Bale.... or Willian

Status
Not open for further replies.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Does the financial aspect make sense regarding any transfer these days?
What really make sense about this transfer for me is the fact that we have Chong in our academy, who’ll probably be ready to fight for a starting place in 2-3 years. Buying a really good 30 year old while we wait for him seems the right decision imo, even if the price is crazy.
I’m sure he’s gonna do wonders for this team, if it happens.
Once Pep paid 50+ for Stones and Walker financial common sense was an extinct concept. So Willian costs 75, Maguire might cost 60, it’s just the way it is.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
If we buy Willian it'll probably be for the biggest fee of the summer by a PL club so though. It would definitely be a "big signing", and a pretty disappointing one at that.

If a pretty good but not great 29 year old at £75m is the only option we have at right-wing then god fecking help the club.
Where’s the £75m come from? Was €70m before wasn’t it? Seems about right for a top winger in this ridiculous market. Forgot that 29 is absolutely ancient on the Caf as well.

ash_86

Willian personally for me. He is someone who you wouldn't see in the goal or assist columns much. He'd usually be the player involved in the pass before the assist or someone who starts the attack. You'd not believe how good he is unless he plays for the team, just like Matic many of us were against until we saw him in action for us. His high workrate suits Jose's to a tee, running up and down every few moments, starting a counter etc... He's got the football intelligence that would instantly lift the team form inconsistent attack to a potent one and also has enough flair and pace in him to beat a man. I really don't care for the money being quoted as we'd be challenging for title with Willian playing for us.

RedNed77

Don't go further than watching this video. I have a feeling that many of you didn't even watch PL last year. He is head and shoulders above Mata and Lingard. Who in our team can run that fast with the ball at feet (2:08) ?
So spend £70m based on one run against us last year? Most Chelsea fans I have spoken to say he's a great player on his day but his days are not regular enough. I'd have him but, by continuing to overpay we just inflate fees and push players we would genuinely like to see here even further out of our budget. This summer is an ideal time to walk away and use the no value refrain. I don't mind overpaying and contributing to the escalation in player values if its for a top notch player/prospect like Pogba or Martial, but not for a Willian.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Where’s the £75m come from? Was €70m before wasn’t it? Seems about right for a top winger in this ridiculous market. Forgot that 29 is absolutely ancient on the Caf as well.
you're right, £60m then. I still think it's too much for him. He's hardly a top winger. Hazard is a top winger. Sane is a top winger. Willian is a ... good winger.

And 29 (make that 30 in a month) isn't ancient but what it is silly to pay such a massive fee for someone who probably has 2-3 years left at their peak and arguably has declined from their best form in recent seasons.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Don't go further than watching this video. I have a feeling that many of you didn't even watch PL last year. He is head and shoulders above Mata and Lingard. Who in our team can run that fast with the ball at feet (2:08) ?
I was more impressed by his speed at 0:06

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Bale will stay in Real Madrid, especially now that CR is finally gone. He's a Welshman living and working in Madrid; I can hardly picture him living/working in Manchester.

L1nk

So we may or may not have had a €75mill offer accepted for Willian, I really hope this isn't true, particularly when you read that Pulisic could be available for 70 this summer..

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's not a top winger and he's 30 in two weeks.

RedorDead21

He's defo head and shoulders personality wise on a pitch over nearly anyone we have!

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
We didn't go for Ronaldo at 100m but we'll pay Chelsea 75 for Willian (60 is not that different). Absolutely stupid.

Mourinho better deliver but if he doesn't we'll be stuck with all the shite after he leaves at Xmas.

RedorDead21

We didn't go for Ronaldo at 100m but we'll pay Chelsea 75 for Willian (60 is not that different). Absolutely stupid.

Mourinho better deliver but if he doesn't we'll be stuck with all the shite after he leaves at Xmas.
WHo have we got performing better than him in the past 3-4 years?

AndyJ1985

Willian is superior to Mata and Lingard as a winger. That shouldn't even be up for debate. He's also a hard worker and the kind of player Mourinho loves. £75m for a 30 year old is excessive however

Dr. StrangeHate

We aren't paying 75 million for Willian when woody wouldn't pay 50 million for Perisic last year. Our board have proven to be fairly sensible in that regard. Unless the player is world class like Sanchez we are not going to be spending crazy money for above average players around 30.

Crashoutcassius

I personally think Alderwereld and Willian and Fred is a good window. Adds experience and quality. Obviously we could use players at wing back but this improve the spine of the team a lot - we already have two top notch flair players in Pog and Sanchez and adding experience and consistentcy around them will be a good thing.

Crashoutcassius

Ronaldo costs a lot more than that tho since you have to pay him 50m a year with a potentially long term contract

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Willian is just another guy we should sign earlier but he still could be a proper role model for young Tahith and at this point I just want Jose to get players he wants / needs.

United's Brazilian core is growing substantially, assuming this is all true and at some point I love this idea. Definitely better concept than Perisic who's more tied to the left flank and that ship sailed some time ago, just like Griezmann.

phyniks

Supports
Esteghlal Iran
70 m is too much for his age but remember we need some players with instant impact.
We really need to challenge for the title this year.
We have lots of young talents so there s no need for that.

devil in me

Surprised at the objections to Willian, I really am. I just can''t understand it. One of the major problems with our team over the last few years has been the total lack of balance, caused by not having a natural right winger. Willian is class and will solve that problem for a couple of years. Yes he's expensive, but Richarlison has just gone for 50m, its the world we are living in. He would finally provide some balance to us, which has basically been lacking since Valencia moved to RB. Or we could just have another season of playing a slow Mata out of position.

SirAF

Ageist
Surprised at the objections to Willian, I really am. I just can''t understand it. One of the major problems with our team over the last few years has been the total lack of balance, caused by not having a natural right winger. Willian is class and will solve that problem for a couple of years. Yes he's expensive, but Richarlison has just gone for 50m, its the world we are living in. He would finally provide some balance to us, which has basically been lacking since Valencia moved to RB. Or we could just have another season of playing a slow Mata out of position.
This.

Greck

70 m is too much for his age but remember we need some players with instant impact.
We really need to challenge for the title this year.
We have lots of young talents so there s no need for that.
Should have gone for Mahrez if that was the criteria. That one could haunt us for the foreseeable future. Instead we're fighting off having to pay 70mil for the wrong Leicester player and another 70mil for a 30yr old RW that will need a similar priced replacement in a few years. This club and its transfer business

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I'd take Richarlison at 50m over Willian at 70m any day.

Fer

So we may or may not have had a €75mill offer accepted for Willian, I really hope this isn't true, particularly when you read that Pulisic could be available for 70 this summer..
Agree. Just imagine that we sign William and Chelsea sign Pulisic to replace him who is 10 years younger.

beingshe7don

At this stage in the game with couple weeks to go, Willian would be fine I suppose. He could possibly offer an option at 3-5-2 given that we have 6 CBs at the club already, we are not looking to offload any of them and are still chasing Alderwiereld and Maguire. Willian could potentially do a good job as a RWB as well. But yeah, Willian also offers us another alternative in terms of set pieces.

I would rather pay 40m for Pulisic though but at this stage, Willian would be fine as well.

ravi2

WHo have we got performing better than him in the past 3-4 years?
This is a good point, Moyes and LVG were just absolute shit and it was the worst football I have ever seen a top tier team play in my lifetime.
Sometimes Jose's football is boring but he is getting results and the team is moving forward (slowly)

Might as well back Jose, because if he is sacked...then who? Its just more upheaval and restarting the rebuilding process. Until a DOF is bought, this wont change.
If he wants Willan, then Ed should get Willan...he is an actual RW and thats something our club hasnt had in years. The right side of our attack is nonexistent

I would have preferred Mahrez or Pulisic but what do i know

Judas

Open to offers
Should have gone for Mahrez if that was the criteria. That one could haunt us for the foreseeable future. Instead we're fighting off having to pay 70mil for the wrong Leicester player and another 70mil for a 30yr old RW that will need a similar priced replacement in a few years. This club and its transfer business
Mahrez won't be able to haunt anyone being sat on the bench.

ravi2

I personally think Alderwereld and Willian and Fred is a good window. Adds experience and quality. Obviously we could use players at wing back but this improve the spine of the team a lot - we already have two top notch flair players in Pog and Sanchez and adding experience and consistentcy around them will be a good thing.
I mostly agree, but we really should have one full back that can cross the ball, its criminal for a side like ours not to have a player like that.
We must be the only top team in Europe that doesnt have one full back that can deliver the ball into the box

AndyJ1985

If we ignore the transfer fee then it'd be a great signing that makes sense. He's far better than the shite we currently have on the RW and he provides balance and defensive duties on top of good attacking output.

Judas

Open to offers
We'll simply not be worse with him in the team, he will make us considerably better, if he blows hot and cold, it will at least be something down that side of the pitch.

PepsiCola

75 million for Willian
Over 65 million for Maguire

Can we really slander other club's transfer business anymore?

That's ludicrous money for players I really don't think will take us considerably closer to City.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Once Pep paid 50+ for Stones and Walker financial common sense was an extinct concept. So Willian costs 75, Maguire might cost 60, it’s just the way it is.
But both of those signings look cheap now so how was that the tipping point?

No single signing or handful of signings have contributed that disproportionately to what has and will continue to be a general inflation in the transfer market in line with increasing revenues and high demand/low supply.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
It's very short term to think about signing a 29 year old for big money, realistically you get 2 or 3 years and a minimal sell on fee after that. Way better off to spend the money on a younger player.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I don’t even understand this thread.

Bale is one of the best attackers in the world and would transform us

Willian - is he even significantly better than what we’ve got now in Mata / Lingard?

breakout67

Supports
Man City

Ah yes, Sign Ronaldo for £105m and have 6 players within a 10 foot space on the left. Brilliant idea.

Ronaldo signing died with the additions of Lukaku and Sanchez, he was never in the picture.

Fer

William would improve our RW. But, why signing him when we can get Pulisic for less money being 10ys younger.

Barca signed Malcom for less than 40m, even Mahrez was cheaper than William.

Status
Not open for further replies.