Barcelona Fire Sale - who are you taking?

POF

Although he's on the "not available" list, Lenglet is the one I would want.

Hard to see any value in the others for what United are trying to build. The ones they want rid of will be overpriced, on big money and lacking motivation.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Honestyl: Nobody. The guys they are selling are either absolutely shot or so massively overpaid that they'd ruin our wage structure. I also doubt they'd really want to run their socks of all game.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
If Umtiti can regain his motivation he could still be a world class CB. Leading up to the World Cup he was amazing, but since then it's like he's not bothered with football at all, like he feels he's done enough, it's such a waste. Perhaps a change of environment would do him good.

If you wouldn't mind taking Vidal and Rakitic as well.... :angel: :lol: :lol:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Shows how far we've come and how far they have fallen mostly that we don't want any of their players except the obvious one or two who aren't for sale anyway.

Barca are in serious trouble.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
What a terrible message to send out to a squad in disarray. The players not listed as 'keep's must feel like dirt, and what happens if they have no takers? They have some huge wages amongst the ones they want to discard, but have now announced to the world they want rid; who is it that's supposed to be picking up their deadwood?

They're going to get absolutely fleeced in the market for both buying and selling as they've shown a completely stupid hand (and their arses) to the world. Just when you think the incompetence can't get any worse, a press conference like this is flung in your face. Unbelievable.

Also, imagine giving Ronald Koeman the keys to the kingdom. Does that mean their DOF is following his instruction now or what?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What a terrible message to send out to a squad in disarray. The players not listed as 'keep's must feel like dirt, and what happens if they have no takers? They have some huge wages amongst the ones they want to discard, but have now announced to the world they want rid; who is it that's supposed to be picking up their deadwood?

They're going to get absolutely fleeced in the market for both buying and selling as they've shown a completely stupid hand (and their arses) to the world. Just when you think the incompetence can't get any worse, a press conference like this is flung in your face. Unbelievable.

Also, imagine giving Ronald Koeman the keys to the kingdom. Does that mean their DOF is following his instruction now or what?
Everyone knows it anyway, so it changes nothing from a business standpoint. When players are for sale or in the case of some of these players won't be renewed, clubs communicate that information to the respective agents who will then shop their own players, that's what "on the transfer list" actually means. So all clubs know about it and in particular the clubs that may be interested by these players or may be interesting for these players.
Now, it's true that a clear out must be difficult to live for players and I wonder how the intransferables are looked at by the rest of the locker room.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Lets be realistic. There are plenty of players in Barca who could be excellent signings for us. Umtiti to add quality on defence, Alba to challenge Shaw, Rakitic and Vidal to add depth in midfield because we have only 4 quality midfielders, Suarez, Coutinho...
But their wages, their fees and their age is a problem in this post covid era so i don't think that we will be interested in any of them.

If we can't get Sancho i would go for Umtiti, Rakitic and Coutinho. But again, their wages are huge

Rojofiam

Lets be realistic. There are plenty of players in Barca who could be excellent signings for us. Umtiti to add quality on defence, Alba to challenge Shaw, Rakitic and Vidal to add depth in midfield because we have only 4 quality midfielders, Suarez, Coutinho...
But their wages, their fees and their age is a problem in this post covid era so i don't think that we will be interested in any of them.

If we can't get Sancho i would go for Umtiti, Rakitic and Coutinho. But again, their wages are huge
I think you're massively overrating Barcelona's squad and underrating ours. Alba, Rakitic, Vidal would be considered deadwood on this forum after 6 months.

RedCurry

I would take Arthur over most midfielders we are constantly linked to. He is completely different than what we have in our squad and would offer the manager another option.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Busquets and Roberto/Semedo, Dembele because left-footed. I have no idea if it works but I'd love to see a Busquets-Pogba-Fernandes 433.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’d take Jordi Alba, Gerard Pique, Sergi Roberto, Sergio Busquets, Ivan Rakitic & Luis Suarez.

All would improve our squad depth quite a lot.

Alba & Pique would probably start. Roberto to provide competition with AWB & also fill in in Midfield, Busquets to compete with Matic, Rakitic is an upgrade on Fred & McTominay, Suarez would be a fantastic option up front for us. In the form Rashford is in Martial would be moved to the left & Suarez would start.

JPRouve

Scout
I would take Arthur over most midfielders we are constantly linked to. He is completely different than what we have in our squad and would offer the manager another option.
Busquets and Roberto/Semedo, Dembele because left-footed. I have no idea if it works but I'd love to see a Busquets-Pogba-Fernandes 433.
Arthur is a Juventus player and Dembélé/Semedo aren't for sale according to Bartomeu.

DavelinaJolie

None of them, I think they dug a hole and kept digging deeper, now they should be left in it.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Rakitic, Vidal, Alba, Pique, Bisquets and Suarez are all still good players. Question is how cheap they would be and whether they'd want assurances of playing time...

FujiVice

If Van Gaal and Mourinho was still here, we'd take so many of these, regardless or age or quality.

Not a single player, and given the state of the depth at Utd - that’s saying something!

Overpaid, old and just looking for anyone to kee paying them at the same level is how you can describe most of their squad.

We need to keep well away of this lot.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Rafinha as a cheap gamble perhaps but it would only be as a bench option and I wouldn't be expecting too much. He did quite well in latest loan at Celta Vigo.

Available for €16m/£14.5m apparently, might even be able to knock that down a little.

It is only a 'perhaps' too, I wouldn't be so eager to make the signing and CM is one area where we are quite well stacked. Purely a bit of a punt for low money. Speculation is he might be off to China, but Wolves and Everton were linked recently.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Shows how far we've come and how far they have fallen mostly that we don't want any of their players except the obvious one or two who aren't for sale anyway.

Barca are in serious trouble.
No, it shows how fickle footballs fans are and how little they know about football

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
No, it shows how fickle footballs fans are and how little they know about football
It doesn't though. Alba, Pique, Vidal, Busquets, Suarez are all part of the first 11 and none of them I'd want anymore. All past their best and on the decline. La Liga has had the most glorious golden era going. It's over.....for now.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It doesn't though. Alba, Pique, Vidal, Busquets, Suarez are all part of the first 11 and none of them I'd want anymore. All past their best and on the decline. La Liga has had the most glorious golden era going. It's over.....for now.
Why wouldn't you want any of them? Serious question here.

You realize Pique would still be your best CB by far, Alba is better than Shaw, Vidal is still a great player that would be useful to anyone, Busquets is still great the majority of the time(and might even still be outright great on a team like City) and Suarez is still one of the best goalscorers in the world right? That they are by no means anything less than great players still?

JPRouve

Scout

You realize Pique would still be your best CB by far, Alba is better than Shaw, Vidal is still a great player that would be useful to anyone, Busquets is still great the majority of the time(and might even still be outright great on a team like City) and Suarez is still one of the best goalscorers in the world right? That they are by no means anything less than great players still?
Honestly, I think that people haven't really followed Barcelona and think that their team is actually bad. The only issue with these players is their cost and how Busquets and Suarez in particular do not fit with Barcelona current needs.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

No thanks. All been great players but now the wrong age, profile and all on their way down. Pique would get absolutely ruined in the PL too. He struggled with the pace of it when he was younger. Now he'd get absolutely destroyed by pace.

iHicksy

There are players which play for Barca and are still absolute quality. It's simply that they don't fit the barcelona way of playing. You also have to factor in the messi equation. It does seem that to play in their forward line up if you don't have a rapport with him then it doesn't seem to work out. Griezman didn't stop being a fantastic player just because he moved to barca, he simply doesn't fit in with their team. For what it's worth I think he'd be good for us. However, his wages and the fact he's a massively unlikeable cnut are stumbling blocks.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No thanks. All been great players but now the wrong age, profile and all on their way down. Pique would get absolutely ruined in the PL too. He struggled with the pace of it when he was younger. Now he'd get absolutely destroyed by pace.
He's faster and quicker than Maguire!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I was a huge fan of Umtiti for a while but he's missed so much that I can't see him getting back to his original level. Dembélé is an interesting option, but he sounds completely unprofessional – unhealthy diet, lazy attitude, fecked up daily schedule with his gaming obsession etc. – and you can already see how that affects his fitness and performance levels. It also seems like they'd prefer to keep him anyway.

Pique would've been a good choice if we didn't have Maguire already, I don't think that they are very complimentary. He's better than Maguire, but the age is not on his side and there's no way we'll bench or sell Maguire, so this transfer doesn't make much sense.
Busquets is still great, but we need a different kind of a defensive midfielder next to Pogba (Casemiro/Kanté).
Alba is probably the most interesting option out of those that are seemingly available – he is still a fantastic fullbacks and he offers more in offense that all of our other fullbacks combined. His baby face makes it impossible to believe that he's already 31 though.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I don't think he's a world beater, but he's a good utlilty player.

He's been better as a RB for them than Semedo has IMO.

Though for those wages, I wouldn't touch him.
It's a bit of a Lingard situation, where a homegrown player who performs well and can cover multiple positions gets a huge contract because the club pays everyone too much. It's not a current Lingard situation though, but a Lingard situation from the time of his purple patch.

dev1l

I don't think he's a world beater, but he's a good utlilty player.

He's been better as a RB for them than Semedo has IMO.

Though for those wages, I wouldn't touch him.
Semedo is useless defensively

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I would have been interested in Dembele & Frenkie. I would have been interested in Arthur if he was still around.
Unfortunately those are all off the table.

Messi & Griezmann & are both past their peak and insanely expensive wage wise. Suarez is out of the question anyway.

Pjanic, Vidal & Rakitic could all be okay if their wages were fairly low, which they probably wouldn't be.
Busquets is good but we already have a good older DM, we need someone with fresher legs.

Pique is just a no for me. We already have Maguire as our slow cb, two of them is a bad combination.

Alba would be interesting if I didn't detest him so much, but I would take Firpo so we have someone good for the left if Shaw is out.

I don't see anyone apart from Firpo, and that midfield trio of Pjanic, Vidal and Rakitic who could be good to have as squad options for a short time if they accepted less than massive wages on long contracts.

I'm sure they'll get offers, but from our squads point of view we just aren't a good fit for the players they want to get rid of.