Australian Open 2012

Agent Red

Federer is an awful loser.
He was talking about Federer.
Ah I see, just wanted to check. Wasn't sure if he meant Murray, but couldn't recall any Murray press conferences of that nature.

Yes, it was really bad. Really disrespectful to Djokovic and that line about how he should have been in the winner's conference was just absurd. I've noticed a lot of journalists turning against him since then, notably Caroline Cheese who has tweeted some quite funny stuff about him and his arrogance.

That was just one example of his arrogance, he is always like that. Those tears when he first lost to Rafa in Aus a few years ago were self-indulgent I felt, and even when he wins he lacks humility, the gold embroidered blazer being the real low point.

He's always had ridiculous excuses as well. Like the weather or Rafa being left-handed etc. I've got no time for him. He's a great player, I can't deny that, but I don't think much of him as an individual, nor do I think his records are untouchable, though it'll be tricky for Djokovic and Nadal to overtake him if they keep sharing the spoils.

Ixion

Do we know if the top 4 guys will be playing at the Olympics this year. Djokovic potentially on for a golden slam.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Fantastic match between two superb players. Rafa is the anti-Dalglish.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Ah I see, just wanted to check. Wasn't sure if he meant Murray, but couldn't recall any Murray press conferences of that nature.

Yes, it was really bad. Really disrespectful to Djokovic and that line about how he should have been in the winner's conference was just absurd. I've noticed a lot of journalists turning against him since then, notably Caroline Cheese who has tweeted some quite funny stuff about him and his arrogance.

That was just one example of his arrogance, he is always like that. Those tears when he first lost to Rafa in Aus a few years ago were self-indulgent I felt, and even when he wins he lacks humility, the gold embroidered blazer being the real low point.

He's always had ridiculous excuses as well. Like the weather or Rafa being left-handed etc. I've got no time for him. He's a great player, I can't deny that, but I don't think much of him as an individual, nor do I think his records are untouchable, though it'll be tricky for Djokovic and Nadal to overtake him if they keep sharing the spoils.
Nadal would have most definitely overtaken him if not for Djoko. But then I guess Federer would say the same about Nadal stopping him for winning another 5 or so slams. It is massive shame Nadal and Novak did not break in two years earlier. Fed picked up too many easy slams against garbage like Hewitt and Roddick

Ixion

Amazing to think Nadal has lost to him in 3 Slam finals the past year and if he had won those 3 matches he'd be only 1 slam behind Sampras.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Amazing to think Nadal has lost to him in 3 Slam finals the past year and if he had won those 3 matches he'd be only 1 slam behind Sampras.
If we are talking about 'ifs' then Sampras won't be at 14 and Nadal won't be at 10.

Hitchcocker

Do we know if the top 4 guys will be playing at the Olympics this year. Djokovic potentially on for a golden slam.
Can't see any reason why not? I hope Nadal can do something at Roland Garros at the very least. Given up hope against Djokovic on any other surface.

Fantastic match between two superb players. Rafa is the anti-Dalglish.
:confused:

Can't understand why a lot of you don't like Djokovic. He's got an absolutely fantastic personality. Has a brilliant sense of humour and as a tennis player is an absolute joy to watch
Nothing against him apart from the fact he's stealing Nadal's limelight!

It hurts more because of the feeling of, "Will Rafa ever beat this guy in a slam again?" I'm left with.

Feels like a big turning point in Rafa's career.
Same here. I got the feeling that if Nadal doesn't beat Djokovic tonight, he'll never do it unless Djokovic has an injury.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Is it good for tennis in general (I don't follow it as much as many of you, only on the big occasions) that a player dominates so much ? I didn't enjoy it when Federer was destroying players earlier in his career, didn't enjoy it when Nadal has a great year (2008).
It seems to have become a little predictable, even if Djokovic has to earn every win, he has to play amazingly well.

Agent Red

Nadal would have most definitely overtaken him if not for Djoko. But then I guess Federer would say the same about Nadal stopping him for winning another 5 or so slams. It is massive shame Nadal and Novak did not break in two years earlier. Fed picked up too many easy slams against garbage like Hewitt and Roddick
Yup true. I'm glad that there is much less fanboism surrounding Federer these days. His petulance in difficult moments has cost him media support, and as a result the tennis side of his reputation doesn't seem untouchable anymore either.

He's a great player, but previously Nadal and Djokovic were talked about as though they could only ever be in his shadow, and I think now people are starting to question that, which is great for the game.

I don't have any issue with Novak really, and actually I like him much more when I see him interviewed than when he's on the court. I am probably blinkered by my Nadal/Murray preference and also the press hoopla around Djokovic (not that it isn't deserved). I don't have an issue with him as an individual though, he seems like a nice guy.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Was hoping Del Po would be another one breaking through but he's fallen back a lot because of that injury and other issues.

Perhaps the US Open win came a little bit too early in his career? A bit like Safin.

Agent Red

Was hoping Del Po would be another one breaking through but he's fallen back a lot because of that injury and other issues.

Perhaps the US Open win came a little bit too early in his career? A bit like Safin.
Yes, I was hoping for this as well.

Today and Del Po's win against Federer were two of the greatest matches I've ever seen. I felt at that time that Del Po was sure to displace Murray in the top 4, but sadly injury has prevented that.

He's proven he can go to the distance though, so I hope we see more of him in the future (though I'd rather it was at Federer's expense again, not Murray's)

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Federer found it easy to be gracious all those years because he kept winning. Once Rafa came through and started beating him followed by a host of others we've seen his true character.

The man is a bit of a twat. I still remember his presser after Wimbledon 2008.

Ixion

I think Murray has a good shot at the US Open, if he can keep improving, wouldn't surprise me if he takes that one this year.

Also glad I'm not the only one who isn't a Federer fan, always comes across as an arogant cock win or lose.

Agent Red

Federer found it easy to be gracious all those years because he kept winning. Once Rafa came through and started beating him followed by a host of others we've seen his true character.

The man is a bit of a twat. I still remember his presser after Wimbledon 2008.
I think Murray has a good shot at the US Open, if he can keep improving, wouldn't surprise me if he takes that one this year.

Also glad I'm not the only one who isn't a Federer fan, always comes across as an arogant cock win or lose.
Where have you all been all my life? I've spent years saying this only to have to hear what a 'gent' he is in response!

Agreed about the gracious when winning thing, not that he even managed that at all points to be honest. He used to do wanky stuff on the non-playing days pre-tournos, like casually go outside and play catch on his own with a tennis ball, acting shocked that he'd somehow stumbled across the entire press section who then started snapping him 'playing around' before the match.

He was also rude to the waitresses which I always think says quite a lot about a person. Easy to be nice to the cameras and the big sponsors, but how do you treat people that are seen to be 'less important' than you?

Enigma_87

You know who
Great match to finish off some amazing 2nd week. Djokovic is too good for Nadal. Especially when Nadal can't seem to beat him here, where the courts are slow. Really can't see Nadal beating him anywhere this season as well. total domination 7 wins in a row. It's like watching Real and Barca play.

wr8_utd

:'(
Total domination is what Nadal does to your Federer as well btw.

Anyway Nadal did way better against Djoko this year than last. That second serve of his killed him though. Djokovic absolutely destroyed it.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Wonder if its time for Rafa to get someone else involved on the coaching side along with uncle Toni.

Time for some fresh ideas perhaps?

Ixion

I think Nadal will win the French (Djoko Wimbledon and Murray the US).

vuc

First Team Serb
Federer raised the bar, Nadal raised it even higher, Djokovic has sent that bar into orbit.

Incredible. We also just won the European Waterpolo championships, next up is Handball vs Denmark and it could be a triple crown. Historic.

How many people think that Djokovic can go down as the greatest ever?

championo

Top Stalker
He was also rude to the waitresses which I always think says quite a lot about a person. Easy to be nice to the cameras and the big sponsors, but how do you treat people that are seen to be 'less important' than you?
This is strange, I have heard quite the opposite. I have heard he is actually nicer to people you will think he will thumb his nose at.

Agent Red

This is strange, I have heard quite the opposite. I have heard he is actually nicer to people you will think he will thumb his nose at.
Really? Fair enough. I can only speak from my own experiences to be honest. It was a few years ago now as well, maybe he's changed.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
What a game... Could have been over in four but Nadal never gave up.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
I have defended and praised this guy in these tennis discussions on here, but that's going a bit too far. As you see with Sampras and Federer and many greats in the modern tennis era, 27-28 is when the decline slowly but surely starts to show. Especially with physically demanding tennis styles like that of Nadal and Djokovic.

He's 24, almost 25 now? and 'only' on 5 slams. ALOT of catching up to do. And there's always the danger of another new kid on the block who'll prevent (an older) Djokovic winning slams, not to speak that I saw a very dangerous Nadal today who has shown he's not yet done.

nemanja15

For the record about the Nadal/Federer personality thing - being only 18 I have many mates who have ballboyed at the Wimbledon Championships over the past 5-6 years, some on Centre and No. 1 Court. Federer (and Murray) are apparently the rudest, most ungrateful players out there on court - I've heard many recollections of a ballboy being quietly effed and blinded at because he didn't get the balls to Federer quick enough when serving. Whilst the most pleasant? Nadal, Djokovic (and also Roddick and Hewitt for the record). They're know to actually thank the ballboys every so often, actually make eye contact and smile. It's very interesting.

Personally, I admire Federer for his talent but I have always felt there's something under the surface with him that isn't particularly pleasant, and it's interesting to find there are others with a similar view.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Federer raised the bar, Nadal raised it even higher, Djokovic has sent that bar into orbit.

Incredible. We also just won the European Waterpolo championships, next up is Handball vs Denmark and it could be a triple crown. Historic.

He needs to do it on cold and rainy night in Stoke

Ixion

Heh just realised Sharapova lost in under 90 minutes and won just 3 games but will get the same prize money as Nadal who lost in 6 hours and won 25 games. Silly.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Djokovic's 'injury' seems to have cleared up.
Nah, this time he didn't try to trick anyone unlike at the US Open final. He walked like he's exhausted, which I believe he was and after that long rally he had the right to be a bit theatrical about how tiring that was with Nadal sending him left and right.

If Nadal really STILL gets influenced by his body language than that's really unprofessional from him. This was won fair and square by Djokovic. Although Nadal really screwed it up at 30-15 at 4-2 in the final set. Only himself to blame.