Backlash after WC rape jokes flood Twitter

knack

Let's be honest if your sister, good friend or someone you care about would have been raped and you set on a table with her/him and the rest of the family would you crack one rape joke after the other? I have a feeling you wouldn't
This argument makes no sense , what if one of your dear ones had been in a car accident and someones says it was a carcrash of a peeformance by luiz ? Seriously this can be said about almost every othr word really...

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Well I suppose it's a little bit subjective. Anyway, rape and cancer are both personal to me and have affected my life at times, due to this I'll probably come down harder on posters that use rape and cancer as analogies or gags. Every mod is different I suppose. I get what you're saying though. Aye, shut up :lol:
I remember you once called me a limp wristed feck and then got all worried and apologised after you found out I like men.

Good times.

Abizzz

Ohh how I hate it...

These people have neutered our languages enough already, and have done so without the slightest interest or affection for it. These are the same people who forbid us to call things by their name, thereby changing their personal perception without changing anything else in the world. Does calling a 1:7 home loss a "rape" make the victims of sexual crimes any worse off? No... it's the crime that is horrible, not the word used to label it.

Save the outrage for the actual crime. A crime that is still committed in all societies and that ruins thousands of lives across the world every day. The outrage industry devalues outrage itself... therefore drawing attention from the things we should actually be outraged at.

Language is used in context. In footballing terms, that was as much of a rape as your ever going to see.

RedSRM

People will always say stupid, potentially offensive, infantile things on the internet. Just compare how people speak on msg boards, facebook, twitter, youtube, etc. to how they generally are in 'real life'.
Give people the chance to say stupid things without having to look someone in the eye and they'll take it.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
were you offended?
Only in the same way I am by things like your former name. I don't like casual homophobia, though it doesn't bother me so much that it ever put me off posting here.

At first I wasn't sure if he knew, so I didn't know how to take it and just ignored it. Then after it became very clear he didn't, I realised it wasn't to be taken personally.

mtk1024

I don't think the main criteria for foul speak should be whether anyone is offended by it, as indeed it's difficult to say something that wouldn't offend at least one out of 6 billion people.

The criteria should be whether it really has to be said that way to describe it appropriately, and whether it damages the future development of the language and thus, the society that depends on it.

The reason for the tendency to use exaggerated language is laziness and inflation of superlatives. When a 2:0 is described as destruction, it seems like you have to resort to something much stronger even for a 3:0. The reality, however, is that with communication as intense and wide-spreading as it is today, no expression is strong enough not to feel 'amortized' after being employed for a couple of months' as a fashionable term to describe flamboyantly what are actually rather mundane matters.

So the real problem in my opinion is not the single use of aggressive superlatives, but repeating them over and over. The first time someone uses the expression figuratively,it has a strong effect and everyone is capable of making the distinction with the actual meaning. But then it gets picked up by everyone and the constant repetition blurs the lines and leaves the language and people's minds confused.

Jaytay

I really don't understand why people would even want to equate the word rape at all to a game, it's crazy. I always think their is something slightly off with people that use rape to describe a game.

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
The
Or people who have had a relative killed. Or murdered.

Words are descriptive. Harsh words are used to describe harsh outcomes. We shouldn't eliminate any words because some might be offended. They are words, not acts. There are lines that are crossed, like showing pics, as the OP said happened (personally, I didn't look at it.) But words are just words. The more power you give them over you, the more you can be a victim.
The best thing to do is not use any of the offending words then.
Not rocket science really.

Flopf

As a Linguist i might aswell contribute my view.
Languages change, they can't ban that. I can't give much examples in English but it's considered normal for linguistics that "bad" words lose their bad meaning and get more commonly used for different things. Eventually there will be a new word for 'rape' at some point. It's simply semantic changes and you have to live with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_change

Hectic

Supports
30fps
What an incredible thread this has been...it's had everything. Starting with AlwaysRedwood and in his specialty of making people dislike him with his lack of humour and attitude, a common trait in...comedians? A hilarious, mostly insane exchange between Eboue and The Don, with it TD performing the Homer Simpson walking back into the bushes gif while simultaneously shouting his point as loudly as possible, maybe even getting louder the further away he is. RD then coming in with the most nightmarish concern about the word rape will end up being used:

I think the main concern about using words like 'rape' is that it will become the norm. The triviality of using the word maybe get confused with the actual act of raping someone. It will become such a normal part of everyone's vocabulary that they will fail to find the actual act offensive.
Fearing somehow, through the word being used so much, people would use the word rape in conversation and have no idea if it was meant as an exaggeration or literally. Or that because it's used so much, the actual act itself will become completely accepted. Naturally ignored by almost everyone.

Followed by the worst response ever to a serious post:
Wow you certainly raped my argument :rolleyes:
This coming from someone who responded to another silly post with this, about 10 posts above:
Rykker_4united said:
What a fecking ignorant thing to say.
Also Lothar...Lothar with every one his posts. I'm promoting him for this thread alone.

Last edited:

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
Rape as a football metaphor is a weird one, if the post is overtly sexual (Germany bent them over....etc.) then fair enough, but rape can, and is still used as a term for plundering and its what I would be getting at if I were to use it.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ok, so if I 'hypothetically' post that 'Those German players ran a train on Luis' would I be looking at an infraction?

egginsoup

I know full well what context the word is being used in in this scenario but since words and their impact is the topic at hand, it's worth noting that rape can also be defined as 'the wanton destruction or spoiling (of a place)'. I've used it myself to mean 'wreck' or 'destroy' (sometimes incorrectly if not referring to a place) as opposed to 'sexually assault'. But I'm aware that that looks like a cop-put so you'd just have to take my word on it :angel: I've also used 'gay' to mean 'stupid' but these are words I consciously try to avoid using these days as there are people who are not so chill with their usage (which is fair enough).

For the argument that raged a few pages back, my take on it is that 'screw/feck' and 'screwed/fecked over' do not mean the same thing as 'rape'. 'Screw' and 'feck' imply consensual sex. e.g. "My missus and I f**ked last night" or "We were having an enjoyable screw when the wall-mounted bookshelf above the bed suddenly collapsed and the entire collection of the The Living Countryside (all 7 gigantic folders of it) came down on my head, knocking me out for several minutes"....

Trying substituting in 'fecked' or 'screwed' for 'raped' into the sentence: "The man was raped last night" and the whole thing takes on several new meanings, rape not being one of them in my opinion.

Cloudface

After I read multiple posts about gang rape, anal rape, lube, bending people over and buggery, I tend to take footballing references to rape as meaning victory through sexual violence rather than deforestation or pissing off sparrows.

I'm surprised others think differently though.

EnricoPalazzo

You don't make fun of rape-victims, as long you don't make fun of rape-victims.

When someone says "Brazil got raped", it aint a joke and neither is it a sneer at rapevictims. Not the ppl who use "rape" in that context are the problem, those who exactly know how its ment and still make a drama out of it, are the problem.

These weird ppl on Twitter have no real-life probs, they just waiting for someone using a bad word to start a "SHIT STORM" and to make themselve look like beeing better humans.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Trying substituting in 'fecked' or 'screwed' for 'raped' into the sentence: "The man was raped last night" and the whole thing takes on several new meanings, rape not being one of them in my opinion.
It didn't make any sense to begin with to be fair. You can mention screwing as a consensual act for a start, which can't apply to rape. It's akin to saying "fecking" is the same as rape, when it obviously isn't. Even then, if we specify it to just "screwed over", it clearly does have multiple meanings and I don't think the default one I'd jump to would ever be an "understanding of it to mean rape" because it's rarely used in a context where it would replace the word rape sufficiently or without confusion. Although I do think by the end of it he was just wumming.

Last edited:

The Purley King

Rape as a descriptive term is very accurate in describing what happened to Brasil the other night imo.
Understand some people won't like it - but whatever - no chance that its usage to describe a footballing event is going to 'desensitise' people to the actual act itself. Purhlease.
That said, I probably have a higher tolerance than most and if its not allowed here then fine, not my rules, but the holier than thou attitude of some posters is pretty grating.......

Rudie

Mentary
It didn't make any sense to begin with to be fair. You can mention screwing as a consensual act for a start, which can't apply to rape. It's akin to saying "fecking" is the same as rape, when it obviously isn't. Even then, if we specify it to just "screwed over", it clearly does have multiple meanings and I don't think the default one I'd jump to would ever be an "understanding of it to mean rape" because it's rarely used in a context where it would replace the word rape sufficiently or without confusion. Although I do think by the end of it he was just wumming.
Where does 'bumming' come into this? Does that fall in the 'screwing' category? I.e. 'Brazil got bummed'.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Everyone has seen this thread. I get called out on it on a regular basis.
To be fair the bullying and post traumatic stress probably stemmed from the casual homophobia and being laughed at by a whole forum.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
As always context is the important thing. Not sure using the term here is particularly offensive as it is regularly used in that context. Mildly offensive maybe but an awful lot of common terms/jokes are mildly offensive in that case. That's the way people are I guess, taking a big stand against it is probably being oversensitive.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Rape. Yup we shouldn't use that as a metaphore for trivial things like a football match but I imagine people have done since the dawn of time.

Murder. Yup we shouldn't use that as a metaphore for trivial things like a football match but I imagine people have done since the dawn of time.

Terrorist attacks. Yup we shouldn't use that as a metaphore for trivial things like a football match but I imagine people have done for Q

NoLogo

This argument makes no sense , what if one of your dear ones had been in a car accident and someones says it was a carcrash of a peeformance by luiz ? Seriously this can be said about almost every othr word really...
The point is that if you have said something that someone else finds hurtful you don't react by "yeah so what I don't give a shit" because I'm pretty sure that's not how you would react in real life either.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
What an incredible thread this has been...it's had everything. Starting with AlwaysRedwood and in his specialty of making people dislike him with his lack of humour and attitude, a common trait in...comedians? A hilarious, mostly insane exchange between Eboue and The Don, with it TD performing the Grampa Simpson walking back into the bushes gif while simultaneously shouting his point as loudly as possible, maybe even getting louder the further away he is. RD then coming in with the most nightmarish concern about the word rape will end up being used:

Fearing somehow, through the word being used so much, people would use the word rape in conversation and have no idea if it was meant as an exaggeration or literally. Or that because it's used so much, the actual act itself will become completely accepted. Naturally ignored by almost everyone.
If it becomes a casual word to describe everyday situations don't you think in time people will fail to understand the severity of what actually being raped is? It's being used to describe something positive like winning a game. After a while if this trend continues lines will get blurred and rape culture will continue to progress as a result of this type of language being acceptable. Why do you think that everyone is outraged at it's casual use ?It's mainly because it's insensitive to the victims and their families AND the fear that the word will be used too causally and the seriousness of what it really is will be forgotten.
I personally don't agree with this. I just think it's insensitive but most of the lobbyists etc are using this as an argument as to why using the word casually shouldn't be allowed.

Last edited:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'll just save everyone from reading a long and boring post by me & instead suggest that anyone defending the use of rape as a metaphor should f.u.ck off back to the 70s.
Bye.