Bale.... or Willian

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Well this thread will have spectacularly backfired if Ronaldo goes to Juve, Bale stays in Madrid and Willian goes to Barca :lol:

red thru&thru

I think any potential signing will depend on how highly we rate our youngsters, in particularly Chong. Chong plays in a similar role to Willian. So if we could get Willian, he could potentially mentor Chong. Very similar in style of play.

GM K

Don't want Willian at all
You only reject the chance to sell a Willian if you have a better option for the right wing available. Right now the better options don't seem available at all unless of course we decide to go for an exciting young prospect and that for me will be a bad idea considering the potential of Chong. I prefer Willian because, amongst other things, he is 29. Chong can understudy and deputize for him until he is ready and I think he can be in another two to three seasons.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Gosh, Willian is really underrated. Have you seen him whip in crosses at all?
I haven't but its really difficult to understand that if he is so good then why are his stats so average? We lack goal scoring outlets and by looking at Willian's stats, they don't really show that he could be one. His performances in the WC also didn't help change my opinion. But since I don't follow Chelsea I might be wrong. Hopefully that's the case if at all we sign him.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
You only reject the chance to sell a Willian if you have a better option for the right wing available. Right now the better options don't seem available at all unless of course we decide to go for an exciting young prospect and that for me will be a bad idea considering the potential of Chong. I prefer Willian because, amongst other things, he is 29. Chong can understudy and deputize for him until he is ready and I think he can be in another two to three seasons.
We have two top prospects stuck on our bench (Rashford/Martial) is Willian that much better or will he be just be another expensive squad player (which is all he is at Chelsea) past his best?

GM K

I haven't but its really difficult to understand that if he is so good then why are his stats so average? We lack goal scoring outlets and by looking at Willian's stats, they don't really show that he could be one. His performances in the WC also didn't help change my opinion. But since I don't follow Chelsea I might be wrong. Hopefully that's the case if at all we sign him.
Willian's stats are deceptive. He is your classical 'stats don't tell the whole story' example. He does not have low scoring numbers because he misses obvious chances. He rarely does. I believe his stats are the way they are because he is one of the hardest working team players you will ever see. He is a highly tactical manager's delight and that's why Jose probably loved him. Most importantly for United, we need someone who can cause problems for the oposition on the right and whip in good crosses. Willian can do that. Like I have said, if we had better options available, why not? But if don't and we can get Willian, it will be insane not to.

GM K

We have two top prospects stuck on our bench (Rashford/Martial) is Willian that much better or will he be just be another expensive squad player (which is all he is at Chelsea) past his best?
Martial and Rashford have not been good playing from the right and they don't seem to want to fight for that right wing short. Willian is a far better (and willing) right winger than both.

Devil may care

If we were bringing Willian in as a RB conversion then whatever, but as a winger he is very average, Conte didn't drop him for shits and giggles, he's as erratic in the final 3rd as a 21 year old winger, sure he'll have great games here and there where he'll ping some good balls in or score a long range worldie, but he often makes bad choices in the final 3rd and is a poor finisher, his stats are garbage for a winger in a top side, he doesn't create or score enough for a front 3 player.

He gets in the Brazil side due to their system, with his workhorse style balancing out Neymar, Marcelo and Coutinho to give them more freedom, and that's why Mourinho loves him, he works like a fullback, and in his Chelsea side offered a balance due to Hazard not being all that good at tracking back, same as Neymar, we don't need that shit as our fullbacks don't do a lot of attacking and we have Sanchez on the left who works his socks off and we just bought Fred who's biggest asset is covering ground.

What we need is someone on that right side that can drift and knit things together, a player like De Bruyne, Eriksen, Silva, Coutinho etc....basically what Mata is supposed to do but faster and stronger. Another thing to consider is Lingard, everyone has a boner for him right now and if we play 4-3-3 then the right side of the front 3 is his most likely way into the starting 11, now long term I think we'll need to address this position but I'd certainly rather a season of Lingard than £60M on a 30 year old generic winger like Willian, let the next manager sort this issue out at a later date.

BlueHaze

If we were bringing Willian in as a RB conversion then whatever, but as a winger he is very average, Conte didn't drop him for shits and giggles, he's as erratic in the final 3rd as a 21 year old winger, sure he'll have great games here and there where he'll ping some good balls in or score a long range worldie, but he often makes bad choices in the final 3rd and is a poor finisher, his stats are garbage for a winger in a top side, he doesn't create or score enough for a front 3 player.

He gets in the Brazil side due to their system, with his workhorse style balancing out Neymar, Marcelo and Coutinho to give them more freedom, and that's why Mourinho loves him, he works like a fullback, and in his Chelsea side offered a balance due to Hazard not being all that good at tracking back, same as Neymar, we don't need that shit as our fullbacks don't do a lot of attacking and we have Sanchez on the left who works his socks off and we just bought Fred who's biggest asset is covering ground.

What we need is someone on that right side that can drift and knit things together, a player like De Bruyne, Eriksen, Silva, Coutinho etc....basically what Mata is supposed to do but faster and stronger. Another thing to consider is Lingard, everyone has a boner for him right now and if we play 4-3-3 then the right side of the front 3 is his most likely way into the starting 11, now long term I think we'll need to address this position but I'd certainly rather a season of Lingard than £60M on a 30 year old generic winger like Willian, let the next manager sort this issue out at a later date.
Completely agree with everything.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Well Ronaldo is gone, Bale doesn't want to come so we must get Willian.

Judas

Open to offers
It's actually a good point, I'd probably rather stick with Lingard than spend 60m on Willian who Jose might love, but who knows if Jose will even be with us this time next year. I don't want us to spend for the sake of it, especially on older players.

Patrick08

Is Marco Reus over his injury problems? Might prove to be a good stop gap if he can stay fit.

60 m for Willian will become a Bad deal pretty soon when we need more Ruthlessness in final third.

ravi2

Is Marco Reus over his injury problems? Might prove to be a good stop gap if he can stay fit.

60 m for Willian will become a Bad deal pretty soon when we need more Ruthlessness in final third.
Reus and Bale are the 2 most injury prone wingers I can think of.
What is wrong with you guys

Devil may care

Reus is very fragile, I don't think he ever wanted to come to England in general so once he knew Spain was off the cards he re-signed with Dortmund and will likely stay there for the remainder as they seem happy enough to put up with his regular inury abscences.

Patrick08

Reus is very fragile, I don't think he ever wanted to come to England in general so once he knew Spain was off the cards he re-signed with Dortmund and will likely stay there for the remainder as they seem happy enough to put up with his regular inury absences.
It's a pity, I liked that player though. A gundogan like deal won't hurt us though if we managed his absences well enough which we have few options for, specially when even Willian would not last more than 2 seasons as a first choice for us, rather we don't sign one and adapt the system according to the players we have. Also if Chelsea are demanding 60 m for Willian , I don't see that happening either like the Perisic deal.

Last edited:

Tony247

Willian Barca is smokescreen. Lets not fall for that. We don't want a player like him who is best at tracking back and garbage going forward. And at 30 he left no room for improvement. If we are so desperate then give academy player a chance. That will save some bucks.

Cliche Guevara

Willian Barca is smokescreen. Lets not fall for that. We don't want a player like him who is best at tracking back and garbage going forward. And at 30 he left no room for improvement. If we are so desperate then give academy player a chance. That will save some bucks.
Here we go again with the smokescreen nonsense!

Who’s smokescreen is he, exactly, in this scenario and why?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
With the tiny pool of players for this position out there, we missed a massive trick in not getting Shaqiri for £13m. I genuinely believe Lingard / rashford should get the chance to keep that position, see how they do this year. Either that or bring Alexis over to the right and let Martial have a make or break run.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

We'll end up with Perisic or Mertens, I'd be happy with either if it means we keep both Rashford and Martial.

Eddy_JukeZ

We'll end up with Perisic or Mertens, I'd be happy with either if it means we keep both Rashford and Martial.
I wouldn't be.

Mertens is not a right winger. He's best as a false 9. He is not good out wide.

Perisic operates better on the left.

WelshManc

Bale is the player I want most over anyone, the guy is just unreal on his day and would easily become our best player alongside DDG.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Go in now for Willian and hijack the Barca bid.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Wouldn't really call it a hijack as Barca seem to have abandoned going for Willian completely with Malcom available, deeming Willian too expensive. Chelsea would want even more from us - £70M?

Judas

Open to offers
Willian for Martial gets more likelier by the day. Rather stick with what we have than make that deal, even if it means keeping Martial's moody backside.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Wouldn't really call it a hijack as Barca seem to have abandoned going for Willian completely with Malcom available, deeming Willian too expensive. Chelsea would want even more from us - £70M?
Well whoever is involved in the deal should be sacked on the spot. In a month he will be 30 year old, player who relies so heavily on his acceleration and also player who never reached double figures in goals or assists in league in his career.

Siorac

Surely we are not going to pay that for Willian? That would be madness.

Damien

Staff
Well whoever is involved in the deal should be sacked on the spot. In a month he will be 30 year old, player who relies so heavily on his acceleration and also player who never reached double figures in goals or assists in league in his career.
Yeah, I think it'd be ridiculous too.

I can't see it either. Just saying what Chelsea would want given they rejected £55M from Barca and we're a direct competitor.

Judas

Open to offers
I think unless we include a player, Chelsea are pricing us well out of a move for him, thankfully. I like Willian, but the sheer cost he'd seemingly cost is unjustifiable.

SSSSnake

May as well lock this thread. We sure as heck aint getting Bale and Willian is likely going to barca

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Well the transfer market has gone mad since 2/3 years ago so it's either join in the fun or remain static and end up like Liverpool did in the past.

Damien

Staff
Well the transfer market has gone mad since 2/3 years ago so it's either join in the fun or remain static and end up like Liverpool did in the past.
For that kind of money and his age you'd expect some sort of consistency with the player you're signing though.

We need someone who can perform week in, week out.

Siorac

We well and truly joined the fun with a then world record fee for Pogba and a Premier League record for Lukaku. 70m for a 30-year old Willian would still be insane. Or 60m, for that matter.

MUFC OK

Martial + £30m for Bale, lets get is done. We need that injection of start quality in our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.