Bale or Cavani, which is the better deal?

Leethal

Bale. Not even close.

Bale's played feck all football last season, after being totally frozen our for reasons we already know, and still somehow managed to play more football than Cavani; (if you include internationals), in a much more competitive team, and a far more competitive league. He's also almost 3 years younger, and has actually kicked a football in the last 7 months, and not been sat on a farm with Covid contemplating retirement as nobody of worth wanted him. People forget Cavani's injury record of late is about as bad as Bale's is, yet, Bale is a much more talented footballer.

I rank the transfer of Cavani as possibly one of our worst piece of businesses I've seen in a very, very long time. Obviously we've had some terrible signings, but they are terrible in hindsight for the most. This is terrible from the outset. And he's supposedly our marquee signing this window.

Also, whilst Cavani is free, he's still going to cost us a fortune after you account for agent fees, signing on bonus and wages. And he won't be able to kick a football for us, for at least a month or two. At best.

Last edited:

Champagne Football

I guess you've never heard of Jimmy Greaves (for example) ... you know, the man who scored more top flight goals in England than anyone, ever. Or maybe Danny Blanchflower rings a bell? Or Dave Mackay? Or several others I could name.
Fair point but we can get confused when comparing biggest legends the clubs ever had vs clubs best ever. I think if Spurs had have been challenging for trophies like they were in the 60's in Bale's time, then it's very possible Bale could have won a Ballon D'Or or 2, and would be higher up the list of biggest ever Spurs legends.

ti vu

Bale. Not even close.

Bale's played feck all football last season, after being totally frozen our for reasons we already know, and still somehow managed to play more football than Cavani; (if you include internationals), in a much more competitive team, and a far more competitive league. He's also almost 3 years younger, and has actually kicked a football in the last 7 months, and not been sat on a farm with Covid contemplating retirement as nobody of worth wanted him. People forget Cavani's injury record of late is about as bad as Bale's is, yet, Bale is a much more talented footballer.

I rank the transfer of Cavani as possibly one of our worst piece of businesses I've seen in a very, very long time. Obviously we've had some terrible signings, but they are terrible in hindsight for the most. This is terrible from the outset. And he's supposedly our marquee signing this window.

Also, whilst Cavani is free, he's still going to cost us a fortune after you account for agent fees, signing on bonus and wages. And he won't be able to kick a football for us, for at least a month or two. At best.
Agree. I will add.

Bale knows the league, and the club. It's always more comfortable to live close to home for culture reason. Bale had higher ceiling, and between his injuries, he has adapted to play with them all his career. He's not supposed to carry the team but adding extra X-factor. And Bale is capable of produce X-factor even in the most pressure environment. Bale ain't supposed to carry Tottenham.

In comparison, Cavani is new to the league. After getting hit with niggling injuries, his performance in French league nosediced. There is question whether he can adapt with all these thing at once now he's 34 in few months. Cavani is flat track bully, lack X factor. Often failed to give cutting edge in important games in CL. Cavani would have to do very well to contribute as much as required, given he would have a different role now than he used be have. In substitute role, he's not rated by PSG as high as Icardi, nor Choupo Mouting this past season.

We paid more up front with wage and agent fee for Cavani in the first year, while Bale one year loan package is 9m. It only gets even if Cavani does well enough for second year.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...t-tottenham-bargain-9m-season-long-loan-deal/

Last edited:

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Lots of photos now of Bale in full training - I reckon he's going to be all ready to play after the international break.

I can only imagine the thoughts of opposition defenders when they see a front three of Son - Kane - Bale on the team sheets.

shahzy

revisit this in 3 months. There's no way to tell currently other than guesses

ghagua

Cavani will surprise people if the team creates chances. He is a hard worker and will improve the team even at his age. Bale if he manages to stay fit is simply world-class.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
I find decision-making at United a bit puzzling. I actually think Ibra was better when he left United for MLS than Cavani now.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Even better for Spurs.

Look he is not going to be the Bale of old that Spurs had when he left whereby he is going to blast through a team with sheer pace, he was blisteringly fast and really hard to knock off the ball. Probably lost a yard or two nowadays, but his all round game has grown and his left peg is still just as good as it ever was, and I feel he still has enough in his locker to give any defender some problems, if people let him cut inside from the right and shoot they are asking for trouble. I think he knows at 31 he is not coming in to be the main man, that is Kane, but if they can get a good performance out of him once a week and can give Moura a rest in the process it is all win for Spurs.

I am not sure his body could do more than once a week, but then, that same argument can be applied to Cavani who is what 2 years older?

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Wow, this thread is so premature, even if it's just pure speculation. :lol:

I'm biased for Bale in this but I haven't seen Cavani play in ages so I don't know. Also Bale has the advantage of going to club he knows with a manager he already knows and at his best I think he's a better player than Cavani. With that said Cavani can also do very good for United and it's in a position they definitely needed to get someone, so let's just wait until both of them get to play.

Tarrou

Only time will tell. It will probably be settled by which one has the least injury problems - but personally i dont think either were good decisions.

Wilt

Wow, this thread is so premature, even if it's just pure speculation. :lol:

I'm biased for Bale in this but I haven't seen Cavani play in ages so I don't know. Also Bale has the advantage of going to club he knows with a manager he already knows and at his best I think he's a better player than Cavani. With that said Cavani can also do very good for United and it's in a position they definitely needed to get someone, so let's just wait until both of them get to play.
That’s the whole idea of it :rolleyes:

Both Spurs and and Utd have taken a risk/gamble, so at this point in time have they got it right?

Wilt

I can only imagine the thoughts of opposition defenders when they see a front three of Son - Kane - Bale on the team sheets.
:lol:
Must admit I would‘nt be too happy defending with those three feckers running at me

Andy_Cole

It’s like predicting who will be better at football. My 2 year old or my neighbours 2 year old. No clue!

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
Honestly it could go either way but if it's to be one or the other i'm going with Cavani because has something to prove in England (plus he is quick, a great desire to win when playing & he is strong & intelligent.).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Bale has turned up injured for a month minimum.
Cavani just has to turn up fit to currently lead.

Aside from that Bale has more to do as he's surely coming in as a starter.
Whereas Cavani is Ighalo souped up. We hope.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Overall I would say that peak Bale was a better player than peak Cavani. Given that Cavani is older and trying to fit into a new league I would say Bale is the better signing.

Time will tell though.

rotherham_red

Of course he can, I was comparing best case escenarios. There's a good chance Cavani scores 15 goals as a sub while Bale only generates problems in his team.

If Cavani ends up scoring 20 goals this year, or even 30, he will be helping the club and can be extended for another year (an option that Tottenham don't have, right?). What I mean is that he can't turn out to be a perfect signing, because he isn't supposed to be the starting 9 of United, if things go right, that spot is for Martial, younger and potentially better than what a 34 or 35 y/o Cavani could offer. If Cavani turn 10 years back in time this season, it will cost Martial, a player that should be United's future, gaming time and spotlight.

But if Bale goes back to his better level, Tottenham will lose what, a season of Lucas Moura and would leave next year being 29? That's not a great deal, and Moura leaving would be debatable, since if Bale performs like that he will be back at Real Madrid and Moura will become the first option right away.
But we're not expecting Cavani to be the main man in that sense. He's here to provide back-up and a plan b to Martial in certain game situations. If he outperforms Martial, then that's on Martial rather than Cavani or the club.

Also, I'm not a big fan of the signing at all, but he does give us a lot more tactical flexibility than we had previously. If we need to go long, we now can. We could even have him start up front and have Rashford and Martial on the wings, which strengthens our bench considerably with Greenwood there instead of Ighalo.

If Cavani scores 10-15 this season, he'll have more than done his job. While also providing a reference point to the likes of Greenwood, Rashford and Martial (though in the case of the latter two, I'm not sure how much more guidance he could provide than Zlatan).

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I rank the transfer of Cavani as possibly one of our worst piece of businesses I've seen in a very, very long time.
Wouldn't it be best to wait for the guy to have played a single minute for the team before making such a claim? You may well end up being right, but at least let him fail before you call him a failure

jackal&hyde

Bale. Not even close.

But what do you really think of Cavani?

I'd say Cavani will be the more impactful signing as he complements well our young strikers.

Leethal

But what do you really think of Cavani?

I'd say Cavani will be the more impactful signing as he complements well our young strikers.
Nothing against him, personally. He'd had been a mug to turn down United, since no one else wanted him and we've thrown 200k a week and a cheeky signing on fee. Cavani and his agent must have been high-fiving and slapping cocks all the way to the bank after pulling this one over us.

He just epitomises everything that's wrong with United's transfer dealings post Fergie. Complete last second panic buy after we fecked everything else up and he was our safety net. Then in a PR spin attempting to drum up fan interest, (when fans were generally fuming at the transfer window), we've thrown the #7 shirt on him to try to big him up.

Nothing against him, personally. He'd had been a mug to turn down United, since no one else wanted him and we've thrown 200k a week and a cheeky signing on fee. Cavani and his agent must have been high-fiving and slapping cocks all the way to the bank after pulling this one over us.

He just epitomises everything that's wrong with United's transfer dealings post Fergie. Complete last second panic buy after we fecked everything else up and he was our safety net. Then in a PR spin attempting to drum up fan interest, (when fans were generally fuming at the transfer window), we've thrown the #7 shirt on him to try to big him up.
Have you ever posted anything positive?

Also no need to exaggerate figures to make a point.

jackal&hyde

He was wanted by Simeone at A. Madrid but they couldn't shift Costa to make room.

Sure. When there's something positive to post about. I'm not going to sugar coat and pretend everything's rosy when it's so clearly not.
Well I’m looking forward to seeing him play.

There’s too much negativity, it’s not good for everyone’s health.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
God why do we always have to compare, these threads almost never go well for us.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Is there another fanbase that makes comparisons as much as ours?

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
there is nothing to compare here, one is a brit who's been freed from his evil oppressors and will fly high in London, the other is an old foreigner who is just here for the money and found a sucker in the shape of the desperate yestermen from Old Trafford

Member 90887

This thread is gonna age like milk. Espacially with some of the comments of experts in here that can say for sure, before any of the players even kicked a ball for their respective teams, that a player is gonna be better than the other one.

Member 90887

Bale. Not even close.

This is a mess of a post, so biased and misinformed and extremely negative.

Let's take an example, i could say right now that nobody wanted bale even though he was available for 3 years now, in his prime. While Cavani was extremely close to A.Madrid just this summer.

If you include internationals ? really ? when you have to be that specific to make an argument usually it means that the argument is not good to begin with.

And Cavani is not gonna kick a ball for us for at least a month or two ? at best ?

This really is a mess of a post.

Anyways, let's see if your expert opinion will hold in a few months.

Last edited by a moderator:

Levenstein

I think we need Cavani type of player more. So I will say Cavani and I believe he will have great impact.

I like Bale and keep an eye on him definately.

Ludens the Red

Bale. Not even close.

As the guy above said, mess of a post. Cavani isn’t even injury prone, the one he picked up in 2018 was his first big injury. Bale has had numerous different ones over the years.

Shiva87

Once the disappointment of the transfer window has subsided - I do think that Cavani could be an important addition for us. However, Bale may do much better at Spurs (and could even take them close to the top of the league, if he finds his form).

I think our players will get a boost having Cavani in the training - as his attitude has been impeccable. A lot of his influence may come off the pitch (which definitely won't be the case for Bale) in the way we train, influencing the mentality of the group, working closely with Martial + Greenwood + Rashford, and providing Ole an option B in the last 20 mins / cup games.

If Cavani manages to usurp Martial or Rashford's position in the starting XI - then I would say he is the better signing, even if Bale outperforms him.

Leethal

Insulting another member
As the guy above said, mess of a post. Cavani isn’t even injury prone, the one he picked up in 2018 was his first big injury. Bale has had numerous different ones over the years.
If you're going to be a big man, and talk shit, at least be fecking right. Moron.

19/20groin strainJan 13, 2020Jan 30, 202017 days5
19/20Muscle InjuryDec 17, 2019Dec 30, 201913 days2
19/20IllDec 12, 2019Dec 16, 20194 days1
19/20Calf InjuryDec 6, 2019Dec 10, 20194 days1
19/20FitnessSep 19, 2019Oct 17, 201928 days5
19/20Hip InjuryAug 26, 2019Oct 17, 201952 days8
18/19RestApr 29, 2019May 1, 20192 days1
18/19FitnessApr 5, 2019Apr 5, 20190 days-
18/19Muscle InjuryMar 10, 2019Apr 4, 201925 days4
18/19Hamstring InjuryFeb 10, 2019Mar 3, 201921 days6
18/19Hamstring InjuryOct 26, 2018Nov 4, 20189 days2
18/19Muscle InjuryJul 1, 2018Aug 21, 201851 days3

So i haven't seen any highlights yet but looks like it's 1-0 Cavani without him even playing...
Bale might have missed the shot but it was brilliant play to get in that position in the first place. Next time that goes in.

There is a gigantic question mark over Cavani, who has never even played in a top league before, let alone dominated it as Bale has.

Ludens the Red

If you're going to be a big man, and talk shit, at least be fecking right. Moron.

19/20groin strainJan 13, 2020Jan 30, 202017 days5
19/20Muscle InjuryDec 17, 2019Dec 30, 201913 days2
19/20IllDec 12, 2019Dec 16, 20194 days1
19/20Calf InjuryDec 6, 2019Dec 10, 20194 days1
19/20FitnessSep 19, 2019Oct 17, 201928 days5
19/20Hip InjuryAug 26, 2019Oct 17, 201952 days8
18/19RestApr 29, 2019May 1, 20192 days1
18/19FitnessApr 5, 2019Apr 5, 20190 days-
18/19Muscle InjuryMar 10, 2019Apr 4, 201925 days4
18/19Hamstring InjuryFeb 10, 2019Mar 3, 201921 days6
18/19Hamstring InjuryOct 26, 2018Nov 4, 20189 days2
18/19Muscle InjuryJul 1, 2018Aug 21, 201851 days3
Like I said, first big injury was in 2019... someone who was playing 30+ league games for years and years isn’t injury prone.

Go and compare Bales games in the same period.
And :lol: at most of those on the list...
0 days injury? What the feck is a zero day injury?
Rest? fitness? ill? Did you even read through them ?
Those are not serious injuries. He had a major injury and usually when you have those you get niggly ones on the way back as seen by that. I’m sorry you cannot work out the difference.
Thats two posts from you that I would describe as mediocre....And you’ve been reported for insults.