Backlash after WC rape jokes flood Twitter

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
So is using the word " frape" acceptable just because there's an f at the beginning? I'm interested.
I don't like it, either, but I do think it's slightly different. Adding the letter just makes it less evocative.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
I don't like it, either, but I do think it's slightly different. Adding the letter just makes it less evocative.
As crude as it is, its an apt description of what it is. Despite the origins of it, frape is a word in itself now.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal

DouLou

Been caught pooping
It probably wouldn't ever be the case with people (kids) who have been properly raised and educated. Not everyone is properly raised and educated, though. And there's a side to this which is usually downplayed in these debates. It's a fact (a perfectly objective fact) that many rape victims still - in this day and age, even in so-called progressive socities - hesitate to report what has happened to them because they're worried about not being taken seriously. And the number of cases which are never properly investigated seem to justify their worries.

Using the rape metaphor senselessly in all sorts of contexts where it isn't even remotely apt doesn't help. There may not be be any direct correlation between the (ab)use of the word and criminal stats (I'm sure it isn't) - but the widespread and thoughtless use of the analogy may directly contribute to worsening the plight of the victims. And that's more than enough reason to stop using it, surely.
Unless you can provide a reason why making a rape joke on twitter directly affects solving or preventing rape crimes then no it isn't more than enough reason, it's not even close to enough reason.

What you are saying is that saying something may affect someone else in a negative way but we don't know for sure so let's just stop doing it anyway. I wonder how many words/scenarios we can apply this train of thought to until we aren't left with much to say at all.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Unless you can provide a reason why making a rape joke on twitter directly affects solving or preventing rape crimes then no it isn't more than enough reason, it's not even close to enough reason.

What you are saying is that saying something may affect someone else in a negative way but we don't know for sure so let's just stop doing it anyway. I wonder how many words/scenarios we can apply this train of thought to until we aren't left with much to say at all.
Why on earth does it matter whether or not the harm caused is direct?

If we're playing the "if we apply this train of thought" game, then your logic suggests their is little wrong with appallingly harmful things, providing the harm is indirect.

EnricoPalazzo

73% of rapes are committed by a non-stranger. 40% take place IN THE VICTIM'S HOME. Another 20% take place in the home of a relative, neighbor or friend.
Where do you get that facts from? Did the 73% admitted they have raped? False accusations of rape happen a lot nowadays, many ppl have been convicted without evidence, just because judges tend to believe the women.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Where do you get that facts from? Did the 73% admitted they have raped? False accusations of rape happen a lot nowadays, many ppl have been convicted without evidence, just because judges tend to believe the women.
The United States Department of Justice. And now you are going on ignore because I can't be bothered with this again.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Please, just because you avoid dark alleys doesn't mean you won't get mugged. In the right area you are at risk wherever you go. The same applies for rape. You can choose not to get so drunk you can't resist assault, you can choose to not get drugged by showing some awareness, you can choose not to go home with like 5 men you just met "to party". Of course you can still be assaulted in the street or betrayed by some psycho you thought you knew, but obviously you can do something to lower the risk significantly.
I choose to live my bloody life and wear what I want, drink what I want, walk in whichever alley I want and not have to live in fear that some coward who can't get laid will attack me. Why do women in general have to change their lifestyle to pacify criminals ? Is it a crime to consume alcohol or have a fun night with your friends..no. The crime is sticking your dick into someone without their consent. It's an act of cowards who look for every little excuse to justify their dirty deed. Nobody is to be blamed for their actions but the rapist for being a weak cowardly asshole.

Lothar

I choose to live my bloody life and wear what I want, drink what I want, walk in whichever alley I want and not have to live in fear that some coward who can't get laid will attack me. Why do women in general have to change their lifestyle to pacify criminals ? Is it a crime to consume alcohol or have a fun night with your friends..no. The crime is sticking your dick into someone without their consent. It's an act of cowards who look for every little excuse to justify their dirty deed. Nobody is to be blamed for their actions but the rapist for being a weak cowardly asshole.
You don't have to. You can take any risk you want.

Blame the victim? Get out with that shit. In no way have I been blaming victims.

Count Orduck

Please, just because you avoid dark alleys doesn't mean you won't get mugged. In the right area you are at risk wherever you go. The same applies for rape. You can choose not to get so drunk you can't resist assault, you can choose to not get drugged by showing some awareness, you can choose not to go home with like 5 men you just met "to party". Of course you can still be assaulted in the street or betrayed by some psycho you thought you knew, but obviously you can do something to lower the risk significantly.
So if a woman gets very drunk and doesn't watch her drinks, therefore gets drugged and raped, is it her fault?

Count Orduck

Some of you people have an insane imagination. No. Obviously not.
But what you're saying is that she could have done something differently? Because, to me, that sounds like you're saying it's partly her fault. "Well, why did you get so drunk that you opened yourself up to being raped?"

You're apportioning some blame -- if not all of it -- onto the victim. You're saying, "if you'd acted like you should have done, this wouldn't have happened".

Count Orduck

Yes, men being convicted without evidence because of all those feminist judges is a real problem in western justice systems. :rolleyes:

Lothar

But what you're saying is that she could have done something differently? Because, to me, that sounds like you're saying it's partly her fault. "Well, why did you get so drunk that you opened yourself up to being raped?"

You're apportioning some blame -- if not all of it -- onto the victim. You're saying, "if you'd acted like you should have done, this wouldn't have happened".
Suggesting people take precautions against danger is not victim blaming. What are you suggesting? We tell people they should take no action in life to lower the risk of something happening to them?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

Yes. That's what I'm saying. I'm - imagine the horror of it - suggesting that peuerile, thoughtless fecking nitwits on the Internet stop using rape as an analogy for beating someone in a game of football. That is exactly what I'm saying.

The first part of your post is pointless as I've said very clearly that I don't believe there is any direct correlation. I even repeated it.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Stats please.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I've yet to read, in this thread, a single reasonable & non-self-excusing defence of the rape metaphor; even the - pathetic - Brazil/Germany thing is flawed (unless you're suggesting that Brazil allowed the 'rape' to happen...'cos that's what you claim their appalling defending permitted, isn't it?).

So, bring it, you shining lights of social liberty and free speech; Voltaire misquotes n' all.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I've yet to read, in this thread, a single reasonable & non-self-excusing defence of the rape metaphor; even the - pathetic - Brazil/Germany thing is flawed (unless you're suggesting that Brazil allowed the 'rape' to happen...'cos that's what you claim their appalling defending permitted, isn't it?).

So, bring it, you shining lights of social liberty and free speech; Voltaire misquotes n' all.
Same here. Basically a small group of males trying to intellectualize why it should be used.

Moriarty

Same here. Basically a small group of males trying to intellectualize why it should be used.
Trouble is, you can't intellectualise it. There is just something inherently creepy and distasteful about using the word "rape" as a metaphor for thrashing an opposing team. There are far better words that can be used.

Momochiru

It's slang and you can't police slang. The point of slang is to be crude and outrageous. 15-20 years ago when the use of the word ni66er became popular in rap songs I found it's use very distasteful, now it's pretty common in everyday slang - I pretty much got used to it. Then calling a girl a b1tch became popular in everyday slang, again i found it very distasteful - slowly getting used to it too. There many other examples like that. The word rape has been used with this connotation for many years already in the gaming community and on Facebook. I got used to it too. In fact the word rape is not bothering me anymore, while the word b1tch is still bothering me a little.

I guess that's about it - you either get used to it or become a grumpy old man/woman who constantly complains about the young generation's language. The previous generations have felt the same way about the word feck and many others, but now the word feck is in such common use that some linguists have even proposed not to consider it a profanity anymore.

GerryinBC

Maybe people have been using crude metaphors for thousands of years but for thousands of years, raping people was hardly frowned upon in a lot of cultures. The standard of decency isn't really any different its just the age of people using these words because of overexposure on the internet, case in point - this exact situation - the world cup. 9 year old have phones now, and when a 9 year old boy goes on twitter and sees "man Germany totally raped the shit out of Brazil today" they think its awesome and they will continue to use rape in common practice. Thats not right.
Except that rape does not have to mean forced sex. Go to Dictionary.com and look up the meaning of raped. There are legitimate ways to use the word when describing a sporting event.

SteveJ

Scout
you either get used to it or become a grumpy old man/woman who constantly complains about the young generation's language.
The problem, and others in a similar vein, has more to do with the legacy of previous generations' misuse; in fact, the historic & traditional treatment of women as second-class people and mere playthings for men.

SteveJ

Scout
There are legitimate ways to use the word when describing a sporting event.
Yes, if you're a clown with the vocabulary of 12-year old. Dictionary definitions of varying quality can't disguise the sentiment behind the misuse of the word.

Momochiru

The problem, and others in a similar vein, has more to do with the legacy of previous generations' misuse; in fact, the historic & traditional treatment of women as second-class people and mere playthings for men.
Same thing is true for historic & traditional treatment of the black people and the n-word, yet it's in a very common use nowadays.

SteveJ

Scout
Same thing is true for historic & traditional treatment of the black people and the n-word, yet it's in a very common use nowadays.
Yeah...generally by people who haven't thought things through. And I include black people amongst those.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It certainly isn't common among whites, unless it's behind closed doors. If anything it may be common as a term of endearment among those who seek to reclaim its meaning for the pain of the past.

Momochiru

It certainly isn't common among whites, unless it's behind closed doors. If anything it may be common as a term of endearment among those who seek to reclaim its meaning for the pain of the past.
I'm not an expert in the young generation's slang, but there is a McDonald's close to where I live and there are usually a bunch of kids hanging around, most of them are white I guess - I hear them calling each other the n-word all the time.

SteveJ

Scout
You're using some of the worst possible examples of dysfunctional cultures, FT: the gaming community (famously enlightened when it comes to gender); Facebook (not at all populated by trolls); and...well, let's just call them white kids who occasionally want to be black (except for the bad bits like slavery, racism etc etc).

Fun fact: Don't use crappy, glib, smart-arse phrases like 'fun fact' or 'pro tip' and expect your arguments to be taken seriously in a discussion of this nature.

Momochiru

You're using some of the worst possible examples of dysfunctional cultures, FT: the gaming community (famously enlightened when it comes to gender); Facebook (not at all populated by trolls); and...well, let's just call them white kids who occasionally want to be black (except for the bad bits like slavery, racism etc etc).
You just described 99% of the young generation.

Fun fact: Don't use crappy, glib, smart-arse phrases like 'fun fact' or 'pro tip' and expect your arguments to be taken seriously in a discussion of this nature.
I guess you have read my post about the rape sexual fantasies and how common they are among women. It's very counter intuitive and it looks like psychologists have been studying it for decades. English is not my first language and I thought that "fun fact" describes well something that is hard to believe, but true.