Ballon D’or 2019: who will win it? (Alleged leak: Messi 1, Van Dijk 2, Salah 3).

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
People seriously think that anyone other than Messi will win this Ballon d'Or? No other player had been even remotely close to him this season.

As for the future — Mbappe in the long run and Neymar/Hazard look like possible candidates, if PSG and Madrid manage to get back to their best soon. De Bruyne as an outside bet, he looked absolutely incredible last season and is still probably the most talented out of that ridiculously stacked City squad, even though he barely played this year. If they'll realise their full potential and win a CL or two, he'll surely be recognised.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Without a doubt Mbappe, if he remains healthy, will win several.

Kaglish10

He was most important player for Juventus in 15/16 season. I still find it funny everyone says Pirlo and Vidal made him look good yet in his best season none of them was there. He was given the number 10 shirt and became the main playmaker ending as top assister of the league.
Juve were clueless without Marchiso in the midfield, after Pirlo left. Pogba was more of an attacking midfielder.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Now that the golden ball has returned to it's previous format, it could be any of the top players, especially in a world cup year.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
By people who aren't all there, sure.
Juve were really crap in the first 10 games of the season (results). They were absolutely clueless in front of goal and languished in the bottom half of the table. Pogba played 90 minutes in all those 10 games.

Juve's season only turned around once Dybala became a regular starter.

Canagel

And this is why I say - the best Pogba is ever going to be is playing the way he played for France. Stop pretending that he is some sort of midfield magician & tell him to focus on the dirty work in a midfield 2. He isn't good enough as an attacker to be playing further up & the quicker he focuses on the basics of what most centre midfielders have - then the better and more useful he is going to be in any teams he plays.
No chance. He made name for himself in number 10 position behind two strikers/LM in CL like his 2015 season or first 2 months of Ole reign. Even in France it's not midfield 2 with Kante and Matuidi and even if he was good it wasn't like Juve seasons or first months in the Ole reign.

Last edited:

Hughie77

Who is the best face to fit Uefas profile? Who can they show off, is my bet. Haven't seen much of Modric after getting it. Messi, Ronaldo still everywhere,.

Hughie77

UEFA has nothing to do with the Ballon D'or.
They have to do with everything and Fifa and the rest who run football. Who do you think runs it daffy duck. Donald trump. Russian mafia. Who picks the UEFA team of the year who picks the Fifa world cup team. Who hands out the trophies??

It's a European footballer of the year. Called the fecking Balon dor. Voted by managers supposedly of European clubs??

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
They have to do with everything and Fifa and the rest who run football. Who do you think runs it daffy duck. Donald trump. Russian mafia. Who picks the UEFA team of the year who picks the Fifa world cup team. Who hands out the trophies??

It's a European footballer of the year. Called the fecking Balon dor. Voted by managers supposedly of European clubs??
What are you talking about? The Ballon D'Or is voted by prominent football journalist from all over the world. It has no longer been soley the European footballer of the year since the criteria changed in 2009 from what I can remember.

FIFA's The Best is the award voted for by national team managers, journalists, national team captains and fans.

Ballon D'Or has been done by France Football Magazine since its inception, except when it combined with FIFA to create the FIFA Ballon D'or which no longer exists...

Hughie77

What are you talking about? The Ballon D'Or is voted by prominent football journalist from all over the world. It has no longer been soley the European footballer of the year since the criteria changed in 2009 from what I can remember.

FIFA's The Best is the award voted for by national team managers, journalists, national team captains and fans.

Ballon D'Or has been done by France Football Magazine since its inception, except when it combined with FIFA to create the FIFA Ballon D'or which no longer exists...
Exactly what you can remember,

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Van Dijk winning it
Was 2/1 before the Final. Hype will only grow stronger in the summer. Provided he starts off the next campaign in a similar vein on form he's going to win it.

Messi still deserves it imo

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Said it before in the thread that if Liverpool win the UCL he will be guaranteed to win it. Still think so especially given his performance in the final, clean sheet and a vital last tackle against Son.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Messi is better, but Van Dyke has the hype. All season pundits from everywhere are standing in line to say how good he is. Not saying he isnt good, but he's not THAT good.

Ah well, I wont pretend to not be proud when a Dutch man wins it.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Said it before in the thread that if Liverpool win the UCL he will be guaranteed to win it. Still think so especially given his performance in the final, clean sheet and a vital last tackle against Son.

I hope that's the case.

Messi and Salah can still win the COPA AMERICA/AFRICA though... How many points that gives you?

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
Van Dijk: "I think Messi is the best player in the world. He should win the Ballon D'Or. So I'm not thinking of that. But if I win, I'll take it. Messi should win it though. He is the best in the world, whether he's in the final or not."

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
Imagine being that much of a Messi hater that you bandwagon a Liverpool defender on an United fanboard :lol:
VVD might very well win it, but he has not been the best player in the world.

Wasn't he partially blamed for the first two goals at Nou Camp?
Exactly, Ole is drunk at the wheel with these posts
This aged well.

...just wait for a bit more time for the results. Can’t wait to see your salty remarks when VVD wins it. Don’t say I didn’t tell you :lol:

the chameleon

Messi for me. Van Dyke has had great season but he’s being overrated by the pro bin dipper media.

AshleyYoung'sCruyffTurn

I think it's VVD. We've seen it with the Modric trophy that it's a narrative award, and currently VVD has the best narrative going for him.

SharpshooterTom

If Van Dijk wins the Nations league, ok I know its not worth much, but small margins count and it might make the difference if Messi fails to win Copa America.

Luke1995

I think Sadio Mane has been outstanding this season, on a pure technical point of view he would deserve it but he doesn't score enough goals.

Negan

Van Dijk deserves it. Let’s be honest.

Messi should be nowhere near it after that bottle job at Anfield. Coward performance.

PvsNP

Van Dijk deserves it. Let’s be honest.

Messi should be nowhere near it after that bottle job at Anfield. Coward performance.
I don't get it. He was the only one creating chances for his team. How is it his fault when the team concedes four goals? He's not a defender.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I don't get it. He was the only one creating chances for his team. How is it his fault when the team concedes four goals? He's not a defender.
Don't feed the trolls.

I mean, I assume he's a troll if he's saying Messi shouldn't get it after the Anfield bottle job when Liverpool bottled the chance to go 10 points clear but VVD should still win it anyway... :confused:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I think it's VVD. We've seen it with the Modric trophy that it's a narrative award, and currently VVD has the best narrative going for him.
Ballon d'Or is voted by NT captains and managers though, isn't it? WC exploits are significantly more powerful in terms of narrative than CL.

Can also see a lot of the "CL narrative" votes split across Mane, Salah, and VVD. Messi is still the guy most NT managers would love as the first on their teamsheet.

Winrar

I think the 3 names in it this year should be Messi, Mane, and Van Dijk.

Out of those 3, Messi will most likely win it. Latter 2 have a very strong case for them based on this season but don't have the same pedigree Messi does. Not trying to discredit Messi, though.