Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

justsomebloke

56 million views. Crazy numbers for a video just meant for the Spanish market.

I think it actually achieved what he wanted it to. By blowing up the RM/Franco/Barsa thing he basically ignited the civil war online and by doing so took the spotlight away from the everyday drip of the Barsa payments to Negreira investigation. The press and twitterati are only going to talk about the former now and digging into which member of which board fought in which army and how many pictures of them with a flag there are. Anything better than having the world press hearing about payments to encourage a culture of refereeing against one team.
Yep. It's smoke. And Real just help them by fanning the embers.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
It is Laporta who trivialises by saying that all this is an attack on Catalan nationality and naming Franco while still not explaining things properly.
As I said and also many catalan journalists, it was wrong from Laporta to mention Real Madrid. He should have focused only on Negreira. But he didn't trivialize. He named Real Madrid "the regime club" and how can you actually deny it? It doesn't matter at all how many times Real Madrid won the league under Franco. The simple fact, that Los Blancos were the most important club in Franco's centralised spain and represented his conservative order out of Madrid, tells you they were a regime club.

The mass at Camp Nou and the badges may be out of context. Obligations to the regime but the three requalifications are not.
Yes during that time, when Franco's thugs governed the city Barcelona, they helped the club a few times. But why? Because they wanted to hurt catalans in turning Barca into a regime club. After murdering Barca's catalan president, they forbade everything catalan related. Catalan flag inside the crest, spoken language, naming of the stadium and many more examples.
And Madrid releases a video of barca being helped by Franco's regime? That's vile cynicism, nothing else.

It was rumoured that he was going to resign from the Super League (I'm glad he didn't) but can he afford to? Or does that lead them to limited company and Goldman Sachs?
I don't know. But it's clear that this dispute now will definitely not help the SL. Ceferin opened a bottle of champagne right now I'd imagine.

justsomebloke

As I said and also many catalan journalists, it was wrong from Laporta to mention Real Madrid. He should have focused only on Negreira. But he didn't trivialize. He named Real Madrid "the regime club" and how can you actually deny it? It doesn't matter at all how many times Real Madrid won the league under Franco. The simple fact, that Los Blancos were the most important club in Franco's centralised spain and represented his conservative order out of Madrid, tells you they were a regime club.

Yes during that time, when Franco's thugs governed the city Barcelona, they helped the club a few times. But why? Because they wanted to hurt catalans in turning Barca into a regime club. After murdering Barca's catalan president, they forbade everything catalan related. Catalan flag inside the crest, spoken language, naming of the stadium and many more examples.
And Madrid releases a video of barca being helped by Franco's regime? That's vile cynicism, nothing else.

I don't know. But it's clear that this dispute now will definitely not help the SL. Ceferin opened a bottle of champagne right now I'd imagine.
All of this is absolutely irrelevant to the matter at hand.

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
Starting at 0:15 of this video from 1993 (Negreira was already the ref VP) the TV host asks Negreira:

-'Tomorrow morning, at 6:00a.m., you have to catch a flight to Madrid, to DESIGNATE the referees for the next matchday?'

Negreira: - 'If possible yes'

There are a number of articles today covering Laporta's lies from yesterday's PC.
Just one example: he reiterated many times that Negreira had no say in the ref appointments although there many such testimonies (like Negreira himself in the video above). Laporta justified it with article 29 of the Spanish FA regulation.

According to this article, article 29 of the Spanish FA regulation says that the vicepresident of the refereering technical committee can:
--"appoint the refereeing teams to matches of national competitions."
--"receive, control and file the ref evaluation reports", as well as "evaluate the referees".

Yes during that time, when Franco's thugs governed the city Barcelona, they helped the club a few times. But why? Because they wanted to hurt catalans in turning Barca into a regime club.
The level of copium a four minute video created :lol:

Last edited:

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
It doesn't matter at all how many times Real Madrid won the league under Franco.
Barcelona fans are having a problem recently where they think they get to decide what "matters" to people and what doesn't.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
All of this is absolutely irrelevant to the matter at hand.
This is absolutely relevant, because this thread is about Barca in general. There is another thread dedicated to the Negreira charge. But moderators named them both similar, so I understand the confusion.

justsomebloke

This is absolutely relevant, because this thread is about Barca in general. There is another thread dedicated to the Negreira charge. But moderators named them both similar, so I understand the confusion.
Ok, though I note the thread is named "Barcelona: shady payments? Charged with corruption". Which doesn't sound to me like a thread dedicated to general discussion about Barcelona. Anyway. That's what I was arguing the history/Real discussion is irrelevant to. I'm sure it may be relevant to many other things.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
They and their players should have their CL’s and leagues stripped if it included them.

Poor stuff.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Yes, Laporta shouldn't have mentioned Real Madrid in his defense. But this response is beyond disgusting. To trivialize a murderous and fascist regime by saying they helped Barca and providing out of context examples makes my stomach turn. While they're at it, why don't they release another video how Putin helped Ukrainians, Xi Uyghurs and Hitler helped Jews.
But this answer also shows, why dirt campaigns in spain are so common. At least, the superficial friendship because of the SL should be definitely over now.
Everyone knows that Franco was from Barcelona since he was little. And Madrid was harmed during his dictatorship.

And all those former members, ex-players and ex-directors of Real Madrid who were presidents of the referees' committee, they helped Barcelona and not Real Madrid, obviously.

José Plaza deserves a separate chapter. A few weeks ago a former referee came out saying that José Plaza called him whenever he had to referee Madrid, and told him "I trust you".

But surely that's a lie.

whitbyviking

Everyone knows that Franco was from Barcelona since he was little. And Madrid was harmed during his dictatorship.

And all those former members, ex-players and ex-directors of Real Madrid who were presidents of the referees' committee, they helped Barcelona and not Real Madrid, obviously.

José Plaza deserves a separate chapter. A few weeks ago a former referee came out saying that José Plaza called him whenever he had to referee Madrid, and told him "I trust you".

But surely that's a lie.
If Real Madrid are guilty then there should be an investigation and the book thrown at them. You will find nobody (except probably the Madrid fans) in here who will disagree with that and would treat them exactly the same.

Stop deflecting.

Barcelona are the issue here, the deflection, whataboutery and general childlike responses to being caught doing something wrong are cringeworthy in the extreme.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I think you'll find that if you check the refereeing decisions made, Barcelona are the rightful winners of every league title from 1940 to 1975.

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
How long was Negreira in that VP position?
---Negreira was the ref VP between 1994 and 2018. ((Good to remember he had previously participated as a linesman in the famous match Notingham-Anderlecht. He denied any involvement in the proved fixing scandal but there is no way of knowing as the main ref died in a car accident before testifying))

---He was appointed as the ref VP by Villar who was the president of the Spanish FA from 1988 and 2017. He is currently under investigation for 'Caso Soule' in an alleged hole of 22.2M€ that was generated within the Spanish FA. Villar was famously good friends with Barca, as well as the VP of UEFA and the VP of FIFA

---Sanchez Arminio was the ref President (Negreira's boss) from 1993 to 2018. He is also under investigation for 'Caso Soule' for the alleged diversion of 8 million euros to the arbitration establishment.

---Josep Contreras Arjona, a former Barca executive who died recently and is involved in the Negreira scandal (Barca paid Negreira's son was paid through his companies) was also involved in "Caso Soule"

Last edited:

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
The Real Madrid intern, or whoever did this disgusting video achieved their goal. Even the catalan government published a statement on it:

If Perez or Madrid don't apologize for it, I'm pretty sure the relationship between both clubs will be on a new low for a very long time. It wouldn't even surprise me, if Laporta starts to return back to Uefa again because of this. They definetly crossed the line here.

Last edited:

Member 125398

Yes, Laporta shouldn't have mentioned Real Madrid in his defense. But this response is beyond disgusting. To trivialize a murderous and fascist regime by saying they helped Barca and providing out of context examples makes my stomach turn. While they're at it, why don't they release another video how Putin helped Ukrainians, Xi Uyghurs and Hitler helped Jews.
Chat shit get banged.

OK_computer

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm enjoying every minute of this, they (Barca) really are something else :D

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
The Real Madrid intern, or whoever did this disgusting video achieved their goal. Even the catalan government published a statement on it:

If Perez or Madrid don't apologize for it, I'm pretty sure the relationship between both clubs will be on a new low for a very long time. It wouldn't even surprise me, if Laporta starts to return back to Uefa again because of this. They definetly crossed the line here.

Boo hoo hoo, the bad men said something that hurt my fee-fees about my club that have never done anything wrong except lie and cheat for years and years! And even if we did lie and cheat it's actually their fault for existing so definitely just focus on that
Fixed that for you

RoyH1

Chat shit get banged.
Indeed. The lack of self insight from Barcelona fans never ceases to amaze me. it really is astonishing the huge victim complex and mentality that they carry around and transmit. They're the Karen of football fanbases and want to speak to the manager...constantly.

Daonico

Madrid responds to Laporta, about what he said in his interview today.
Among what the video says:

"The Camp Nou was inaugurated by one of Franco's ministers", "Barcelona gave the gold and diamonds badge to Franco", "named him honorary member in 1965", "decorated him on three occasions" ,"Barcelona was saved from bankruptcy three times, by three requalifications", "Barcelona won 8 leagues and 9 Spanish Cups with Franco".
"Madrid took 15 years to win the league under Franco", "Madrid was dismantled after the end of the civil war, players murdered and exiled", "The headquarters bombed, the trophies stolen and the stands destroyed to get wood"
They were just ensuring his neutrality!

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Indeed. The lack of self insight from Barcelona fans never ceases to amaze me. it really is astonishing the huge victim complex and mentality that they carry around and transmit. They're the Karen of football fanbases and want to speak to the manager...constantly.

"If you are not prepared before the media, they will make you love the oppressor and hate the oppressed"

Malcolm X

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo

You waste time. We live in the era of post-truth.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea

History can wait, I’m more interested in the present. I would happily join your outrage and protest over this if Laporta can apologize and admit the shit you guys have done was wrong. Since both seem equally unlikely, I’ll stick to football matters.

Member 125398

"If you are not prepared before the media, they will make you love the oppressor and hate the oppressed"

Malcolm X
:D

I have often noticed that a bribe has that effect - it changes a relation. The man who offers a bribe gives away a little of his own importance; the bribe once accepted, he becomes the inferior, like a man who has paid for a woman.

Graham Greene

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
This stupid Franco debate started because Laporta didn't like the fact that Real participated in the legal process involving Negreira and Barca.
Sandro Rosell (Barça former president and one of the people charged) also filed an appeal trying to reject Real from participating.

Well, according to this article the Prosecution has accepted the participation of Real. They would also accept the participation any other club that competed against Barca during 2001-2018 as they may consider themselves harmed by the alleged sports corruption.

I hope Espanyol and every other La Liga team also participates. Laporta would love it.

They were just ensuring his neutrality!
You are quoting malcolm x in a thread about Barca corruption.... :houllier:
I'm convinced Niemans is a troll trying to make Barcelona fans look bad
:D :D

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Nice to see that the tactic of "trying to change the subject" has failed, and the subsequent "pretending to be morally outraged and overly theatrical when someone mirrors what we were doing with our statements as well" has also failed. I'm just surprised that they've managed to squeeze so much into 24 hours.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
By the way, in the decontextualized video that Real Madrid TV broadcast, they denied that the presidents of the referees committee for decades were ex-players, ex-members or ex-directors of Real Madrid?

- Orrantia (former referee of the League): "When I had to referee Madrid, PLAZA CALLED ME and told me ... hey, we trust you..."

With Plaza 14 years appointing referees "by hand", Madrid won 11 leagues, Atlético 2, Barcelona 1.

Last edited:

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
What they don't talk about is that Real Madrid was ahead of Barça in time using the Referees Committee for their own benefit. And not with the number two. Real Madrid bet directly on the head of the referees, at that time José Plaza Pedraz, who came to boast that with him in the presidency of the referees Barça would never win LaLiga. He wasn't wrong. Only one year was Barça able to overcome its curse.

The issue was denounced in the seventies by the international referee, coincidentally from Madrid, Antonio Camacho, the best Spanish referee of the moment. There were police investigations, but the case came to nothing. As usual with everything related to Real Madrid, dirt was thrown on top and nothing has happened here. No trials or sanctions.

The controversial José Plaza presided over the arbitrators from 1967 to 1970 and then Pablo Porta recovered him in 1975 and commanded the arbitrators until 1990, with the particularity that he was personally in charge of the arbitral appointments. That is, he personally took care to choose the referees who should decide the fate of the League with Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
---Negreira was the ref VP between 1994 and 2018. ((Good to remember he had previously participated as a linesman in the famous match Notingham-Anderlecht. He denied any involvement in the proved fixing scandal but there is no way of knowing as the main ref died in a car accident before testifying))

---He was appointed as the ref VP by Villar who was the president of the Spanish FA from 1988 and 2017. He is currently under investigation for 'Caso Soule' in an alleged hole of 22.2M€ that was generated within the Spanish FA. Villar was famously good friends with Barca, as well as the VP of UEFA and the VP of FIFA

---Sanchez Arminio was the ref President (Negreira's boss) from 1993 to 2018. He is also under investigation for 'Caso Soule' for the alleged diversion of 8 million euros to the arbitration establishment.

---Josep Contreras Arjona, a former Barca executive who died recently and is involved in the Negreira scandal (Barca paid Negreira's son was paid through his companies) was also involved in "Caso Soule"
I mean just the fact that someone could be in that position for so long, for 24 years, seems absolutely insane to me. There seems to be a systemic issue where you're almost asking for corruption and conflict of interest cases to arise. There should be term limitations for these kind of positions, and much stronger control of their activities in general.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
The Guruceta scandal.

The name of Anderlecht is irremediably linked to an episode that tarnished the history of the Belgian club in 1997. That year, the former president of the entity, Constant Vanden Stock, and father of Roger, current president, admitted, before a Belgian civil court, to have paid one million Belgian francs (24,000 euros now) to the Gipuzkoan referee, Emilio Guruceta, for letting his team win in the 1984 UEFA Cup. It happened in the second leg of the semifinals against Nottingham.In the final, Anderlecht lost on penalties to Tottenham.

José Plaza resigned in 1970 in solidarity with José Emilio Guruceta, the referee who starred in one of the biggest scandals in the history of football pointing out as a penalty a foul by Rifé on Vázquez that occurred a meter and a half outside the area. The earthquake was huge, because it took Barça out of the Cup to give it to Real Madrid. The outrage was tremendous, because it was clear that it was not human error. The match had to be suspended in the face of public protests with a massive throwing of pads that still remember the old people of the place.

Plaza defended Guruceta's mistake. He favoured Real Madrid, naturally. And he presented his resignation in solidarity with the referee who dared to stand up to Barça with his wrong decisions and who was punished by the high instances, who were not in the garlic, with six months of sanction. As time passed, the referee himself admitted his blatant error. And it all stayed there. Because when it comes to Real Madrid, nothing ever happens. And if he passes, he is greeted.

Member 125398

What they don't talk about is that Real Madrid was ahead of Barça in time using the Referees Committee for their own benefit. And not with the number two. Real Madrid bet directly on the head of the referees, at that time José Plaza Pedraz, who came to boast that with him in the presidency of the referees Barça would never win LaLiga. He wasn't wrong. Only one year was Barça able to overcome its curse.

The issue was denounced in the seventies by the international referee, coincidentally from Madrid, Antonio Camacho, the best Spanish referee of the moment. There were police investigations, but the case came to nothing. As usual with everything related to Real Madrid, dirt was thrown on top and nothing has happened here. No trials or sanctions.

The controversial José Plaza presided over the arbitrators from 1967 to 1970 and then Pablo Porta recovered him in 1975 and commanded the arbitrators until 1990, with the particularity that he was personally in charge of the arbitral appointments. That is, he personally took care to choose the referees who should decide the fate of the League with Real Madrid and Barcelona.
Are you saying that clubs should be punished for corruption relating to referees?