Barcelona vs Manchester United | Build-up Thread

always_hoping

Barcelona this season in all competitions.

P18 W12 D2 L4 scored 43 conceded 16

Top 5 scorers Robert Lewandowski 18, Ferran Torres 5, Ousmane Dembele 5, Ansu Fati 3,Sergi Roberto 2

Most assists- Dembele 7,Lewandowski 4,Raphinha 4

Chances created - Dembele 34,Raphinha 24,Jordi Alba 22

Man United in comparison

P19 W12 D2 L5 scored 28 conceded 22

Top 5 scorers - Marcus Rashford 7, Anthony Martial 3,Cristiano Ronaldo 3,Jadon Sancho 3,Antony 3

Most assists - Eriksen 5,Rashford 3,Martial 2

Chances created - Bruno Fernandes 45,Dalot 31,Eriksen 27

cyberman

Barcelona this season in all competitions.

P18 W12 D2 L4 scored 43 conceded 16

Top 5 scorers Robert Lewandowski 18, Ferran Torres 5, Ousmane Dembele 5, Ansu Fati 3,Sergi Roberto 2

Most assists- Dembele 7,Lewandowski 4,Raphinha 4

Chances created - Dembele 34,Raphinha 24,Jordi Alba 22

Man United in comparison

P19 W12 D2 L5 scored 28 conceded 22

Top 5 scorers - Marcus Rashford 7, Anthony Martial 3,Cristiano Ronaldo 3,Jadon Sancho 3,Antony 3

Most assists - Eriksen 5,Rashford 3,Martial 2

Chances created - Bruno Fernandes 45,Dalot 31,Eriksen 27
Most of our games have been against the quality of teams Barca struggle against though

SATA

Ten Hag vs Xavi. Ten Hag every single time

Lewandowski is a concern though. He’s still pretty fecking good even at his age now

Lecland07

Barcelona are not even that good; not sure why people are making them out to be something their not.

Inter completely played them and they aren't even having a good season - 7th in Serie A

They only managed to win against Viktoria Plzen in their group.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
These upsets can happen, especially against underdogs. The team wasn't in best form, Lewandowski was with his head negotiating with you guys and Villarreal scored in the last minute with their first shot in target.

It wouldn't have happened against Barcelona though.
Indeed, Villarreal scored in the last minute but in the first leg they could have finished 3-0 or 4-0 with a bit of success.

Lewandowski wasn't with his head anywhere. He was in the game but Bayern was unable to get into a tight defence.

Zed 101

If we go with pace on the break we win, if we play Ronaldo and/or Maguire we lose

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Indeed, Villarreal scored in the last minute but in the first leg they could have finished 3-0 or 4-0 with a bit of success.
True. The first leg was one of Bayern's worst performances in the CL. They clearly underestimated Villarreal and we're totally surprised how Villarreal had been set up for that tie.

Lewandowski was on track to beat his own record of 42 goals in March but his form totally deteriorated once the rumors popped up he isn't extending his contact.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
True. The first leg was one of Bayern's worst performances in the CL. They clearly underestimated Villarreal and we're totally surprised how Villarreal had been set up for that tie.

Lewandowski was on track to beat his own record of 42 goals in March but his form totally deteriorated once the rumors popped up he isn't extending his contact.
Just out of curiosity. When did Lewandowski's relationship with Bayern begin to deteriorate?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Just out of curiosity. When did Lewandowski's relationship with Bayern begin to deteriorate?
It's a good question. One rumour is, once he got aware of Bayern's interest in Haaland.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Can't see us scoring enough goals to go through. If I was a betting man, I'd say Lewandowski will get more that the whole United team combined

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It's a good question. One rumour is, once he got aware of Bayern's interest in Haaland.
I tend to believe he just wanted to prove himself in a second country (third if you count his nationality)

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
His form started to deteriorate in March/April, not sure when his relationship with the club became strained.

Haaland isn't the issue, if the reports that Barcelona and Lewandowski already agreed terms when the story of the club being interested in Lewandowski became public, are true.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I was just looking at the La Liga table and to my amazement Barca only conceded 5 goals in 14 games, 3 of which in their only defeat against Real.
If nothing changes dramatically within the next months, we have more chances of winning the PL than knocking them out.

Eli Zee

This is exciting. Regardless of if we win or lose, I always want to see us competing against the better teams. This is like a EL finals match over two legs.

this is a long season with not a lot of squad depth. If we get knocked out, so be it... easier to get top 4 in the league.

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Why am so god damn cynical about this tie , I just can't see how we could win at all, wasn't feeling this bad in 2019 when they were cl favorites for gods sake.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If Uniteds key players are available and we are in decent form, there's no reason why we cannot win this. It's mostly the usual doom and gloomers predicting we have no chance

colombianmancunian

If Uniteds key players are available and we are in decent form, there's no reason why we cannot win this. It's mostly the usual doom and gloomers predicting we have no chance
That bunch is really annoying. They are talking about this Barcelona team as if it was 2011 or 2015 Barcelona, while talking about United as if we were a pub team.

We can, and will, defeat this iteration of Barcelona.

crossy1686

career ending
If Rashford is on form, Sancho is back and Antony wakes the feck up we should batter them but I fear we’ll go out on away goals or something

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
On paper their team is really good, why are they doing so averagely?

cyberman

On paper their team is really good, why are they doing so averagely?
Overrated, there’s a lack of athletic ability through the squad that you need for modern football.
Rashford could have a field day here since they struggle v direct football as well

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Buzzing for this game! Got a ticket for the home game. Hope we’re still in the tie by then!

charlenefan

Overrated, there’s a lack of athletic ability through the squad that you need for modern football.
Rashford could have a field day here since they struggle v direct football as well
Which of their players do you think is overrated out of interest?

cyberman

Which of their players do you think is overrated out of interest?
Their midfield three as a whole. There isn’t enough creative force through there with Pedri and Gabi, as good as they are.
Fati doesn’t look the same player post injuries and Lewa is on the way down while Alba still playingfor them shocks me.
Raphina speaks for himself

Isafim

I think Barcelona have had a bit of a downturn with injuries to the quick defenders they played at the start of the season. With their return they become a very strong team again. The first game against Bayern can give us a good example of this. Although Bayern was in bad form drawing against the Bundesliga teams. Barcelona really played that game very well. If Busquets plays, it's almost certain that we will dominate the midfield. It will be a much more interesting game if they play with Pedri, Gavi and De Jong against our best midfield in Eriksen, Casemiro and Bruno Fernandes. Their quick defense will give our offense a hard time. But Varane and Martinez will also choke Lewandowski.

charlenefan

Their midfield three as a whole. There isn’t enough creative force through there with Pedri and Gabi, as good as they are.
Fati doesn’t look the same player post injuries and Lewa is on the way down while Alba still playingfor them shocks me.
Raphina speaks for himself
Interesting

Going to be fascinating games, I still expect Barca to go through like they did when we last met them in the UCL but regardless of where they are would be a great boost for the team if we did do them over both legs

Wayne's World

We'll beat them when the times comes, I don't think they will be motivated to go far in it

They have got to win the league this season too for financial reasons

Gasolin

I think Barcelona have had a bit of a downturn with injuries to the quick defenders they played at the start of the season. With their return they become a very strong team again. The first game against Bayern can give us a good example of this. Although Bayern was in bad form drawing against the Bundesliga teams. Barcelona really played that game very well. If Busquets plays, it's almost certain that we will dominate the midfield. It will be a much more interesting game if they play with Pedri, Gavi and De Jong against our best midfield in Eriksen, Casemiro and Bruno Fernandes. Their quick defense will give our offense a hard time. But Varane and Martinez will also choke Lewandowski.
We don’t have Lisandro in the first game I think. We would maybe play with Shaw.

Greck

We missed the chance to go top but you just know the cnuts at Uefa rigged this thing for the Ronaldo vs Barca angle. It's not that we're scared it's more that we're already having to field a most competitive team so early in the competition. Fatigue much.

JeffFromHK

we need to overcome Real Madrid/Barcelona phobia. We have 4 losses in a row against Barca since that game in 2008.

Dannn411

Back 3, 3-5-2 and put Rashford and someone else speedy up top to chase down punts and counters. That should be our default formation for big games till further notice.

JeffFromHK

It's not a phobia. Except for 2009 final when we were at their level, we've not been anywhere near as good as them since.
Liverpool were not at our level in 90s or 00s but they still had a great record against us.