Awesome United pics

bishblaize

Yes. I fecking hate Rangers to this day. It was a hastily-arranged "friendly" as I recall and Docherty said afterwards that he'd never play another. Contrast that to the Celtic fans who came down for Bobby's testimonial game. I jumped on a 264 in town that night. I was late and missed my mates who'd gone on early. I went upstairs and it was full of Celtic fans. I had my red and white scarf on and I thought I was dead. They made room for me and someone draped an Irish flag over me and I suddenly acquired a bus full of new mates.
Meh. A Celtic fan knocked one of my teeth out ahead of that pre-season testimonial for Giggs in '01. Not my favourite fans.

Stretford End Phil

I´m too old. I get things things mixed up. My math is fooked. Was the night he became my fav at United as well.
Maybe we should form an oldies corner. My problem is I have better recall for the old games rather than the last five years. These years have become a numbers game rather than enjoying each game - a bit like collecting numbers train-spotting rather than watching flair.

Moriarty

Meh. A Celtic fan knocked one of my teeth out ahead of that pre-season testimonial for Giggs in '01. Not my favourite fans.
Sorry to hear that. I suppose things were a bit different back in 1972 when we had a very close relationship with Celtic. The only times I was actually assaulted by opposition fans was at West Ham in 1975 and away at Newcastle. A mounted copper at Stoke tried to decapitate me with his baton once and a bottle thrown in my direction on the Kippax hit the lad next to me and split his head open but, overall, I've managed to avoid serious injury at the match.

Moriarty

Maybe we should form an oldies corner. My problem is I have better recall for the old games rather than the last five years. These years have become a numbers game rather than enjoying each game - a bit like collecting numbers train-spotting rather than watching flair.
Count me in. It'll be a cafe version of the Wheeltappers & Shunters.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Always a bit of the old ultra-violence against Leeds. This is the match, according to Fergie, that started it all; the 1965 FA Cup semi-final. First game at Hillsborough ended 0-0 with Leeds winning the replay at the City Ground 1-0 with an 89th minute goal from Bremner.

Great pics! Look at the state of the pitch....todays players couldn't handle the crap this lot had to play on. Shame we lost the final :(

Moriarty

The great Alex Stepney. The bottom picture purports to show Pat Jennings' goal for Spurs in the 1968 Charity Shield. It isn't as Jennings scored at the Scoreboard End and this photo is taken from behind the Stretford End.

Moriarty

April 1965 and the reigning champions, Liverpool, are given a 3-0 drubbing by the champions elect. Denis Law scored twice and on of my favourite players of the era, John Connelly, scored the other. Connelly was a fast and direct winger who had a fearsome shot and scored a vital 15 league goals when we won the title on goal average. He made the 1966 England squad but didn't get much of a look-in after Alf Ramsey dispensed with wingers.

Marching

They still managed a great game of football in spite of the pitch.
That was the norm back then wasn't it....I remember helped clear the pitch of snow as a kid and sitting on bales of hay that were used to keep the frost off the pitch. Dark ages :lol:

Glory Glory Denis Irwin

Glory Glory Denis Irwin
One of the most unforgettable European nights I've ever witnessed.

What a player this guy was. When he walked off and we gave him that ovation it was spine-tingling.

Stretford End Phil

The great Alex Stepney. The bottom picture purports to show Pat Jennings' goal for Spurs in the 1968 Charity Shield. It isn't as Jennings scored at the Scoreboard End and this photo is taken from behind the Stretford End.
Big fan of Stepney. Remember when he took our penalties? His save against Eusabio was the moment that turned the game in our favour in the 1968 final. A nice bloke with a lot of time for the fans.

Moriarty

That was the norm back then wasn't it....I remember helped clear the pitch of snow as a kid and sitting on bales of hay that were used to keep the frost off the pitch. Dark ages :lol:
Just for you. This is what Billy Bremner did after scoring the winner in the replay.

Moriarty

Look at the state of the White Hart Lane pitch in this image. Jimmy Greaves pressed into defensive duties but they still couldn't stop The King.

Marching

Just for you. This is what Billy Bremner did after scoring the winner in the replay.
Oh how times have changed! They smoked, drank and lived on the wrong food with pre match meals at Leeds taken at the fish shop opposite the ground. I'm surprised they could get through 90 minutes.

stevoc

Pictures like that are still a bit disturbing for me, makes the dark time of last season flood back. Still baffling someone thought it would be a good idea to let this man manage Manchester United.

Stretford End Phil

Look at the state of the White Hart Lane pitch in this image. Jimmy Greaves pressed into defensive duties but they still couldn't stop The King.
Nobody ever thought the pitches were bad back in the day! It was all taken for granted that every pitch was like that. Remember Derby, not a blade of grass on a mud swamp, covered with sand.

Moriarty

Nobody ever thought the pitches were bad back in the day! It was all taken for granted that every pitch was like that. Remember Derby, not a blade of grass on a mud swamp, covered with sand.
I never liked the old Baseball Ground much. Went there in 1970 when the match was played on a frozen pitch with players sliding all over the place. Ended up 4-4 as I remember which tells you the number of errors there were. City's old pitch turned into a quagmire when it rained and go so bad that they had to remark the pitch in places at half time. Didn't seem to hinder the great players though. There's a video somewhere of Jimmy Greaves' debut for West Ham at Maine Road. The pitch was thick mud but Greaves seemed to glide across it to score.

Mojo_

its more fun being a feeder
I was 10 when this happened, the time when my love affair started. Still picture this goal today in my head.