Ballon d'Or 2020 cancelled

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
France football decided it wasn't fair to award one this year.

Very weird decision considering all matches are being played regardless, with exception of the French league.

Sucks for Lewandowski.
It was his to win this year.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
For real? Wouldn't have been anyone from league 1 anyway, all the other leagues have seen a full season, CL and EL will be played out and only the European championship has been moved. Weird.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Why are we leaving such responsibilities in french hands, anyway?

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Hopefully for good.
If this would be the end of ballon dor, i agree.
But they will resume it soon enough, i think.

Lewandowski and ballon dor just isnt a match, really sucks.

Lyricist

What is this bullshit. Just because there's less hype, doesn't mean there's no one deserving of the award. Just goes to show what a shitshow this hype crap is and has been all along. Pretty much all they do is name the players that had the most clicks on youtube compilations that year, absolutely worthless.

It honestly doesn't even make sense. Most of the relevant leagues are being played till the end, the CL too is being played till the end.

Rolaholic

Lewandowski robbed

I don't understand the decision though when every major league besides Ligue 1, not like anyone was going to win from there, still finished their seasons...

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Give it to Giggsie till the end of the season

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Lewandowski was the clear frontrunner and the CL will be finished. Dumb decision.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Just shows that they are in it for the spectacle rather than rewarding the player who does best. No shocker of course.

trims

Supports
Arsenal
I think Fifa best is more important. Balon d’or was never taken as seriously before it merged with FIFA world player of the year. The fact that it’s decided exclusively by a select group of journalists resulted in some strange picks for winners like Owen and Nedved.

marktan

No one's really been robbed yet as whichever of the big players wins the CL is likeliest get Ballon D'or. But it's a strange decision to cancel it when the CL is still left to play, the only player that's really disadvantaged is Neymar as the french league was cancelled and so his stats would be lower.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think Fifa best is more important. Balon d’or was never taken as seriously before it merged with FIFA world player of the year. The fact that it’s decided exclusively by a select group of journalists resulted in some strange picks for winners like Owen and Nedved.
It was the other way round.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
A lot of players have bonuses in their contracts related to Ballon d'Or placement nowadays, don't they? It's not trivial for them.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Not true, but before the mid-90s only European players could win it, so a lot of those have massive asterisks next to them IMO.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
It's fecking ridiculous an individual award for a team sport is given such prestige in the first place.

Hopefully this shows people it's a glorified popularity contest anyway.