Bad Berba's Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treble

Berbatov looks depressed. Something happened to him after the Stoke game. Hopefully, Rooney will return earlier.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I didn't think he was that poor last night.

I mean, not one of his better ones, but hardly away at Sunderland 09/10 bad.
Indeed. It was just one of those nights when nothing you try comes of despite your best efforts. I remember one incident where he chased down a ball with all his might, stole it from a defender went forward and then lost it to another after a bad touch.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Nah he was awful, really awful. One of those games when almost nothing positive happened for him.

I'm not sure that he's good at this lone striker business. I think the Everton game may have been a one off.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
His attitude seems to bother many on here. And yet, the one person this should be a problem for has not done or said anything /that we know of/. Or at least there's no notable change in Berba's attitude. Him and Wayne bitch just about all the time, most of the time rightfully so.

Bebe, Rafael, partially Obertan, sometimes Park, till not too long ago Nani....all tried and dribble through the entire defense and do a Ronaldo. Well, they are not him. They screw the whole build up
On evidence of his display last night the only person he ought to be bitching about is himself. It was just one of those nights when nothing went for him. He is quality and will bounce back

SATA

I must say he did decent in the lone role at Valencia.

I have no problem with his inept performance last night as he's rather prone to this in half of his time here. What i didn't like was his attitude towards his team-mates, absolutely disgusted to the point where i hope the camera would pin-point his reaction everytime he doesn't get a perfect pass or made a run so i could see it. It's amazing Nani could stand all that bollocks. Not even the legends of Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes do that to the team.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
He's frustrated because it isn't happening for him. Good start to the season, but as has been said its his third season now and he should be flying.

Mostly its disappointing that he hasn't kicked on from that Liverpool match.

Name Changed

weso26
He has been watching to much Robbie Keane. His performance mirrored him last night. Arms up in the air every time he lost the ball, moaning at all his teammates.

There were a couple of good balls passed into him that he lost, and he blamed other players. Carrick played one good ball in to him and he was caught on his heels, the defender cut in in front of him and took the ball and he went mad. About a minute later another similar ball was played into his feet and he miscontrolled it so he blamed the pass.

It was a poor performance but that's not a problem for me. Every players has good and bad spells. Sometimes his attitude though is annoying. When playing bad, you need to work harder to do well and basically try your best. I really don't think he gave it 100%.

But anyway, as I said every player has good and bad patches, hopefully this was just a bad game.

Red_Aaron

the disappointing part was that it was clearly affecting him as the game went on.

the very best players mess things up but they dont dwell on it, they're more intent on making up for it at the next oportunity

berbs was clearly affected by his play and it got worse and worse as the game went on, he needs to learn to shake that shit off because he's f*ckin mint when his tails up

MPTutd

He is not mentally capable of becoming a top player. He lets things get to him too much. He does not have a lot of mental strength. IMHO.

zub2007

He has got to sort out his attitude, sometimes it is really bad

Rooney1987

He has been watching to much Robbie Keane. His performance mirrored him last night. Arms up in the air every time he lost the ball, moaning at all his teammates.
Yeah I really hate this not just him I hate it when Rooney does it. There was one really bad one the other week when Hernandez, Berba, Nani broke away Hernandez crossed just behind him and Berba threw a right tantrum arms in the air while the ball was still in the area. Really wish he would cut that out.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

He was awful Sharky. One of his worst ever for United. I'd love to see the stats on how many times he had the ball and how many times it was either taken off him or he just gave it away.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He's frustrated because it isn't happening for him. Good start to the season, but as has been said its his third season now and he should be flying.

Mostly its disappointing that he hasn't kicked on from that Liverpool match.
Harking back to Feed Me's point earlier on, this is the sort of criticism that is unfair.

How long as Rooney been at the club? Fletcher? Evra?

All three of them have put in very poor performances at times over the last 12 months or so and none of them get posts reminding us how long they've been at the club as a reason they should never have a bad game. After getting through the magic first two years at the club, is no player allowed a bad game ever again?

In general, though, I think the stick he's got for last night's performance is fair and Red Aaron makes a god point about how frustrating it is to visibly watch someone implode, mentally, on the pitch. After constant stropping at himself and everyone else around him, was there ever any doubt he'd cock up the decent chance when it finally came his way?

He's an odd one, Berbatov. He comes across as such a humble, nice guy in interviews but there seems to be a flouncing diva just beneath the surface when he steps on a football pitch. Our club psychologists have their work cut out with him but it's a job worth doing. If he can regain his early season form, playing in front of our rejuvenated defence, we're going to be a very difficult side to beat.

Godfather

Nah he was awful, really awful. One of those games when almost nothing positive happened for him.
This.

One good half volley in the first half but absolutely shite for the rest of the game.
Frustrating to see him not coming close to his best at all atm.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
one way or another we all know that Berba is more than capable of playin well at the highest level. Lets not turn our back at him after two poor games.

Not my favouirte player by any means but he did play well at ethe begining of this season.

redwhiteblack

Berba and Nani = Ruud and Ronnie mark 2.

Nani is our most important attacking player, he's taken stick from the fans, stick from other players, stick from Fergie and he's risen through it and shown his quality. It takes balls to do that at OT and not just fold.

Berbatov should be sitting down with Nani and asking him for advice rather than trying to make it look like Nani is somehow a lesser player than himself.

It didn't end well for Ruud when he developed a problem with our most exciting creative player, Berbatov should take note.

Commadus

To me he is mentally weak - he is having a bad run of form - big deal but its affecting him and his antics on the pitch is clearly showing that. Some players when on bad form try to make it up with running harder. Berba just seems to go into himself and become agitated if things are not going right.

I am sure SAF has noticed this but sometimes its hard to change a player that is set in his ways. In the end its upto Berba himself to sort it out and find a solution.

When Berba had a flying start to the season many of his supporters on here were calling out his fiercest critics in smug satisfaction that they had finally been proven right. Which inadvertantly raised his expectations too much only for the knives to be out when he had a dip in form.

I hope for his own sanity he has a good performance in the next week.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Berba and Nani = Ruud and Ronnie mark 2.

Nani is our most important attacking player, he's taken stick from the fans, stick from other players, stick from Fergie and he's risen through it and shown his quality. It takes balls to do that at OT and not just fold.

Berbatov should be sitting down with Nani and asking him for advice rather than trying to make it look like Nani is somehow a lesser player than himself.

It didn't end well for Ruud when he developed a problem with our most exciting creative player, Berbatov should take note.
yep, Berba has a long record of bollocking Nani.

Decotron

There were a couple of good balls passed into him that he lost, and he blamed other players. Carrick played one good ball in to him and he was caught on his heels, the defender cut in in front of him and took the ball and he went mad. About a minute later another similar ball was played into his feet and he miscontrolled it so he blamed the pass.

It was a poor performance but that's not a problem for me. Every players has good and bad spells. Sometimes his attitude though is annoying. When playing bad, you need to work harder to do well and basically try your best. I really don't think he gave it 100%.

But anyway, as I said every player has good and bad patches, hopefully this was just a bad game.
Good post. The arms in the air bit wrecks my head. Not a habit I like to see in any player, worse that its one of our more experienced players at it...

horselesspaul

Man Utd fan
It's Manchester United, United or Man United.
I think his niggling low level knee injury has returned, following a spell of full on football after a nice World Cup long rest.
He needs help in the lone striker role and accurate passing to him but last night he was unhappy with his own performance, mostly.

buckooo1978

the biggest problem last nite was berbatovs attitude - when things arent going your way you knuckle down and work hard for the team

dont whinge, bitch or moan

Eirik Raude

He's not a lone striker. When we play one man up top, it has to be someone who doesn't build a fecking house in offside position, and then barricades inside for 85 minutes.

Give him a partner, and Berba will shine again pretty soon.

Ringo 07

I can't wait to see the back of Berba to be honest. He is an incredible player but just doesnt really suit the club. Only thing is that I don't think there is a club out ther ethat can afford him so we might be stuck with him for a while yet. Chelsea got us out of jail by buying Veron from us when it was clear that it wasnt working. I think Fergie will keep playing Berba even when he is not on form in the hope of getting the best out of him so that he can sell him on eventually.

Commadus

Berba won't be sold on he will be with us until his contract expires. In the summer who is going to pay top money for a 30 year old with 1 year left on his contract on big wages.

Just keep him and play him as much as possible.

Ole240599

He's not good enough to be centre-forward for a team like Manchester Utd.

MTF

He's an odd one, Berbatov. He comes across as such a humble, nice guy in interviews but there seems to be a flouncing diva just beneath the surface when he steps on a football pitch. Our club psychologists have their work cut out with him but it's a job worth doing. If he can regain his early season form, playing in front of our rejuvenated defence, we're going to be a very difficult side to beat.
It is very weird. I've heard a lot about Berba's passion for football, and when he speaks he seems to be aware that this is his career's peak, and that he wants to make the best of the opportunity.

He enjoys assisting, he enjoys scoring... you can see he really enjoys playing well, but when he's not its not like he tries enough to do other things well. Saving energy is one thing, I wouldn't want my striker running around all game long, he'd be knackered before the end of it. But sometimes like yesterday Berbatov can't even be bothered to take 3 steps back to be onside when his team has the ball.

And the antics when someone doesn't pass to him, or when the pass or cross misses... I dunno, I wouldn't have that in my team. There's no need for calling someone out when they tried to make a pass, but somehow it went wrong, especially when you're not the manager, the captain, or at least somewhat senior. I don't know if SAF has spoken to Berbatov about it, but it seems he hasn't, and it baffles me a bit.

I'm always right

Wow! It really has started again, feck.

He really should stop bitching though, no-one loves a diva and that seems to be his biggest problem.

Red_Aaron

following on from the point many have made about poor touches affecting him i also notice that when things aren't going right he tends to try even more difficult things to get over it

most players when they are having a bad day tend to concentrate on doing the simple things first, easy control-easy pass just to get themselves going again and not to balls things up for the team

not berba, he tends to do the opposite. if he messes up a pass he'll try an even more extravagant one next time, if he loses the ball whilst dribbling he'll try to pull of a difficult piece of skill to beat his man next time and so on and so on. All this does is lead him to become even more frustrated with himself

he's a bit of a masochist i reckon

still mint on his day though

Ekeke

Wow! It really has started again, feck.

He really should stop bitching though, no-one loves a diva and that seems to be his biggest problem.
His biggest problem is losing the form of early in the season. We've had divas before that we loved because they won us matches everyweek. Berbatov hasnt been doing that consistantly over a long enough period, so he needs to get back to it.

Alex

Their are some true Manchester United fans on here, no?

VoetbalWizard

he is on exactly 1 in 3 for his united career.

it'll be interesting to see what happens this summer. He signed a four year deal with us in 2008. In the coming summer, he'll have 12 months left on his deal. Unlike some, dimitar will not have the same leverage when it comes to negotiations as for him it really is the case that after united the only way is down. Being at age 30.5 at that point, I think we'll offer him a 2 year extension.

Commadus

For Tottenham he scored 27 goals in 70 EPL appearances. For us he has scored 27 goals in 74 appearances.

He is pretty much the same player he was at Tottenham but too many on here have over rated him - hes a good a player - a good addition to the squad - its the fact we shelled £30m on him that also adds to the mix.

redwhiteblack

For Tottenham he scored 27 goals in 70 EPL appearances. For us he has scored 27 goals in 74 appearances.

He is pretty much the same player he was at Tottenham but too many on here have over rated him - hes a good a player - a good addition to the squad - its the fact we shelled £30m on him that also adds to the mix.
I think for many, Commadus, this is the point exactly.

When a player completes a step up transfer (ie a move to a bigger club) they are expected to be BETTER. On rare occasions, when a player has managed BPITW status at their previous club, it's accepted that it isn't likely they'll surpass this and it's entirely fine for them to simply replicate their previous form (ie Ronaldo at Real Madrid, if Messi were to leave Barca etc).

But Berbatov hasn't been any better despite having better service, CL experience, far better players to train with (since joining he's trained with Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Scholes, Giggs, Owen, Nani...), a better stadium, better facilities...the list goes on. Statistically he's been just worse for us than he was for Spurs.

I like Berbatov as a player and I think he really, really cares about his time at United. I just don't think it's been a successful transfer by anyone's estimation and I don't think he fits our style of play.

Commadus

I think for many, Commadus, this is the point exactly.

When a player completes a step up transfer (ie a move to a bigger club) they are expected to be BETTER. On rare occasions, when a player has managed BPITW status at their previous club, it's accepted that it isn't likely they'll surpass this and it's entirely fine for them to simply replicate their previous form (ie Ronaldo at Real Madrid, if Messi were to leave Barca etc).

But Berbatov hasn't been any better despite having better service, CL experience, far better players to train with (since joining he's trained with Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Scholes, Giggs, Owen, Nani...), a better stadium, better facilities...the list goes on. Statistically he's been just worse for us than he was for Spurs.

I like Berbatov as a player and I think he really, really cares about his time at United. I just don't think it's been a successful transfer by anyone's estimation and I don't think he fits our style of play.
Many had a very selective history of Berba at Tottenham and only remembering his best moments akin to judging a player on Youtube clips.

Berba is similar to Rooney in that he scores in bursts and I expect him to get goals soon enough. Overall the money has been spent and all we can hope for is Berba has a better year than last.

Status
Not open for further replies.