g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ballon d'Or 2020 cancelled

Cal?

CR7 fan
Sorry, yeah. But still think a Salah or VVD could've been in contention.
Last year was their chance with the CL winning season, more often than not the star player of the CL winning side win this.

Any talk of Lewandowski is clearly pre-mature given the CL latter stages are yet to be played.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Why? :confused:

He is so overrated.

Just watch him bottle it in the champions next round.
Overrated?

Let's look at his goalscoring stats in past couple of years:
15-16: 42 goals
16-17: 43 goals
17-18: 41 goals
18-19: 40 goals
19-20: 51 goals (including 11 goals in CL)

I would say he is underrrated.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Overrated?

Not too shabby, 217 goals in 5 seasons. Numbers aren't everything but I think there's a point where you just can't argue with them. Some legitimately good strikers score around that in their career. Les Ferdinand (215), Nicolas Anelka (210), Dwight Yorke (198), Michael Owen (222) etc. Alright, the ones I mentioned were playing in a different country but still.

SAFMUTD

Everyone keeps saying Lewandowski had it won, but what about Salah...? Won the previous CL, won the PL - surely would've been in with a shout.
Salah isnt even the best attacker in Liverpool, Mane should be mentioned first.

Regarding the cancelled Ballon d'Or I wonder if Messi or Cristiano were the ones winning it would it be cancelled? I doubt it.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Overrated?

For the highest level, he doesn't cut it. He is a bottler. Bayern would have won the champions league with a better striker for sure in the last 5 years, just like they did with the lesser player, but way more clinical, Mandzukic. (defeating Lewandoski in the final, ironically)

He bottled it season after season in the champions league KO stages.

For the league he is ok. Bayern creates so many chances he is bound to score shitload. Even Lukaku would have a similar record.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
For the highest level, he doesn't cut it. He is a bottler. Bayern would have won the champions league with a better striker for sure in the last 5 years, just like they did with the lesser player, but way more clinical, Mandzukic. (defeating Lewandoski in the final, ironically)

He bottled it season after season in the champions league KO stages.

For the league he is ok. Bayern creates so many chances he is bound to score shitload. Even Lukaku would have a similar record.

You may also argue Messi is bottler in CL recent years and in all international tournaments, does that make him overrated though?

Lewandowski scores 51 goals in 43 games this season, this includes 11 goals in 6 CL games. Just be fair, this is beyond amazing, and even comparable to Messi/Ronaldo peak years.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
You may also argue Messi is bottler in CL recent years and in all international tournaments, does that make him overrated though?

Lewandowski scores 51 goals in 43 games this season, this includes 11 goals in 6 CL games. Just be fair, this is beyond amazing, and even comparable to Messi/Ronaldo peak years.
Fair enough.

Definitely was in contention, but ultimately, it was coming down to who wins the UCL.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think Fifa best is more important. Balon d’or was never taken as seriously before it merged with FIFA world player of the year. The fact that it’s decided exclusively by a select group of journalists resulted in some strange picks for winners like Owen and Nedved.
No one gave a shit for FIFA award, while Ballon D’Or was always the highest honor in football. It is a bit like comparing the Nobel price (given from Swedish parliament) with some price given by UN. Sure, someone might think that the official UN price (or in this case FIFA award) is the more important one, but really it is not the case.

trims

Supports
Arsenal
No one gave a shit for FIFA award, while Ballon D’Or was always the highest honor in football. It is a bit like comparing the Nobel price (given from Swedish parliament) with some price given by UN. Sure, someone might think that the official UN price (or in this case FIFA award) is the more important one, but really it is not the case.
Really? I guess the history gives Balon d’or it’s prestige but in the early 2000s me and my mates took the Fifa awards as the standard. Also think it was the case for the media, for eg in 2004 Ronaldinho was given the label of best player in the world rather than Sheva.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Everyone keeps saying Lewandowski had it won, but what about Salah...? Won the previous CL, won the PL - surely would've been in with a shout.
Nobody had it won given the CL often decided it.

It's such an overrated award anyway

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think Fifa best is more important. Balon d’or was never taken as seriously before it merged with FIFA world player of the year. The fact that it’s decided exclusively by a select group of journalists resulted in some strange picks for winners like Owen and Nedved.
:lol: FIFA best

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
FIFA had to convince France Football to join the awards to have theirs taken seriously

Also yeah, weird decision given the CL should go on and finish. And let's not pretend that league form matters to the award

Ah well. Ultimately, who cares

Zen

Lets not go there.
No lets go there. I'm not a Ronaldo GOAT guy at all.... but your argument could be quite good if you are going to argue Ramos or Bale being more important to 4 CL Titles than he was... when you are talking actually collective season and not odd games.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
So, it seems neither Messi nor Ronaldo were even in the top three then? Makes sense to cancel their award if that's the case.

Cal?

CR7 fan
So, it seems neither Messi nor Ronaldo were even in the top three then? Makes sense to cancel their award if that's the case.
Ronaldo would certainly be in the top 3 at the moment, but the way Juve are playing, I don't think they can go much further in the CL