destiny and they should be able to produce something harmonious around these Barcelona values but it's hard not look at the obvious conflict of interests in the North-West: Iniesta/Rivaldo/Cruyjff are rival as concerns as controlling the game there.

Enigma_87

You know who
I disagree. It's not as if they costed the price of Taiwanese tulips.

I mean 70 millions for each of them is a high price and a player like Greaves has been valued at 30 millions :rolleyes:
Well, IMO they should be rated around 100m. One of the best midfielders ever. For Greaves I certainly agree and he's well underrated at that price.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
They seem good buys at 70 mn a pop each because they are paired together into a Xaviesta system as always. Other wise, they would have been considered par. Till someone can pull off a great draft performance without pairing them...100 mn is a distant dream for either of them.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Well, IMO they should be rated around 100m. One of the best midfielders ever. For Greaves I certainly agree and he's well underrated at that price.
70m or 100m it's the same :D

I mean that in the real life, scorers are always more expensive.

I think Signori is more rated than Greaves here!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think Signori is more rated than Greaves here!
I doubt it. Even though Greaves is not picked as often as he should be, hardly anyone questions him when the game is on.