Bayern München v Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Souness thought Bayern were "fabulous". We scored have scored 4 goals tonight past their defence.

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
Jeeze, I've just read some slagging Rooney. He clearly wasn't fit and probably should have started on the bench - everybody blames Moyes for everything all season and maybe one of the things he does get wrong everybody blames Rooney.

It is what it is, we tried our best but ultimately outclassed by the best team in the world -be proud of the lads given the amount of stick they've had this season.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
A fit Rooney gets two goals tonight...

We lost and the hindsight brigade will have all the answers as to what we should of done but I think DM got most things right tonight....

After second bayern goal that was another shitty deflected shot, uniteds legs were gone!!!
DM wasn't much at fault tonight. The game was lost in Manchester were we played too defensively. What worries me is our attitude. We get a 1-1 draw against Bayern at home and many of us are celebrating and saying how proud they are

Loublaze

ATLien
Jeeze, I've just read some slagging Rooney. He clearly wasn't fit and probably should have started on the bench - everybody blames Moyes for everything all season and maybe one of the things he does get wrong everybody blames Rooney.

It is what it is, we tried our best but ultimately outclassed by the best team in the world -be proud of the lads given the amount of stick they've had this season.
Rooney is a big problem right now. Moyes doesnt have the balls to drop him when he should.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

I am not criticising Rooney as a player, but Moyes has to stand up for himself and should have as you said left Rooney on the bench.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
We were playing the best team in the world. Let's hang, draw, and quarter Moyes, Rooney and Evra for this disgrace.

Disappointed, but think that probably there is worse to come, regardless of who is Manager.

devilish

If Rooney isnt fit then DM shouldnt have played him. An injured player is useless against these sort of clubs.

However I wonder, does DM has the balls to keep Rooney on the bench?

holyland red

"Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"
hardly impossible. we had the chances to bury it. valencia 1/4 of a yard offside. welbz clear through on goal. rooney with an easy chance in this one. plenty of opportunities to get ahead. just don't seem to have the personnel to cling onto a lead though
We did have chances to win it, but the gulf in class was always likely to make the difference. Our players can't cling onto leads or come back after going a goal down. Players in key positions are over the hill, and we don't have real leaders in this team.

Duffy

Sourness is annoying me.
Souness is actually making some fair points about Bayern never allowing the crowd to "be nervous".

We switched off (for the first time over the 2 legs) and the best team in the world finished it.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
eins zwei drei, goodbye Moyes goodbye
Its Moyes' fault? Catch a feckin grip wee man!

FFS - we couldnt have had a tougher tie... They would have rode us even if we had Fergie. Get to grips that we dont have technically gifted players like Bayern have - that actually show up on the night. Kagawa would waltz into the Bayern team on that alone - no-one else...

redevil2

Wayne's playing 90 mins on injection. It's Moyes fault not to sub him when he's hardly effective any more. Every player wants to play but it's the manager who should learn to know their limits (injury is the worst nightmare and injection wasn't able to be working for 90 mins obviously.

Duffy

If Rooney isnt fit then DM shouldnt have played him. An injured player is useless against these sort of clubs.

However I wonder, does DM has the balls to keep Rooney on the bench?
I agree, but Fergie did the same against Bayern (and a few other teams) back in 2010. He went for it, the tactics - as with the first leg - were good and when it was drawn if you'd given me a score of 1-1 in Bayern, 2-2 on aggreagate after an hour of the second leg I'd have said "fantastic" so I won't fault anything.

I think Moyes is in a lose-lose situation from what you are saying, he would probably have been right to keep Rooney benched - if he did and it ended the same way he gets slaughtered. Given how it ended he did play Wayne and maybe he wasn't fit but he played him because it was our biggest game of the season and he's our biggest player and I understand that - I don't think it's anything to do with "having the balls to bench Rooney". Proud of the lads overall.

Hannibal

Rooney bottled that: he should've slipped Kagawa in and scored from Welbeck's cutback in 2nd.
Welbeck's cutback was the best chance in the game. Rooney should be loaned out to FC United.

Very very useless forward. How's he rated?

redevil2

Kagawa had a great game today. Worked his ass off defensively too, especially during the first half.
agreed! On a side note, today is a cup final, why would Januzaj not be given more minutes to play! His coming on for the last few mins really couldn't create magic could he? If tonight is not the time to let him shine (i believe he would have if given more time on the pitch) don't know when he should

Crackers

greasy ginfers

FFS - we couldnt have had a tougher tie... They would have rode us even if we had Fergie. Get to grips that we dont have technically gifted players like Bayern have - that actually show up on the night. Kagawa would waltz into the Bayern team on that alone - no-one else...
sorry, it was a tongue in cheek comment. I'm just miffed, that's all. While he's to blame other days, I don't blame him today.

Castia

Rooney is a big problem right now. Moyes doesnt have the balls to drop him when he should.
What are you on about? He's been scoring goals regularly in recent weeks..he's probably been our best player for the past 2 month. I fact along with DDG he's arguably been one of our best players all season.

devilish

I agree, but Fergie did the same against Bayern (and a few other teams) back in 2010. He went for it, the tactics - as with the first leg - were good and when it was drawn if you'd given me a score of 1-1 in Bayern, 2-2 on aggreagate after an hour of the second leg I'd have said "fantastic" so I won't fault anything.

I think Moyes is in a lose-lose situation from what you are saying, he would probably have been right to keep Rooney benched - if he did and it ended the same way he gets slaughtered. Given how it ended he did play Wayne and maybe he wasn't fit but he played him because it was our biggest game of the season and he's our biggest player and I understand that - I don't think it's anything to do with "having the balls to bench Rooney". Proud of the lads overall.
You may be right. However if he left Rooney on the bench then people would have said that hes got balls. SAF was accused of getting his tactics wrong once in a while but he never shyed away from making controversial decisions. He got respect for that.

It seem that Rooney is irreplaceable under Moyes which kind of put doubts whose the real manager is. Moyes cant afford that. He's already looking out of depth without having these doubts creeping in amongst fans and players

Last edited:

DomesticTadpole

It is down to the players to concentrate and Evra is getting renown for not doing that. Tonight showed why that back four needs some new recruits. It is hard to know if Buttner would have been better, could he have been worse. We will never know.

Treble

We played relatively well, they are much better than us though. It's that simple.

DomesticTadpole

What are you on about? He's been scoring goals regularly in recent weeks..he's probably been our best player for the past 2 month. I fact along with DDG he's arguably been one of our best players all season.
I don't think he means about his form, it more the point if his injury was impairing his play.

Drummer

DM wasn't much at fault tonight. The game was lost in Manchester were we played too defensively. What worries me is our attitude. We get a 1-1 draw against Bayern at home and many of us are celebrating and saying how proud they are
In other seasons you would be right but after being thumped recently by a city and Liverpool team that aren't as good as bayern it was a good result.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Probably a good idea to leg it outta here. Cant handle braindead posting slaggin off the team, when we were odds on for a hiding to nothing when the draw was made. The lads acquitted themselves as best they could, but they're not good enough. Its not Moyes' fault we didnt win ffs... We dont have quality players in CM to even pass the feckin ball. Major changes are needed. Defence was superb though. Moments of lapses cost teams & we dont have a MF to get us back into the game against good sides!

devilish

In other seasons you would be right but after being thumped recently by a city and Liverpool team that aren't as good as bayern it was a good result.

that's what worries me. Moyes has lowered our expectations so much. Instead of him stepping at United level we seem moving towards Everton. I know I may sound unfair but thats the standards that we need to set. If Moyes cant handle it, then he should resign.

redevil2

After their equaliser, if we had made some changes, and got a goal, then who knows. Seriously using subs correctly is key. Moyes still needs to learn.

Duffy

You may be right. However if he left Rooney on the bench then people would have said that hes got balls and some idea of what tactics are. It seem that Rooney is irreplaceable under Moyes which kind of put doubts whose the real manager is.
@DomesticTadpole @Loublaze - See my response to Devlish, wasn't meaning to ignore you're replies to my last post.

I think you're assuming too much saying the bolded above - you may have personally but think some will pick up on Moyes for anything and not give him credit for the way we played for 2 and a half hours of this tie sadly pal.

To put a different spin on things, not to cause an all our war in here but I think Moyes has Rooney playing as well this season, as he has in 5 years. Yes he is clearly Moyes' talisman and will likely be captain next season but I don't think Moyes thinks of him as undroppable from where I'm looking at it - different people take different views of it I suppose.

redevil2

FFS, he's playing only because he had an injection. Any manager should take that into account and deploy players accordingly!!!!

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Probably a good idea to leg it outta here. Cant handle braindead posting slaggin off the team, when we were odds on for a hiding to nothing when the draw was made. The lads acquitted themselves as best they could, but they're not good enough. Its not Moyes' fault we didnt win ffs... We dont have quality players in CM to even pass the feckin ball. Major changes are needed. Defence was superb though. Moments of lapses cost teams & we dont have a MF to get us back into the game against good sides!
overall agree with this post.

Duffy

After their equaliser, if we had made some changes, and got a goal, then who knows. Seriously using subs correctly is key. Moyes still needs to learn.
Some lads I was watching it with said the same, even myself said "get Hernandez on and stretch them!" but I bet seeing Rooney starting most were happy with Moyes - it was a mistake in hindsight maybe, but a mistake with the best intentions.

Drummer

that's what worries me. Moyes has lowered our expectations so much. Instead of him stepping at United level we seem moving towards Everton. I know I may sound unfair but thats the standards that we need to set. If Moyes cant handle it, then he should resign.
I don't think it's any harm that expectations have been lowered. The only problem will be if things don't improve.

A bigger question is what exactly is gonna be available in the summer. There is little to suggest that any united manager will be given the 100m plus that being mentioned in papers.

Given the decade long over reliance on SAF and under investment in the team, I would be very worried that we will be selling to buy...

devilish

@DomesticTadpole @Loublaze - See my response to Devlish, wasn't meaning to ignore you're replies to my last post.

I think you're assuming too much saying the bolded above - you may have personally but think some will pick up on Moyes for anything and not give him credit for the way we played for 2 and a half hours of this tie sadly pal.

To put a different spin on things, not to cause an all our war in here but I think Moyes has Rooney playing as well this season, as he has in 5 years. Yes he is clearly Moyes' talisman and will likely be captain next season but I don't think Moyes thinks of him as undroppable from where I'm looking at it - different people take different views of it I suppose.
I think that we played badly in the home game. Bayern dominated us, our 27m signing looked so out of depth and Bayern got a great result against us (1-1 at home is a killer in the CL). Today we did much better. I cant fault DM for the loss apart from maybe playing an injured player.

Controversial decisions are risky but Moyes cant keep playing safe all the time or else he end up predictable

Duffy

Interesting question - how do you think we would have faired against any other of the final 8 gents? Considering how we did against the best team in the world I reckon we'd have given them a game. as we did Bayern.

Loublaze

ATLien
He's a problem when the manager can't drop him for the good of the team. Do you think he was fit enough to play? I doubt you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.