Bale or Cavani, which is the better deal?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I was probably disappointed by the Cavani transfer given the expectation of Sancho, but Bale was always going to be a disaster. He's been a pointless footballer and pathetic professional for a long time and has only been saved by his reputation among the British.

Needham

If Spurs finish 8th, 9th or below then obviously Bale was a disaster. But if he can get them up around 7th or 6th he'll have been worth a punt.

Withnail

If Spurs finish 8th, 9th or below then obviously Bale was a disaster. But if he can get them up around 7th or 6th he'll have been worth a punt.
Surely they should be comfortably top 6 with or without Bale?

Two starts, 1 goal and no assists so far. He'd really want to get the finger out to be considered to have contributed anything towards their league finish.

Redlyn

I think his worth is better measured by his stats / performances than their league finish becuse his metrics belong to him but the league position could be based on other factors with very little to do with him. They could finish 4th and his signing could still have been pointless.

Falcow

Bale. Not even close.

Bale's played feck all football last season, after being totally frozen our for reasons we already know, and still somehow managed to play more football than Cavani; (if you include internationals), in a much more competitive team, and a far more competitive league. He's also almost 3 years younger, and has actually kicked a football in the last 7 months, and not been sat on a farm with Covid contemplating retirement as nobody of worth wanted him. People forget Cavani's injury record of late is about as bad as Bale's is, yet, Bale is a much more talented footballer.

I rank the transfer of Cavani as possibly one of our worst piece of businesses I've seen in a very, very long time. Obviously we've had some terrible signings, but they are terrible in hindsight for the most. This is terrible from the outset. And he's supposedly our marquee signing this window.

Also, whilst Cavani is free, he's still going to cost us a fortune after you account for agent fees, signing on bonus and wages. And he won't be able to kick a football for us, for at least a month or two. At best.
Sorry old boy, but this deserves a repost.

Especially the bit where you said "I rank the transfer of Cavani as possibly one of our worst piece of businesses I've seen in a very, very long time"

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
In hindsight, I'm not sure why we ever thought Bale was going to be anything other than a disaster at Spurs. If he wasn't a British guy, the media here simply wouldn't overlook his numerous huge flaws, the biggest one of course being that he seems not to care one bit if he actually plays or not.

Kaos

Tbh I never expected Bale to be this bad. Easy to forget how good he was in his earlier Madrid days (the two CL goals), and even back towards the end of his first stint at Spurs. I figured he wasn't that old so if he could be bothered he'd have been a very good option for this Spurs side. Turns out he wasn't bothered.

Cavani on the other hand has pleasantly surprised me. Admittedly, I wasn't his biggest fan at PSG (always thought he used to miss too many sitters) so I felt a little disappointed that we missed out on Sancho and filled our no.7 shirt with an older, non-match fit Cavani. Turns out he's alright :)

romufc

Bale has not played regular football for years now, Cavani seems to have the hunger.

On work rate alone Cavani is way better. Bale should be hungrier than he is, it is clear to see he doesn't care about playing football.

Makelele

In hindsight, I'm not sure why we ever thought Bale was going to be anything other than a disaster at Spurs. If he wasn't a British guy, the media here simply wouldn't overlook his numerous huge flaws, the biggest one of course being that he seems not to care one bit if he actually plays or not.
The defense of Bale in Britain and attack on Zidane/Madrid/Spaniards was always ridiculously out of proportions. For reasons I believe we’re not always grounded in football.

TheRedHearted

Is this a joke?

Why on earth would you have wanted us to get Bale?

He's absolutely finished.
Because he plays as a RW.
That’s about all the reason why. It’s a loan. Not much to lose with it. Use him as depth or give him a go as a starter. A right winger is a player that plays on the right side or an attack. This person creates with and can put in a cross. They are natural at this position. We currently have one whose in the under 23s and another on loan. Even if Diallo comes in an experienced winger like Bale would have been good to rotate. If he flopped then so what- back to Madrid.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Bale has not really had many chances from "The Special One". Cavani is an out and out centre forward which Utd desperately needed and has been given alot of game time. I think is is unfair to evaluate them against each other. I feel a bit sorry for Bale as he has moved from one cnutish manager to another.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Bale just isn’t the player he was.

Imagine if he’d have had the commitment to his game, rather than golf

Last edited:

Djemba-Djemba

Because he plays as a RW.
That’s about all the reason why. It’s a loan. Not much to lose with it. Use him as depth or give him a go as a starter. A right winger is a player that plays on the right side or an attack. This person creates with and can put in a cross. They are natural at this position. We currently have one whose in the under 23s and another on loan. Even if Diallo comes in an experienced winger like Bale would have been good to rotate. If he flopped then so what- back to Madrid.
He'd be a loan on massive wages and the fact is he's finished.

So we'd have just spent a load of money for nothing.

led_scholes

Cavani could stop playing today, go to Montevideo for vacation while collecting his wages, come back for 3 games, score own goals in each, receive a red card and injure Bruno and Rashford and he would still be a better signing.

I do see the Bale situation like Falcao during his 2 year awful period in England. He was in need of game time in an easier league to find form and perhaps confidence. We all thought that Falcao was finished by 2015, but he had a last dance later with Monaco.
Monaco actually seems like a good fit for Bale too.

RUCK4444

Bale is done sadly. As a Welshman myself I could see this in his outings for Wales when he wasn’t getting games at Madrid.

He didn’t just look like he’d lost a yard of pace, it looked more like 5 yards of pace!

He’s just not the same player without that in his game. Still a good finisher but nothing like the player he was.

Red00012

Bale has not really had many chances from "The Special One". Cavani is an out and out centre forward which Utd desperately needed and has been given alot of game time. I think is is unfair to evaluate them against each other. I feel a bit sorry for Bale as he has moved from one cnutish manager to another.
Ya it’s all Jose’s and Zidane’s fault Bale hasn’t been used :lol: Nothing to do with the fact he’s just isn’t good enough and doesn’t give a crap anymore.

hubbuh

The defense of Bale in Britain and attack on Zidane/Madrid/Spaniards was always ridiculously out of proportions. For reasons I believe we’re not always grounded in football.
Absolutely loads of British posters gave Bale pelters and have been hugely critical of him and the move to Spurs. Even people that were critical of Madrid for their treatment of Bale did have grounds to do so. Not-so-subtle suggestions that it's rooted in jingoism are a bit of an unnecessary cheap shot in my opinion.

tomaldinho1

They could easily be in the discussion for top four with their squad. Particularly when you factor in how open the league is this year.

This is Mourinho 101 - fans start to buy into the 'struggle' he has to even get a 1-0 win, expectations are slowly chipped away at and it ends up dividing a fan base to the point we still have fans who believe if Mou had been backed when he wanted Maguire etc. we'd have been in a position to win things. He is deliberately not playing an attacking team, he is deliberately choosing the double pivot and sit in style of play despite the undeniable fact that this Spurs team was capable of playing a much more entertaining and, importantly, effective style of football in recent memory.

slored1

When you watch both on the pitch, you can see who wants to play football and who has only come for the money. Well done, Ed, for picking the right option.

flappyjay

I think psg's pettiness helped him a lot. Staying about 7 months without football helped him get over the injuries.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Bale to Tottenham, Cavani to Utd, two high profile expensive signings.

Calculated or otherwise, it would be fair to say both clubs have taken a risk/gamble.

So, at this point in time, which football club do you think has made the better signing?
Must've missed this when it first came out. Not really sure how either club took a risk or how they can be considered expensive. One on the free the other on loan. Either way, obviously Cavani has been the better signing so far...

Luke1995

Is Bale doing worse than Hazard and Alexis ? I know that's a tough question. But I really thought going back to Spurs would motivate him like he was a kid starting his career again.

I wasn't happy when United signed Cavani but obviously so far the man has done a very good job and deserves big respect for his quality and effort.

Flanders Devil

Sa
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ised-gareth-bale-absence-at-everton-tottenham
José Mourinho 'surprised' by events that led to Gareth Bale absence at Everton
Spurs forward had scan after ‘not feeling comfortable’
‘I don’t think it is an obvious injury,’ says manager
Saw this reported...interesting times again. Bale and Mourinho - was always going to be a huge success or huge problem (if he didn’t get game time / play well). I’m actually surprised it’s taken this long for something to come out.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
At this stage, I’d rank the Bale loan an utter disaster.

Cavani at least adds something to Manchester United.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
Bale simply isn’t bothered. Professionalism aside, it’s not particularly surprising. 3X CL winner, etc etc. The hunger has gone. Happy to pick up his huge wages.

Needham

I was probably disappointed by the Cavani transfer given the expectation of Sancho, but Bale was always going to be a disaster. He's been a pointless footballer and pathetic professional for a long time and has only been saved by his reputation among the British.
Yeah I got friends in Inverness who go about Bale's wonderfulness 24/7.

Raredaredevil

This thread should be marked as completed. The answer is clear for everyone. I never thought Bale would end up being such a disastrous transfer, at least Spurs got him on a loan. Crazy to think he is only 31, an age which most footballers are now peaking in their prime.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Bale is probably just over with football already. Tired of all the shitbag fans, players, managers and media. I don't blame him but I would like him to display his immence talents untill the end of his career

flappyjay

I don't know why people keep saying his interest is gone. His body is done and not everyone is like Ryan Giggs, they can't reinvent themselves. His lost his pace and doesn't know how to get around that. Similar to Rooney his body checked out, it wasn't lack of desire. He dropped down all the way to the championship.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I don't know why people keep saying his interest is gone. His body is done and not everyone is like Ryan Giggs, they can't reinvent themselves. His lost his pace and doesn't know how to get around that. Similar to Rooney his body checked out, it wasn't lack of desire. He dropped down all the way to the championship.