Bale.... or Willian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
good point. We seem to be lagging behind in spotting good talented first team players
Our scouting has been poor for too long. IMO, we should try to get the 2-3 best young players each summer. We just dont have the structure or personel for that unfortunately

maniwin

If we play 3-5-2 then we don't need them. top wingback should be priorities instead.

0le

Our scouting has been poor for too long. IMO, we should try to get the 2-3 best young players each summer. We just dont have the structure or personel for that unfortunately
Utter nonsense. Our scouts have helped us sign plenty of upcoming talent including TFM, Chong and Pereira. Not every signing needs to be £50 million +.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Between Bale or Willian, I'd go Willian.

However, given the choice, I'd ditch both and get an up and coming traditional right winger.

I want that excitement back every time someone from the right wing had the ball. Remember Ronaldo? I want to be willing to expect magic everytime the ball is on that side of the pitch.

Sick of seeing Valencia all alone jockying for 10 seconds vs their left back before passing back to Phil Jones.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Utter nonsense. Our scouts have helped us sign plenty of upcoming talent including TFM, Chong and Pereira. Not every signing needs to be £50 million +.
And how many of these talents have we let go in the past or made it in the end at United? And I'm talking about young players who can be used in the first team, who are about to break through

Sparky Rhiwabon

Between Bale or Willian, I'd go Willian.

However, given the choice, I'd ditch both and get an up and coming traditional right winger.

I want that excitement back every time someone from the right wing had the ball. Remember Ronaldo? I want to be willing to expect magic everytime the ball is on that side of the pitch.

Sick of seeing Valencia all alone jockying for 10 seconds vs their left back before passing back to Phil Jones.
On this basis why not just throw Chong in?

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
Based on the title suggestion that the choices are Bale or Will-i-an, it would have to be the latter for me.

Not just because of the overall cost of Bale, but his hairdo is ridiculous. ;-)

Morpheus 7

Bale all day, Willian is to inconsistent. People worried about the price are hilarious, feck the Glazers! Don't care if they over spend. They under spent long enough. Bale won't be coming so it doesn't matter. The question is more Perisic or Willian, I'd go Perisic. Rather get rinsed by Inter than Chelsea.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Looks like bale is buying into the new Madrid ideas so doesn’t look like he will be moving.

€70m+ for Willian is just wrong. I’d rather not get anyone if that’s how it is. He was great for Chelsea a few years ago, I even raised the question was he the most effective in the league at that time. But that was then and this is now. Silly money

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Obviously I’d prefer Bale but Willian is exactly the kind of player we need. Someone who would actually have his favoured position to play in and although wouldn’t be a big statement signing, would be just as effective as any player we could buy right now. The kind of sidnging we should have been making over the year instead of buying players for marketing purposes, or just generally at random and not having a clue where to play them.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Obviously I’d prefer Bale but Willian is exactly the kind of player we need. Someone who would actually have his favoured position to play in and although wouldn’t be a big statement signing, would be just as effective as any player we could buy right now. The kind of sidnging we should have been making over the year instead of buying players for marketing purposes, or just generally at random and not having a clue where to play them.
If we buy Willian it'll probably be for the biggest fee of the summer by a PL club so though. It would definitely be a "big signing", and a pretty disappointing one at that.

If a pretty good but not great 29 year old at £75m is the only option we have at right-wing then god fecking help the club.

Patrick08

Looks like bale is buying into the new Madrid ideas so doesn’t look like he will be moving.

€70m+ for Willian is just wrong. I’d rather not get anyone if that’s how it is. He was great for Chelsea a few years ago, I even raised the question was he the most effective in the league at that time. But that was then and this is now. Silly money
Indeed. The price is silly. I don't even get why it should be Bale either, he will cost even more and be on huge wages with his injury record also considering he ain't interested to Move to here as well willingly.

I'd consider moving for Robben for a year ,hell even Reus if his price has dropped.

Last edited:

Hellboy

Madness if the club pushes this through. How can you invest £70m on a 30 yo hard working winger with 0 resale value ?

Jose out !

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
70 Million would be nuts, even in today's market. There must be other, younger and similarly capable wingers around for that kind of money.

tidraKS

He's still very good. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to buy him? He's very effective, plays in the same position we've been so bad in recent years, has good shoots, good crosses, is very fast, is a very good dribbler.

I don't understand why you don't like about him. He's a regular in Brazil's first 11 and you're still moaning about his quality. Of course we would all like Bale since he's a superstar but we're never getting him, so Willian would be the best possible option we have.

Reactions: golden_blunder

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Madness if the club pushes this through. How can you invest £70m on a 30 yo hard working winger with 0 resale value ?

Jose out !
Willian has actually added goals to his game over the last few seasons. He's no Gareth Bale but he'd be a big upgrade on Mata and is a big game player.

Shaun Oldman

Throw Chong in, at this stage, for that price, I'd do Fergie "no value".

Anything North of £50m for Willian is crazy at 30 years old.

We should step back from the market, what would Bayern do? They wouldn't pay £70m for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick08

Willian has actually added goals to his game over the last few seasons. He's no Gareth Bale but he'd be a big upgrade on Mata and is a big game player.
He's good but the financial aspect doesn't make sense.

Kevin_

Have wanted Willian for ages. Quite a few mixed opinions on him was one of Brazil’s better players in the World Cup. No doubt he would deliver here.

Last edited by a moderator:

JK-27

Willian is a very consistently good player. You can trust him. Lingard and Martial are very inconsistent.

Bale on the other hand is a match winner, who can produce something out of nothing. I can't think of any current member of the squad who has that quality, so I'd go with Bale.

Reactions: esmufc07

breakout67

Supports
Man City
The financial aspect hasn't made sense for a long time. Players like Mahrez and Van Dyke are going for the same amount of money even though they aren't young prospects. City and Liverpool will make a loss on both of those players but they paid the price for a good player they wanted in.

We'll get 3 years out of him, then flog him off to Italy or China and recoup the wages we paid him over his contract.

Walters_19_MuFc

Looks like it's going to be Willian.

Not a bad player, and will certainly improve our right side, but not the player I wanted.

That said, he suits the way Jose wants to play down to a tee, in that he likes his wingers to be able to drop and link with the midfield, but also has the ability to drive with the ball and get up the pitch in no time. Along with that, he works hard and is pretty consistent when it comes to performance levels. Only thing I would say is that he needs to be racking up more goals and assists.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He's still very good. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to buy him? He's very effective, plays in the same position we've been so bad in recent years, has good shoots, good crosses, is very fast, is a very good dribbler.

I don't understand why you don't like about him. He's a regular in Brazil's first 11 and you're still moaning about his quality. Of course we would all like Bale since he's a superstar but we're never getting him, so Willian would be the best possible option we have.
I do rate him as a player though he’s not at the same level as he was 3-4 years ago so there would be a gamble as to what level he could reach and sustain at United. That’s before even looking at the huge deal it’s gonna take. On the plus side it would help Chong develop. I’ll not moan if we get him but the money being talked about is crazy. Then again the market is crazy

Same with Maguire. I really rate him but as soon as it’s manchester United asking, the exta tax gets thrown on top. It’s annoying

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Should probably read Willian or Perisic in reality.

Greck

Jose out !
It's not the resale value. It's the fact that we could have to start looking for another similar priced RW before his contract is over that must make it an undesirable investment if you can even call it that. That's just poor planning. Not that the manager cares about what happens 3-4 years down the line when he might have left

Bratt

Does the financial aspect make sense regarding any transfer these days?
What really make sense about this transfer for me is the fact that we have Chong in our academy, who’ll probably be ready to fight for a starting place in 2-3 years. Buying a really good 30 year old while we wait for him seems the right decision imo, even if the price is crazy.
I’m sure he’s gonna do wonders for this team, if it happens.

Patrick08

Financial aspect of having a chance to win the PL makes sense.
The financial aspect hasn't made sense for a long time. Players like Mahrez and Van Dyke are going for the same amount of money even though they aren't young prospects. City and Liverpool will make a loss on both of those players but they paid the price for a good player they wanted in.

We'll get 3 years out of him, then flog him off to Italy or China and recoup the wages we paid him over his contract.
And in the mean time We'll also be reducing Martial's growth Rate, game time and value in the market as well with a year left on his contract. It's a tough decision to make.

Also the whole Willian or no title argument doesn't make much sense as we will need to improve as a team to win it, which solely won't depend on Willian or no Willian.

tidraKS

And in the mean time We'll also be reducing Martial's growth Rate, game time and value in the market as well with a year left on his contract. It's a tough decision to make.

Also the whole Willian or no title argument doesn't make much sense as we will need to improve as a team to win it, which solely won't depend on Willian or no Willian.
Martial is not a right winger and will never be. His most dangerous thing is cutting from left to right and having the ball at his right leg. He cannot do that on the right.

I think winning the title means having a group of players where everyone knows his position and plays best at it. To me buying a CB, LB (I believed a lot in Shaw, but not so sure atm) and a RW would complete our team puzzle.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm really not happy with Willian at all, I hope he's just a stop gap but I get the nasty feeling that in three seasons time we'll be trying to sign Douglas Costa and find ourselves back at square one.

Devil may care

I've never wanted Bale at United more but it's not going to happen, at this point I'd rather Lingard than what we are linked with, buying just for the sake of it is not the way to go.

tidraKS

Don't go further than watching this video. I have a feeling that many of you didn't even watch PL last year. He is head and shoulders above Mata and Lingard. Who in our team can run that fast with the ball at feet (2:08) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.