Barcelona vs Manchester United | Build-up Thread

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Be good to show those wasters at Barca forum who's boss. Great tie, can't wait.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The caf does make me laugh at times, you had a massive portion of the forum crying at the end of last season it's Champions League or nothing, only play the kids if we get Europa blah blah blah. Now the same posters are crying we got a tough draw and are upset we are likely to struggle to go through. I (since we have been shit) have always embraced this competition as it's our level, same with the League cup. The trophies the bigger teams concentrate on Premier League and Champions League are way out of reach at the moment, I would rather we focus on actually trying to win a trophy like the EL or League cup. Barcelona is such a glamourous tie and I can't wait!
It is pretty ridiculous. How can you moan about not getting Top 4, then moan about getting Top 4 opposition. Doesn't make any sense?

A very cruel draw for the last 32, but a great tie. It's a sign of the times for both clubs that it's a Europa League tie; it should be a Champions League tie between two great clubs. As long as we are able to put out a strong team, we will have every chance. It's good the second leg is at home.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Zlatan was just born as a winner. Zlatan is winning everywhere he is playing. Big big factor.
Wonder what happened to this "winner" in big European ties consistently throughout his career.

Cantona_7_

Wonder what happened to this "winner" in big European ties consistently throughout his career.
how many goals you scored in cl? such a dumb statment I see repeated by fools

he scored about 50 goals, so what he did not win it, same with Ronaldo and Maradona + many others

or you think milan baros and anderson is greater players because they won it? first 2 that popped into my mind but alot of "nobodys" has won it and alot of great players never did. Its a team sport not induvidial

anyway I think this is great draw, Barca is not at their best and will give huge confidence boost to beat them + we can fix on our historic score

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Posted this in the ticket info thread but not sure if that was the right place for it so asking here instead:

I live in Barcelona so I'm hyped about the Barcelona draw in the Europa League.

Would be way easier for me to get seats in the home stands. Has anyone had expereice supporting the away team and sitting in the home stands at Camp Nou? Am I likely to get into any trouble if I cheer when Utd score, or if I bottle a Catalan when they score?
Easier to get a ticket in the home stands. Don't get one behind the North goal because that's where the old boixos nois are. The south goal there's nutters on the lower tiers. Tier 2 or 3 you should be OK. When we played them 3 or 4 years ago I got a ticket in the 2nd tier lateral on the halfway line. Cost me over €200 but didn't have any problems.

Go on to the official FC Barcelona website and leave your details so you can get notified as soon as the tickets are on sale. Failing that you can always go to the ground a few days before match day as there's always tickets on sale because a lot of the season ticket holders sell their seat for the games.

Probably a similar thing that has happened to Messi since 2015 (Neymar too for that matter), would’ve have guessed then aged 27 he’d do so little in Europe for the rest of his career?

European cup/Champions League is hard, sometimes even the best have a poor game or your team comes up against a better team. Even the very best to have ever played the game have had many struggles in Europe, Maradona & Ronaldo (Brazil) have zero EC/CL titles between them.

It’s just not as simple as ”if he was such a winner, why hasn’t he won the CL”.

Lee565

I think even a somewhat second string team could be good enough, I doubt barca will go full strength in this competition as they will likely see it beneath them.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
The mugging doesn't surprise me, that's par for the course in Barça. The rest is shocking though.
Mugging implies violence which is pretty rare in Barcelona. Normally its people taking advantage of pissed up tourists or pick pockets operating off the metro or in the Ramblas.

Keep your wits about you in Barcelona and you'll be perfectly fine. Fall asleep in a drunken stupor in the middle of the street then you're probably going to go home in your underwear but in one piece.

FiiiiveTenHaaags

Mugging implies violence which is pretty rare in Barcelona. Normally its people taking advantage of pissed up tourists or pick pockets operating off the metro or in the Ramblas.

Keep your wits about you in Barcelona and you'll be perfectly fine. Fall asleep in a drunken stupor in the middle of the street then you're probably going to go home in your underwear but in one piece.
Mostly, yeah, but there’s certain parts of the Raval that are next level sketchy.

Pickpocketing in the centre is mental, I’ll never forget coming up the steps at the Metro, putting my hand in my pocket and finding some wrong’uns hand in there. Turned round to confront and three proper crackheads scarpered. Weird moment.

Greck

Barca would have been perfectly fine getting upset by some obscure nobody. Some Uefa twat couldn't help himself.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
A very cruel draw for the last 32, but a great tie. It's a sign of the times for both clubs that it's a Europa League tie; it should be a Champions League tie between two great clubs. As long as we are able to put out a strong team, we will have every chance. It's good the second leg is at home.
I never really liked having the second leg at home in the past due to away goals hurting that little bit more if you’re nearly over the line. But now it’s definitely an advantage.

colombianmancunian

I fear two things: our record against Spanish teams and no Martinez on the first leg.

But this Barcelona side is no better than Arsenal or Liverpool which we have already defeated. They have a huge liability in Busquets and Lewandowski aside, they are pretty average player by player.

If ETH gets it right, we will send those entitled cnuts packing home.

Betson

Toughest draw we could have go but it is a tie to get excited about , looking forward to it.

Ole'sattheWheel

If we played next week I’d be worried.
We can barely score a goal at the moment and our squad is riddled with injuries, suspension, poor form and fatigue. Can’t see that improving given there’s a whole World Cup AND a winter fixture list between now and then.

Going to be a tough watch

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Ronaldo really wanted to play Champions League this year, and could have been playing Brugge or Eintracht in it now.

Except he could now play Barca with United, even if in Europa League.

Competition doesn't make man, man makes the competition. Too bad Ronaldo is in complete decline, or this could have been epic.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Again, Spanish team... sigh. At least they will try to play ball. Maguire/Lindelof vs. Lewandowski? :wenger: :drool:
We need our best squad with Varane/Martinez and a top striker signing in January to enjoy this game

TheRedHearted

Again, Spanish team... sigh. At least they will try to play ball. Maguire/Lindelof vs. Lewandowski? :wenger: :drool:
No Martinez first leg is a huge blow. Varane has to be back or we're fecked.

Hopefully Ronaldo is gone by then too.

No Martinez for the away leg, help us

All above further proves we need a CB in January. If someone played in CL are they cup tied for Europa league?
Serious question and honestly if not call up Ralf or hire someone who can find us a young fast cb to partner Martinez since varane is always out. Other option is we need a backup for Martinez himself. Maguire and lindelof aren’t what we need

always_hoping

We can't catch a break with draws we get in european/domestic cup competitions. It's 2 more games in February and against a good opponent that we haven't beaten since that CL semis in 2008. It's different Barca this time obviously, but we're not exactly great either.

Positive is it's not Sevilla I guess.
Is it really a positive?

Barcelona La liga league leaders v Sevilla just goal difference separating them from the bottom three and have lost their manager.

croadyman

4 losses in a row feck that. Time to put these cnuts in their place. No Messi no winning for these wankers. Martinez missing is a blow but hopefully we're playing eth football consistently by end of Feb.
Wish we could get an aggressive CB to cover him

croadyman

We just got to not get beat at Nou Camp then go for it at OT. Fans will need to be 12th man and make it as intimidating a experience for Barca as possible.
Yeah imagine it's 2008 again but know that's not easy as it's Europa not Champions League

Red_Aaron

Over the moon with this draw, proper club that will put on 2 great ties. I know it's the EL but this fixture will be a far bigger draw than the majority of the CL ties, hopefully I get tickets because it'll be a great event I'm sure

Probably no point discussing the actual play at this point. With the World Cup, transfer window and injuries/form there's really no telling what shape these 2 squad's will be in come late February. I'm optimistic ETH will have us purring by that point and we'll have a functioning forward line at least

Can't wait for it

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Barca will give us a good humbling and then the moans for ETH to be sacked will commence by the reactionary portion of the fanbase

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Barcelona are wank. No comparison to the great teams a few years ago. We played them 2 years in a row. 4 wins and 11:0 goals. We even gave them our best striker this season. Joke of a team, which only lives of its name and past glory.

Should be an easy win for United.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Barcelona are wank. No comparison to the great teams a few years ago. We played them 2 years in a row. 4 wins and 11:0 goals. We even gave them our best striker this season. Joke of a team, which only lives of its name and past glory.

Yes but United aren’t exactly great either

Infra-red

If we had played you four times in the past two years, you'd have scored a lot more than 11 goals.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo

Barcelona is in full reconstruction and it will take some time.
Good luck for you to play Barcelona and it is very easy for you. Then you are going to sentence a tie to Villarreal as your coach said and oh, suprise!
And with your best striker!!

Trouble is we aren't Bayern! You can make them look rubbish, but that isn't the case for the vast majority of clubs. True, they aren't the team they once were, but nor are we.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
They're La Liga leaders, they can't be utter crap.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
“Have you seen these lately” - top of La Liga. Yet Liverpool draw Real Madrid and we’re all laughing, but they’re second. Barca are a better side than us I think. Still, we can beat them and it will be a great test to see where we’re at.

BorisManUtd

Is it really a positive?

Barcelona La liga league leaders v Sevilla just goal difference separating them from the bottom three and have lost their manager.
Did not know that but I was saying it more because of Sevillla's Europa league record.

RuudTom83

Great tie!

The whole point of being in Europe is to play top teams, rather watch United go head-to-head with Barca and lose! than watch another round against Omonia Nicosia.

If/When United win it will probably be the highlight of EtH's first season.

goalscholes

This tie is perfectly set up for Frenkie to score the winner at OT and shush the Stretford End, before signing for Liverpool for £30m in the summer on half his current salary.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Barcelona is in full reconstruction and it will take some time.
Good luck for you to play Barcelona and it is very easy for you. Then you are going to sentence a tie to Villarreal as your coach said and oh, suprise!
And with your best striker!!
These upsets can happen, especially against underdogs. The team wasn't in best form, Lewandowski was with his head negotiating with you guys and Villarreal scored in the last minute with their first shot in target.

It wouldn't have happened against Barcelona though.