Ballon d'Or 2021: more interesting than usual?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
People who actually watch football would agree that Messi is much worse that his stats suggest. Barca getting spanked by any decent team is down to them having to defend with 9 players for 90 minutes.
Well Messi isn't in his prime anymore. But also their defense is rubbish. If Messi had been injured for most of the season, I'd be surprised if they managed to finish any higher than midtable. Not to mention how little Griezmann and Dembele are able to step up when it matters. Even when they knocked out us out in 2019 they felt average for Barcelona and now since then they become worse and worse.

Last edited:

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Of course Messi walking around doesnt help, but they also have some clown defenders.

I dont think Suarez or Benzema are hard-working off the ball either, but AM and RM still defend significantly better as units.

OK_computer

Supports
Real Madrid
So it's Messi's fault they concede as often as they do? What rubbish, more MOTM awards than anyone else in 2021.
Not entirely his fault, but he is a big problem. It is quite easy for teams to break Barca's pressing because they basically start the game with -1 player in defence. His attacking game is still very good (elite), but I seriously can't remember the last time I was nervous watching El Clasico with him on the pitch. His off the ball movement is terrible, and it's quite easy for any solid midfield to close him down. For me, he is the best player of this generation, but he is far past his peak.

I think Barca is making a big mistake by extending his contract and paying him hundreds of millions dollars instead of investing in new reinforcements.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Not entirely his fault, but he is a big problem. It is quite easy for teams to break Barca's pressing because they basically start the game with -1 player in defence. His attacking game is still very good (elite), but I seriously can't remember the last time I was nervous watching El Clasico with him on the pitch. His off the ball movement is terrible, and it's quite easy for any solid midfield to close him down. For me, he is the best player of this generation, but he is far past his peak.

I think Barca is making a big mistake by extending his contract and paying him hundreds of millions dollars instead of investing in new reinforcements.
His new contract will only pay him 12 million a year. Without him Barca finish outside a CL spot. Barca have all kinds of issues defensively and starts much more with the midfield than it does with Messi. Messi’s contract was never the problem, it’s the absurd amount of money given to umtiti, Roberto, Griezman and Coutinho.

Messi helped Barca to the best goal differential in the league. He’s not good defensively but neither was Suarez and he did just fine at Atletico because he has ten work horses behind him. None of the goals conceded in the clasico’s had anything to do with Messi. Marcelo is just as bad of a defender at this stage of his career (Madrid dropped points nearly every time he started) and zidane still played him constantly.

VanKenny

Wrong in everything. For starters, if Messi leaves barca, they lose hundreds of millions on sponsorships and other deals. Money-wise, itd be a terrible decision.

Secondly, he has the most MOTMs and highest average rating across all leagues for a reason. Not to mention once again the Pichichi and the most assists. Having Messi up front forces teams to focus extra hard on him which leaves space for his very mediocre teammates.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid

As a fellow RM-fan, while i agree on some of your points, i'll throw a party the day he actually leaves Barcelona(which may as well be never at this rate).

Sick and tired of him just winning games for Barca on his own, even if he doesnt show up that often against RM anymore.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
The media is obviously talking up Kante for this
There is no glamour in kante getting the ballon d'or. He is deserved or not is another debate but nobody in media talking him up except in your imaginary world.

I don't bother he will get it or not infact kante himself didn't care about it but you people talk like he don't deserve the award is laughable.

Sparky Rhiwabon

There is no glamour in kante getting the ballon d'or. He is deserved or not is another debate but nobody in media talking him up except in your imaginary world.

I don't bother he will get it or not infact kante himself didn't care about it but you people talk like he don't deserve the award is laughable.
I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it - you must have noticed, though, that its become "fashionable" for commentators, pundits, etc to praise him at every opportunity

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it - you must have noticed, though, that its become "fashionable" for commentators, pundits, etc to praise him at every opportunity
Media praised mbappe Pogba then kante in that order whenever they wax lyrical about france. Or you not comfortable with kante getting recognition for his work. He is infact get three motm in two semi finals and final in cl. Not messi or Ronaldo or Modric didn't achieve in their balloon d'or winning campaigns.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord

He is being talked up a lot. Really a lot which all started based on two good CL appearances. Chelsea fans have become almost unbearable ever since the Kante hype started.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
As a fellow RM-fan, while i agree on some of your points, i'll throw a party the day he actually leaves Barcelona(which may as well be never at this rate).

Sick and tired of him just winning games for Barca on his own, even if he doesnt show up that often against RM anymore.
I for one agree, they would much better off without messi

PS: PM me about that party

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
It’s between Messi, Lewandowski, Kante, and Mbappe now.

Pocho

People who actually watch football would agree that Messi is much worse that his stats suggest. Barca getting spanked by any decent team is down to them having to defend with 9 players for 90 minutes.
It seems that you don't actually watch football, he is much more than his stats.

MUFC OK

Messi will win it despite not winning anything at club level. Only player that that could even be a possibility for.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Messi will win it despite not winning anything at club level. Only player that that could even be a possibility for.
They won the CDR. It shouldn't matter though when it comes to deciding who the best player is in a team sport.

Last edited:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I think even if Argentina wins Copa del Rey it may still go to lewa. Especially if he gets off to a hot start in the new season

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
First of all, Messi won the Copa del Rey.

Secondly, there is only one player in recent history who has won the ballon d’or without winning a club trophy...and it’s CR7

Threesus

First of all, Messi won the Copa del Rey.

Secondly, there is only one player in recent history who has won the ballon d’or without winning a club trophy...and it’s CR7
I still can’t believe Ribery or robben didn’t win it in 2013. Either one of them absolutely deserved it. They even extended the voting for the award if I remember correctly.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I still can’t believe Ribery or robben didn’t win it in 2013. Either one of them absolutely deserved it. They even extended the voting for the award if I remember correctly.
In fairness people complain a lot about Messi’s 2010 ballon d’or it seems

Rojow

I don't see how Mbappé could be in the competition for Ballon D'or.

They did. It was so strange. And Messi was injured for 2 months that year also.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Sure, in terms of team trophies won Ribery should have won it. But then individually speaking its 11 goals 16 assists vs 55 goals 12 assists, playing in exact same role/position, he was almost 5 times less productive than Ronaldo, while at that time Ronaldo was still a performance beast (8.15 avg rating, 15 motm), its really hard to give it to Ribery. If he has 30+ goals and 20+ assist or something, to make the gap looks more respectful, he could have won it.

Last edited:

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Sure, in terms of team trophies won Ribery should have won it. But then individually speaking its 11 goals 16 assists vs 55 goals 12 assists, playing in exact same role/position, he was almost 5 times less productive than Ronaldo, while at that time Ronaldo was still a performance beast (8.15 avg rating, 15 motm), its really hard to give it to Ribery. If he has 30+ goals and 20+ assist or something, to make the gap looks more respectful, he could have won it.
Aside from goals I think Ribery smashed Ronaldo in every other statistic. Dribbles, chances created, passes, crosses, tackles, pretty much everything. It's why bringing up goals while ignoring other stats is such a bad way of looking at it. Clearly Ronaldo was playing as a striker and Ribery as a midfielder so it makes no sense comparing goals alone.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Aside from goals I think Ribery smashed Ronaldo in every other statistic. Dribbles, chances created, passes, crosses, tackles, pretty much everything. It's why bringing up goals while ignoring other stats is such a bad way of looking at it. Clearly Ronaldo was playing as a striker and Ribery as a midfielder so it makes no sense comparing goals alone.
No really, back in 2013 Ronaldo was an all action LWF in 433 (or 4231) formation, Ribery was a LWF in 433 (or 4231) formation too. Basically they were playing at the exact same role/position for their team.

That's Bayern starting line up in 2013:

Neur
Lahm Boateng Dante Alaba
Martinez Schweinsteiger
Robben Muller Ribery
Mandzukic
And that's Real Madrid starting line up in 2013:

Casillas
Essien Ramos Varane Coentraio
Khedira Alonso
Di Maria Oil Ronaldo
Benzema
You may argue they didn't share exact same style/approach despite playing in same position, and you may suggest Ribery was better dribbler and creator too, in truth that applies to BL only, while its clear the quality of BL are well below LL at that time. But anyway, lets start off with comparison of their overall impact and performances back in season 2013.

In terms of overall impact, Ribery was only directly involved in 27 goals throughout the season. Ronaldo was directly involved in 67 goals, the gap was quite huge, something which can't be ignored. In fact it took the very best of Ribery for 3 or 4 seasons added up together to match the stats of Ronaldo in 1 season, which is quite ridiculous. Ronaldo is simply just many miles ahead.

In terms of their average rating, Ronaldo has 8.15 in LL and 7.93 in CL, Ribery has 8.42 in BL and 7.22 in CL, I would rate Ronaldo higher as he clearly performs far better in same stage (CL), whereas in terms of their league games performance, as mentioned LL (top 1 league) and BL (top 4 league) isn't near the same quality to begin with.

In terms of motm, Ronaldo has 15, Ribery has 11. Ronaldo wins again.

So Ronaldo is winning in stats and performance, how about Ribery main strength, such as dribbling and creating chances? Lets compare their dibbling stats and key pass stats in CL then:

Dribbling: Ribery 2.3 vs Ronaldo 2.1
Key pass: Ribery 1.6 vs Ronaldo 1.9

Ok, they are actually performing in about the same level in terms of dibbling and creating chances back in CL 2013. Hope thats not a big shock for you coming into realization.

So in conclusion, position-wise they are playing in the exact same position, stat-wise Ronaldo is far far far better, performance wise Ronaldo was still clearly better (in CL). In terms of dribbling and creating chances, they are about same level in CL too. The only reason Ribery was one of main contender for Ballon D'or, is 100% because of Bayern winning the treble. But like when we won the treble in 1999, we have no one actually winning Ballon D'or too, but only Beckham finished as runners up. I mean, someone from treble winning team should be there among contenders, it could be Ribery, or Robben, or Muller, or Schweinstiger, and it just happened to be Ribery. For us in 1999, it could be Beckham, Scholes, Keane, Giggs or Yorke, but it just happened to be Beckham. Truth is, Its more of a collective effort really. And I'd say the same applies to Bayern treble winning team too, its more of a collective effort rather than individual brilliance.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I wouldn't like to see it going to Messi over Lewandowski. I'd also take Kante over Messi.

diarm

If France win the Euros they're going to have to seriously consider Kante for the award.

The guy is such an important player to whichever side he's in, be it Leicester, Chelsea or France. It's great having amazing attacking players, but there's such an advantage when you can put more of them on the field together because you've one lad doing the work of a two man midfield in behind.

Am I right in thinking if they win this, he's only the League Cup away from a total clean sweep of career trophies?

TheLord

I am convinced that there are only three contenders now (assuming all three players remain injury-free in the respective tournaments)
  1. Kante : if France win the Euros
  2. Messi: if Argentina win the Copa, and if France don’t win the Euros
  3. De Bruyne: if Belgium win the Euros, and if Argentina don’t win the Copa

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I am convinced that there are only three contenders now (assuming all three players remain injury-free in the respective tournaments)
de Bruyne is injured, he won’t win ballon d’or

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No really, back in 2013 Ronaldo was an all action LWF in 433 (or 4231) formation, Ribery was a LWF in 433 (or 4231) formation too. Basically they were playing at the exact same role/position for their team.
Pet peeve of mine, but this is wrong. They played in the same starting position on paper, but their roles were completely different. Cristiano was largely a goalscorer/box player, more of a combination of Muller and Robben to stay with that bayern side. Ribery was a playmaker, more along the lines of Ozil

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'd give it to Lewandowski. Travesty that they decided not to give one last year when he deserved it, nobody has stood out this year. Best individual seasons would go to Lewandowski, Messi or Mbappe probably. Players to get in based on achievement would be Kante for the CL and then depends on who wins the euros or Copa (De Bruyne if Belgium, Kante or Mbappe if France, Messi if Argentina finally wins). Definitely feel like it'll go to a player who only had a few big game performances and was pretty meh for the rest of the year though.

VanKenny

I think Messi will win it, even if Argentina dont win the Copa. Kante and Mbappe are simply not at his level right now, especially not Kante. If Argentina do win the Copa, i think its pretty much case closed.

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
Seems like it’s just between Messi and Lewandowski now.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Lewandowski heavy favorite to win now.

Lets see what Messi does in Copa and the remaining of the year but I think it'll be Lewandowski's this year. I hope so for sure, he deserves one.

Tacitus56AD

Supports
Bayern Munich
That french "magazin" is going to delay it for one more year after tonights embarrassment.
Farce of a trophie anyway.

MUFC OK

I think even if Argentina wins Copa del Rey it may still go to lewa. Especially if he gets off to a hot start in the new season
Well he deserved to win it last season so I’d be happy with that.

messi will win it though despite a below average season by his standards (still a great season objectively though).

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Well he deserved to win it last season so I’d be happy with that.

messi will win it though despite a below average season by his standards (still a great season objectively though).
I doubt Messi will take it if Argentina lose to Brazil in Copa America to be honest

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
If Messi wins Copa America he takes it, if not, maybe Lewa.

Siezard

Doubt it will be De Bruyne because he didn't even win the premier league's player of the season and stuff.

Messi is also unlikely unless he scored more goals for Argentina and actually win the Copa America.

Still, it is through voting and I believe the current momentum is still in Lewandowski's favour.