Axel Tuanzebe image 38

Axel Tuanzebe England flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjenIsM3

You suggested Scott who is a year older than Axel:houllier:
And that's strange how? He's been with the first team a lot longer than Axel. Has proven himself to be very vocal on the pitch, shown the right attitude when shit hit the fan already. He's the one putting in 6/10 performances when the rest of our team get 4/10.

flappyjay

And that's strange how? He's been with the first team a lot longer than Axel. Has proven himself to be very vocal on the pitch, shown the right attitude when shit hit the fan already. He's the one putting in 6/10 performances when the rest of our team get 4/10.
Shouldn't have made it sound like age plays a part then

Mcking

Maybe because he's still a kid who's yet to prove that he's ready to be a squad player let alone our captain. There's also a big difference to captaining kids of your age group vs captaining the likes of Pogba.

Not our best player obviously but is that really what you look for in your captain? I think not. For example, here's what Tuchel said on giving Neymar the armband.
But Mctominay is no Thiago nor Marquinhos when it comes to quality. The captain must not be the best player, but he at least has to be good at football especially when he is younger than most. A captain that can't get into the team is not exactly the way to go.

ArjenIsM3

But Mctominay is no Thiago nor Marquinhos when it comes to quality. The captain must not be the best player, but he at least has to be good at football especially when he is younger than most. A captain that can't get into the team is not exactly the way to go.
You're saying McTominay can't get into our team or can't play football? He's been one of our most consistent players since OGS arrived. Voted MOTM on the caf 5 times this season, on par with Rashford and only behind Pogba (10) and Shaw (6).

Raven

You're saying McTominay can't get into our team or can't play football? He's been one of our most consistent players since OGS arrived. Voted MOTM on the caf 5 times this season, on par with Rashford and only behind Pogba (10) and Shaw (6).
He'll be back to being a championship player on this forum for the summer.

In Rainbows

He'll be back to being a championship player on this forum for the summer.
You guys are getting ahead of yourselves with his performances. You're judging McTominay more so on effort and keeping it safe as nothing in the side was going right. In a more dominant side or rather a side where everything is fine, you'll start seeing him in a different light. Think back to Cleverley. He was rightly criticized for not being good enough going forward, and basically hiding despite always having a ton of passes. Apart from McTominay being more combative, his passing isn't all that different from Cleverley and actually slightly worse.

Which is fine, but it's important to keep it in perspective. McTominay was doing a job in a side that needed something, or rather anything. Good for McTominay as it keeps people off his back.

hubbuh

You guys are getting ahead of yourselves with his performances. You're judging McTominay more so on effort and keeping it safe as nothing in the side was going right. In a more dominant side or rather a side where everything is fine, you'll start seeing him in a different light. Think back to Cleverley. He was rightly criticized for not being good enough going forward, and basically hiding despite always having a ton of passes. Apart from McTominay being more combative, his passing isn't all that different from Cleverley and actually slightly worse.

Which is fine, but it's important to keep it in perspective. McTominay was doing a job in a side that needed something, or rather anything. Good for McTominay as it keeps people off his back.
They play different roles, though. They were expected to fulfil different responsibilities which McTominay for the most part has done, while Cleverley rarely did (community shield final aside!).

On topic; I would absolutely love this guy to come in and make one of the centre back positions his own. The timing couldn’t be better in theory. Go on lad!

ArjenIsM3

You're right he's not the most technically gifted player but neither are the likes of Milner. Never said he was going to be our star man going forward, though I think the Cleverley comparison is a bit off because McTominay is very different in that he wins a lot of headers and his style is a lot more physical. The discussion was about who would be fit to be our captain though, not who our best midfielder is, and I think McTominay could make a great captain.

Raven

I'm not getting ahead of myself at all, he's been brilliant since Ole arrived. I feel he's best at DM though.

tomaldinho1

Given there's no way we will be challenging for the title next season, our target is a return to the CL places.

Wan Bissaka - Tuanzebe - Lindelof - Shaw

I honestly think that back line can be good enough with the right midfield in front of it and can grow into a formidable back four over a few seasons. Need to start planning longer term than just throwing money at players like Koulibaly

In Rainbows

You're right he's not the most technically gifted player but neither are the likes of Milner. Never said he was going to be our star man going forward, though I think the Cleverley comparison is a bit off because McTominay is very different in that he wins a lot of headers and his style is a lot more physical. The discussion was about who would be fit to be our captain though, not who our best midfielder is, and I think McTominay could make a great captain.
I never said they were the same player. I'm just saying that you might start to judge him differently if he had more responsibility.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner

He's so calm on the ball. I love it.

Unless we're going to play him 20 to 30 times next season, and Villa come up, I would send him back loan to get a full year of Premier League football. But he deserves a chance, which makes things like the Jones renewal even more mind boggling, we have a talented home grown player needed minutes.

neilv93

I mentioned this to @neilv93 and a few others in the De Ligt thread.
I'd bring him back, for sure. He's certainly earned the right to try and hold down a first-team place this summer. As for captaincy, not yet. If he proves himself like anyone else, I'm all for it but not with only five PL games under his belt IMO.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Big game for him today. Been given the run around a little by Mason Bennett so far.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He hasn't been given the runaround :lol:

Derby haven't worked a single opportunity to get in behind the Villa defence so far.

Nothing new re Tuanzebe to be honest. Calm and composed, good defending when the balls on the floor. Played out of trouble well on a few occasions, plays well as part of a unit. He hasn't been caught out but you can tell he isn't a aerially dominant.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
He hasn't been given the runaround :lol:

Derby haven't worked a single opportunity to get in behind the Villa defence so far.

Nothing new re Tuanzebe to be honest. Calm and composed, good defending when the balls on the floor. Played out of trouble well on a few occasions, plays well as part of a unit. He hasn't been caught out but you can tell he isn't a aerially dominant.
It amazes me, it really does, that anyone can watch what has happened up to this point and decide that Mason Bennett has given him the business.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
It amazes me, it really does, that anyone can watch what has happened up to this point and decide that Mason Bennett has given him the business.
Wasn't it Bennett who pushed Tuanzebe to the ground because he couldn't get to ball?

Nearly had me doubting myself for a second.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Given there's no way we will be challenging for the title next season, our target is a return to the CL places.

I honestly think that back line can be good enough with the right midfield in front of it and can grow into a formidable back four over a few seasons. Need to start planning longer term than just throwing money at players like Koulibaly
Who is going to head the ball out of that lot?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Any team with a striker who can head the ball would have a field day against us.

AshRK

No way Jones or ROjo should be ahead of Tuanzebe. I can see him doing very well under Ole. Get one CB and promote Tuanzebe and sell Rojo and Jones, we would be fine.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You wouldn't have to play them every single game though would you. Smaldini can come in for the bigger sides
I think even in these days that ball playing seems to be the first thought with a centre defender, that you still need someone to head it, whoever you play.

Especially if you don't have much height elsewhere.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Any team with a striker who can head the ball would have a field day against us.
Yep, as flavour of the month ball playing is, you still need height and aerial ability in the Premier league.
That's why it always worries me when we're linked to some high price defender and then someone says they're not particularly dominant.

Maguire would worry me a bit pace wise, but would be as good as you get aerial wise.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Is Tuanzebe really that inadequate aerially? He's hardly short and put on a lot of muscle.

Pace and playing out from the back his obvious strengths.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yep, as flavour of the month ball playing is, you still need height and aerial ability in the Premier league.
That's why it always worries me when we're linked to some high price defender and then someone says they're not particularly dominant.

Maguire would worry me a bit pace wise, but would be as good as you get aerial wise.
Yeah, ideally you want one ball player and one brick wall. We had it perfect with Rio and Vidic.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
An aerially dominant CB is what we'll be spending cash on this Summer so I'm not worried about Tuanzebe being a little weak in that area.

That being said, I'll be surprised if he's as weak in the air as some are making out. The Championship is no hiding place for CBs that struggle to compete for high balls.

Maguire and Tuanzebe would be a good partnership

Mcking

An aerially dominant CB is what we'll be spending cash on this Summer so I'm not worried about Tuanzebe being a little weak in that area.

That being said, I'll be surprised if he's as weak in the air as some are making out. The Championship is no hiding place for CBs that struggle to compete for high balls.
Statistically, he wins 3.4 of 5.7 aerial duels per 90. That would make him third best among our current CB's in that area.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Statistically, he wins 3.4 of 5.7 aerial duels per 90. He would be third best among our current CB's in that area.
How many has he faced in comparison? Curious to know how many more aerial balls are faced in the championship compared with the PL.

Lexxxzi

I think you guys can forget about Tuanzebe for a while. The best for him is to stay at Aston Villa next season, a team he knows and will pretty much be guaranteed playing time.

cathari

I think you guys can forget about Tuanzebe for a while. The best for him is to stay at Aston Villa next season, a team he knows and will pretty much be guaranteed playing time.
Which is the best outcome for him, and us. Might have to buy an extra centre-half then.

Status
Not open for further replies.