Ballon d'Or 2020 cancelled

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The main reasons seem reasonable:

- Too many rules changes during the season.
- They didn't want to put an asterisk on this edition.
- The 200 members of the jury are scattered around the world and will have other things to worry about during the pandemic.

I'm one of those people that really don't care about individual trophies in a team sport but I get why this year is too disturbed for that type of awards.

PS: There is also no PL champions this year.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
The main reasons seem reasonable:

- Too many rules changes during the season.
- They didn't want to put an asterisk on this edition.
- The 200 members of the jury are scattered around the world and will have other things to worry about during the pandemic.

I'm one of those people that really don't care about individual trophies in a team sport but I get why this year is too disturbed for that type of awards.

PS: There is also no PL champions this year.
Nonsense. 99% of the world is continuing life as if nothing happened. All matches are being played, and the rule changes are insignificant. An extra water break doesn't stop anyone from determining who the best football player is.

I agree that individual awards are nonsense compared to team awards, but after a decade of Messi's marketing team vs Ronalso's marketing team, I was actually finally getting interested again in the award.

I think France Football are shooting themselves in the foot here. Since the split with Fifa Best they're fighting over which will be the more reputable one, and they've just taken themselves down a notch.

Zen

Absolute whopper decision. Lewandowski didn't have it 'hands down' either.... all Messi had to do was beat him in the next round. Ronnie CL show + 30+ goals in Serie A. Well open still.

Benzema still in there too if they knock off City, though Madrid the least fancied of the lot for the CL.

Yeah, when you've actually got a decent contest, shite decision.

Could of been voted for online and still awarded without a ceremony.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Nonsense. 99% of the world is continuing life as if nothing happened. All matches are being played, and the rule changes are insignificant. An extra water break doesn't stop anyone from determining who the best football player is.

I agree that individual awards are nonsense compared to team awards, but after a decade of Messi's marketing team vs Ronalso's marketing team, I was actually finally getting interested again in the award.

I think France Football are shooting themselves in the foot here. Since the split with Fifa Best they're fighting over which will be the more reputable one, and they've just taken themselves down a notch.
There is no fight over which is the more reputable and never has. It's such a weird point.

Daonico

I don't care about these kind of awards... but it does feels pretty unfair as life keeps moving on...

TheLord

It will dent the award's reputation for sure. Just because the French League was cancelled doesn't mean the award had to be binned.

Lewandowski was the certain winner.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It’s turned into a mess in recent years. But this decision is self-indulgent naval-gazing of the highest order.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Absolute whopper decision. Lewandowski didn't have it 'hands down' either.... all Messi had to do was beat him in the next round. Ronnie CL show + 30+ goals in Serie A. Well open still.

Benzema still in there too if they knock off City, though Madrid the least fancied of the lot for the CL.

Yeah, when you've actually got a decent contest, shite decision.

Could of been voted for online and still awarded without a ceremony.
Messi has had another quality season but it's no shame to be beaten by Lewa this year.

Messi in La Liga/Copa Del Rey/CL = 39 (2) appearances with 29 G and 24 A. 5 of those goals were penalties.
Lewandowski in DFB Pokal/Bundesliga/CL = 41 (1) appearances with 52 G and 6 A. (He's top scorer in all of those contests too btw, 5 ahead of the next competitor in the CL - Haaland who is 1 behind isn't in the tournament anymore). 6 of those goals were penalties.
Ronaldo in Coppa Italia/CL/Serie A = 40 appearances with 32 G and 5 A. 12 of those goals were penalties.

Even if Bayern don't get past the QF stages (I think everyone assumes they'll beat Chelsea) he had a cracking shot at winning this award because individually which is what this award is about, he has had the best season out of all of them.

Paula

Supports
Bayern
Are you for real? :D
Well Benzema was not even close to Lewandowski this year.
There might be others but i dont think Benzema is there.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Lewandowski was never going to win it and I'm sure everyone knows that deep down

Zen

Messi has had another quality season but it's no shame to be beaten by Lewa this year.

Messi in La Liga/Copa Del Rey/CL = 39 (2) appearances with 29 G and 24 A. 5 of those goals were penalties.
Lewandowski in DFB Pokal/Bundesliga/CL = 41 (1) appearances with 52 G and 6 A. (He's top scorer in all of those contests too btw, 5 ahead of the next competitor in the CL - Haaland who is 1 behind isn't in the tournament anymore). 6 of those goals were penalties.
Ronaldo in Coppa Italia/CL/Serie A = 40 appearances with 32 G and 5 A. 12 of those goals were penalties.

Even if Bayern don't get past the QF stages (I think everyone assumes they'll beat Chelsea) he had a cracking shot at winning this award because individually which is what this award is about, he has had the best season out of all of them.
But it's not actually individual at all - and you reasonably know that, I mean, yes last season would suggest otherwise. But that's a massive rarity.

Lewa is banging them in a league where it is merely Bayern more or less, and to a point where they are ultra perfectly built for him to do so. If the CL didn't restart, he is the frontrunner. But he still probably needs to win the CL or for all of the others to also not win it.

Barca aren't built to be a great success right now, yet the main man still has 25g 21A in the league, it's bonkers, but it's going to lead to nothing most likely, and if he does lead them to a CL win... he easily usurps Lewa due to the level of the team around him.

Ronaldo is about to hit 1GPG in Serie A hitting form, again another well built team, not to the levels of Bayern.. but him again doing his knockout heroics and winning the CL make him the frontrunner.

Even at this stage in their careers, I'm also certain both Messi and Ronaldo would outdo Lewa in that league with that team. But that's irrelevant. Simply put, the Bundesliga and it's cups alone aren't truly prestigious enough. Bayern have to bring Lewa the CL to make Lewa a frontrunner... I know he's been great in it so far, but if Bayern then go out to Barca with him no showing to Messi showing up... that alone changes the story.

It's an absolute shame to cancel it for no reason when basically everyone but like Mbappe and Neymar are doing complete seasons anyway... and those two have won their league empathically anyway.

Zen

Are you for real? :D
Well Benzema was not even close to Lewandowski this year.
There might be others but i dont think Benzema is there.
Benzema's goals are worth 16pts in a league they won by 5pts
Lewa's 14pts in a league won by 13pts.

Again, it's very flawed but it tells a story. Benzema also a bigger influence in the build up than Lewa. Both were ultra key to two titles, but Madrid weren't mega favourites, Bayern would probably have still walked it with Lewandowski injured.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Did the Ballon D'Or suddenly become a Golden Boot or why is everybody so sure that Lewandowski should've won it?

In all honesty, I wouldn't even have him as a top 5 player in the world in general. Brillant striker but that's not enough for me.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

As many joy as Messi and Cristiano have brought us, they've really ruined the Ballon D'Or for good (if there was anything left to ruin after giving it to Cannavaro). Now it seems it's just about titles won and goal records. Would probably impossible to give it to a player like Ronaldinho, Zidane or Figo nowadays.

There's no way Lewandowski was the best player this season. I wouldn't even say that he was the best Bundesliga player, that honor belongs to Sancho.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Did the Ballon D'Or suddenly become a Golden Boot or why is everybody so sure that Lewandowski should've won it?

In all honesty, I wouldn't even have him as a top 5 player in the world in general. Brillant striker but that's not enough for me.
Over 50 goals this season, 11 in the UCL group stage. How is he not in the top 5 this season?

Although th Balon D Or is for the whole year and there is still a lot left to determine the winner, but Lewa is easily top 5 in the world right now.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Over 50 goals this season, 11 in the UCL group stage. How is he not in the top 5 this season?

Although th Balon D Or is for the whole year and there is still a lot left to determine the winner, but Lewa is easily top 5 in the world right now.
Because he wasn't the best. If you were to build an eleven and could choose every player possible, would you really pick Lewandowski?

He gets the ball into the back of the net, true, but the goal output of a striker is always a product of a. his class and b. the amount of chances his team creates. If you cut together a compilation of every action Lewandowski had on the ball and then compare it with a similar compilation of people like de Bruyne, Messi, Neymar, Mbappe, Sancho etc. then there's no way you'd say Lewandowski is the better player.

el3mel

I don't really find any reason for this. The leagues are about to end and the European competitions will follow too. Literally no reason to cancel it. There's enough football to choose the best player in the year.

VanKenny

Because he wasn't the best. If you were to build an eleven and could choose every player possible, would you really pick Lewandowski?

He gets the ball into the back of the net, true, but the goal output of a striker is always a product of a. his class and b. the amount of chances his team creates. If you cut together a compilation of every action Lewandowski had on the ball and then compare it with a similar compilation of people like de Bruyne, Messi, Neymar, Mbappe, Sancho etc. then there's no way you'd say Lewandowski is the better player.
But then CR7 shouldnt have gotten half his balon d' ors because he was never actually the best football player and he won half all of them thanks to Ramos/Bale etc . All Lewandowski needed this season was to win the CL or at least reach semis with a couple of good/great performances and he would have been with a shoe in.

Benzema and his league winning form
Messi and his 7th Pichichi plus assist record in la liga
CR7 and his goal scoring record and winning serie A
Lewandowski and his absolutely top form

All of them were contenders. Seems ridiculous to cancel it this year because for the first time it was actually interesting.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord

Just watched a compilation of his from this season. Definitely would say he was the best.

I watch plenty of Barca at home, due to a flatmate of mine being a big Barca fan. Also watch plenty of German football because it's offered as a package deal together with the Dutch league. Lewandowski really has been the best this year.

Zen

But then CR7 shouldnt have gotten half his balon d' ors because he was never actually the best football player and he won half all of them thanks to Ramos/Bale etc .
Except theres no argument for that at all.

LoneStar

It’s just a joke of an award, like most of these things anyway. I wish they would cancel all of this completely.

Yes, a player can significantly lift a team up, but end of the day it’s a team game, and no single Ronaldo or Messi can lift a weak team to win major honours. (Then again the world 11 or whatever it is they do is also a joke, more of a popularity contest than anything).

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Honestly Lewa played out of his skin this season and there really going to rob him like that. Disappointing.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Guess not having a Euro 2020 weighed heavily in this decision.
That's a strange point of view, there's no Euro or WC every other year and they happily hand them out every year before. :confused:

Cal?

CR7 fan
These awards often favor the big international comps in voting process. Or have in past years.
I'm well aware of that, but the point is that they're more than happy handing them out without major international comps, so why not this year.