Ballon d'Or 2021 | Lewandowski robbed again

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Messi would be a ridiculous win. Literally rewarding him for being a colossal loser with his national team.
Bad take.

Messi was top scorer of La Liga, and best player of Copa America.

Cristiano in 2016 wasn't best player of the Euro, it was Griezmann...and he still won Balloon D'or that year.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Bad take.

Messi was top scorer of La Liga, and best player of Copa America.

Cristiano in 2016 wasn't best player of the Euro, it was Griezmann...and he still won Balloon D'or that year.
He also won the CL that year tbf

Nonameboy

If they give it to Messi they lose the little bit of credibility they have left.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Does colossal loser mean winner in Spanish, or what am I missing here?
Messi winning the Copa America is being blown out of proportion simply because 1) he's Messi, and 2) he had inexplicably failed to win it until now. Nobody was arguing that Luis Suarez or Alexis Sanchez needed to be anywhere near contention for a Balon D'Or because they were the best players during other Copas.

Messi was top scorer of La Liga
The award is, as far as I'm aware, for the calendar year, not the season.

Messi joined PSG this summer, where he's scored zero league goals.

Last edited:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Messi winning the Copa America is being blown out of proportion simply because 1) he's Messi, and 2) he had inexplicably failed to win it until now. Nobody was arguing that Luis Suarez or Alexis Sanchez needed to be anywhere near contention for a Balon D'Or because they were the best players during other Copas.
They also didn’t go up against a team as good as the Brazil squad Messi faced and they didn’t break records during those respective Copas

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
The famously unstoppable Brazil squad of 2021. Garrincha'd be shaking in his boots. Zico wouldn't make the bench.

Zen

The Copa is being blown out of proportion...... the colossal dropoff of Barca without him is what should be the key factor for Messi. They've lost him and Griezmann but gained Depay, Aguero and Garcia.... yet gone from realistic title contenders, to potentially(maybe likely?) dropping out of the CL.

Either way, Lewandowski winning it seems right, it's an unofficial(although not) 2 year award this year and he's been utterly unreal himself, across both years. It won't hurt Messi not getting it.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I hope Messi wins it just because of the Ronaldo's fanboys meltdown.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
It's either Messi or Lewandowski that's going to win and the way I see it is that Messi had a better spring playing for a much worse team (there's comparisons in one of the Messi threads, or maybe it was the Messi vs Ronaldo) and then we had Copa vs Euro's where Messi obviously comes out way ahead. Lewa has had a better start to the 21/22 season but I don't think that outweighs the first 6 months of the year.

He should get the 2020 award though and it's an absolute farce that he didn't.

The award is, as far as I'm aware, for the calendar year, not the season.

Messi joined PSG this summer, where he's scored zero league goals.
His Copa got blown up for a reason you're deliberately ignoring because you're so biased, it's also funny how you argue that the award is for the calendar year and then in your next sentence you highlight four league games.

berbasloth4

as a united man its feels wrong to say. if its not salah its wrong. its supposed to be over the calender year and no one has been close to him

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
as a united man its feels wrong to say. if its not salah its wrong. its supposed to be over the calender year and no one has been close to him
Over the calendar year ? I don't think you realize that it includes the months in which Salah wasn't close to the player he's been these past few weeks.

berbasloth4

Over the calendar year ? I don't think you realize that it includes the months in which Salah wasn't close to the player he's been these past few weeks.
even when liverpool werent playing well or even winning at start on the year. he was still scoring and from april until now he been unplayable. however it is a cert he wont score this weekend cause i triple captained him so he wont get a touch

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Messi winning thanks to a Copa America that should have never been played after Lewandowski was robbed of it because FF decided to withdraw the award due to COVID would be the height of injustice

I hope the journalists see this too and do the right thing

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Its going to be between Messi and Lewandsoki, with Benzema, Salah and Jorginho fighting for top 3 spot

Messi - Best player in La Liga, best player in Copa which he won, but poor early season form with PSG. Question being, is Copa being as highly regarded as Euro and CL? Maybe not.. but he still deserves winning this one.

Lewandoski - Simply the best and most consistent goalscorer in Europe throughout 2021, 15 goals already this season, and 46 for Bayern last season which won the league and also broke Muller record, but didn't win any major big trophy. If he wins it could be also because they give him extra votes for missing out last year, which he fully deserves.

Benzema - arguable the best player this season with 11 goals 8 assists in 13 games, won the Nations league and scored 4 goals in Euro for France, overall also scored 29 goals last season for Real, among the elites forward in Europe

Salah - probably best player in the world currently, 15 goals 5 assists in 12 games, but didn't win any trophy. But if we are to choose the best in the world currently, it's him.

Jorginho - most successful player this year, won the biggest trophies as key player - CL and Euro. But wasn't the best individual. But if Modric won it in 2018, why not give it to Jorginho this year, who has already won UEFA men's player of the year. Although individually speaking, he doesn't deserve it.

Last edited:

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
His Copa got blown up for a reason you're deliberately ignoring because you're so biased, it's also funny how you argue that the award is for the calendar year and then in your next sentence you highlight four league games.
His Copa was blown up because he's Messi. That's it.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Messi winning thanks to a Copa America that should have never been played after Lewandowski was robbed of it because FF decided to withdraw the award due to COVID would be the height of injustice

I hope the journalists see this too and do the right thing
Voting ended a while ago, so they can't change their minds now, Messi has won it.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
The famously unstoppable Brazil squad of 2021. Garrincha'd be shaking in his boots. Zico wouldn't make the bench.
Can apply the same exercise with France 2016 that lost the Final to Portugal at home

I'm sure Zidane, Platini,Giresse,Lizarazu,Blanc,Henry,,etc are shaking in their boots cause they wouldn't even be on the bench in that 2016 super french team that Ronaldo's Portugal beat to win the Euro.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Now, i'm not a betting man, so the odds-market isn't something i know much about, but tell me, if the voting ended weeks ago, how can the odds keep changing when everything is decided? People aren't allowed to suddenly change their vote, nor is the deadline extended.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Some people will probably regret betting after the 1st leak...

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
We all know the Ballon Dor was decided the moment Argentina won Copa America, rest of the year was irrelevant after that point.

SER19

Messi really doesn't deserve it this year. I like the guy, worthy winner in all other years but he's basically played half a year of football

Jericho

Not saying he should win it but does anyone feel that Ronaldo is in contention for this , or is this award something that’s only in his past now?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
As for Messi this thread shows that his year is underrated even if Lewa would have been a worthy winner:

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Not saying he should win it but does anyone feel that Ronaldo is in contention for this , or is this award something that’s only in his past now?
No way, he was playing in Serie A, which is far from being best league in the world, he could score 40 for Juventus, still i don't think it will matter much for being top contender for Ballon D'or...same reason Messi will be judged for his CL run at PSG, not for what he does in Ligue 1.
I don't think anyone would say that Ciro Immobile deserves Balloon D'or for being top scorer of current Serie A.

Lewandowski was favorite to win it last year for winning CL with Bayern Munich, not Bundesliga.

Cristiano would need to win PL or CL with United to win Balloon D'or, or WC with Portugal.

Except for PL, what players performance in other leagues will become more and more irrelevant when talking about Balloon D'or contenders, it all will be down to winning knock out competitions.

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
This year, he is not in contention to win it.

I think the days of him winning a ballon d’or based on stats and performances throughout the year like he did in 2013 are in his past (same for Messi as well) but it’s definitely possible that he could win one off the back of winning a major club or international trophy and scoring some key goals in that triumph.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Messi really doesn't deserve it this year. I like the guy, worthy winner in all other years but he's basically played half a year of football
It's really more about the 2020-2021 season than the 2021-2022 season otherwise they wouldn't close voting in october and have the award in November.