Ballon d'Or 2023 | Messi wins for 8th time

mu4c_20le

But won't someone think about the aesthetics.
He deserves the best player of the WC.

If Arsenal won the treble and Saka broke all sorts of scoring records, would you still be banging on about romanticism in the World Cup.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

If Arsenal won the treble and Saka broke all sorts of scoring records, would you still be banging on about romanticism in the World Cup.
What we’ve concluded here is that Haaland means to you what Saka does to an Arsenal fan.

Btw if Saka did that he’d probably be the best player in the world (or thereabouts) given his general play is of a very high standard.

SirMonteyne

Although Mbappe was the best player in the World Cup, it ultimately didn't matter, Argentina won the cup. The World Cup is the pinnacle of this sport, and even if Messi has his popularity, it holds greater importance. I would have been surprised if Messi hadn't won the Ballon d'Or this year, but if Argentina couldn't win in the final, I would have been equally surprised to see Messi in the top 10 of the Ballon d'Or rankings. This is how crucial the World Cup is in determining a player's status in the sport. That last save by Martinez was so important that everything could have turned out differently based on one single moment.

mu4c_20le

What we’ve concluded here is that Haaland means to you what Saka does to an Arsenal fan.

Btw if Saka did that he’d probably be the best player in the world (or thereabouts) given his general play is of a very high standard.
You've identified haaland bias, saka bias, but not Messi bias. Why is that?

Swordsman

Although Mbappe was the best player in the World Cup, it ultimately didn't matter, Argentina won the cup. The World Cup is the pinnacle of this sport, and even if Messi has his popularity, it holds greater importance. I would have been surprised if Messi hadn't won the Ballon d'Or this year, but if Argentina couldn't win in the final, I would have been equally surprised to see Messi in the top 10 of the Ballon d'Or rankings. This is how crucial the World Cup is in determining a player's status in the sport. That last save by Martinez was so important that everything could have turned out differently based on one single moment.
then 1986 Diego Maradona got robbed hard for arguably the best world cup performance in a world cup.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You've identified haaland bias, saka bias, but not Messi bias. Why is that?
No idea what your talking about. You’re pining for Haaland and drawing comparisons to an Arsenal fan in relation to Saka so the point relates to those two.

I’m just messing with you. It’s nice to see City’s player lose out. Hopefully Mbappe pips him to it next year too for shits and giggles (unless he’s at Liverpool by then).

Joel Miller

What are you basing that on? He had pretty mediocre games in the quarter finals and semi finals. Messi excelled in more or less every game.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal

Yep. Because it's an individual award in a team sport. By definition a flawed concept, so I've tended to never take it seriously - in fact my first po-faced thinkpiece/rant was literally on the idiocy of it back in the 00's sometime.

Messi, however, brings too much joy to me so fair play to him for winning 8 silly awards.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

No idea what your talking about. You’re pining for Haaland and drawing comparisons to an Arsenal fan in relation to Saka so the point relates to those two.

I’m just messing with you. It’s nice to see City’s player lose out. Hopefully Mbappe pips him to it next year too for shits and giggles (unless he’s at Liverpool by then).
I honestly think he may never have another season like that

heraklion

"Mbappe better than Messi in the WC", are you sure you watched the WC? Because, Griezmann was "comfortably" the best player for France until the final. And, even Griezmann was not comparable to Messi.

That last save was no different from John Terry slipping and missing the final penalty with Chelsea against United in the CL final or Sergio Ramos equalizing in the last minute against Atletico in the CL final.. Equally uncommon is the type of brainfarts from Otamendi and handball from Montiel in the WC final, so things balance out.. It should be an easy win for Argentina during the normal time.

Messi in WC 2022
MVP
most g&a
2nd top goalscorer
most MOTM
highest average rating
most big chances created
most dribbles completed

Last edited:

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
2014. Ronaldo had a crap WC, but stellar season, yet lost the La Liga to an excellent Atletico. Godin was the outstanding footballer of the year. Guess who won?

dan1509

"Mbappe better than Messi in the WC", are you sure you watched the WC? Because, Griezmann was "comfortably" the best player for France until the final. And, even Griezmann was not comparable to Messi.

That last save was no different from John Terry slipping and missing the final penalty with Chelsea against United in the CL final or Sergio Ramos equalizing in the last minute against Atletico in the CL final.. Equally uncommon is the type of brainfarts from Otamendi and handball from Montiel in the WC final, so things balance out.. It should be an easy win for Argentina during the normal time.

Messi in WC 2022
MVP
most g&a
2nd top goalscorer
most MOTM
highest average rating
most big chances created
most dribbles completed
. Shitting on Otamendi who was fantastic throughout the world cup. You would think Messi won the world cup with macedonia with how they talk. There was no "carrying" whatsoever as everal players performed excellently in that Argentine team (Enzo, Macallister, Alvarez, Di Maria, Dibu, Otamendi). Most g&a is also an insane thing to say given the level of opposition Haaland does it against compared to the likes of Clermont foot.

As others have stated, this award has always been bias against premier league teams. Theres no way you should not be winning the award with 36 premier league goals (a record) and 12 CL goals in a year your team wins the treble. The most common argument I see against him winning is that he supposedly "ghosted" the cl semi finals and finals, which is odd given that Messi "ghosted" the round of 16 and got eliminated. I have no doubts whatsoever that if Haaland played for madrid and had the exact same stats and trophies he would win it for sure.

To put things into perspective on how ridiculous this ballon d'or is.....if Mbappes teammates score their penalties and Messi's miss theirs, Mbappe is suddenly the ballon dor winner. How does that make any sense whatsoever for an award thats meant to be given to the worlds best footballer of that year? The argentine keeper winning best keeper just further solidifies how ridiculous it is to decide player of the year based on a 7 game tournament.

Rojow

Golden shoe.

I don’t understand so many people really thinking Haaland was or is the best player in the world.

heraklion

. Shitting on Otamendi who was fantastic throughout the world cup. You would think Messi won the world cup with macedonia with how they talk. There was no "carrying" whatsoever as everal players performed excellently in that Argentine team (Enzo, Macallister, Alvarez, Di Maria, Dibu, Otamendi). Most g&a is also an insane thing to say given the level of opposition Haaland does it against compared to the likes of Clermont foot.
What are you talking about? Who said Otamendi has been shit throughout the tournament, can you read?
In Maradona's, Pele's, Zidane's, R9's teams, there were many players showing amazing performances as well, yet we always say they carried their team to WC glory. Do you know what that means?

Who cares about what you think about goals& assists? Messi is a GOAT level playmaker + dribbler + goalscorer, comparing a tap-in merchant with Messi.

Imagine thinking Messi is a penalty box poacher like Haaland the finals ghost camping in the penalty box all night long. Messi is a playmaker first, won IFFHS World's best playmaker award a record of 5 times.. Go watch some youtube videos..

As others have stated, this award has always been bias against premier league teams. Theres no way you should not be winning the award with 36 premier league goals (a record) and 12 CL goals in a year your team wins the treble. The most common argument I see against him winning is that he supposedly "ghosted" the cl semi finals and finals, which is odd given that Messi "ghosted" the round of 16 and got eliminated. I have no doubts whatsoever that if Haaland played for madrid and had the exact same stats and trophies he would win it for sure.
That's because the best products of Italian, French, Spanish, Argentina, Brazil football almost always choose Spain or Italy. They prefer living in Milan, Barcelona, Madrid with a Latin influence over living in Manchester, Liverpool etc. is this surprising for you? PL has been a league where second fiddles to Xavi like David Silva, Mata, Fabregas wreak havoc.

You're still comparing the GOAT with one of the most one-dimensional strikers of all time with no passing, dribbling, link-up, hold-up play skills. The only way Haaland wins the Ballon D'or for Madrid is if he plays like Benzema and carries his team, that''s how you win Ballon D'or as a striker..He is too limited versus Benzema as a striker..

Thinks we will get impressed by his PL stats at City that has been dominating PL without a striker.. A team where even Raheem Sterling who is notorius for his finishing was able to score 20 in the PL..

To put things into perspective on how ridiculous this ballon d'or is.....if Mbappes teammates score their penalties and Messi's miss theirs, Mbappe is suddenly the ballon dor winner. How does that make any sense whatsoever for an award thats meant to be given to the worlds best footballer of that year? The argentine keeper winning best keeper just further solidifies how ridiculous it is to decide player of the year based on a 7 game tournament.
You are too clueless, football is a team sport.. Of course, multiple players in the same team might have critical moments.. Messi is the MVP of the tournament, do you know what that means? Do you think that prevents his teammates from having key moments as well? Do you think Maradona's, Pele's, Zidane's, Cruyff's, Ronaldo's, Platini's teammates did not have moments saving their teams?

Talks about Messi's teammates contributions, conveniently ignoring how Haaland the tap-in merchant was bailed out in every single semis & final games.. 0 goals & assists in 8 games when City scored 12..

To put things into perspective, if Burruchaga missed the goal with Maradona's pass against Germany in the WC final and lost eventually, then Maradona would not be called a GOAT.

To put things into perspective, if Thuram did not score two against Croatia, in the WC semis when they were down 1-0, Zidane would not have the same legendary status he has now.

To put things into perspective, if Ronaldinho did not save his team against England in 2002 WC when they were down to 10-men in the QFs, R9 would not have the same legendary status..

To put things into perspective, if John Terry did not slip and missed the penalty in the CL semis when they were down 1-0, SAF would finish his career with a single CL and Ronaldo would have no CL before Real..

Do you want me to continue putting things into perspective for you?

Last edited:

kaku06

Rigged. Messi done next to fcuk all over the last 12 months to even be in the running. One or two good games in the World Cup doesn’t exactly equate to being the best player In 12 months.
Atleast be honest with yourself if you want to make an honest point. 1 or 2 games?

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Is this player of the World Cup or balon dor. Ridiculous.
The irony. Is this the golden boot/gerd muller trophy or Ballon Dor? Same logic

Last edited:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Anyone got his acceptance speech with english translation?

Cloud7

The crying in here is exactly as I expected.

World cup matches matter more than club matches. Messi dragged Argentina to the world cup and completed arguably the best football narrative of the last decade or so by overcoming that last hurdle and delivering the world cup for his team. Cry more.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I think they should close the voting next year if Haaland is going to win it. If anything, just for fun to mess with adex and other City fans in disguise here.

So many so called Manchester United fans on Man United forum want City player to win it, it's difficult to explain and understand it.

Son

Messi reached god tier at the World Cup. Nobody in the game could inspire that Argentina side the way he did never mind in his mid 30’s.

It was the only narrative that should win the ballon d or this past season.

City were the best team granted in the game but none of their players could have done what messi did in the WC. He created some of the greatest moments in football history. Nobody else did last season.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
“best player in the wc” for messi and “golden shoe/gerd muller award” for haaland. Both are not BD. You focused on one to call it ridiculous but siding the other, not realizing the irony. Thats all

Son

Haaland should win it for been a tap in merchant in the best team he means. Give it to Messi all day every day.

He created true magic Haaland didn’t. You shouldn’t win ballon dors for goal hanging.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
There was no player clearly better than Messi at club football last season either. And there is no discussion he was the best at the WC.

Morpheus 7

This place is drunk, Haaland was clearly the best player in world football. 3 game Messi in world cup, people love a story.

Unam333

Messi reached god tier at the World Cup. Nobody in the game could inspire that Argentina side the way he did never mind in his mid 30’s.

It was the only narrative that should win the ballon d or this past season.

City were the best team granted in the game but none of their players could have done what messi did in the WC. He created some of the greatest moments in football history. Nobody else did last season.
I agree with the bolded part. Honestly, Haaland is fantastic, but as a United fan I don't want him to win it.

SonOfFergie

Messi had a fairytale ending to his glorious career topping it with World Cup win. It was a given he will win this as probably his last Ballon Dor partly because of WC win and partly on sentimental value for his contribution to the sport through the years. It will also in years gone by enhance his claim to be recognized as the best there was. But even if he would win 15 BDor the debate would never stop. Same as in NBA you will always have Jordan camp and camps for the rest of challengers (Wilt, James etc.).

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
According to some, Messi should have only won 1 Ballon D'Or, perhaps 2 times in his entire career :lol: . Everytime he wins one, people complain there were better players. 10 Sneijder, 11/12 Xavi/Iniesta, 19 van Dijk, 23 Haaland, a few times Ronaldo in between. How dares Messi to win the trophy for the best player in the world.

Vitro

This place is drunk, Haaland was clearly the best player in world football. 3 game Messi in world cup, people love a story.
Haaland is a bottler and a flat track bully. Couldn’t cut it when it mattered. Can’t give the ballon d’or to a player with a season like that, especially when there is a player who didn’t bottle it in the biggest tournament.

arthurka

Yes won it by almost running a mile and lifting the WC. It's beyond a joke now, but it will be funny to see how Ronaldo answers.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
According to some, Messi should have only won 1 Ballon D'Or, perhaps 2 times in his entire career :lol: . Everytime he wins one, people complain there were better players. 10 Sneijder, 11/12 Xavi/Iniesta, 19 van Dijk, 23 Haaland, a few times Ronaldo in between. How dares Messi to win the trophy for the best player in the world.
I call it visualising an ideal world. I recommend this exercise.