Television Band of Brothers

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Ya I remember that. They were on the last few episodes by the time we got Sky.

Had a look but nothing.

Thanks for the replies!
You can pick up the Blu-Ray boxset for next to nothing usually - well worth it just for the series, but it also has a whole load of extras that are really interesting as well.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Just rewatching it again. What an amazing show.

I picked up a blu ray version on amazing for like £8 not so long ago.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
There was talk of a third series following Band of Brothers and The Pacific, this time focusing on members of the 8th Air Force. Had also heard that at one point there was a 4th series in very early development, back over to the PTO again, but this time focusing on the Navy, possibly centered around just one ship or maybe just members of the crews of a couple of different types of ships. But all has gone quiet on these, so maybe they got too costly or the scripts were not measuring up in quality.

Maxii

Paad
Watched this for the first time over the past week, brilliant series. Is The Pacific just as good?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Watched this for the first time over the past week, brilliant series. Is The Pacific just as good?
No, not as good, it focuses on three different marines experiences as opposed to one company so it's not nearly as intimate, and sadly by the time it was filmed a lot of those veterans were dead so couldn't do interviews like in BoB.

It's still very good and worth a watch, though, it does capture how harrowing the Pacific front was very well, extremely grim at times, and has some fantastic battles. If you watch it with an open mind, not expecting it to match BoB, you'll enjoy it.

AkaAkuma

The scene in BoB where they cross the channel in planes ready to parachute out into a hail of bullets in pitch black for me is one of the greatest scenes of war I've seen.

The noise, the feeling of the plane shaking in the wind - planes around being destroyed.

Paxi

Just rewatching this. Seriously one of the best mini tv series made.

Paxi

That scene in the penultimate episode when they reach the concentration camp and the survivor clings to the American soldier for dear life. Choked me up.
I really love the episodes about the siege of Bostogne and battle of the bulge — so many great moments there. Also very harrowing. Can’t imagine how tough those men were.

But yeah concentration camp scene was absolutely horrendous but what a scene.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Part of what made it so good was the stories from the actual soldiers at the beginning and end, and there being far less of them alive for The Pacific was one of its biggest problems. Surely for this there will be .. uh.. nobody alive?
Hopefully it's better than The Pacific.
It's not as good as BoB but I rewatched it a few years ago and and found it much better once I'd accepted it was three separate stories as opposed to one single group of soldiers. I also think it has some of the best and most harrowing battle sequences going.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Part of what made it so good was the stories from the actual soldiers at the beginning and end, and there being far less of them alive for The Pacific was one of its biggest problems. Surely for this there will be .. uh.. nobody alive?

It's not as good as BoB but I rewatched it a few years ago and and found it much better once I'd accepted it was three separate stories as opposed to one single group of soldiers. I also think it has some of the best and most harrowing battle sequences going.
I had two problems with it. The first is the one you've pointed out (lack of stories from the actual soldiers) but I also didn't like how choppy it felt. BoB felt more intimate because of its focus on Easy Company, which I didn't get with TP. I know you accepted that but it didn't click for me first and second time so I might give it another go.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Just watched this show for the first time. Unbelievable show. I already want to rewatch it. Stunning what those men went through, and that's just but one story.
The scene in BoB where they cross the channel in planes ready to parachute out into a hail of bullets in pitch black for me is one of the greatest scenes of war I've seen.

The noise, the feeling of the plane shaking in the wind - planes around being destroyed.
I had my headphones on for the entire show, and the scene in particular struck me for how loud everything was, the plane they were in etc. Really brings it home. When the plane crashes with the men leaping from it on fire, jeez man.

OleBoiii

I think one of my hottest takes when it comes to TV is that I enjoyed The Pacific a little more than Band Of Brothers. I enjoyed both, mind you.

I think The Pacific did a better job illustrating the horrors(as well as the mundane parts) of war. Band Of Brothers is a pretty classic Hollywood story with a very high production value. The best episode of BoB is definitely the Bastogne episode.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
BoB feels more home and it is easier to connect, all in all very relatable and easy to identify yourself with the characters. Pacific on the other hand captures the horrors on a deeper level. As a european, the pacific also feels less home because it isn‘t in europe, whereas BoB is everything just around the corner and you most likely know many people that fought in these battles (in my case: for the losing side).
rewarching the pacific is more interesting to me, but BoB makes me feel much better. It‘s very Hollywood-ish and not remotely as anti war as the pacific. BoB isn‘t critical at all, or at least presentation is far less impressive on an emotional level.

the teeth scenes and the way it was explained and shown how it changes people, as this was the final step away from civilization was always what really impressed me. I will never forget these scenes.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I think one of my hottest takes when it comes to TV is that I enjoyed The Pacific a little more than Band Of Brothers. I enjoyed both, mind you.

I think The Pacific did a better job illustrating the horrors(as well as the mundane parts) of war. Band Of Brothers is a pretty classic Hollywood story with a very high production value. The best episode of BoB is definitely the Bastogne episode.
Is that the one that focuses on the medic and the nurse? Incredible that one.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

To be honest I think I also enjoyed the Pacific more but that's because the Pacific Theater in itself fascinates me more. Beautiful islands, ocean warfare, jungle warfare, you name it.

OleBoiii

To be honest I think I also enjoyed the Pacific more but that's because the Pacific Theater in itself fascinates me more. Beautiful islands, ocean warfare, jungle warfare, you name it.
Yeah, that played a big part for me too. The setting is just more interesting.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I started watching the Pacific a couple of times and just never got into it. Will have to give it another go based on the reviews in here.

I’m surprised people are saying Band of Brothers lacked emotional depth. It hooked me early on and it absolutely felt like an emotional journey alongside the men retelling their stories. That Bastogne episode was right up there with the most impactful TV I’ve seen, and while it was the standout I don’t remember the others feeling shallow in any way.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The Pacific Theater was wild. I know the Eastern Front was insanely brutal and stuff like Normandy and Dunkirk was legendary, but the Pacific and the absurdity of it all just hits different. That’s coming from an American though, of course.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The Pacific Theater was wild. I know the Eastern Front was insanely brutal and stuff like Normandy and Dunkirk was legendary, but the Pacific and the absurdity of it all just hits different. That’s coming from an American though, of course.
It really was wild. Aircraft carrier battles, nuclear bombs, island hopping, kamikaze attacks, Bataan death march etc.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I watched BoB many times. Just epic.
I have read the Ambrose book, and I have read Websters book - where the main story lines come from. I have read Ed Shames book, Easy Company soldier by Don Malarkey, and the Filthy thirteen is another quality book about the airborne.

These men were the real heroes.

Sweet Square

Between a mix of Band Of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan there is some where a truly great WW2 film. As individual pieces of work they are ok and sometimes really good but it is just missing something. Tbh I think a lot of it has to do with the role the Americans played in WW2, which tends to lend itself more to adventure type action films with americans acting as the good guys coming in to save the day. It doesn't capture the insane horror and death cult of nazism and WW2.

Also Spielberg can't do serious subjects.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Between a mix of Band Of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan there is some where a truly great WW2 film. As individual pieces of work they are ok and sometimes really good but it is just missing something. Tbh I think a lot of it has to do with the role the Americans played in WW2, which tends to lend itself more to adventure type action films with americans acting as the good guys coming in to save the day. It doesn't capture the insane horror and death cult of nazism and WW2.

Also Spielberg can't do serious subjects.
Spielberg can't do serious subjects? Schindlers List?

OleBoiii

Tbh I think a lot of it has to do with the role the Americans played in WW2, which tends to lend itself more to adventure type action films with americans acting as the good guys coming in to save the day.
This is another reason for why I prefer The Pacific. The Americans(maybe apart from one character, though not really when you know how it ends for him) aren't really portrayed as heroes. There's even a scene where a large group of American soldiers mentally torture and kill a Japanese solider just for fun.

Band of Brothers is essentially a longer version of Saving Private Ryan, except the premise isn't stupid and the characters are more likeable. Saving Private Ryan has one of the best movie openings ever, though.

Sweet Square

Spielberg can't do serious subjects? Schindlers List?
Schindlers List is a good example. The holocaust is the abyss, a bottomless pit of evil yet Spielberg still has to find some redemptive character/story to give his audience.

Elem Klimov gave up directing after making Come And See because he had nothing left to say. Spielberg next film is a remake of West Side Story.

This is another reason for why I prefer The Pacific. The Americans(maybe apart from one character, though not really when you know how it ends for him) aren't really portrayed as heroes. There's even a scene where a large group of American soldiers mentally torture and kill a Japanese solider just for fun.

Band of Brothers is essentially a longer version of Saving Private Ryan, except the premise isn't stupid and the characters are more likeable. Saving Private Ryan has one of the best movie openings ever, though.
I've yet to see The Pacific(Might make a good boxset to watch over Christmas)but yeah for me the most interesting american war films are when it's far more grey or even when the Americans are the bad guys(Imo there are far more better american war films about Vietnam than WW2).

Agree that Saving Private Ryan has one of the greatest openings of all time which I think also really hurts the film because I'm not sure how the rest of it could of lived up to that opening. But even with that said the rest of the film is a pretty standard war/action film and oddly enough considering the opening in the end it becomes a pro war film. If you are going to be in the army who wouldn't want to die side by side defending a small french town with substitute teacher Tom Hanks, as Edith Piaf plays in the background.