Backlash after WC rape jokes flood Twitter

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
That's because everyone would agree that it was not kosher. With rape, people (almost invariably men) love to insist that they should be able to joke about it and constantly question why it should be taken so seriously.
On this particular thread, I thought it was the term "raped" being used casually that was disputed, not the act itself? I mean, people say stuff like "you KILLED it" or "we got murdered in that game", and no one cares, and it definitely wouldn't warrant a 19 page thread. Then again, I guess victims of murder aren't around to complain about it huh.

montpelier

The discussion does have a gender (feminism) context because the people doing the assaulting (in the very vast majority of cases) are male. Those it happens to are most often female.

Fewer jokes about it, less trivialization, taking (all) sexual assault more seriously as an 'orrible crime doesn't seem that unreasonable. And keeping the word 'rape' as only having its one nasty meaning is a start.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveJ

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Except that rape does not have to mean forced sex. Go to Dictionary.com and look up the meaning of raped. There are legitimate ways to use the word when describing a sporting event.
The non-sexual and now largely obsolete meaning of rape isn't an apt metaphor for beating someone either. Rape means the seizure of someone or something by way of a violation. It doesn't mean to beat the living shit out of someone you face in a struggle of some sort.

It's a shite analogy for defeating someone in a football match no matter what definition is used.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
I initially avoided commenting on this thread as all rape discussions go, all opinions have to be black and white. As that's how it's turned out in this thread. Anyone with a different opinion is chastised. For instance it's not as though those with gray opinions are in support of rape and rapists. I don't know how Lothar's points have been made out as ignorant.

The word 'rape' is synonymous with 'abuse', 'attack', 'destroy' etc. The word does exist outside the context of sexual abuse. However most people tend not to use as it mostly infers to sexual abuse.
Rape to me was forcing someone, who is unwilling to, to have sex with you. It's brings up the image of the man standing in the shadows and pouncing on women. Psychologically 'the man in the dark alley' rarely do what they do for pure sexual gratification. It is an exercise of power and dominance. To them it's a mental health issue. I don't see why it's wrong to advise women to protect themselves here. So much so it becomes victim blaming.

Now let's cast that aside. As the stats show most rapes are committed by men who already know the lady. Now this is where I agree we need to educate men on the issue. I saw an advert on tv recently doing just that. Simply, if the girl is not in the right frame of mind to consent, it's rape.

I can use myself as an example. Some years ago I was at a party and this lady was coming on to me. As the night went on, things got more intense. Now she was a beautiful lady, so I was very welcoming of her advances. In fact the only reason nothing happened that night was the environment we were in at the time. There's always tomorrow I thought. No!

The following day, she couldn't look me in the eye the whole day and avoided me. She was embarrassed by what happened the night before. I knew she was drunk then but I couldn't care less; she was hot! Any other setting & we would've slept together. Judging by her behaviour the next day there's no way she would've consented to sex if she was in the right frame of mind. This would've technically made me a rapist!

Now I know better than to get involved with drunk girls but I can only imagine how many guys in my case would have gone on to rape that girl. Not out of malice or power but a sense of opportunism borne out of ignorance.

Like murder, there are degrees to what constitutes to rape. I remember Ken Clarke got in trouble for saying something similar but I thought he had a point. Throwing a blanket on the issue and claiming there is a rape culture perpetuated by men; thus men should stop raping won't solve anything. Both men and women need to be educated equally on this.

Last edited:

Count Orduck

Possibly, but that could be because most people it happens to are women ??
Are you being deliberately disingenuous, or are you just unbelievably fucking stupid? That link clearly relates to prison inmates, not the general population. And given that male and female prisoners are housed seperately, and men do most of the raping, it's not entirely surprising that more men are raped in prison, is it? Unless you really think only 90,000 rapes happen outside of prison in the US, a country of 300,000,000 :rolleyes:

MUH PRIVELIDGE! MUH EQUAL RIGHTS!!!!111

Gotta love modern day feminism
Its totally okay to say ''murder'' in football terms.. but no, never rape #feminism :rolleyes:
Because 99% of the time it's feminists crying about ''rape culture'' (which doesn't exist)
Alright, don't bother answering my earlier question, we have our answer here. You're just unbelievably fucking stupid.

NoLogo

Myriad. For example..

http://amptoons.com/blog/the-male-privilege-checklist/

(Not all of these I agree with fwiw, but it's a decent list, at hand)

I don't know why some men find it hard to admit we have certain ingrained advantages. Women have many too, and occasionally counter advantages, but we obviously have more. This being a man's world, with women held at a lower status in the majority of places for the majority of history.

It's not a slander against our kind to admit this, it's very obvious, and simply the state of things. The same kind of advantage exists if we're born white, rich, able-bodied or are young. And groups rightly exists to try and redress the balance in all of these cases.

Well if we're playing the semantics game, there wouldn't be any good people either because everyone would be one. 'Tis a silly game really.
I usually made the experience that two (three) groups of (white) men who usually don't like this suggestion.

The first one are those who have worked really hard to get to where they are get a lot of confidence through their work and monetary related achievements. They probably feel that them belonging to a group that supposedly had it easier in life than other groups would diminish their achievements and invalidate their own hard work as the main factor to getting where they are now.

The second group of men who generally reject the notion of white male privilege are people who are actually treating everyone in their environment very much equal and for some reason can't see outside their own bubble and notice that the world outside of it often shows a different behavior. They think because they aren't treating women unfairly no one else does either and thus think the whole accusations coming from feminists are absurd.

Oh yeah and then of course there is the very small group of actual misogynists that think the patriarchy is the natural/biological/religious order of the world and a good thing.

Bacon apologist

Not really. I'd say we're about as equal a society as you can find on Earth when it comes to gender, though. Women still make less than men, though most - but not all - of that comes from the larger prevalence in part time work for women. With the trends in education, women will likely hold a larger and larger proportion of high paying jobs in the future, since the education system may be slightly favouring girls right now.
In addition to this, it's about what line of work you choose to do. Equal pay for equal work and all that, which I'm pretty sure we have in Norway.

Crono

Literally everyone has laughed at something that someone else, somewhere has found offensive (and found offensive for good reason).

I find the hypocrisy obnoxious.

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
Absoloutely not. I can never quite get my head around stats for unreported crimes being thrown about with any accuracy.

That report you called a "flimsy arguements" was not from unreported cases though.
I meant in general, not particularly that article, sorry.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The discussion does have a gender (feminism) context because the people doing the assaulting (in the very vast majority of cases) are male. Those it happens to are most often female.

Fewer jokes about it, less trivialization, taking (all) sexual assault more seriously as an 'orrible crime doesn't seem that unreasonable. And keeping the word 'rape' as only having its one nasty meaning is a start.
Outstanding post.

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM

I would like this if it hadn't already been liked.
Well said. :)

Bacon apologist

I do probably agree, but it's an interesting issue.

Is joking about rape extra bad because of obvious issues raised by @montpelier, or just because rape is horrible?

Someone earlier brought up dead baby jokes. I think all agree that killing babies is pretty high up on the list of horrible things to do, yet I really don't think people making these jokes trivializes anything. The context obviously matters when deciding if it's tasteless or not.

Similarly, in certain contexts and situations I really don't see the problem with rape jokes (or racist jokes, jokes about pedophiles, misogynistic jokes etc.), but on a public forum like Twitter these lines are harder to get right.

JSArsenal

How did this blow up into a 20 page thread?

I've only skimmed through but I can't believe some of the things being said in here. I'll try to tackle a few.

Rape isn't an innocuous word that can be thrown around freely to describe a sporting event, it invokes a real emotive response from many people who are rightly offended. Don't argue that the word's being used in a different sense when it comes to football because it clearly isn't.

Feminism isn't about screwing over the male population either, its about achieving equality between both sexes.

As for Rape culture and rape itself. It doesn't matter whether the victim is male or female its still a horrible crime that affects more females anyway so why even bring into the argument that more males are raped? What is the point?

In my criminal law class, we had a police officer as a student or former police officer, lecturer asked how would you feel if a woman was walking naked through an alleyway one night with a sign on her saying "I love sex" was raped, would you believe her? The police officer said "Well she must have been asking for it then". I am not joking and neither was he. Victim blaming is a serious problem.

We all know rape is wrong so why do seem feel that rape jokes are funny? They are not.

Bacon apologist

In the same way that the Holocaust was pretty crazily wrong, yet jokes involving Hitler, Jews and gas chambers can be funny I would guess.

And yes, I mentioned Hitler.

Momochiru

In the same way that the Holocaust was pretty crazily wrong, yet jokes involving Hitler, Jews and gas chambers can be funny I would guess.

And yes, I mentioned Hitler.
Hey Bacon, just out of curiosity, did you create this account specifically for this thread, so that you don't risk your regular account? I guess this thread has the potential to attract a trigger happy mod with a big ban-stick. Not that what you said is ban-worthy in my opinion...

Bacon apologist

Specifically for this thread, yes, but to calm fears of a hypothetical bacon shortage. This is my only account.

Silent_Running

Dr. John Hammond
How did this blow up into a 20 page thread?

Rape isn't an innocuous word that can be thrown around freely to describe a sporting event, it invokes a real emotive response from many people who are rightly offended. Don't argue that the word's being used in a different sense when it comes to football because it clearly isn't..
All the better to use to make a point then, how can you write satirically without hyperbole?

We all know rape is wrong so why do seem feel that rape jokes are funny? They are not.
Please can you provide a list of what I am and am not allowed to find amusing.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Many women rapes are made up
A more appropriate way to look at it is that nearly 94% of rapes are committed by males, which doesn't speak well for primarily 30 and under males (the main demographic who rape) trivializing the use of the term for football or other reasons.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
All the better to use to make a point then, how can you write satirically without hyperbole
Well, the majority of the people who use the rape metaphor in the contexts we're talking about here aren't even attempting satire or comedy. They're just lazily using a term which was coined by teenage gamers whose vocabulary any intelligent person should shun rather than incorporate.

In theory you can make a cracking joke about rape, just as you can make a cracking joke about concentration camps and baby killers. It requires the right context, though, and a bit of wit. None of which is present when you thoughtlessly use rape as a metaphor for beating someone in a football match.

GerryinBC

Yes, if you're a clown with the vocabulary of 12-year old. Dictionary definitions of varying quality can't disguise the sentiment behind the misuse of the word.
A clown? Vocabulary of a 12 year old?
The English language is used all over the world. Some words have multiple meanings and some people somewhere may know those meanings and use the word in a perfectly correct way. Usage is not always the same everywhere.
If I saw the halftime score of the Germany-Brazil game and I commented to my friend that Brazil was getting raped, he would know that Brazil was being badly beaten rather than sexually assaulted. It wouldn't be said or received as a joke. Simply a statement. There's your sentiment. Okay?

All that said, the sexual assault of any person is abhorrent, and to trivialize that by making jokes about it is repugnant.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
What, you'd deny that the use of that particular word displays a lack of imagination and power of expression? C'mon, it's the go-to description of choice for those who ignorantly confuse right with might...

GerryinBC

What, you'd deny that the use of that particular word displays a lack of imagination and power of expression? C'mon, it's the go-to description of choice for those who ignorantly confuse right with might...
Yes.

Crono

Maybe the most ironic thing of all is that the "rape jokes" made in the context of football are most often blatantly meant to evoke male on male rape; for obvious reasons.

You actually have to decontextualise the language for it to evoke the literal rape of a female by a male.

It's somewhat akin to women claiming that Catholic child rape jokes are misogynistic, simply because they're about rape, because of this strange logic that all rape is about women, even when it's not at all. I've never heard of feminists taking offence to rape jokes about male children. There, context is seemingly understood by all.

Still, 20 page discussion on feminism :lol:

The hand-wringing condemnations by people who have made or laughed at countless politically incorrect jokes in their lives :lol:

Swaters16

Whoever said rape isn't a word that means to beat the shit out of your opponents; If that's the way it's used then that's exactly what rape means. It's called language change. The definition of rape has broadened to mean something new and not just be associated with the crime. If it continues rape might soon only be associated with winning sports and you'll see headlines in newspapers "Germany rapes Brazil".
In this case it's more than likely a new word will come along to replace rape.
Still words are arbitrary and mean what people want them to mean not what 'language purists' say they do.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Whoever said rape isn't a word that means to beat the shit out of your opponents; If that's the way it's used then that's exactly what rape means. It's called language change. The definition of rape has broadened to mean something new and not just be associated with the crime. If it continues rape might soon only be associated with winning sports and you'll see headlines in newspapers "Germany rapes Brazil".
In this case it's more than likely a new word will come along to replace rape.
Still words are arbitrary and mean what people want them to mean not what 'language purists' say they do.
Sure. Language develops - often in ways nobody could've predicted.

"I skull fecked my own mother" could become an accepted synonym for "I did well". Who knows? But rape as a metaphor for defeating someone isn't universally accepted yet. It remains a term mainly used by infantile feckwits on the Internet. Some years down the line this may certainly have changed. Until then people will react to the word being used in certain contexts. That too is perfectly natural. Just because a group of people use a word in a certain sense doesn't mean it should be accepted by other groups as part of the natural evolution of language. Some terms never catch on in the mainstream.

Swaters16

Sure. Language develops - often in ways nobody could've predicted.

"I skull fecked my own mother" could become an accepted synonym for "I did well". Who knows? But rape as a metaphor for defeating someone isn't universally accepted yet. It remains a term mainly used by infantile feckwits on the Internet. Some years down the line this may certainly have changed. Until then people will react to the word being used in certain contexts. That too is perfectly natural. Just because a group of people use a word in a certain sense doesn't mean it should be accepted by other groups as part of the natural evolution of language. Some terms never catch on in the mainstream.
You don't have to accept it but youth culture is accepting it and that's how language change happens. To many people rape is now an acceptable word to use in this context which means people can choose to be offended by it or accept that it is a part of the lexicon of youths today. The same way people may see 'lol' and other slang words as unacceptable. I don't see anyone jumping down the throats of people who say bloody for example and no one explodes into rage when someone says 'my eyes' which could be considered extremely offensive in another culture. youth culture is different to other cultures it's meaningless trying to stop it changing because you can't. Rather than rape being used by 'infantile feckwits on the internet' they could easily call you a troglodyte; of course there's no sense in mudslinging.

montpelier

I suppose what us older / wiser / obnoxious 'peeps' are saying is that this particular change of word use isn't helpful in the wider societal context and personally I don't think it'll stick (see also the 'N' word) - you wouldn't use that in 'polite company' neither, even though that's been 'evolving' for what... 25-30yrs now.

Motherf**k*r hasn't gone completely mainstream either or it's evolved into ''mother of all... has it? - which is interestingly not the same 'word' in the sense of what we understand words to be.

It's an interesting debate but I think 'rape' in the 'harmless' sense is still in the infantile / niche / subversive category meself.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
What is the debate now?

Does everyone agree you need to be careful of who the audience is before saying certain things, therefore not a good idea to use words like rape on twitter and facebook.

We often used to have debates on the Wenger Paedo chants, there would surely be victims and kids within ear shot of this. So its the same thing, and this is wrong too.

But even though in some peoples opinion it makes me a “clown with the vocabulary of 12-year old" in the scenario you are out with your mates it is totally harmless and is not hurting anybody assuming you don’t have overly sensitive buddies. (Thankfully I don’t)